Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux (1316 Views)

How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux by bada1(m): 4:23pm On May 22, 2007
Pls anybody in the house know d procedure to do the above operation?

Also what type of linux would u recommend for a beginner to install.

Thanks for your anticipated response.
Re: How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:05pm On May 22, 2007
i would recommend ubuntu fiesty christmas edition that would help you to avoid looking for extra softwares cause it has all you'll need. for partitioning can you tell me whats the size and how many partitions do u have
Re: How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux by bada1(m): 6:15pm On May 22, 2007
@ adewale

thanks 4 the info as 4 d partitions i have not yet created em.

i hav a 60Gb HDD preinstalled with XP.

What space should i install the linux i was thinkin maybe 10GB would be okay for the linux.

cos i just want to pratice with it.
Re: How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:36pm On May 22, 2007
10gb is okay you should have a data partition so that you can share data between both os. it should be in fat32. the ubuntu has a tool that helps you partition. good luck
Re: How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux by Zahymaka(m): 3:17am On May 23, 2007
I suppose you're trying to create space from an already formatted hard disk. Use Partition Magic -- you won't lose any data.
Re: How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux by earthrealm(m): 12:08am On May 29, 2007
hey, pls  where  can  1  get  the partition magic  disk!!!
Re: How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux by Shotokan(m): 1:40pm On May 29, 2007
You can download it from my Rapidshare Account. Use this DL link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/31775214/Partition_Magic_8.05--_CHAOTIC.rar

Here are some of the nifty little features of PartitionMagic 8.05:

Divides a single hard drive into two or more partitions
* Lets you safely run multiple operating systems on the same PC
* BootMagic™ makes it easy to switch between different operating systems
* Allows you to copy, move, resize, split, or merge partitions as needed without losing data
* How-to wizards guide you step by step through the partitioning process
* Intuitive Windows®-based browser lets you find, copy and paste files in both Windows and Linux® partitions
* Allows you to create and modify partitions up to 300 GB*
* Supports USB 2.0, USB 1.1, and FireWire® external drives**
* Supports FAT, FAT32, NTFS, Ext2, and Ext3 file systems
* Converts partitions among FAT, FAT32, and NTFS without losing data
* Allows you to enlarge an NTFS partition without restarting your computer
* Resizes NTFS system clusters to the most effective size

Oh and you might want to read through the PartitionMagic User manual if you've never really used the software before.
Re: How To Partition A Laptop Pre-installed With XP To Install Linux by penfold(m): 7:14pm On May 31, 2007
make sure u enable swap space when partitioning so that u don't have hardware conflict issues

(1) (Reply)

Pc-satelite Connection / Xnaira.com For Sale / Juniper Prometric Centres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.