Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,714 members, 7,805,946 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. (61935 Views)

10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly / Who Is Lalasticlala And What Is The Meaning Of Some Of These Nairaland Jargons? / 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by MrVegina(m): 7:43am On Nov 03, 2019
[s]
helinues:
You see me ri

You know me ri

[/s]
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Detolanny(m): 7:47am On Nov 03, 2019
@OP, you should have simply used "Expressions/Terms/Words/Vocabularies" instead of "Jargon" as Jargon doesn't really mean wrong words but are technical terminologies or idioms peculiar to a distinct group, field or discipline.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Gameokwe(m): 7:49am On Nov 03, 2019
You're too much grin
tjfulloption:

I was OPPORTUNED to be a 30 minutes boss over our driver MAQLATUNJI when We were driving home from the bank where our boss SEUN OSEWA sent us on errand to deposit some Moines in his bank account. GO SLOW-SLOW I said to him as I spot this beautiful PLUMPY lady walking by. I'm on my way to a friend's WAKE-KEEPING of her late dad she replied when asked where she was going. As a fast guy I brought out my blackberry porch SCREENTOUCH PHONE I bought on INSTALMENTALLY term from a LALASTICLALA to collect her mobile number. SHARP-SHARP we drop her at the venue as I told her I will give her a call. Bros! You are very CUNNY O, you are claiming to be the car owner abi? ALRIGHT I go tell Oga, the driver JOKENLY tells me. This babe ASWEAR na me go DISVIRGIN HER if she no dey to do CROSS-CARPETING.
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by ABOVEDELAW: 7:49am On Nov 03, 2019
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE REST BUT OPPORTUNED AND ALRIGHT ARE VERY CORRECT , CHECK OUT YOUR DICTIONARY THOUGH I DON'T KNOW THE ARCHAIC TYPE YOU ARE USING
gimmehear:
10 grammatical jargon often used by Nigerians.

In Nigeria, people use a lot of grammatical jargon daily and most this jargon are/were/is believed to be correct when view in the English man’s way, but interestingly, most of this jargon often have no sensible meaning when searched for in the dictionary.

Below are some compiled words.

(1)Installmentally:

This “word” is a favourite of many Nigerians, but, sadly, it simply does not exist. You won’t find it any reputable dictionary. The correct thing to say when “installmentally” comes to your mind is in instalments or by instalments.

(2)Plumpy:

Nigerians use “plumpy” when they want to say that someone is chubby or slightly fat. The correct expression is plump.

(3)Disvirgin:

This particular “word” is used severally on a daily basis, especially by Nigerian men when they intend saying that a woman has lost her virginity to a guy. The correct word to use, however, is deflower, because “disvirgin” is not a word depicting that meaning.

(4)Crosscarpeting or cross-carpeting

This is a favourite of Nigerian politicians and political analysts alike. They use it when they want to say that a politician has dumped his political party for another party, usually a rival party. The right terms to use when describing this scenario are party switching, defection and crossing the floor and not “cross-carpeting” or “crosscarpeting.”
Go-slow: The word go-slow exists, but not in the way Nigerians use it.

(5)A “go-slow,”

in the peculiarly Nigerian context, is a situation in which road traffic is very sluggish due to vehicle queues. However, go-slow in the English language actually means an industrial tactic used by employees whereby they intentionally reduce activity, productivity and efficiency in order to press home some demands. When this happens, you say that work in the office, factory or organization is at a go- slow. The correct terms to use when road traffic is very sluggish due to vehicle queues are traffic jam, traffic congestion, gridlock, and (less technically) hold-up, not “go- slow.”

(6)Cunny

“Cunny” is not found in authoritative dictionaries, but it can be found in some slang dictionaries. Over there, it is a slang used to refer to a woman’s v**ina. The correct term to use is cunning (which is used to describe someone that is being deceitful or crafty) and not “cunny.”

(7)Opportuned

There is nothing like “opportuned” anywhere in the English language, but that has not stopped its blatant use by all and sundry in Nigeria, including journalists and writers. The correct word is opportune. The word opportune is an adjective; therefore it has no past tense. An adjective has no past tense. However, some verbs can function as adjectives or adverbs in a sentence. These verbs are called participles and they do have past tenses. They are not pure adjectives. Examples of participles are fattened, amused, disgusted, mystified, overwhelmed, upset and bored. Be that as it may, opportune is a pure adjective and not a participle, therefore it has no past tense. Opportune means appropriate or well- timed.

