Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (27971 Views)

Despite Importation Ban, Foreign Rice Floods Nigerian Markets / Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Indispensable85(m): 8:14am On Nov 03, 2019
Some people here are just too dumb.
I'm not sure they've ever sat down to take stock of the cost of starting a fish farm.
And where will you even get the capital from?
Nigeria is one of the most difficult countries to obtain loan for business.
Buhari lacks economic intelligence that's the truth.There are certain things you put in place before shutting borders.
The man is empty upstairs walahi! Everything in the market has shot up,the masses are almost suffocating to death.
Mark my words,we're just going to suffer for nothing.
Buhari is the ambassador of hardship and a demon from the pit of hell. Nothing is working in Nigeria today,absolutely nothing. He failed woefully in all his campaign promises.I'm still wondering how we throw up dullards as leaders in this country with the millions of intelligent men and women scattered all over.
What a shame!

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:15am On Nov 03, 2019
niaralandtopuser:

Only you will farm rice, farm fish , farm chicken.

There is no country in the world that don't depend on export. Banning some products to favor one part of the country is not a good way to govern

Conspiracy theorist. If rice cannot grow in your area, you people there can go into processing. Lagos state is partnering with Kebbi to process their rice.

Don't be a cog in the will of our common progress, brother.

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Afonja007: 8:15am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria. I was watching their TV news as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria. So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news, good thing Buhari can't read.
so you went around to interview Ghanaians? Keep deceiving your self
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:15am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria. I was watching their TV news as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria. So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news, good thing Buhari can't read.
please say what you know. At the border duties are paid just like the port. The stock fish is a dutiable product and also perishable which importers prefers Cotonuo port to pur port because of delay and theft. NB land border is more expensive than sea port because after you have paid duty in Cotonuo you will still pay full import duty.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by babyfaceafrica: 8:16am On Nov 03, 2019
smile11s:

Soup without okporoko is not a complete soup. Swallow dey make sense when you swallow and then use your tongue to find okporoko
use periwinkle and crayfish
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by livebyday(m): 8:16am On Nov 03, 2019
Mcreloaded:
In the early 70s to early 80s head of stock fish head was not sold or eaten in Nigeria.
Then kpanla was very dry and you need saw blade to cut it to pieces.

When the economy started to go bad in the mid 80s thats when we started seeing kpanla head for sale in the markets.
How things have changed

Èrama domô

How old are you sir ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by sonature1: 8:16am On Nov 03, 2019
Onlydaughter:
Not just stock fish, sellers have taken advantage of border closure to increase the price of everything in the market.

I hope this is a way forward sha. Let us not come and suffer in vain eventually.

A typical Nigerian is full of evil.

We use religion (both Islam and Christianity) to hide our evils.

I remember some years back, I went to the market to buy ordinary pumpkin (ugu).

I was shocked when the seller gave me a little quantity of pumpkin for #100, saying that dollar is high.

And I was wondering the business that the high USD-Naira exchange rate had with pumpkin.

Today, the blame game has been shifted to border closure.

When the border is finally opened, they will look for another excuse.

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by berrystunn(m): 8:19am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

Which kind free trade. We've been warning about foreign regions using smaller African countries as conduit to flood our market with products.

Africans risk to their life in the Mediterranean Sea just to go work in a poultry house. Meanwhile frozen chicken are being sold to us in Africa.

Why can people start fish and poultry farms, Africa have the land mass empty wetin for it's citizens to start something. But no, we want the easy way out

Youths are lazy
Looking for short cut.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by hoyze24: 8:20am On Nov 03, 2019
Why do we consume stock fish? All the nutrients had been removed and we still it's great to eat and even more expensive than local fishes.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by nototribalist: 8:21am On Nov 03, 2019
sonature1:

You were making sense until you got to the emboldened.

Does Nigeria also subsidize female hair and spare parts?

I am not against border closure, but Buhari and his goons should fix our power to reduce the cost of producing goods locally.

nothing concerned government with extension hair.
But the importers enjoy subsidized dollar rates in Nigeria. If you're a genuine importer you are entitled to CBN dollar rates, not black market rate.
You see where the subsidy is?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by noble71(m): 8:21am On Nov 03, 2019
itunity007:
and that's what we are saying when is the time right?
The government would have given notice to the general public before embarking on closing the border.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:21am On Nov 03, 2019
noble71:
Nigerians can complain for Africa!!!
Price of rice has increased! Yes! Why not go into agriculture and make millions.
There is stock fish scarcity why not go into fish farming and make millions.
They will complain that unemployment rate has increased but I see lots of opportunities to make money in this closed border.
China developed because their government ban importation of many things.
I support this border closure! It's just that the timing was wrong.
before China closed all its border (sea, land and air) you forgot to tell the world that they made light stable, road perfect and friendly government policies. Can an aspiring farmer get loans in the bank with running any money or collateral? Do you know that cost of production in Nigeria is high? What has government done about that? So because there is opportunity does the government give chances to fufil our dreams?

