Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,808,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market (27982 Views)

Samsung Is Killing It With Innovation!! Check Out The New Crazy Galaxy A80!! / How Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus Beats Iphone X / Xiaomi Redmi 5 Review: A Worthy Mid-range Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by DrNueLpureHoney: 7:34am On Nov 02, 2019
Ok
Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by hustlelegit(m): 7:35am On Nov 02, 2019
Ovie56:
Anyway Majority of Samsung phones sales worldwide are in the mid range, the flagship fails to compete with apple every year in terms of sales, back to the topic Nigerians are now realizing the sub par product Transsion is pushing out but still it'll take years to establish a foothold in Nigeria market as Transsion has.

IPhone user spotted ;Da Samsung s10plus completely destroyed iPhone xs max and iPhone 11 max in terms of display and performance, so how is it failing in sales?

9 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by edoairways: 7:35am On Nov 02, 2019
Opistorincos:
No be only take over, na take under. Have you seen the number of people using Xiaomi phones?
They are few
Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Growingrace: 7:35am On Nov 02, 2019
As for me Samsung is not negotiable.. Using my low economy A10s and it feel like camon 200...lols...

5 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Kalapizim(m): 7:38am On Nov 02, 2019
Early morning joke grin

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:38am On Nov 02, 2019
SAMSUNG: THE KING OF PHONES.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by edoairways: 7:40am On Nov 02, 2019
Krak:

Nokia and Blackberry said the same thing years ago. Where are they today?
Nokia lost out when they didn't stick to android but windows. BlackBerry lost out when they allowed bbm on android. Samsung is fighting tool and nail to secure large shares from Africa's top market by introducing mid range phones however it too late.

4 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by obi58: 7:40am On Nov 02, 2019
Samsung will always be Samsung but without doubt Xiaomi is the phone taking over majority of the Nigerian mid range market without a shadow of doubt. They offer way more value for money than Samsung.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Opistorincos(m): 7:40am On Nov 02, 2019
edoairways:

They are few

Ah, few as in thousands of them?

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 02, 2019
its one of those things you have to try.
i remember when a colleague was given an s9 as company phone.
this is a guy who had been using a tecno because he was cheap
the guy was weak at the speed with which the phone was set up
no hanging/freezing,

but you have to experience these things. until then you too will be deceiving yourself that phones limited to west africa are a match for global brands

samsung is slowly rolling out thier galaxy a7, a8, a9 and co. proper market segmentation. you don't have money for a note or a galaxy S? no problem.

of course its also possible that Samsung has decided to get into social media and beat transsion at its own game

6 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by ityP(m): 7:41am On Nov 02, 2019
obi58:
Samsung will always be Samsung but without doubt Xiaomi is the phone taking over majority of the Nigerian mid range market without a shadow of doubt.

There is no doubt about this

6 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by hisgrace090: 7:42am On Nov 02, 2019
iammo:

Samsung is ten times better than the fake ass tecno and infinix fraudsters, techno and infinix makers need to be prosecuted by SON for scamming people... thier phones are preloaded with harmfull softwares that makes the phone run very slow after some months, or the board just packoff without any excuse

Your point is the worst problem of techno.

3 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Sayboy: 7:43am On Nov 02, 2019
I know it can be a lot frustrating to apply for jobs and get no response, that's why I want to assist you with my CV writing skills.

I help people write CVs that are irresistible to their potentials employees.

And this is why I am different from others, I will rewrite for CV for 3k, but you have a warrantee for 30 days if you don't get an interview call.

This is why I am unique, my clients have been called for tests at Schlumberger, Mobil, KPMG, PG, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, and recently Stanbic IBTC.

Ask for proof if you are in doubt, a stitch in time saves nine. Make the move; rewrite your CV now✍.

Reach out to 08132145325

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by udemzyudex(m): 7:43am On Nov 02, 2019
Yeah ,they quickly took advantage of USA, Huawei issue.

Though flash ship phones brings in more money but there is also a probability that those who purchased the midrange will at a point switch to flash ship if they enjoy using the product.

3 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by edoairways: 7:43am On Nov 02, 2019
Opistorincos:

Ah, few as in thousands of them?
They few persons using that device in Nigeria probably in Lagos
Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by hisgrace090: 7:44am On Nov 02, 2019
ominilongest:
o boy
I just get one Samsung s7
d camera beats canon 12 or 24 or whatever
damn
Samsung is bae grin

I believe techno do exaggerate their phone specifications.

3 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Opistorincos(m): 7:46am On Nov 02, 2019
edoairways:

I personally know 5 people using redmi. I have three redmi devices. Used about 5 this year and sold it to people around. For more information, ask noobody, protein0 and macabeyland

3 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by udemzyudex(m): 7:46am On Nov 02, 2019
Abiodunspectre:
TECNO has registered their brand in the heart of Nigerians. There's nothing Samsung can do to change that.

