Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,026 members, 7,807,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

The Lord's Prayer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Lord's Prayer (1588 Views)

The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue / Pentecostal Churches And Our Lord's Prayer. / "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lord's Prayer by cashflowpc(m): 3:58pm On May 22, 2007
Our Father, who art in heaven,

hallowed be thy name.

Thy Kingdom come,

thy will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses,

as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen

The Challenge

I cannot say OUR if I live only for myself.

I Cannot say FATHER if I do not endeavor each day to act like His child.

I cannot say WHO ART IN HEAVEN if I am laying up no treasure there.

I cannot say HALLOWED BE THY NAME if I am not striving for holiness.

I cannot say THY KINGDOM COME if I am not doing all in my power to hasten that wonderful event.

I cannot say THY WILL BE DONE if I am disobedient to His word.

I cannot say ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN if I will not serve Him here and now.

I cannot say GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD if I am dishonest or seeking things by subterfuge.

I cannot say FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES if I harbor a grudge against anyone.

I cannot say LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION if I deliberately place myself in its path.

I cannot say DELIVER US FROM EVIL if I do not put on the whole armor of God.

I cannot say THINE IS THE KINGDOM if I do not give the King the loyalty due him from a faithful subject.

I cannot say THE POWER if I fear what others may do.

I cannot say THE GLORY if I am seeking honor only for myself.

I cannot say FOREVER if the horizon of my life is bounded by the things of today.
Re: The Lord's Prayer by TellyB(m): 7:18pm On May 22, 2007
Is the topic not quite misleading? Good intentions, perhaps; but method of delivery. . .??
Re: The Lord's Prayer by mrpataki(m): 8:20pm On May 22, 2007
cashflowpc:

CHALLENGING THE LORD'S PRAYER

I cannot say OUR if I live only for myself.

I Cannot say FATHER if I do not endeavor each day to act like His child.

I cannot say WHO ART IN HEAVEN if I am laying up no treasure there.

I cannot say HALLOWED BE THY NAME if I am not striving for holiness.

I cannot say THY KINGDOM COME if I am not doing all in my power to hasten that wonderful event.

I cannot say THY WILL BE DONE if I am disobedient to His word.

I cannot say ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN if I will not serve Him here and now.

I cannot say GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD if I am dishonest or seeking things by subterfuge.

I cannot say FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES if I harbor a grudge against anyone.

I cannot say LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION if I deliberately place myself in its path.

I cannot say DELIVER US FROM EVIL if I do not put on the whole armor of God.

I cannot say THINE IS THE KINGDOM if I do not give the King the loyalty due him from a faithful subject.

I cannot say THE POWER if I fear what others may do.

I cannot say THE GLORY if I am seeking honor only for myself.

I cannot say FOREVER if the horizon of my life is bounded by the things of today.

I will suggest you refine the topic headliner! Interesting though wink
Re: The Lord's Prayer by dinnerm(f): 12:03am On May 23, 2007
its cool,but i dont get the point,could u modernize it.
Re: The Lord's Prayer by thesilent1(m): 11:11am On May 23, 2007

i thought there was a difference between a prayer and a statement?

the above is a prayer, a plea, a person humbling themselves to another by virtue of them declaring that they need the person being prayed to.

if however i make the above as statements of fact while yet living a life that contradicts that which i claim, then some will simply call that hypocrisy and that dear friend, has been alive for a looooong time.
Re: The Lord's Prayer by TellyB(m): 12:02pm On May 23, 2007
Yep - that's right. But te hypocrisy of some is not the same thing as providing grounds for "challenging the Lord's prayer". Being challenged by that prayer is one thing; but challenging that prayer is quite another thing! cheesy
Re: The Lord's Prayer by thesilent1(m): 12:04pm On May 23, 2007
jhn 8: 32 - simplicity
Re: The Lord's Prayer by donnie(m): 4:49pm On Jun 08, 2007
I do not pray that prayer
Re: The Lord's Prayer by TellyB(m): 11:07pm On Jun 08, 2007
@cashflowpc,

Wonderful! I see you've fine-tuned your post to make it more understandable. Many blessings. smiley

-------------------------

@donnie,

donnie:

I do not pray that prayer

Why so?
Re: The Lord's Prayer by donnie(m): 5:47pm On Jun 10, 2007
Because that was not the Lord's prayer . It was a format for prayer he gave to them.

He said, after this manner pray. He did not say, Pray this prayer.

I have looked at the lines and a lot does not apply to the new testament maturing believer.
Re: The Lord's Prayer by Reverend(m): 6:10pm On Jun 10, 2007
Give us this day our daily bread lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Nobody is listening undecided

Re: The Lord's Prayer by donnie(m): 6:23pm On Jun 10, 2007
Do not speak for that child.

He is waitng on people like me and you to come to his aid and show that God is still alive. We are the voice, hands and feet of Jesus. We are His representatives in the world today.
Re: The Lord's Prayer by Reverend(m): 6:28pm On Jun 10, 2007
donnie:

Do not speak for that child.

He is waitng on people like me and you to come to his aid and show that God is still alive. We are the voice, hands and feet of Jesus. We are His representatives in the world today.

If there was a God, the all powerful, all loving and all caring invisible person who you refer to constantly that is so perfect,  why does this happen in the first place?