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by sonature1: 8:22am On Nov 03, 2019
Indispensable85:
I'm not sure they've ever sat down to take stock of the cost of starting a fish farm.
Buhari lacks economic intelligence that's the truth.There are certain things you put in place before shutting borders.
The man is empty upstairs walahi! Everything in the market has shot up,the masses are almost suffocating to death.
Buhari is the ambassador of hardship and a demon from the pit of hell. Nothing is working in Nigeria today,absolutely nothing. He failed woefully in all his campaign promises.I'm still wondering how we throw up dullards as leaders in this country with the millions of intelligent men and women scattered all over.
What a shame!

I read with rapt attention in the hopes that you would make a point.

You have no idea how disappointed I was.

You just ended up attacking Buhari - something that everyone else does.

I was expecting to read something that I didn't know from your text

Disappointed

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 03, 2019
WORLDPEACE:

Conspiracy theorist. If rice cannot grow in your area, you people there can go into processing. Lagos state is partnering with Kebbi to process their rice.

Don't be a cog in the will of our common progress, brother.
We should turn the whole country to a rice feild?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by tck2000(m): 8:23am On Nov 03, 2019
id4sho:

it's air dried after partially been rotten. I wachted a documentary on it. The cod oil which is a very important nutrients has been extracted from it. it came to Nigerian during the civil war became of it protein content though in small value. it made from all this Scandinavian countries and icy regions
oh
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by nototribalist: 8:25am On Nov 03, 2019
Afonja007:
so you went around to interview Ghanaians? Keep deceiving your self
you really have problem in reading,

I said I was watching their news channel on DStv call Joy news. Tufiakwa

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:25am On Nov 03, 2019
Brighte:
Wow! Good development
Man shall not live by stock fish alone.
Cray fish is better

Open doors to fish farming in Nigeria
and you think Fish farming is cheap and easy?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by chronique(m): 8:27am On Nov 03, 2019
Afobear:
Nigerians are really dumb !!! See them shouting go into fish farming like deranged folks . Don't you all know that stockfish which is a cod fish isn't farmable in Nigeria ? Una go just open una dirty mouth de talk wetin una no Sabi

I tire for them. They would just utter stupid things to justify everything govt does. Apparently, most people do not know that there are certain types of fishes not found in Nigerian waters and the few types found in Nigerian waters are pretty expensive. Even catfish being farmed here is more expensive than frozen fishes being imported.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by CyberWolf: 8:28am On Nov 03, 2019
Indispensable85:
What a shame!
See bros, I don’t like This APC administration but let’s tell ourselves the truth, this border closure is in the right direction. If we keep telling ourselves that it’s not yet time, it’s not the right time, we will never do it. Is it gonna be difficult initially? Yes but in the long run, the positive impact will be felt for ages to come. All countries that are self sufficient started this way and keep improving so, if they can do it, we also can do it. China did it, Singapore did it, Malaysia did it so, why can’t we do it? ..... Abeg let’s tell ourselves the truth.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:29am On Nov 03, 2019
Opiletool:
But why should stock fish be scarce in Nigeria when we have waters and fishermen?
Wetin dm con dey fish?
Those fishermen have never been encouraged by our government. Maybe this border closure is a good thing after all.
what we have in our water that is
of high demand but now a contra ban is tilapia and cat Fish. You can't farm makreal (titus) or kote, crocker, shawa in our water they won't survive
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 8:29am On Nov 03, 2019
Empredboy:
before China closed all its border (sea, land and air) you forgot to tell the world that they made light stable, road perfect and friendly government policies. Can an aspiring farmer get loans in the bank with running any money or collateral? Do you know that cost of production in Nigeria is high? What has government done about that? So because there is opportunity does the government give chances to fufil our dreams?
China remain the biggest importer of pork meat. They are also one of the biggest importer of animal feeds.
They only closed their borders to what they have in abundance not things that are not available

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by sonature1: 8:29am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
nothing concerned government with extension hair.
But the importers enjoy subsidized dollar rates in Nigeria. If you're a genuine importer you are entitled to CBN dollar rates, not black market rate.
You see where the subsidy is?

