Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? (20023 Views)

See How Much I Give My Wife To Cook Food For Us Everyday / Should I Give my working Class Wife Allowance? / Can I Give Up The Marriage At This Stage..pls Advise Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by highchiefpee(m): 11:21am On Nov 02, 2019
I think this is not right Aluko bird in English is the carmine bee eater..
nlPoster:

It's the bearded berbet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearded_barbet

It's colours are black and red with a yellow beak.

[img]https:///806/39133470470_66bc1aa976_b.jpg[/img]
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by OkoAnike(m): 11:32am On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

It means "beauty". But the name is often given to men.

Aluko doesn't mean beauty... Go back to your findings

1 Like

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by OkoAnike(m): 11:36am On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

Thanks, bro. I know no one can challenge me by giving her the name. The name will earn her respect as people will be surprised that the name is often given to men with great ancestral history. From literal interpretation, Aluko is a bird with the color that symbolizes beauty in Yoruba land.

Brother, I don't know your part of Yoruba, but with the little that I know, there is no place where Aluko symbolize beauty... Please check your findings

2 Likes

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by nlPoster: 11:38am On Nov 02, 2019
I checked carmine bee eater and it doesnt seem to be the bird in question.

Turacao is another option (it even has the Nigerian colours), the Aluko bird is associated with cam wood or red dye, so that's important to note.

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by gratefulheart(m): 11:40am On Nov 02, 2019
Aluko is a Masculine name not feminine.
Mostly Aluko is an old Family name. Search prayerfully for names for your daughter. It's the foundation for her destiny and life

Beosten:
Men, most of the time, bear the name Aluko. But I'm planning to name my daughter Aluko. What's your suggestion, please?
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by TOSIN116: 11:45am On Nov 02, 2019
nlPoster:

It's the bearded berbet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearded_barbet

It's colours are black and red with a yellow beak.

[img]https:///806/39133470470_66bc1aa976_b.jpg[/img]
op, when your daughter start growing beard you will have sense by force grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by mechanics(m): 11:55am On Nov 02, 2019
Aluko should be a surname not feminine.
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by nlPoster: 11:57am On Nov 02, 2019

Brother, I don't know your part of Yoruba, but with the little that I know, there is no place where Aluko symbolize beauty... Please check your findings

I'm just not sure why he decided to "notify" nairaland he's thinking of naming his daughter Aluko?
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by buoye1(m): 11:59am On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:
Men, most of the time, bear the name Aluko. But I'm planning to name my daughter Aluko. What's your suggestion, please?
Odidere nko?Awoko or leke-leke is also a nice one!

2 Likes

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Nobody: 11:59am On Nov 02, 2019
baby124:
That’s a very ugly bird grin

Just my thoughts as well. I beg leave this bird o. Name her Anuoluwapo.

1 Like

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by nlPoster: 12:07pm On Nov 02, 2019
I was going to say he should look for a name from the bible and give her that.

Or anything with Oluwa (God).

My research indicates the Aluko bird is associated with both positive and negative imagery, dont burden the child with all that.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by aomolola: 12:17pm On Nov 02, 2019
The kind of names people give to their wards or themselves is quite alarming . Gone are those days when people seek the face of God before naming their children. we have forgotten that d name you give to a child will go a long way in his or her life. A name could either make u or destroy u. For d fact that you love a particular name doesn't mean it is suitable for your child. Let God lead you.

3 Likes

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by kaziblake(f): 12:21pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

Thanks, bro. I know no one can challenge me by giving her the name. The name will earn her respect as people will be surprised that the name is often given to men with great ancestral history. From literal interpretation, Aluko is a bird with the color that symbolizes beauty in Yoruba land.
Stigmatization from bullies using her name to insult her.. I was a victim till I forced my dad to allow me use KY second name.. Pls don't make her aluko bikonu

1 Like

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Nomayora(m): 12:22pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

Ewatomi
Ewawumi
Ewatomiwa
Omelewa
Ewa
Ewaife

There are just lot of beautiful names you can name her. Why Aluko?
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Marley147: 12:49pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:
what's the meaning of ALUKO pls?
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by bossrillboss: 12:54pm On Nov 02, 2019
name her buhari.shikena.case closed
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by ajl: 1:00pm On Nov 02, 2019
Simply exchange the "u" for "i" and you got yourself a potential most richest black woman in the world.

On a serious note, you can name your child any name you wish. Especially if the name has some symbolic meaning as you pointed out.
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Powersurge: 1:52pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

Aluko is a male's name. it sounds masculine. it is masculine. For instance, Oyin sounds feminine. It's a feminine name. If someone had called Oyin, and a male appeared, it's a psychological turnoff.