(coolAlright

“Alright” is a misspelling of the term all right. All right is used when you want to say that something is adequate, acceptable, agreeable or suitable. To hardcore English language linguists, “alright” is not a word. However, its usage is gaining traction and it’s increasingly becoming acceptable. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary – which is considered the gold standard among American English speakers – has recently drawn a lot of criticisms for its permissiveness when it began indexing some otherwise colloquial and street language terms, including “alright.” Most linguists disagree with the gradual acceptance of “alright” as a word by the public and even the media, while those in the minority are “alright” with it.

(9)Wake-keeping

“Wake-keeping” exists only in the imagination of a few English speakers. As a matter of fact, there is no such thing as “wake-keeping.” The correct word is wake and not even “wake-keep.” Both “wake-keeping” and “wake-keep” are ungrammatical.

(10)Screentouch: This bad grammatical expression gained currency in Nigeria and neighbouring West African countries with the influx of made-in-China stylus pen touchscreen not- so-smart phones in the mid 2000s. It was a novelty then; many in Nigeria had not seen it – or even thought such advanced technology was possible – before. So, they looked for a name to call it and “screentouch” came to mind, after all you just touch the screen and it starts working. In case you’ve still not figured it out yet, the correct thing to say is touchscreen and not “screentouch.

So there you have it, 10 English language “words” Nigerians love to use that are not found in the dictionary. Feel free to add yours;
https://www.gbetutv.com/10-grammatical-jargon-often-used-by-nigerians/

Lalasticlala

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Livefreeordieha(m): 7:53am On Nov 03, 2019
darfay:
What I see here is nothing but inferiority complex.

First of language is dynamic and as such changes over time, you can't expect us to not be innovative with our official language regardless of wherever it came. Brazilians have their own Portuguese vocabulary as those Mexico, chile, Argentina which differs to some extent from colonial Portuguese and Spanish. So if they can why shouldn't we?

If it were new Americana slang, them know born the Brits not to include and recognize it in their dictionary but since it's us now
Angolans also have their own Portuguese even the cameroonian French is different from that of the Malians,chadians and French Nationals..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Samamerc(f): 7:54am On Nov 03, 2019
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by seacoast(m): 7:57am On Nov 03, 2019
you see that Go Slow own, I will be using it even as I wan enter London...

ogini di? lol

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by smile11s(m): 8:00am On Nov 03, 2019
Nonsense,

Language is for the other party to understand. So, if the other party understands, then no wahala.
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by esky158(m): 8:00am On Nov 03, 2019
O boy na to go back to school be dat
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by cedricksly: 8:09am On Nov 03, 2019
Even op and mod who moved this to front page are bad in English language. Using the word jargon instead of blunder
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by georgecso(m): 8:15am On Nov 03, 2019
[quote author=gimmehear post=83685455]10 grammatical jargon often used by Nigerians.

In Nigeria, people use a lot of grammatical jargon daily and most this jargon are/were/is believed to be correct when view in the English man’s way, but interestingly, most of this jargon often have no sensible meaning when searched for in the dictionary.

Below are some compiled words.

(1)Installmentally:

This “word” is a favourite of many Nigerians, but, sadly, it simply does not exist. You won’t find it any reputable dictionary. The correct thing to say when “installmentally” comes to your mind is in instalments or by instalments.

(2)Plumpy:

Nigerians use “plumpy” when they want to say that someone is chubby or slightly fat. The correct expression is plump.

(3)Disvirgin:

This particular “word” is used severally on a daily basis, especially by Nigerian men when they intend saying that a woman has lost her virginity to a guy. The correct word to use, however, is deflower, because “disvirgin” is not a word depicting that meaning.

(4)Crosscarpeting or cross-carpeting

This is a favourite of Nigerian politicians and political analysts alike. They use it when they want to say that a politician has dumped his political party for another party, usually a rival party. The right terms to use when describing this scenario are party switching, defection and crossing the floor and not “cross-carpeting” or “crosscarpeting.”
Go-slow: The word go-slow exists, but not in the way Nigerians use it.

(5)A “go-slow,”

in the peculiarly Nigerian context, is a situation in which road traffic is very sluggish due to vehicle queues. However, go-slow in the English language actually means an industrial tactic used by employees whereby they intentionally reduce activity, productivity and efficiency in order to press home some demands. When this happens, you say that work in the office, factory or organization is at a go- slow. The correct terms to use when road traffic is very sluggish due to vehicle queues are traffic jam, traffic congestion, gridlock, and (less technically) hold-up, not “go- slow.”

