Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,850 members, 7,806,399 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? (1237 Views)

"Behold, What Manner Of Love The Father Hath Bestowed Upon Us,.." / Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? / Immortality And Disconnecting From Reincarnation Program Of The Gods. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 7:55pm On Nov 03, 2019
So I decided to re-watch one of my favorite movies, "CHAPPIE", It is about a sentient robot experiences in a less than perfect setting. A blend of Gangsterism, human nature & conflicting choices with a wisp of comedy.

The following parts that got me thinking was
1) When Chappie finds out his battery was fused with his body in an accident & comes to the harsh realization often faced by humans,that it is better to be a living dog than a dead lion. Sometimes this means breaking promises & laws.

2)When chappie confronts its maker and asks him why he gave him a defective body and his maker apologized that it was accidental,that he never knew when he carried out the consciousness test on the defective body that chappie would ever become more than he ever imagined. Unfortunately he couldn't help chappie because he was limited in knowledge, as he didn't know how to transfer consciousness.

3)The choices chappie had to make for himself when faced with the death of his fragile human friends/maker & the intuition to see that the only way he could help them was to give them an indestructible body.

In summary the movie highlighted these concepts:

The fragility of humans
Environment effects on the personality
Human vices & the use of choices
The human innate fear of the unknown
The inborn human struggle for survival at all costs
Transhumanism as a way to gain immortality

Anybody see where I'm going yet?

1 Like

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by Blakjewelry(m): 7:58pm On Nov 03, 2019
the way you end the writeup got me confused
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 8:00pm On Nov 03, 2019
So let's come to us humans. We were created, But it doesn't make sense being created to live a limited lifespan & die. To what purpose na?

So let's take the first point again. Humans were immortal before or at least lived long lives as told in legends until they lost it.

Point 2- seeing as chappie's creator that created a smarter creation but yet couldn't save him and chappie had to leverage on the knowledge of his creator & his kind to save himself by finding a way to save his consciousness. Don't you think that as humans we should also endeavor to get knowledge like the gods to achieve immortality for ourselves? We have the tools right?

Point 3: Choices, Any right thinking human would have arrived at the conclusion that God/Supremeconsciousness wouldn't have given us a working Brain & the will to make choices if it wanted us to be believers In the unseen as Harped on by most religions. So Isn't it feasible that we were created to be what others were not & will never be, to disobey, fall, destroy, learn &understand and evolve again? All parts of a steep learning curve in evolution?

1 Like

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 8:00pm On Nov 03, 2019
Which brings us back to the topic.
Achieving Immortality- To be Bestowed or gained Artificially/Genetically/Spiritually.

Note: Spirituality is different from religion

As at this century, the supposed ways of achieving immortality are these:

a)By Religion/Theology

b) By Spiritual Evolution ( Refer to "The stellar man" by John Baines for more info)

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 8:08pm On Nov 03, 2019
c)Transhumanism/Cybernetics/A.I

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 8:09pm On Nov 03, 2019
d)Medically (Cloning or genetic upgrades)

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 8:10pm On Nov 03, 2019
So I'll like to know your views on the following:
Do you think it is possible for humans to attain immortality?
Which method out of the 4 would you prefer & why?
Can you think of any possible side effects that could result from achieving immortality from any of the 4?

Note: Christians are welcomed as far as they can make clear & logical answers. Quoting bible verses isn't it.You wouldn't like to type in instructions on an ATM to withdraw money & the machine starts quoting 1 Timothy 6:10 for you,you get my drift? Thanks.

Feel free to suggest movies that reflect these concept
Prometheus
The Martian
Terminator
Marvel ovies
Etc grin
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by iPrevail(m): 8:13pm On Nov 03, 2019
Where would you classify Vampirism?
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 8:41pm On Nov 03, 2019
iPrevail:

Folklore cheesy. I'm trying to stick with possibilities here. Unless you had this in mind
https://www.nanalyze.com/2019/06/young-blood-transfusions/
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 8:42pm On Nov 03, 2019
Blakjewelry:
the way you end the writeup got me confused

I'm done now
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by hopeforcharles(m): 8:54pm On Nov 03, 2019
One day science might attempt immortality but it's success depends on many aspects. But I will stick to the religious principles of been bestowed because man is a spiritual being.

