Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame (2584 Views)

1999 CONSTITUTION OF FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA – A BOOK REVIEW / Literature / Writing Section Best Poster Of The Year 2012 - A Big Thank You! / My Nigeria - A Poem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by KayB: 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2010
i dont actually know where to start because you will see many samples on this forum, anybody reading a nigerian newspapers these days is just a waste of time because you can hardly open a page without encountering different errors - from bad grammar to misspelt words when computers have made everything easy we still see typographical blunders and incomplete stories. i wonder where schoolchildren go nowadays to develop their english language since what the tv stations scroll are rubbish sometimes, while even on radio they can't call nigerian names correctly because majority got the jobs through the backdoor leaving out the passion of perfection
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by lanrei(m): 6:46pm On Nov 14, 2010
U might be right, but i'd rather advise u not to generalize ur opinion based on one or a few example(s).
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Dsense(m): 7:25pm On Nov 14, 2010
@Topic
Known!!!
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by maedan(f): 8:58pm On Nov 14, 2010
@ poster it seems you're right; it can be embarrassing at times. I mean, with all the quacks in the industry, who can't even express themselves, but get media jobs due to their "connections". Nigerian youths/children just have to find their educative material elsewhere. Thank goodness for the internet, cable etc, where they can hear what real English sounds/looks like cheesy.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by tommi34475: 10:07am On Nov 18, 2010
, develop their english language even what they tv stations scroll are rubbish sometimes while on radio they,

for someone supposedly mad about the rubbish in the media, you might as well try to improve your grammar, the part I highlighted on your post only tells me you won't do better if you're there.

My point is that we all should stop complaining and start doing, everyone is only trying to make the best of a very bad situation including media practitioners
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Phate07(m): 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2010
The readers do shall part of the blame too, cos they act as a willing audience. undecided
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Dsense(m): 9:34pm On Nov 18, 2010
Phate07:

The readers do shall part of the blame too, cos they act as a will audience. undecided
Hmmmmmm. . . . . Sorry !!! couldn't pick up a word from ur comment. cool
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Phate07(m): 10:23am On Nov 19, 2010
Dsense ===> Hater! angry undecided
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Dsense(m): 3:26pm On Nov 19, 2010
Phate07:

Dsense ===> Hater! angry undecided
grin grin grin grin lol
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Phate07(m): 4:18pm On Nov 19, 2010
cheesy cheesy It was just some bloody typos bro. How Egypt, are you still eating human meat? undecided grin
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Dsense(m): 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2010
LOOOOOOOOOL. . . . . .I got it !!!. . . . . Egypt is cool,Getting cold these days . . . . . . . Yep ooo we still eat HUMAN BEING. . . . . Mummies re all over the places. tongue
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by praxx(m): 2:36pm On Nov 22, 2010
KayB:

i dont actually know where to start because even you will see many samples on this forum, anybody reading a nigerian newspaper is just a waste of time now because you can hardly open a page without encountering different errors - from bad grammar to mis spelt words, when computers have made everything easy, we still see typographical blunders. i wonder where schoolchildren go to nowadays to develop their english language even what they tv stations scroll are rubbish sometimes while on radio they cant even

I wonder what your point is exactly, kettle way dey call pot black.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Mingler: 2:52pm On Nov 22, 2010
Visit www.professionalsinnigeria.com to meet professionals from all over Nigeria.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by chakula: 3:03pm On Nov 22, 2010
Intervention of Londoners residence is highly well come to this thread for having first hand information on how genuine and structure english is usually form.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by aparata: 3:31pm On Nov 22, 2010
KAY B.lets start with correcting ur own blunders,u dont even know the difference b/w they and there,sorry that u dont know where to put ur punctuations too.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by chakula: 4:05pm On Nov 22, 2010
The OP needs extra class for him to improve his vocabs that is why he takes style and blame journalists as well as tv stations were not doing very well the way in which some of the reports released without proper editting,but it was noted both you and the media NL will look into the matter soon for solution.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2010
I was reading one sport paper few weeks ago and the reporter was saying Alonso(the F1 driver) is set to make a comeback and the coloum had the picture of xabi Alonso of real Madrid shocked
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by dayokanu(m): 5:36pm On Nov 22, 2010
^^ Abeggi.

Na the same Alonso jare.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Tokotaya: 7:22pm On Nov 22, 2010
aparata:

KAY B.lets start with correcting your own blunders,u dont even know the difference b/w they and there,sorry that u dont know where to put your punctuations too.
LOL. It turned out that the shame people can see more readily here is on the OP! grin
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by darqly(m): 7:56pm On Nov 22, 2010
What do you expect from 'cut n paste' journalism? I think there should be an improvement to the definition of plagiarism as far as Nigerian journalists and editors are involved. I recall back then they'd at least have the decency and courtesy to append 'culled from-'. These days our papers just lift entire portions(from online sources) verbatim and damn the consequences!
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by YME4(m): 9:41pm On Nov 22, 2010
The comments and replies on this topic thus far has shown the very reason why Nigeria is in a total mess in many aspects.

The op has not made any claims of being a journalist, professor of English or a media personnel. He only started a discussion on an embarrassing fact that has plagued us for years. But instead of Nigerians to raise their voice and contribute positively to rectifying this issue. They have made the OP's English literature skills the subject of the discussion averting the real topic at hand.

In no time we will have people insulting each other from unnecessary 'over-sabi', further derailing the topic at hand.

The message in the discussion started is clear enough for any reasonable person to understand. It was not aimed at anybody's father or mother. So why take it personal - unless of course the incompetent journalists and/or their relatives are on here.

SHAME!!!
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by Tokotaya: 10:06pm On Nov 22, 2010
Y.M.E:

The comments and replies on this topic thus far has shown the very reason why Nigeria is in a total mess in many aspects.

