Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,446 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React (36673 Views)

Shehu Sani Reacts To Disqualification Of 'Lionheart' By Oscar / Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts / Nigerians React As Genevieve Nnaji LIONHEART Shows On Netflix. Trends On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by happney65: 5:37pm On Nov 05, 2019
BitmapStudios:

I had posted my opinion on another thread. These people need to pull their heads outta their buttcracks.
Sometimes ago, I wanted to enter to a photography competition, a portrait challenge to be precise. The competition is an online thing and according to the ad, was calling on all photographers from all over the world. I had taken time to look for a model and did my shoot and everything. I was about to post and I decided to read the T&C, especially to know how and where to post my images. One of the conditions stated that, one must be resident in the US. I was furious and felt defeated, but then, it is what it is. Plus, it would be stupid to send my images since I would eventually be disqualified.

So, these pseudo-celebrities and wannabees should shut their traps already. It's getting more stupid.
cool

I like this "pull their heads outta their buttcracks."They really need to cos they are stupid..especially that dotun..He is a stupid fellow always feeling like a King.

Nonesense and Buhari..

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by BluntBoy(m): 5:53pm On Nov 05, 2019
shogsman:
Why do we look up to this people for approval
Moreso the movie is average at best

Every movie industry looks up to Hollywood. Even the much improved Bollywood have actors who aspire to be in Hollywood.

How many of our filmmakers know anything about movies? How many Nigerians even know anything about movies aside going to/or buying to watch?

How many of our notable cinematographers trained here in Nigeria? Even the cinematographer behind this Lionheart did not train in Nigeria.

This is not a matter of inferiority complex. We may invest some day and raise the standard of our film industry. But for now, we are still far behind.

We can't even organize the Headies properly.

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by shogsman(m): 5:59pm On Nov 05, 2019
BluntBoy:

Every movie industry looks up to Hollywood. Even the much improved Bollywood have actors who aspire to be in Hollywood.

How many of our filmmakers know anything about movies? How many Nigerians even know anything about movies aside going to/or buying to watch?

How many of our notable cinematographers trained here in Nigeria? Even the cinematographer behind this Lionheart did not train in Nigeria.

This is not a matter of inferiority complex. We may invest some day and raise the standard of our film industry. But for now, we are still far behind.

We can't even organize the Headies properly.

Point of correction, not everybody look up to Hollywood,Indian movies don't include English subtitles because they careless about people viewing their content outside of India.
There is nothing wrong connecting with The outside world after all we speak the same language, but the level of sucking up in this country is sickening.
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by LZAA: 6:18pm On Nov 05, 2019
YorubaPrince:

There's nothing like Yorubawood. Yoruba movies are the original Nollywood! Simple.

You Igbos are too ashamed of your culture and language. At least 85% of Igbos bear English names cuz they're too ashamed of their Igbo names and the ones with Igbo names would convert it to English... you go dey hear Peace, Happiness, Joy, Victory, Laughter, Smile grin

A Yoruba would rather bear Segun than Victory which is the English translation.

Btw... how many Igbo movies are out there? Nobody would watch that nasty thing even their own Igbos. Just imagine! cool
Travel una go travel
Even startimes show pure igbo movies
Please receive sense na

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by LZAA: 6:22pm On Nov 05, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
see this guy oohgringringrin so LZAA you dey talk like thisgringrin abi think say na to dey post memes and call your fellow clowns imhotep and the rest for every thread you sabi do cheesycheesy

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by OyiboOyibo(m): 6:30pm On Nov 05, 2019
Ebus12:
It isn't too surprising that lion heart was disqualified

The hype on that movie was too high but the content was way lower than what we expected

I couldn't understand the direction and meaning of the movie till it ended
The likes of Pete edochie, phyno, rudeboy and others was just what attracted me to the film

But I sincerely regretted the 2 hours I wasted watching that trash

Try again Next Genevive
That Trash was nominated by Oscar, same trash was bought by Netflix....keep ranting

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Vanh(f): 6:46pm On Nov 05, 2019
Sincerely speaking, it ain’t worth the hype
Beckysexy:
Still haven't watched it yet ,but I'll watch it soon
I hope it worth the hype

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by herich(m): 6:56pm On Nov 05, 2019
YorubaPrince:

There's nothing like Yorubawood. Yoruba movies are the original Nollywood! Simple.