1 Like

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by budaatum: 9:21pm On Nov 03, 2019
SKhanmi:

Specifically biologically immortal is the absence of a sustained increase in rate of mortality as a function of chronological age. A cell or organism that does not experience aging, or ceases to age at some point, is biologically immortal.

Which 4 methods do you know with which to achieve this!
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 03, 2019
iPrevail:

Immortality was never part of nature’s plan for any bio-system...its counter productive to nature itself...the synergy btw death and birth is how nature has been able to sustain itself for this long....The connection is too perfect...

While immortality may sound cool..I think it’s a line we shouldn’t cross...I say so because humanity doesn’t have the ability to see all cascading outcomes of manipulating nature..
when industrialization and machine creation became the goal from the 1920’s because of efficiency and effectiveness we ddnt know we would end up destroying the ozone layer and ecosystem... now all the world is shouting is “going green”...
I could say for a fact that nature is very annoying and unpredictable....unlike computer and engineering work which can be modeled based on algorithms to know the outcome or calculated to know variables or constants.....nature is on autopilot...It’s has always been that way...u restrict or induce it somewhere it just finds a way to balance out what uve done to it...an I’m saying that from experience...I once had the opportunity to clone a non-flagellated bacteria to make it possess flagella....let me just say the outcome was successful in a very weird way...

But still I believe through transferring of consciousness and memory from this degrading body to computer or cyborg man can mayb live forever...with the help of cutting edge neuroscience research going on now through optogentics adoption. it may be possible to map memory and possibly do more
As for evolution, I don’t believe in it... it’s a bunch of desperate crap to find a possible explanation to man and other living system’s existence when religious or spiritual explanation was no longer sufficient for us

2 Likes

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by iPrevail(m): 9:57pm On Nov 03, 2019
SKhanmi:

Folklore cheesy. I'm trying to stick with possibilities here. Unless you had this in mind
https://www.nanalyze.com/2019/06/young-blood-transfusions/

Folklore? **scoffs**
Vampirism is, or should I say was, birthed from a very powerful voodoo. And you'd classify voodoo as spiritual right?
If you believe there are gods, demons and angels, then it's ridiculous to say vampires don't exist.
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by iPrevail(m): 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2019
1StopRudeness:

Immortality was never part of nature’s plan for any bio-system...its counter productive to nature itself...the synergy btw death and birth is how nature has been able to sustain itself for this long....The connection is too perfect...

While immortality may sound cool..I think it’s a line we shouldn’t cross...I say so because humanity doesn’t have the ability to see all cascading outcomes of manipulating nature..
when industrialization and machine creation became the goal from the 1920’s because of efficiency and effectiveness we ddnt know we would end up destroying the ozone layer and ecosystem... now all the world is shouting is “going green”...
I could say for a fact that nature is very annoying and unpredictable....unlike computer and engineering work which can be modeled based on algorithms to know the outcome or calculated to know variables or constants.....nature is on autopilot...It’s has always been that way...u restrict or induce it somewhere it just finds a way to balance out what uve done to it...an I’m saying that from experience...I once had the opportunity to clone a non-flagellated bacteria to make it possess flagella....let me just say the outcome was successful in a very weird way...

But still I believe through transferring of consciousness and memory from this degrading body to computer or cyborg man can mayb live forever...with the help of cutting edge neuroscience research going on now through optogentics adoption. it may be possible to map memory and possibly do more
As for evolution, I don’t believe in it... it’s a bunch of desperate crap to find a possible explanation to man and other living system’s existence when religious or spiritual explanation was no longer sufficient for us

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 10:38pm On Nov 03, 2019
iPrevail:

Folklore? **scoffs**
Vampirism is, or should I say was, birthed from a very powerful voodoo. And you'd classify voodoo as spiritual right?
If you believe there are gods, demons and angels, then it's ridiculous to say vampires don't exist.