Let me tell you why

Because he is a figment of your imagination and does not exist  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: The Lord's Prayer by TellyB(m): 7:43pm On Jun 10, 2007
Reverend:

Because he is a figment of your imagination and does not exist lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

In other words, you are quite content to see suffering and do NOTHING about it simply because you don't believe God exists. You should long ago have told Rev. Fletcher that before his retirement and before your and your crew cheated on gullible Africans to post their nude pictures on your website.
Re: The Lord's Prayer by TellyB(m): 7:45pm On Jun 10, 2007
@donnie,

donnie:

I have looked at the lines and a lot does not apply to the new testament maturing believer.

Which lot do not apply to the NT maturing believer?
Re: The Lord's Prayer by otuwe(f): 9:11am On Jun 12, 2007
Reverend:

If there was a God, the all powerful, all loving and all caring invisible person who you refer to constantly that is so perfect, why does this happen in the first place?

Let me tell you why

Because he is a figment of your imagination and does not exist lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

i pity you, when u drop the flesh then realise that there truely is God then words wont be enough to explain ur condition,

you really need Help. its because of pple like u that we have that hungry child there but i put it to you that child is far better than u cos she sees beyond the flesh external(which am sure is all u think about).

well i pray you open ur eyes soon and redeem urself or suffer spiritual death
Re: The Lord's Prayer by Aproko(f): 9:53am On Jun 12, 2007
@ reverend,

what sort of reverend are you?

the reason that child is like that is more than i can tell you. but the reason you have come across that child and more like him is so you can help. if you choose not to help and leave the child suffering and show us his picture to prove a point(which is not really proven), does that have anything to do with God? no my dear, it has everything to do with your free will and what you choose to do with it.

that is the story of our existence. a lot of us have avenues to help, but instead of helping we blame God for our wrong decisions and say he doesnt exist, probably to justify the guilt we feel inside. undecided

well since you dont think God exist to help that child, since you exist, how have you helped him or many more like him that you have come across?
Re: The Lord's Prayer by otuwe(f): 10:21am On Jun 12, 2007
Reverend:

If there was a God, the all powerful, all loving and all caring invisible person who you refer to constantly that is so perfect, why does this happen in the first place?
undecided

i usually used to think u were wise but now ive realised u r so empty cos if you think God doesnt exist then that means u are just a pack of sand cos i know its God who gave us the Breathe of Life.

what if i tell u that i dont think Barbers exist and that if they do then how come there are people all over the world with long tattered and unkept hair, wat wud be ur reply,

use that same reply and equate it to why pple are suffering,
Re: The Lord's Prayer by TellyB(m): 11:44am On Jun 12, 2007
Telly B:

Which lot do not apply to the NT maturing believer?

@donnie, how far? undecided
Re: The Lord's Prayer by thesilent1(m): 2:22pm On Jun 12, 2007
but the reason you have come across that child and more like him is so you can help. if you choose not to help and leave the child suffering and show us his picture to prove a point(which is not really proven), does that have anything to do with God? no my dear, it has everything to do with your free will and what you choose to do with it

WOW!

no matter your beliefs Rev, what do you say to this!?!?!?
Re: The Lord's Prayer by barikade: 2:02pm On Jun 22, 2007
One of the blessings of reading the Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13 is that it speaks to my heart that no matter how far advanced one might consider himself/herself in the Christian might, we should never forget that a childlike spirit is of great value before God.

That prayer is one of the simplest prayer; and for me, it's not just a principle, but actually a prayer. Matt. 6:9 presents us with the principle ("After this manner therefore pray ye: "wink; but Luke 11:2 presents us with the prayer itself where the Lord Jesus said to His disciples (grown men): "When ye pray, SAY. . ."

As a prayer, it is so simple that any child could SAY it. It is as well rich in meaning and covers huge concerns in our relationship both with God and men.

This prayer has blessed me in its simplicity in reminding me of three things anytime I pray:

(a) it's a simple prayer; therefore, my prayers should be as simple and void of sophistication. I believe this is why in that same Matt. 6:7, the Lord cautioned against any tendency I might have to sound sophisticated: "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."

(b) it's a prayer of relationship; therefore I should avoid playing "religion" in approaching God in prayer. The first thing to remember is that God is my FATHER; and as such, I should ever be conscious of the divine relationship He has granted me with Him.

(c) it's a lifestyle prayer; and as such I should remember to live according to the longings expressed in my prayers rather than live contrary to what I pray! Psalm 19:14 says: "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." It is no wonder that immediately following the Lord's Prayer in Matt. 6:13, He cautions in vs. 13: "For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you"

There are other blessings that are in the Lord's Prayer; but these are a few of those that are constantly in my heart whenever I seek God in prayer.
Re: The Lord's Prayer by Reverend(m): 7:56am On Jun 23, 2007
This should be the real version lipsrsealed

Our Father,
Which aren't in heaven,
Hollow be thy name,
Thy kingdom's done,
Thou willt be gone,
From earth and leave us untethered,
Living each day our daily dread,
And forgo us our distresses,
For we relive those dispensed against us,
Leave the rotting complications,
And deliver us our freewill,
For mine is this freedom,
On the hour of this story,
Forever endeavor.
Amen.
Re: The Lord's Prayer by Reverend(m): 7:57am On Jun 23, 2007
Our father
who aren't in heaven,
Hollow be thy name.
Thy kingdom dead,
thy will be read.
On earth as if there were a heaven.
Give us this day our daily dream
and deliver us from reality.
For thine is the falsehood,
the corruption
and the Horror
forever and ever
Hy-men.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Biblical,islamical Or Whaetever For Females Wearing Trousers? / Dear Lord Send Us Praying Men, Who Will Pray Down A Revival / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.