Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,554 members, 7,801,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) (43118 Views)

Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) / See How I Make Yummy Bread Pizza At Home, Better Than Take Out (Photos, Video) / Fisayo Soyombo's Nigerian Local Rice Tweet: Nigerians Blast Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by ikorodureporta: 4:26pm On Nov 06, 2019
Is this the type of rice they eat in their houses? Thunder fyre whoeva dey punish Nigerians for selfish reasons
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by mindtricks: 4:27pm On Nov 06, 2019
nonye6194:
He is now riding on his Nigerian Prisons story to be a nuisance. There are different grades of rice all over the market, at different rates too. Some are properly processed, while some aren't (partly because they don't have access to state of art facilities the big tier firms such as Olam, Coscharis rice Mills, etc have). A good number can't access loans or aids from banks/government to boost their businesses and improve their final product.
Be patient with our local farmers and over time things would get better.

But no, some will bash the efforts some are making to ensure food security for Nigeria.

"Patience" is the way to go because as long as it is Nigeria we must have the worst experience of these things (such as stony rice) before they can improve. I guess Nigeria is truly a banana Republic like some say, hence no rules, no quality checks or controls. Where there is no standard anything goes.
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by ajl: 4:27pm On Nov 06, 2019
ikorodureporta:
Mumu country. Rice that u're getting at less than N10k, you prefer subsidizing for farmers to produce above N20k for inferior quality...
Instead of focusing on cassava, cocoa, oil palm, yam, etc that u have more than other countries

Common crude oil you have, you can't refine.
# CursedLeaders!

What stop you too from focusing on farming by growing cassava, cocoa, palm oil and otheras.. Or have you loaned out your hands to manual dry cleaners?

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by TheExecutioner: 4:27pm On Nov 06, 2019
I'm the person who pays the cleaner's salary. How much do you want this month?

ForeThinker:

Lol ..r u d cleaner ?
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by ajl: 4:32pm On Nov 06, 2019
mindtricks:

"Patience" is the way to go because as long as it is Nigeria we must have the worst experience of these things (such as stony rice) before they can improve. I guess Nigeria is truly a banana Republic like some say, hence no rules, no quality checks or controls. Where there is no standard anything goes.

As usual the government is failing to play one of its major function, regulating and overseeing that products with minimum level of standard enter the market. Corruption won't let them. I heard a Ghanaian minister say on online tv show that only Nigerian market will accept Ghana's sub-standard mango juice, which they dare not attempt to export to Asia or Europe.
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by ikorodureporta: 4:33pm On Nov 06, 2019
ajl:

Your analogy may seem appropriate but Nigeria was not spending billions of dollar to "import" foreign music. I got your point because I belong to that generation too. We rather listen to Shalamar or Cool and the Gang than listen to own Dizzy K. But food issue is a security and economic issue. If you know the "war" been targeted at Nigeria for it to break up by external forces, not to talk of internal self-imposed challenges, your patriotism will skyrocket. Fourteen countries with most in west Africa are under the control of France. Nigeria is an hindrance to French total control of the Ecowas region. We should all learn to persevere and recommend suggestions for local production to get better. Nothing good come easy.

rice importers are not asking for govt's subsidy. The local are being subsidized by the govt, yet it's over N20k. Which sense b dat for this crap?
Is this the type of rice you will export for forex?

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by toolovely(m): 4:36pm On Nov 06, 2019
For more than two years now, I've been eating local rice. That's what I buy. Abakaliki rice. All these people bashing local rice of having stones and the rest, I have never picked stone or eaten stone in my own local rice.

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DarkJeddi(m): 4:39pm On Nov 06, 2019
DCmonster:
Just look at that senseless hypocrite named @tenderbiggie with tender brain, he doesn't even live in Nigeria but want Nigerians to eat that shitty local rice without option of choosing between local and foreign. That show how hypocritical nigerians can be. I love fisayos response to him anyway. Anyone who doesn't eat rice or resides in Nigeria that supports ban on foreign rice so that the poor can continue to eat a very bad but expensive staple food will never see good in their lives.
Foreign rice should be banned till the end of time in this country so that our brains should reformat..

There are a lot of good Nigerian rice in the market and banning the commodity is the best thing Buhari has done since he came into power..

Rice is not the only foodstuff in the market and nobody is going to die if he does not eat foreign rice..

Wasting Billions of dollars every year on something we can easily produce with the right commitment is irresponsible..

3 Likes

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DarkJeddi(m): 4:42pm On Nov 06, 2019
MisterChairman:
local rice is so bad and tasteless .. the annoying part is after cooking it will look short short
Buy quality local rice,not cheap Aboki Wheel barrow rice..
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by MoIbrahim: 4:47pm On Nov 06, 2019
oloriooko:

See mumu talk ooo grin
Investors my foot. We have been producing rise to over 30 years investors no come which investor will put his money in a place where cows roam free and destroy farms at will not to talk of a govt with no plan for investment protection

Abi brain dey pain you?

Why is it difficult for you people to use brain while posting? The discourse is about rice having stones, and you mention cows and inadequacy of rice farming to substantiate the opening of border.