Thank God for Tecno,I still remember TecnoP3,N3,M3 etc,if not for Tecno the likes of Samsung will still be ripping us off with wack spec and huge money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by edoairways: 7:48am On Nov 02, 2019
Opistorincos:

I personally know 5 people using redmi. I have three redmi devices. Used about 5 this year and sold it to people around. For more information, ask noobody, protein0 and macabeyland
That is you however the reality on ground shows xiaomi has a long way to go in pushing their products in the market

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Ayomarcel(m): 7:49am On Nov 02, 2019
This is a great article definitely on point.. Infinix and Tecno keeps doing the same for us.. No new features on their phones.. And sometimes the quality of their phones ain't worth it.. But I think I will go for Xiaomi Red note 8. It's in the range of the Samsung A series.

5 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by EkwensuAmosu1: 7:49am On Nov 02, 2019
[s]
post=83671875:
SAMSUNG: THE KING OF PHONES.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 02, 2019
Taking over or have taken over?
Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by franzis(m): 7:52am On Nov 02, 2019
Get cases and screen guards for
Samsung Galaxy A10 , A10s , A20 , A30, A30s , A50 , A50s , A70 , A80

Xiaomi Mi 9 , Mi 9T , Redmi K20 , Redmi K20 Pro ,
Redmi Go , Redmi 7A , Redmi 7 , Redmi Note 7/Note 7 Pro

Huawei Y9 Prime 2019 , Y5 2019 , Y6 Prime 2019 , Y7 Prime 2019 , P30 Lite , Y9 2019 , Nova 3i

Nokia 7.2, 6.2 , 3.2 , 4.2 , 8.1 , 7.1 , 6.1 Plus /X6 , 5.1 Plus /X5 , 8.1 , 8 , 8 Sirroco , 2.1 , 3.1 , 5.1 , 6.1 , 2, 3 , 1

Google Pixel , Pixel XL , Pixel 2 , Pixel 2 xL , Pixel 3 , Pixel 3 XL , Pixel 4 , Pixel 4 XL

Buy online @ konga.com/merchant/bestprice

Call/WhatsApp 080-6583-3184 for your orders

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by MrBONE2(m): 7:53am On Nov 02, 2019
DonBenny77:

Story I'm one of those who dumped Tecno for Samsung this year and it's been a wonderful experience. Something I feel glad my Tecnco was stolen.

grin

2 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by udemzyudex(m): 7:53am On Nov 02, 2019
Krak:

Nokia and Blackberry said the same thing years ago. Where are they today?

Don't compare Nokia and Blackberry with Tecno.

We all know android is the most popular operating system being used in Nigeria, customers evolve but the brand refused to.

From symbian,Nokia refuse to produce their smartphones with Android instead they tried to create their own operating system which was a total failure from there they move to windows which was also a bad deal.

Bear in mind , Nigerians haven seen Tecno with 3.5 Inches display screen and Android operating system didn't even waste time to switch,I was a symbian fan boy and switch to android.

Imagine buying a android phone for #12k then,tell me Which other brand did that? I'm talking about 2011,2012.

Same with blackberry, people were getting tired of moving around with charger, every thing got bad when they allowed android to use BBM.

That was the end of it.

You see,don't compare cos Tecno have come a long way.

4 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by DlawTECHY(m): 7:54am On Nov 02, 2019
edoairways:

I am in Akwa ibom state.. I use a Xiaomi device... grin

6 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by richard870(m): 7:57am On Nov 02, 2019
Abiodunspectre:
TECNO has registered their brand in the heart of Nigerians. There's nothing Samsung can do to change that.
Gbam!

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by MichaelUweh(m): 7:57am On Nov 02, 2019
I hereby invite all Samsung users to quickly join this long standing organisation " The Samsung Users Organisation Of Nigeria And Diaspora " (SUOND) with Headquarters here in Nigeria @ 305 ORON RD, UYO, AKS and international Headquarters @OLIVE SPRING HOUSE SWITZERLAND and stand a chance to visit any country of your choice for holiday. strictly for Samsung Users only. Call for more information: 08129810908.