Voodoo? I think that should fall under religion, When I said spiritual I was thinking in terms of the other etheric bodies apart from the physical one. Like gaining immortality in an astral body. As for vampires,if they do exist, belong to option 1. Clouded in uncertainty.
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 10:44pm On Nov 03, 2019
budaatum:

Specifically biologically immortal is the absence of a sustained increase in rate of mortality as a function of chronological age. A cell or organism that does not experience aging, or ceases to age at some point, is biologically immortal.

Which 4 methods do you know with which to achieve this!

Just one. Genetic Modifications. But still a presumption.
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 10:52pm On Nov 03, 2019
1StopRudeness:

So you go with A.I ,what do you think might be the cost to the human race and the earth from migrating from organic lifeforms to a non organic one?
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by budaatum: 11:09pm On Nov 03, 2019
SKhanmi:

Just one. Genetic Modifications. But still a presumption.
You are achieving immortality on a "presumption"? The "presumption" of what, exactly? That you will be immortal?

Please list immortals that you know of.
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 11:31pm On Nov 03, 2019
budaatum:

You are achieving immortality on a "presumption"? The "presumption" of what, exactly? That you will be immortal?

Please list immortals that you know of.
If you remember, my major question can be paraphrased as, Can humans achieve immortality on their own or have it bestowed? You haven't really answered by the way. I responded to your question within the context of what I posted which is under option 4. We're discussing possibilities. Asking me to list immortals is akin to trying to skew things into murky waters cos we all know where the tales of immortals originate from.
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by budaatum: 11:39pm On Nov 03, 2019
SKhanmi:

If you remember, my major question can be paraphrased as, Can humans achieve immortality on their own or have it bestowed? You haven't really answered by the way. I responded to your question within the context of what I posted which is under option 4. We're discussing possibilities. Asking me to list immortals is akin to trying to skew things into murky waters cos we all know where the tales of immortals originate from.
My question preceeds yours I think, surely, it needs answering before we can answer yours. Or are you asking us to presume?

Has any human achieved immortality?

Name one.
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by tintingz(m): 2:03am On Nov 04, 2019
SKhanmi:
Can you think of any possible side effects that could result from achieving immortality from any of the 4?

Note: Christians are welcomed as far as they can make clear & logical answers. Quoting bible verses isn't it.You wouldn't like to type in instructions on an ATM to withdraw money & the machine starts quoting 1 Timothy 6:10 for you,you get my drift? Thanks.

Prometheus
The Martian
Terminator
Marvel ovies
Etc grin

Cc CAPSLOCKED
martinez59
LordReed
OtemAtum
hopelfullandlord
Politicalwitch
Tintingz
LordAdam16
Budaatum
Ranchhodas
Hahn
Hardmirror

The "6th Day" movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, cant really remember, I think In the movie they found a way to keep the human memories and restore it in their clone.

1 Like

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 9:09pm On Nov 04, 2019
budaatum:

My question preceeds yours I think, surely, it needs answering before we can answer yours. Or are you asking us to presume?

Has any human achieved immortality?

Name one.

I see where you're going, it's not going to happen. You might just as well identify with option 1 & keep things straight. I do recommend you read the *stellar man* by the way. You'll like it.
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by budaatum: 10:39pm On Nov 04, 2019
SKhanmi:

I see where you're going, it's not going to happen. You might just as well identify with option 1 & keep things straight. I do recommend you read the *stellar man* by the way. You'll like it.
Sounds like what I'd like.

If I presumed crossing Ikorodu Road, I would never have gotten to the other side! Thank God they built overhead bridge along that road or it would have been bloody red. When they say hermetic, they mean everything as one whole comprehended by a mind. It does not include the nonsense I presume in my head.