You Igbos are too ashamed of your culture and language. At least 85% of Igbos bear English names cuz they're too ashamed of their Igbo names and the ones with Igbo names would convert it to English... you go dey hear Peace, Happiness, Joy, Victory, Laughter, Smile grin

A Yoruba would rather bear Segun than Victory which is the English translation.

Btw... how many Igbo movies are out there? Nobody would watch that nasty thing even their own Igbos. Just imagine! cool

The thing is, most you guys have not traveled out your comfort zone, but you'll have your submission on how really Igbos behaves. It's so pathetic that you'll be in your Oshogbo village and concludes that Igbos don't bear native names.
One thing you must know is that, there is no Igbo man, that doesn't have Igbo name. It depends on the particular name someone is used to.....(either native name or foreign, because it may not necessarily be English name because most of them are Christian names) Right from childhood.
The earlier you stop nursing those foolish thought, better for you.
Same thing applicable to your Muslim brothers in the north, who bears Muslim names(foreign names)
Raaheed, rashedat, idayat, aminat, jamiu, taofeek, modinat, musliu, shehu, fatai, Kareem, wasiu amino(aminat) and so many other Muslim names you guys bears, are Yoruba name, right?
See eh!
You can only deceive people who have not stepped their foot in the west (just as you have been deceiving them) you can't deceive majority of us, who where born and brought up in Lagos, who have dined with yorubas to the core, who even speaks Yoruba language more than Igbo language.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by meobizy(f): 7:41pm On Nov 05, 2019
To me this may turn out a made up story which spread like wildfire because internet.

It’s about three weeks and everyone has forgotten Victoria Kimani bleeped Wizkid multiple times. Lol. I do not fear internet fame. It will work for me instead.
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by bigtt76(f): 9:08pm On Nov 05, 2019
I've not watched it though but from reviews I've read, I lost the zeal.

Tried watching King of Boys and all that was starring at me was the Nigerian version of The God Father movie, lacks originality but not surprised, Nollywood started same way.

UpNorth though with some form of originality, rushed through the scenes and plots to make sure it didn't get past the 2hr mark it seem cheesy

I've not watched Merry Men but will try that out together with Moms at War.

Ebus12:

The hype on that movie was too high but the content was way lower than what we expected

The likes of Pete edochie, phyno, rudeboy and others was just what attracted me to the film

Try again Next Genevive
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by BluntBoy(m): 10:14pm On Nov 05, 2019
shogsman:

Point of correction, not everybody look up to Hollywood,Indian movies don't include English subtitles because they careless about people viewing their content outside of India.
There is nothing wrong connecting with The outside world after all we speak the same language, but the level of sucking up in this country is sickening.

Say only what you know.

Many Bollywood movies are dubbed in English, and many have subtitles.

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Melanyn(m): 12:07am On Nov 06, 2019
I don't even know why dey sent lion heart for consideration instead of king of boys or merry men sef
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by aminusodiq(m): 12:33am On Nov 06, 2019
Beckysexy:
Still haven't watched it yet ,but I'll watch it soon
I hope it worth the hype
it's not worth it dear... I regretd seeing dah movie

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Ability247(m): 2:34am On Nov 06, 2019
Congrats to Genny on "Lionheart" and "an Oscar" being in the same sentence (even though it was a disqualification) but to be honest, like most people already said, that movie isn't worth the hype at all. It's not hating, it's just the fact. I endured it because I wanted to see my man Phyno act. They had talented people on the project (Genevieve, Edochie, Osuofia, etc) but the plot and movie direction were just way off. I still don't know why Netflix bought it but it's all good. I enjoyed Rita Dominic's The Meeting way more than that Lionheart drama.

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by obiem(m): 3:11am On Nov 06, 2019
YorubaPrince:
I've always said it over and over again. 90% of Igbos carry English language for head like gala and they've lost their indigenous cultural values. How many Igbos bear English names out of shame for their own indigenous Igbo names? How many Igbo movies are out there?

They think speaking English equates sophistication. They claim they're Nollywood while they refer to Yoruba movies as Yorubawood. Rubbish!

Although, majority of Nigerian movies are trash but, at least, the Yoruba movies are recognized as the real Nollywood to the international community as it's indigenous! cool

Btw... the movie is too overrated!

@Op, I agree with you. Iam Igbo and yes we really carry English for head like load at the detriment of their own language. Though there are a few igbo movies here and there but they are all crap. I remember in 1992 when Living in Bondage came out, it was a huge success despite it being 100% Igbo and it wasn't even subtitled.