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by AlphaStyles(m): 7:58am On Nov 02, 2019
Carmit:
This post is very very on point.
Check throughout Nigeria these days....more and more people are opting for mid range Samsung smartphones.
And honestly, I think infinix, tecno and itel have overstayed their welcome.
They have become very boring.
be decieving your self
Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by richard870(m): 7:59am On Nov 02, 2019
9jayes:
I have never for once used Tecno, either LG, Samsung or iPhone.
Nairaland should create a VIP Section for IPhone and Samsung users like us, mixing us with Itel, Techno & Infinix users is not fair at all.�����

Btw, I buy and sell all kinds of funds at a juicy rate see my signature.
So typical of a primitive thinker

2 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by michealdeco: 7:59am On Nov 02, 2019
NaijaTechGuy:
Over the years in Nigeria, Samsung has been one of those brands that build devices for premium users. Their flagship devices in the S series and Note series are highly rated among users in the Nigerian Android community. Considering the specifications their flagship smartphones come with, I wouldn't actually blame them for putting the devices at price range they usually sell it.

This year Samsung released about 5-6 premium devices - Samsung Galaxy S 10, Samsung Galaxy S 10 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S10e (This is the smallest and cheapest version of the Samsung Galaxy Series), Samsung Galaxy S10 5G (The 5G variant of the S Series devices), Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus.

All these devices cost between N100,000- N350,000 depending on the variant you choose to buy. If Samsung had decided to stick with the usual yearly line up they would still make money, they're a big company and it's quite easy for them to make huge sales. However, Samsung decided to enter the mid-range smartphone segment that has been dominated by the Transsion boys for a while (By Transsion boys - I mean Tecno, Infinix and Itel) . This move has disrupted the market massively.

Transsion Holdings business model is quite easy to notice if you are very observant - Itel devices handle the entry-level smartphones for the lower class of the economy, while Tecno and Infinix build devices for the middle class.

The purchasing power of the middle-class all together trumps the ones of both the elites and low-class part of the economy, giving Transsion a lot of customers to push their products to and the business model worked extremely well for them till Samsung, Xiaomi and Nokia came into the picture.

Samsung, Xiaomi and Nokia are dragging the community away from Tecno and Infinix because of two main reasons

1.Tecno and Infinix suck at sending updates : There's nothing customers love more than constant updates, even if it's not a full OS upgrade, minor software updates gives users a very subtle impression that the brand still knows their device exists and is working to improve it. The Transsion boys really suck at this.

2.Tecno and Infinix aren't totally innovative: When it comes to design aesthetics you would agree with me that there hasn't been any mind-blowing design from these two brands. All they do is take cues from other brands and add minor design changes.

The difference between the brands are quite obvious. I know you're judging me for comparing the transsion boys to global brands but I believe they can do better. For example only the Tecno Spark 3 Pro was confirmed to receive Android 10 and it's still in beta - You can access that on Tecno's page by googling "Tecno Spark 3 Pro Android Q beta program". That's one device out of over 20 other recent ones out there they confirmed is getting the update and like I always say -That sucks.

Samsung on the other hand is taking advantage of the fact that they are more popular to stay ahead of Xiaomi and Nokia. I was talking to a friend about this some days ago and he made some very interesting points.

1.Most people are skeptical of using Xiaomi because of the "Chinko" factor

2.Nokia on the other hand just came back to the market after their failed partnership with Microsoft and only extreme loyalists would go back to them. However, Nokia would sell more in Nigeria than Xiaomi because of their previous reputation.

On my own part I feel the "Chinko" factor is a misconception. Xiaomi devices are awesome, the Android OS running on MIUI is amazing and it's one of the best I've seen so far. However, Xiaomi would have to battle that while Samsung would be on a cruise in the market.

Samsung's A Series is their response to the mid-range segment and boy are they working wonders. The smallest device in the lineup the Galaxy A10 has 2GB RAM , an Exynos Processor and 32GB of internal storage and the device costs less than N40,000.

Samsung has literally a device on every price range from 36,000 - 120,000 naira. Here's a list of devices on their lineup.

Samsung Galaxy A10 & A10s

Samsung Galaxy A20 & A20s

Samsung Galaxy A30 & A30s

Samsung Galaxy A50 & A50s

Samsung Galaxy A70 & A70s

Samsung Galaxy A80

Samsung Galaxy A90

Samsung released 12 phones covering literally every reasonable price range in a space of one year and the phones have been a hit. I use a Samsung device and I've received updates more than 4 times in less than 4 months.

Updates lets users enjoy their phones for as long as they want and only upgrade when they want to, Transsion's business model of refusing to push constant updates so customers would buy new phones isn't acceptable and if care isn't taken, they'll lose a lot of customers to Samsung and the new boys in the Nigerian smartphone market.

Like my friend says

http:///s7e01f13e191101en_ng

Sorry bro, Samsung ain't talking over the mid-range category. Xiaomi, umidigi, oukitel and co are the ones taking over the mid-range category
Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by PageBestComment: 8:02am On Nov 02, 2019
Don't compare Samsung with all these Chinco phones.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why You Didn't Receive Your Own Free 1gb From Mtn / Recommemded Ucbrowser Add-ons To Download / See The Origin Of The Name "Bluetooth"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.