The op has not made any claims of being a journalist, professor of English or a media personnel. He only started a discussion on an embarrassing fact that has plagued us for years. But instead of Nigerians to raise their voice and contribute positively to rectifying this issue. They have made the OP's English literature skills the subject of the discussion averting the real topic at hand.

In no time we will have people insulting each other from unnecessary 'over-sabi', further derailing the topic at hand.

The message in the discussion started is clear enough for any reasonable person to understand. It was not aimed at anybody's father or mother. So why take it personal - unless of course the incompetent journalists and/or their relatives are on here.

SHAME!!!

The point you have missed is this: Standards of education are falling very fast. It is not about the media alone. It is noticeable in every profession and obvious everywhere you look, including the post of the original poster. No point pretending we are better and pointing at other people's problems. Talk about the quality of education in our schools, return of meritocracy, etc, generally, and you will have my support.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by blackweaver(m): 11:11pm On Nov 22, 2010
but then again, to be fair to fellow nairalanders, they aren't paid to write articles for people to read unlike newspapers; besides that even if the person who covered a story made one or two grammatical errors do you mean these newspapers don't have people to proof read the article, or is it that the proof readers themselves are incapable of proper english?
now back to nairaland, there have been times i've posted a comment and after posting i see a typo and when i modify the error to correct my mistake the message disappears - which can be a pretty annoying (i know, i know, i could always preview my message before posting). Anyway i sometimes read some discussions on some western forums and one thing i notice is that you make a typographical or grammatical error and someone will definitely point it out and then you'd have this bunch of people complaining about how some people can't write proper english.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by tommi34475: 3:52pm On Nov 25, 2010
@Y.M.E the op got what he asked for, anyone who must come to equity must come with clean hands, your location reads London, so you might not appreciate the situation on ground. A lot of media people are overworked and underpaid as such the quality of what we see. Tell me any industry in Nigeria where everything is perfect? I can tell you for free, NONE! Everyone here is simply making the best of what's available, A friend on an excursion to Kainji dam (naija's largest source of electricity) came back and told me that the engineers there ought to get national awards because according the him, most of the facilities were obsolete, yet they manage to get their jobs done in any way it can be. My point is simple, everyone is simply doing their bit and if you want to change anything, start with the next election and stop beating a gagged dog for not barking.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by lanrei(m): 8:11pm On Nov 28, 2010
tommi34475:

@Y.M.E the op got what he asked for, anyone who must come to equity must come with clean hands, your location reads London, so you might not appreciate the situation on ground. A lot of media people are overworked and underpaid as such the quality of what we see. Tell me any industry in Nigeria where everything is perfect? I can tell you for free, NONE! Everyone here is simply making the best of what's available, A friend on an excursion to Kainji dam (naija's largest source of electricity) came back and told me that the engineers there ought to get national awards because according the him, most of the facilities were obsolete, yet they manage to get their jobs done in any way it can be. My point is simple, everyone is simply doing their bit and if you want to change anything, start with the next election and stop beating a gagged dog for not barking.
WORD
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by KayB: 3:33pm On Dec 07, 2010
Thanks for your responses even though it is unarguably evident that most of the respondents are journalists who refused to accept that the face of a country lies in the media, evaluate CNN & BCC on reporting similar reportage. There problems that could be redeemed by putting right peg in the right hole this errors are still in your own capacity to rectify. FRCN is doing well despite poor pay and bad working condition, and they dont collect money b4 they print educational stories. will reply you big time when i dont use phone
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by tommi34475: 9:28am On Dec 08, 2010
Mr. Kay B, I've tried to put across my points so that you can understand the situation as it stands, but apparently, you already formed your opinion.

To say that most respondents to your post are journalists is just a fallacy of assumption, cos I'm not one, and if you say that FRCN is doing better, then I wonder what was your basis for measurement. How do you compare FRCN to the BBC that you quoted in your post? I guess far behind and that speaks of every other sector in our economy. So you can't just isolate the media, this is the problem afflicting the whole Nation, check the army, the police, every government department, the doctors etc. We should all reflect on how we've gotten to this sorry state rather than all this shenanigan.
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by 4wardever(m): 11:03pm On Dec 08, 2010
I guess its a culture thing.

Convert your audio/video to texts and ebooks error free. send a mail: frankway@gmail.com
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by KayB: 6:52am On Dec 22, 2010
that decadence is in Nigeria does not mean we should not redeem our individual efforts as regards the media because these are errors that could be rectified within the scope of our individual and organisational operations meanwhile my concern is solely on the child educational development in relation to the media. foreigners get to know who we are through our newspapers and if can boast of literary icons and on the pages of our dailies we have little to show for it then my concern is not too much. i finished from public schools and i'm ok compare to what is obtainable now
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by uwagboeogi: 10:27am On Dec 31, 2010
Well, I think, Nigeria need a total restructuring
Re: Media In Nigeria: A Big Shame by medjai(m): 9:54pm On Dec 31, 2010
KayB:

i dont actually know where to start because you will see many samples on this forum, anybody reading a nigerian newspapers these days is just a waste of time because you can hardly open a page without encountering different errors - from bad grammar to misspelt words when computers have made everything easy we still see typographical blunders and incomplete stories. i wonder where schoolchildren go nowadays to develop their english language since what the tv stations scroll are rubbish sometimes, while even on radio they can't call nigerian names correctly because majority got the jobs through the backdoor leaving out the passion of perfection
Your English isn't any better mate. Matter-of-fact, it is worse off.

(1) (Reply)

New Story: My Life As A Teacher / Nigerian International Book Fair / Niyi Osundare At 60 Reads At Jazz Hole In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.