All this English movies we make, we can never be more English than the English themselves! I hope Genevieve and co learn from this and start looking inward and drop this English movie frenzy!

2 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Nobody: 3:59am On Nov 06, 2019
So nooobody thought Lionheart was worthy to be submitted to the Oscars? The same Lionheart that was picked up and promoted by Netflix might I add. I actually liked it. And if you actually watch the movies that are nominated for Oscars, it was worthy to contend. Almost all of them have the same formula, they are dramas, a consistent plot, (main point of the film), goodcinematography, de character development, the underdog wins in the end, easy enough for someone not familiar with the culture to follow along, and good screenwritting(script). Those are the things the Oscars are looking for, not eye candy, theatrics, or comedic lines. Just because something is not your cup of tea(preference) doesnt mean its not deserving of success and recognition. It is a shame, however, that it didnt follow the guidelines, if it had, i believe it would have been a good contender. It would be good for some of you to actually see the past nominees that have won or lost and then form a better analysis. Im proud of what she tried to do.

2 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by 9jaRealist: 4:35am On Nov 06, 2019
bigtt76:
Funny how people don't understand that when the word 'International' is used, its meant to mean anything other than the language of the domiciled country of an organization or anything presenting same.

The movie academy is a US-based body which hitherto had been awarding movies produced in the US (Hollywood), it was only to broaden its scope it decided to include movies produced elsewhere (International) by setting up a category called 'Best Foreign Movie which it changed to International.

The rules still remained the same, movie must not be predominantly written in English language which if done, would be akin to creating a category to directly compete with Hollywood movies which is not what the case is meant to be.

Teacher Don't Teach us Nonsense...
International is not synonymous with Foreign Language.

Granted it's the Academy's award and thus its rules...
It does NOT change the fundamentals of the English language.

>
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by 9jaRealist: 4:43am On Nov 06, 2019
Ebus12:

Try again Next Genevive

AGREE, I personally found it underwhelming
However, it was NOT disqualified because of the quality of the content.

>
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 06, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
see this guy oohgringringrin so LZAA you dey talk like thisgringrin abi think say na to dey post memes and call your fellow clowns imhotep and the rest for every thread you sabi do cheesycheesy
Igbo amaka

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Ogundejasmine: 12:38pm On Nov 06, 2019
Can't Mokalik be nominated too since they are look for native language movies
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by sholay2011(m): 3:39pm On Nov 06, 2019
Ogundejasmine:
Can't Mokalik be nominated too since they are look for native language movies
That would have been a better submission and frankly, it's a better movie! That Nigerian foreign film submission committee needs to be checked.
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Makschinchin: 1:55pm On Nov 07, 2019
zicoraads:
There's no big deal about this movie to be honest. I've seen better.

I started watching it, but haven't found the time to finish it.

It got to where it got to because of who was in charge of it. The surprise would have been if the movie actually won any prize. The whites mostly don't allow sentiments becloud their sense of reasoning in matters like these.

These celebrities are just whinning because it's Genevieve's.

@bold, you are right sir.. Here in Naija, we allow sentiment becloud our sense of judgement.

Truth be told, the movie was over hyped tongue
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by edoairways: 6:14pm On Nov 07, 2019
Backfornow:
So nooobody thought Lionheart was worthy to be submitted to the Oscars? The same Lionheart that was picked up and promoted by Netflix might I add. I actually liked it. And if you actually watch the movies that are nominated for Oscars, it was worthy to contend. Almost all of them have the same formula, they are dramas, a consistent plot, (main point of the film), goodcinematography, de character development, the underdog wins in the end, easy enough for someone not familiar with the culture to follow along, and good screenwritting(script). Those are the things the Oscars are looking for, not eye candy, theatrics, or comedic lines. Just because something is not your cup of tea(preference) doesnt mean its not deserving of success and recognition. It is a shame, however, that it didnt follow the guidelines, if it had, i believe it would have been a good contender. It would be good for some of you to actually see the past nominees that have won or lost and then form a better analysis. Im proud of what she tried to do.
The main reason why Lion Heart lost out was because of the category movie it was nominated for. Out of its 94-minute runtime, Lionheart has around 12 minutes of dialogue in Igbo language, but the rest of the film is in English. However there is no need for OSCAR award since we have AMAA. What AMAA should do is to raise the standard higher than it use to be
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by edoairways: 6:27pm On Nov 07, 2019
obiem:

@Op, I agree with you. Iam Igbo and yes we really carry English for head like load at the detriment of their own language. Though there are a few igbo movies here and there but they are all crap. I remember in 1992 when Living in Bondage came out, it was a huge success despite it being 100% Igbo and it wasn't even subtitled.