1 Like

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by bizhop01: 2:19pm On Nov 02, 2019
Oluku is better
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by PRODUTIM1(m): 2:38pm On Nov 02, 2019
beresponsible:
Give am
This one don't even have sense...
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by omotoyossi(m): 2:53pm On Nov 02, 2019
Lol u are a wicked man
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by lx3as(m): 4:45pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

Yes. To beautify women in those days, osun is usually used. But a bird known as Aluko has the color of osùn

If it's the meaning of the name you so cherish, then these are cool for female: Ọnà (if you're from Ekiti or Ìjèsà; that's where Aluko, a male surname, is popular; Ọnà [Ẹwà] means beauty or what one uses to beautify) and Ọ̀sẹwà or Ṣewa. Better still, Àlàkẹ́ is a beautiful female name also.

There was a time a friend wanted to name his daughter 'Àrẹ'; when people around started saying it's for male, he changed it to 'Areola' and the name is so perfect for the girl.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Legendguru: 4:51pm On Nov 02, 2019
Oh
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Biglittlelois(f): 5:00pm On Nov 02, 2019
budaatum:

It's your daughter. Do what pleases you! I know a person named Blessing Aluko Banke. The beauty of the name so pleases me that that is exactly what I call her.

@emboldened grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Crieff(m): 5:28pm On Nov 02, 2019
lx3as:

If it's the meaning of the name you so cherish, then these are cool for female: Ọnà (if you're from Ekiti or Ìjèsà; that's where Aluko, a male surname, is popular; Ọnà [Ẹwà] means beauty or what one uses to beautify) and Ọ̀sẹwà. Better still, Àlàkẹ́ is a beautiful female name also.

There was a time a friend wanted to name his daughter 'Àrẹ'; when people around started saying it's for male, he changed it to 'Areola' and the name is so perfect for the girl.

What's the meaning of Are?
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Caseless: 6:49pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

Yes. To beautify women in those days, osun is usually used. But a bird known as Aluko has the color of osùn
of all the names in the world, this is what you want to give your daughter. It could mean something good in Yoruba, but it sounds pretty ugly.

What a name...

Name her whatever sha...
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by budaatum: 6:59pm On Nov 02, 2019
Must say, I am surprised this is getting so much attention! You'd think when the time comes, we will all be there making what is bound to be a very beautiful daughter with op!

I promise you op, that when you've done making your daughter and she arrives, if you do not name her as you have been inspired to, I will hunt you down, take your daughter from you and name her Aluko myself!

1 Like

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Rubbiish(m): 7:19pm On Nov 02, 2019
If u give ur daughter that name, when she grow up she will change it. She won't be happy answering such a name when she is of age.
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Beosten(m): 7:54pm On Nov 02, 2019
budaatum:
Must say, I am surprised this is getting so much attention! You'd think when the time comes, we will all be there making what is bound to be a very beautiful daughter with op!

I promise you op, that when you've done making your daughter and she arrives, if you do not name her as you have been inspired to, I will hunt you down, take your daughter from you and name her Aluko myself!

Lol. My daughter is about to arrive. I'm in love with her already. I just want a Yoruba name with deep meaning. I don't want foreign name like Hebrew names. Laslas Israel still won't give you visa upon bearing Hezikiah and co

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by temmym4(m): 7:55pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

Bro. I'm gonna be realistic and sincere to you.

ALUKO is actually is a bird that symbolizes beauty.
It sounds masculine, not just that, it is actually used by our fore fathers as a SURNAME.

No offence, i know u have the right to give your child the name you wish, but why will you want to give a female child that?

I know u want something very unique but to be candid, there are so many beautiful, feminine, rich and deep meaning yoruba names that symbolizes beauty for a female child other than that.

You ll hardly see a male child bearing that as his First name. U ll only find that as a last/Surname.

Naming your female child ALUKO will make anyone stare at you in shock or amazement, especially if u live in south west (Am assuming u live abroad to even think of this in the first place)

Expect some incovinience for her while growing up so you will have lots of questions to answer and Explanations to make, especially in the country.

Dont be suprised when she eventually change her first name later on.

Those who are encouraging you, will they really do that to their own female child?

It's your daughter though, u v got every right to name her whatever u wish to.
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by budaatum: 8:00pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

Lol. My daughter is about to arrive. I'm in love with her already. I just want a Yoruba name with deep meaning. I don't want foreign name like Hebrew names. Laslas Israel still won't give you visa upon bearing Hezikiah and co
Well, me, I've said my bit. Something inspired you while she is being formed in the womb. So, be inspired!
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by lx3as(m): 8:23pm On Nov 02, 2019
Crieff:

What's the meaning of Are?
Head, Leader, General, President.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Should A Father Make Love To His Daughter / 8th Wedding Anniversary Celebration Of A Nairalander (Photos) / Should I Greet & Call My Husband's Younger Sister 'Aunty'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.