Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,444 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Atheist Marriage In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Atheist Marriage In Nigeria (1014 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Marries For The 7th Time - His 4th Marriage In 2 Months (Video) / Full History Of Ebira People And Traditional Marriage In Ebira Land / Traditional Marriage In Uromi, Esanland. Please Share Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 9:03pm On Nov 04, 2019
Are any free thinkers, agnostics, atheists, etc here dating/married in Nigeria or dating/married to Nigerians?

How was the journey and what advice do you have?

Serious thread.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by sweetonugbu: 9:07pm On Nov 04, 2019
Following
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by durubrian(m): 4:17pm On Nov 14, 2019
Would be almost impossible to find an irreligious partner.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by Lonelypacifist6: 1:35pm On Nov 25, 2019
There's a girl on Nairaland whose an atheist you probably know her.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 2:06am On Nov 14, 2021
Only 1 girl in a country of 200 million? Haba.
Lonelypacifist6:
There's a girl on Nairaland whose an atheist you probably know her.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:03am On Nov 15, 2021
cooooooks:
Are any free thinkers, agnostics, atheists, etc here dating/married in Nigeria or dating/married to Nigerians?

How was the journey and what advice do you have?

Serious thread.
Journey to what exactly? undecided
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by nobaga: 2:57am On Nov 15, 2021
How do you expect anyone from the most religious country in the world to admit to such when most of them including their Pastors and Imams are hustlers.

Most if not all do not believe in God like the Christians and Muslims that lie to them.

Dollar is god.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 5:13am On Nov 15, 2021
The journey of navigating the religion issue. Was your partner also irreligious? Are you "unequally yoked"? How about parents and extended families?

Kobojunkie:
Journey to what exactly? undecided
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 5:15am On Nov 15, 2021
How many "true Christians" believe that all the people parading themselves as "believers" actually believe?

nobaga:
How do you expect anyone from the most religious country in the world to admit to such when most of them including their Pastors and Imams are hustlers.

Most if not all do not believe in God like the Christians and Muslims that lie to them.

Dollar is god.

Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:27am On Nov 15, 2021
cooooooks:
The journey of navigating the religion issue. Was your partner also irreligious? Are you "unequally yoked"? How about parents and extended families?
Navigating what religion issue? You mean dating or marrying a religious partner? But why do that at all? Why get involved with that kind of headache at all? undecided

jesus Christ, the one who Christians actually obey, have His followers freedom where it concerns marriage, only stipulation is equality...in marriage a man is equal to his wife, no such thing as one being head over the other. Paul's statement on being un-equally yoked is grossly misconstrued by the religion, but then that is what many religious folks tend to do a lot of. : undecided

As for family, marriage is a partnership between a man and a woman. So they get to decide what their dealings with extended family will be, this as a couple.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 6:20am On Nov 15, 2021
Nigeria is uber-religious, albeit nominally. The thread is a space for people who have navigated the marrying waters.

If a Nigerian wakes up and arbitrarily removes all nominally religious people from consideration, they would be left with a very shallow pool to choose from. This is before considering other, more important, issues: compatibility, general good-naturedness, actual attraction.

Your interpretation of Paul's letter (the actual founder of the religion) is not the majority, a strong minority. People will still generally come up against "unequally yoked" mantra; even if they are a different 'type' of Christian.

I do think marriage is a partnership regardless of religion/or lack thereof.

Kobojunkie:
Navigating what religion issue? You mean dating or marrying a religious partner? But why do that at all? Why get involved with that kind of headache at all? undecided

jesus Christ, the one who Christians actually obey, have His followers freedom where it concerns marriage, only stipulation is equality...in marriage a man is equal to his wife, no such thing as one being head over the other. Paul's statement on being un-equally yoked is grossly misconstrued by the religion, but then that is what many religious folks tend to do a lot of. : undecided

As for family, marriage is a partnership between a man and a woman. So they get to decide what their dealings with extended family will be, this as a couple.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 15, 2021
cooooooks:
Nigeria is uber-religious, albeit nominally. The thread is a space for people who have navigated the marrying waters.

If a Nigerian wakes up and arbitrarily removes all nominally religious people from consideration, they would be left with a very shallow pool to choose from. This is before considering other, more important, issues: compatibility, general good-naturedness, actual attraction.

Your interpretation of Paul's letter (the actual founder of the religion) is not the majority, a strong minority. People will still generally come up against "unequally yoked" mantra; even if they are a different 'type' of Christian.

I do think marriage is a partnership regardless of religion/or lack thereof.