All this English movies we make, we can never be more English than the English themselves! I hope Genevieve and co learn from this and start looking inward and drop this English movie frenzy!
Even if they start producing Igbo movies now the viewers would reduce
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by edoairways: 6:32pm On Nov 07, 2019
Africans especially Nigerian film shouldn't stress themselves in seeking for OSCAR award rather they should raised increase the standard of AMAA.
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by sholay2011(m): 7:03pm On Nov 07, 2019
Backfornow:
You made some very good points though. It was actually a good, well-made movie (which I cannot say for most Nigerian movies). I think all Nigerians want are plot-driven movies with twists and slapstick comedies, not character-driven, heart-wrenching stories with depth. We like 'interesting' movies...lol.
Let me just say it: many Nigerians have terrible tastes movie-wise. lipsrsealed

Nonetheless, Mokalik was a BETTER movie compared to Lion Heart and might have qualified. My grouse is with the so-called selection committee that picked this. Didn't they read the rules for the category?!
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Kennyswagz1(m): 7:23pm On Nov 07, 2019
OyiboOyibo:

That Trash was nominated by Oscar, same trash was bought by Netflix....keep ranting
it was submitted for Oscar nomination. It was not nominated.. read una no go read...

2 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Kennyswagz1(m): 7:28pm On Nov 07, 2019
herich:

The thing is, most you guys have not traveled out your comfort zone, but you'll have your submission on how really Igbos behaves. It's so pathetic that you'll be in your Oshogbo village and concludes that Igbos don't bear native names.
One thing you must know is that, there is no Igbo man, that doesn't have Igbo name. It depends on the particular name someone is used to.....(either native name or foreign, because it may not necessarily be English name because most of them are Christian names) Right from childhood.
The earlier you stop nursing those foolish thought, better for you.
Same thing applicable to your Muslim brothers in the north, who bears Muslim names(foreign names)
Raaheed, rashedat, idayat, aminat, jamiu, taofeek, modinat, musliu, shehu, fatai, Kareem, wasiu amino(aminat) and so many other Muslim names you guys bears, are Yoruba name, right?
See eh!
You can only deceive people who have not stepped their foot in the west (just as you have been deceiving them) you can't deceive majority of us, who where born and brought up in Lagos, who have dined with yorubas to the core, who even speaks Yoruba language more than Igbo language.
those ones are.Islamic names .. we are talking of joy,happiness, peace,etc that igbos near... are those one English names
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by herich(m): 10:46pm On Nov 07, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
those ones are.Islamic names .. we are talking of joy,happiness, peace,etc that igbos near... are those one English names

Both the Islamic names and English names are all foreign names.
If the Igbos bear English and Christian names,
Don't you think Yorubas, bearing Islamic names, which is is foreign, are also guilty of the same thing?
And tell me, that you don't have any foreign name(either first or middle name) attached to your name?
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Kennyswagz1(m): 1:48am On Nov 08, 2019
herich:

Both the Islamic names and English names are all foreign names.
If the Igbos bear English and Christian names,
Don't you think Yorubas, bearing Islamic names, which is is foreign, are also guilty of the same thing?
And tell me, that you don't have any foreign name(either first or middle name) attached to your name?
no
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Nobody: 2:41am On Nov 09, 2019
sholay2011:

You made some very good points though. It was actually a good, well-made movie (which I cannot say for most Nigerian movies). I think all Nigerians want are plot-driven movies with twists and slapstick comedies, not character-driven, heart-wrenching stories with depth. We like 'interesting' movies...lol.
Let me just say it: many Nigerians have terrible tastes movie-wise. lipsrsealed

Nonetheless, Mokalik was a BETTER movie compared to Lion Heart and might have qualified. My grouse is with the so-called selection committee that picked this. Didn't they read the rules for the category?!
Im going to check it out, since so many of you guys on the thread recommended it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: Which Ship Would You Restore? (Photos) / BBNaija: “Esther Did Not Have Sex With Any Housemate” - Her Management Insists / NTA And AIT Now Praising GMB!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.