Probably my ignorance on culture though!
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by MuttleyLaff: 11:09pm On Nov 04, 2019
SKhanmi:

Note: Christians are welcomed as far as they can make clear & logical answers. Quoting bible verses isn't it. You wouldn't like to type in instructions on an ATM to withdraw money & the machine starts quoting 1 Timothy 6:10 for you, you get my drift? Thanks.

Prometheus
The Martian
Terminator
Marvel ovies
Etc grin
You wouldn't like to type in instructions on an ATM to withdraw money & the machine starts to feel free to suggest movies that reflect these concept Prometheus, The Martian, Terminator Marvel movies Etc grin, you get my drift? sic

It was not a defective body to start with. To start with, human immortality was bestowed, but it was sniffed at, and since then after, human immortality has been a holy grail, something eagerly pursued or sought after, something to have, something to be gained

2 Likes

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by budaatum: 11:26pm On Nov 04, 2019
SKhanmi:

You might just as well identify with option 1 & keep things straight.

SKhanmi:

The following parts that got me thinking was
1) When Chappie finds out his battery was fused with his body in an accident & comes to the harsh realization often faced by humans,that it is better to be a living dog than a dead lion. Sometimes this means breaking promises & laws.

Really? Not Chappie realises Chappie has a mind and Chappie is the battery in charge?

I'm overthinking this, aren't I.
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by kkins25(m): 11:38pm On Nov 04, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
You wouldn't like to type in instructions on an ATM to withdraw money & the machine starts to feel free to suggest movies that reflect these concept Prometheus, The Martian, Terminator Marvel movies Etc grin, you get my drift? sic

It was not a defective body to start with. To start with, human immortality was bestowed, but it was sniffed at, and since then after, human immortality has been a holy grail, something eagerly pursued or sought after, something to be gained
my paddi the mr bible bas come again..... we would soon hear original sin and skin cloth...

I replied a certain post of your on the religious section but I was banned by spambot nd my post I believe deleted. Remember I said we got things to iron out....
Hows life going bud??
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by MuttleyLaff: 11:54pm On Nov 04, 2019
kkins25:
my paddi the mr bible bas come again.....
we would soon hear original sin and skin cloth...
Dont feign and/or tell me you didnt see the double standard

kkins25:
I replied a certain post of your on the religious section but I was banned by spambot nd my post I believe deleted.
Remember I said we got things to iron out....
It's true you and I have too many irons to mention, in the fire.

kkins25:
Hows life going bud??
If you're asking, well, it could in so many ways be better, nonetheless, I am not showing ingratitude for the shot at it.

1 Like

Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 11:16pm On Nov 05, 2019
budaatum:

Really? Not Chappie realises Chappie has a mind and Chappie is the battery in charge?

I'm overthinking this, aren't I.

What is the use of chappie realizing it has a mind which would eventually go into oblivion in a few days due to a defective battery,just like any other living thing. Well,chappie eventually took charge by figuring out how it could transfer consciousness,thereby achieving immortality.
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by SKhanmi: 11:23pm On Nov 05, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

and since then after, human immortality has been a holy grail, something eagerly pursued or sought after, something to have, something to be gained

Do you think humans would eventually unlock the keys to immortality or things will turn out as most religions predict, immortality bestowed to the lucky few?
Re: Human Immortality - To Be Bestowed Or Gained? by budaatum: 11:46pm On Nov 05, 2019
SKhanmi:

What is the use of chappie realizing it has a mind which would eventually go into oblivion in a few days due to a defective battery,just like any other living thing.
The question. "Due to defective battery"?

SKhanmi:

Well,chappie eventually took charge by figuring out how it could transfer consciousness,thereby achieving immortality.
The answer. "Transfer". Avoid going into oblivion. By taking charge of your battery so it is effective.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Dr D K Olukoya And His Dear Wife Pastor (mrs) Shade Olukoya / If God Hates Sin So Much, Then Why Does He Let It Multiply? / Who Is That Popular Man Of God That You Trust Most In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.