Paul wrote many books, but Christ is the founder of Christianity. He called himself "The Way" and when Christianity spread outside Isreal, early Christians were called "followers of the way" even before Saul was converted. And if you'll say Saul is the founder, how come he had to report to James the Great, half brother of Jesus and the apostles at Jerusalem? Catholics might argue Peter was in charge, but it was actually James who was in charge. Never Saul-Paul. If it were, historians like Josephus would have attested to his leadership.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 12:08pm On Nov 15, 2021
The first books were written by Paul. The only person who claimed to have seen Jesus, and put their name there, was Paul. Even then, it was a vision.

Lollittaa:

Paul wrote many books, but Christ is the founder of Christianity. He called himself "The Way" and when Christianity spread outside Isreal, early Christians were called "followers of the way" even before Saul was converted. And if you'll say Saul is the founder, how come he had to report to James the Great, half brother of Jesus and the apostles at Jerusalem? Catholics might argue Peter was in charge, but it was actually James who was in charge. Never Saul-Paul. If it were, historians like Josephus would have attested to his leadership.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 15, 2021
cooooooks:
The first books were written by Paul. The only person who claimed to have seen Jesus, and put their name there, was Paul. Even then, it was a vision.

you should read the writings of Josephus. There was a physical, literal Jesus. Not saying this because I'm a Christian. Just like confucius, Mohammed, these people lived and walked this earth. Jesus existed and Rome killed him.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 12:18pm On Nov 15, 2021
I've read of Josephus.

Many scholars contend that Josephus never mentioned Jesus.

Watch/read works by Bart Ehrman (New Testament scholar) or/and Tovia Singer (Jewish Rabbi/scholar).

Lollittaa:

you should read the writings of Josephus. There was a physical, literal Jesus. Not saying this because I'm a Christian. Just like confucius, Mohammed, these people lived and walked this earth. Jesus existed and Rome killed him.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 15, 2021
cooooooks:
I've read of Josephus.

Many scholars contend that Josephus never mentioned Jesus.

Watch/read works by Bart Ehrman (New Testament scholar) or/and Tovia Singer (Jewish Rabbi/scholar).

you read of Josephus. But did you read his writings? Besides Flavius Josephus who was a Jewish historian, Gaius Tacitus, a roman historian, also mentioned a "Christus" and Christians who were named after him. .
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 1:38pm On Nov 15, 2021
There were many Christus in those times.

Mere mentioning isn't proof of anything.

Nne, I've heard all these arguments. The best Apologists generally fail to be convincing.

Lollittaa:

you read of Josephus. But did you read his writings? Besides Flavius Josephus who was a Jewish historian, Gaius Tacitus, a roman historian, also mentioned a "Christus" and Christians who were named after him. .
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 15, 2021
cooooooks:
There were many Christus in those times.

Mere mentioning isn't proof of anything.

Nne, I've heard all these arguments. The best Apologists generally fail to be convincing.

I'm not even trying to convince you. I'm stating a fact. There were many Christus. And many people were executed on the cross. But one man, one Christus, executed on the cross, sparked a new movement.
Historians wrote for a reason. To document facts so those coming after can read of what happened in days gone by.
Two things are involved. Either they both lied. Or they told the truth. You can say Josephus was favourably biased, since he an Israeli. How about Tacitus who was a Roman, who wasn't even a Jew.
Facts are facts.
I'm only responding to your earlier submission that Paul was the founder of Christianity.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 2:08pm On Nov 15, 2021
This discussion is derailing the thread (thread was for relationships not the historicity of Jesus).

The documentation for the Bible is very poor by historical standards.
Tacitus' reliability is also largely questioned for many reasons. Not least of which is the fact that he was in Rome, not Jerusalem, Galilee, etc.

You could create another thread for the historicity.

Lollittaa:

I'm not even trying to convince you. I'm stating a fact. There were many Christus. And many people were executed on the cross. But one man, one Christus, executed on the cross, sparked a new movement.
Historians wrote for a reason. To document facts so those coming after can read of what happened in days gone by.
Two things are involved. Either they both lied. Or they told the truth. You can say Josephus was favourably biased, since he an Israeli. How about Tacitus who was a Roman, who wasn't even a Jew.
Facts are facts.
I'm only responding to your earlier submission that Paul was the founder of Christianity.
Re: Atheist Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 15, 2021
cooooooks:
This discussion is derailing the thread (thread was for relationships not the historicity of Jesus).

The documentation for the Bible is very poor by historical standards.
Tacitus' reliability is also largely questioned for many reasons. Not least of which is the fact that he was in Rome, not Jerusalem, Galilee, etc.

You could create another thread for the historicity.

Trust me, I don't intend derailing your thread. I just had to set things straight. We can argue back and forth and it won't convince you any more or me any lesser. Cheers.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Royal Staff: Àdàbí Will Nullify The Ifá Priest Curses If Oba Akiolu Is Guilty / The Nigerian Estate Agent You Need To Be Careful Of / Urhobo 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.