(6)Cunny

“Cunny” is not found in authoritative dictionaries, but it can be found in some slang dictionaries. Over there, it is a slang used to refer to a woman’s v**ina. The correct term to use is cunning (which is used to describe someone that is being deceitful or crafty) and not “cunny.”

(7)Opportuned

There is nothing like “opportuned” anywhere in the English language, but that has not stopped its blatant use by all and sundry in Nigeria, including journalists and writers. The correct word is opportune. The word opportune is an adjective; therefore it has no past tense. An adjective has no past tense. However, some verbs can function as adjectives or adverbs in a sentence. These verbs are called participles and they do have past tenses. They are not pure adjectives. Examples of participles are fattened, amused, disgusted, mystified, overwhelmed, upset and bored. Be that as it may, opportune is a pure adjective and not a participle, therefore it has no past tense. Opportune means appropriate or well- timed.

(coolAlright

“Alright” is a misspelling of the term all right. All right is used when you want to say that something is adequate, acceptable, agreeable or suitable. To hardcore English language linguists, “alright” is not a word. However, its usage is gaining traction and it’s increasingly becoming acceptable. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary – which is considered the gold standard among American English speakers – has recently drawn a lot of criticisms for its permissiveness when it began indexing some otherwise colloquial and street language terms, including “alright.” Most linguists disagree with the gradual acceptance of “alright” as a word by the public and even the media, while those in the minority are “alright” with it.

(9)Wake-keeping

“Wake-keeping” exists only in the imagination of a few English speakers. As a matter of fact, there is no such thing as “wake-keeping.” The correct word is wake and not even “wake-keep.” Both “wake-keeping” and “wake-keep” are ungrammatical.

(10)Screentouch: This bad grammatical expression gained currency in Nigeria and neighbouring West African countries with the influx of made-in-China stylus pen touchscreen not- so-smart phones in the mid 2000s. It was a novelty then; many in Nigeria had not seen it – or even thought such advanced technology was possible – before. So, they looked for a name to call it and “screentouch” came to mind, after all you just touch the screen and it starts working. In case you’ve still not figured it out yet, the correct thing to say is touchscreen and not “screentouch.

So there you have it, 10 English language “words” Nigerians love to use that are not found in the dictionary. Feel free to add yours;
https://www.gbetutv.com/10-grammatical-jargon-often-used-by-nigerians/

Lalasticlala

[/quote

That wake keeping though... Queen Elizabeth no fit change am o... I attended wake last week... Eno sweet abeg.. Leave us with our wake keeping..

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by bajeen(m): 8:15am On Nov 03, 2019
Incorrect: Be rest assured that ....
Correct: Rest assured that ...
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by lakesider(m): 8:17am On Nov 03, 2019
Stop this rubbish.. Words in the dictionary are words commonly used by people e. G chatting has entered into the English and German dictionary...
Stop been inferior by thinking everything your people invent is stupid

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by stormborn28(m): 8:18am On Nov 03, 2019
samstradam:
Great post @OP.

One of the most annoying is "cunny", to think most of the people who drop these kind of bombs will be feeling cocky with themselves while talking rubbish!
na puna you dey call so oooooooo
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 03, 2019
Simplep:
grin.
Some of those words are not stopping anytime soon.not even if we are all aware they are wrong.
They're not wrong.
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by ogboginy: 8:20am On Nov 03, 2019
stop underrating Nigeria. all this jargons you mentioned are in Nigeria dictionary. remember naija na independent country so however we say it, as long as you understand. no yawa. we too like to imitate, were people way we dey follow self no even send us. let's be real. as I yan nam so now, e no dey any dictionary but you understand. that is all that matters. if you don't know, every sovereign state have their own jargons that will be difficult to understand by another nation. cheers and happy Sunday.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Mandubekus: 8:21am On Nov 03, 2019
darfay:

First of language is dynamic and as such changes over time, you can't expect us to not be innovative with our official language regardless of wherever it came. Brazilians have their own Portuguese vocabulary as those Mexico, chile, Argentina which differs to some extent from colonial Portuguese and Spanish. So if they can why shouldn't we?