I don't think they are Ghanaians.

I think they are Nigerians.

I have an Igbo friend who sells in Ghana.

The border closure has run him out of business because, according to him, it is cheaper for his product to land in Nigeria than Ghana.

When it lands in Naija, he will move them to Ghana by road.

The whole thing is making sense to me now that the border has been closed, but I cannot get the details of how he's affected now because the closure has run him out of business.

Consequently, he borrowed money from me and has been dodging me. I just too angry to have a conversation with him.

However, I think many Nigerians are feeling this heat just like our neighbors. And those who enjoy the subsidy must be Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:30am On Nov 03, 2019
netpro:
Instead of wailing, this should motivate folks to venture into Agric business like Fishing.
and fishing is cheap and easy? How many fresh graduates can get loan without collateral?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 8:31am On Nov 03, 2019
mexyk:

Better wake from your slumber. What exactly is wrong with what he said? Firstly, we need to start thinking about import substitutions and how to improve them from our end. The catfish many people rear have so much potential, with some value addition like drying or smoking.
I don't think you read his comment well. He wants us to rear stockfish in Nigeria.

That aside!

Do you know that there are people who don't eat catfish simply because they consider it a carnivore? I don't understand why Nigeria had to be different. Other countries have thriving economies even with the imports they make.

Stockfish has no competition in Nigeria. It is a brand of fish on its own and cannot be produced in Africa generally because we do not have glacial icy salt waters on the continent.

If we wish to export our locally made goods we should also open our border for goods we cannot produce.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Beremx(f): 8:31am On Nov 03, 2019
naijadrivablog:
Hmm. I am blessed to know a former Deputy Director of NAQS and he told me how he went to Tromsø to see how stock fish are cured and after that trip, he doesn't eat stock fish again.

The Norwegians that produce this stock fish (okporoko) don't eat it. It is for export only.

Just take the issue of rice from Thailand (5-10yrs stored rice sold to us) as a related case.
Even America imports stock fish. Stop being ignorant. Nigeria is not the only country that imports stockfish. Do you know how rich stockfish is? Google it Up
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by kevoh(m): 8:32am On Nov 03, 2019
I never liked okporoko/stockfish anyway. I don't understand the craze for it by Nigerians, especially the people of Eastern region.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:32am On Nov 03, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
They closed seaports too? Cos I don't see what border closure gotta do with this undecided
its time consuming to clear goods at our port since its a perishable it's faster and easier to take to Cotonuo port then pay a full duty at the land border
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by nototribalist: 8:34am On Nov 03, 2019
sonature1:

I don't think they are Ghanaians.

I think they are Nigerians.

I have an Igbo friend who sells in Ghana.

The border closure has run him out of business because, according to him, it is cheaper for his product to land in Nigeria than Ghana.

When it lands in Naija, he will move them to Ghana by road.

The whole thing is making sense to me now that the border has been closed, but I cannot get the details of how he's affected now because the closure has run him out of business.

Consequently, he borrowed money from me and has been dodging me. I just too angry to have a conversation with him.

However, I think many Nigerians are feeling this heat just like our neighbors. And those who enjoy the subsidy must be Nigerians

West African countries all the way from Mali down to Benin republic come into Nigeria to buy goods that they sell in their countries. I know a Liberian lady who comes to aspanda trade Fair to buy hairs and cosmetic products

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:34am On Nov 03, 2019
niaralandtopuser:

China remain the biggest importer of pork meat. They are also one of the biggest importer of animal feeds.
They only closed their borders to what they have in abundance not things that are not available
what do we really have in abundance that wont increase the local price?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Afonja007: 8:35am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
you really have problem in reading,

I said I was watching their news channel on DStv call Joy news. Tufiakwa
and your happy that Ghanaians can not take what they bought in Nigeria home?traders are the ones paying the price
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 8:36am On Nov 03, 2019
ednut1:
it can be imported thru apapa. Enter the business na
Noted. Maybe you should research on why people choose Cotuonu port than Apapa.

Let me give you a hint
*High Taxes & Tariffs
*Theft & Vandalism
*Unstable import laws
*Bad road network
*Stress

To name a few.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Opiletool(m): 8:37am On Nov 03, 2019
Empredboy:
what we have in our water that is
of high demand but now a contra ban is tilapia and cat Fish. You can't farm makreal (titus) or kote, crocker, shawa in our water they won't survive

I never knew this. Thanks for the information.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

My Foodie Visit To Sonoma, California / Young Man Makes Pepper Soup With Bush Rat After Hunting It Down. Photos / How to Make Kidney Beans Sauce (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.