If it were new Americana slang, them know born the Brits not to include and recognize it in their dictionary but since it's us now
Then, it would be nice if we have our own English. 'Nigerian English'

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by sagtav(f): 8:21am On Nov 03, 2019
You self
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Comedian2019: 8:23am On Nov 03, 2019
2RUTHHURTS:
The one wey dey vex me pass Na "PENALITY" instead of Penalty grin
Penarity you mean to say? grin grin grin
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by witworth(m): 8:27am On Nov 03, 2019
so when colour in Britain is color in America and knicker is short as well, don't tell me "alright" in Nigeria is wrong, because we as an independent nation has every right to choose how we speak and write our words, so the writer of this article should stop acting like we are still in colonial era, moreover we already have our pidgin english so keep your so called correct grammar to yourself. thank you.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Afonja007: 8:27am On Nov 03, 2019
Ahmed0336:

That man you just quoted is patriot.
with your name you will support him cus his licking your brother buhari's a***s
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Kaybex007(m): 8:36am On Nov 03, 2019
Well, I wouldn't say what is said is wrong, but have you ever met with someone who studied English language, in case you don't, go and ask if it is not stated that we are given the opportunities to create our own words, my English language teacher once said that some sentence and words can be said but should not written done when writing any official statement. Have you ever worked as a Secretary to a lawyer before and you come across words that your computer will even underline it just because it doesn't understand it. Lastly have you ever thought that the British colonised the Americans, they say they speak English but still yet some words are different from eachother but still gives same meaning. What I will say is no matter how good you say you are in English language, if the person you are talking, sending message or communicating to does not understand what you, you are totally incommunicado. Communication is more important than any language in the world.
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by iamjuniho(m): 8:40am On Nov 03, 2019
Peradventure nothing like peradventually
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by innocentjordan: 8:42am On Nov 03, 2019
darfay:

Well done! you just spoke my mind, we all know that British is the native speaker of English as a language but people always forget that most of the words in English language today are not peculiarly English but from other earliest languages like Latin and Greek. American took over the English and added their own "Americanness" and that uniqueness of American English has come to stay, the same with Australian English. If we are proud of this vocabulary trust me it won't take time before European start saying it. after all, that's how American corrupted the language in the first place. there's nothing bad if we can add our own "Nigerianess" to the attractive language, they can call it West African English if they want.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by sonature1: 8:45am On Nov 03, 2019
Alright is short of all right, which some persons consider incorrect.

OP is wrong on this.

Even Americans and English use it

Its problem is that some oversabi people like OP think it's wrong

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by erayo2GCA(m): 8:49am On Nov 03, 2019
Most of them are made in Nigeria, cross carpeting was used in higher institutions as gang related slangs, now it’s a popular Nigerian English!
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by MrNipplesLover(m): 8:50am On Nov 03, 2019
I 'dashed' her money yesterday cool
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by gazza07(m): 8:50am On Nov 03, 2019
Nonsense! I wish I can unread this! "Unread"? Is that even a correct grammar?
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by adun99(f): 8:58am On Nov 03, 2019
Good one. Also there is nothing like 'severally' you may want to correct that in your write up

Welldone
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Longnthick(m): 8:58am On Nov 03, 2019
Mathscum:
New testament of the use of English that year . But you did not tell us what to use instead of opportuned, I think we can use fortunate, can we?
The correct word is opportune
Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Lamanii22(f): 8:59am On Nov 03, 2019
tjfulloption:

I was OPPORTUNED to be a 30 minutes boss over our driver MAQLATUNJI when We were driving home from the bank where our boss SEUN OSEWA sent us on errand to deposit some Moines in his bank account. GO SLOW-SLOW I said to him as I spot this beautiful PLUMPY lady walking by. I'm on my way to a friend's WAKE-KEEPING of her late dad she replied when asked where she was going. As a fast guy I brkought out my blackberry porch SCREENTOUCH PHONE I bought on INSTALMENTALLY term from a LALASTICLALA to collect her mobile number. SHARP-SHARP we drop her at the venue as I told her I will give her a call. Bros! You are very CUNNY O, you are claiming to be the car owner abi? ALRIGHT I go tell Oga, the driver JOKENLY tells me. This babe ASWEAR na me go DISVIRGIN HER if she no dey to do CROSS-CARPETING.

Lmao.... Maddo! Understanding lo matter....

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 03, 2019
darfay:

People like you don't learn. You find a way to justify mediocrity. Language being dynamic doesn't mean it has no rule. If you must speak English, speak properly.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Law School First Class Graduates Reveal Their Secrets / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos / Benue State University New Dress Code For Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.