Seriously, nairaland should start asking for medical certificate for sign ups.

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DarkJeddi(m): 4:48pm On Nov 06, 2019
grandstar:

The primary cause of hunger isn't a lack of food but a lack of money. Poverty is the primary cause of hunger.

How can paying far more for rice help food security? Rice portions have reduced. People are hungrier than before.
How does wasting Billions of dollars of scarce foreign exchange on imported rice help to achieve food security?

Banning imported rice encourages local production and quality improvement on said commodity..
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by wolebest: 4:49pm On Nov 06, 2019
This investigative journalism is poor and conclusion hasty.

What brand of Nigerian rice is he castigating? I am very sure the rice he bought was from local farmers and their middlemen sold to the open markets and who will not bother about branding. This similar to the beans we regularly buy in the open market.

Nigerians look before you leap. Don't let any dick and Harry journalists mislead us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by nasirujj(m): 4:57pm On Nov 06, 2019
Those supporting him are more foolish than him. This is the cheapest Nigerian Rice. If you don't have money to buy the good one stop complaining.

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by imam07: 5:03pm On Nov 06, 2019
omoadeleye:
There are different rice don't go for the cheap ones you won't complain
yeye shay nah everyone fit buy quality rice? Because God bless u with work and dey collect good salary and it has make it to block ur eyes to see people around who can't even afford stony rice. Govt is only trying to encourage us to eat our local rice regardless of if bad or good. The bottom line is non of our local rice at the moment is better than Thailand rice. Unless if we don't want to say the truth because Buhari and apc don enter Buhari fans head. Even if Buhari order Nigeria to be eating shit, I will still see people that will eat shit.
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by imam07: 5:09pm On Nov 06, 2019
bimgo:
We will get there soon
get where soon? Hell or heaven. Make they close boarder for 100 years, Nigeria still can't change. With all these type of leaders we have. Broader closure no be our problem. U close boarder to inflict suffering on people because to improve the economy and you the president dey burn our dollars on baseless trips. Very funny, I dey see some people saying China too closed boarder for 40yrs.so their then leader dey go UK or Canada?
So until many people die of hunger finish b4 u know we go get there.

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by grandstar(m): 5:11pm On Nov 06, 2019
DarkJeddi:
How does wasting Billions of dollars of scarce foreign exchange on imported rice help to achieve food security?

Banning imported rice encourages local production and quality improvement on said commodity..

What do you mean by "wasting"? The reason why you export is to have money to pay for your imports. We don't use Venusian dollars because we don't trade with Venus. Neither do we hold Martian pounds as we don't trade with Mars.

The money isn't wasted. Importing rice helped to provide cheap food to the people and created lots of economic activity. I'm sure up to a million people were involved in rice either as importers, wholesalers and retailers. We are yet to include the bukas, cafeterias and restaurants selling rice.

There's nothing wasteful about spending money importing goods and services. What is wrong is when your currency is overvalued and therefore makes it cheaper to import than to buy locally made things. A strong currency creates artificial demand for foreign goods. As long as your currency isn't overvalued, you're good.

Economists say that if it is only one product you have comparative advantage in and you import the rest, that it is fine.

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by meccuno: 5:15pm On Nov 06, 2019
ajl:

Your analogy may seem appropriate but Nigeria was not spending billions of dollar to "import" foreign music. I got your point because I belong to that generation too. We rather listen to Shalamar or Cool and the Gang than listen to own Dizzy K. But food issue is a security and economic issue. If you know the "war" been targeted at Nigeria for it to break up by external forces, not to talk of internal self-imposed challenges, your patriotism will skyrocket. Fourteen countries with most in west Africa are under the control of France. Nigeria is an hindrance to French total control of the Ecowas region. We should all learn to persevere and recommend suggestions for local production to get better. Nothing good come easy.
i stopped believing in Nigeria long time ago. that aside. Buhari had FOUR years for him to have a PLAN on what to do. no one is dragging the presidency with him but he failed to do so. so why suffer the people more than what they can bear? i dont believe in FIRE BRIGADE approach. i am of the school of thought that whatever decision that anyone takes it must be carefully thought through. i can bet you that none of such was done. its not like i like insulting or castigating the government or presidency but i dont do well with hypochrisy. and this government has shown this time without number. they take ctions like as if they are not thought through that any one who doesnt like it should go to hell. my guy, DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ACTUALLY FREE IN NIGERIA? DO YOU THINK THAT THE BRITISH DOES NOT STILL HAVE A HAND IN OUR DAY TO DAY ACTIVITIES? DONT BE DECIEVED BY THE RETORICS ABOUT FRANCE AND HOW THEY CRIPPLE MOST FRANCOPHONE COUNTRIES I KNOW THAT STORY. WE ARE NOT INDEPENDENT IN THE REAL SENSE. LASTLY I CANNOT BE PATRIOTIC TO A COUNTRY THAT KILLS MY PEOPLE I KNOW MY HISTORY AND I KNOW WHAT THE NORTH AND THE WEST WANT TO ACHIEVE IN NIGERIA AND AFRICA AS A WHOLE.

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by ForeThinker: 5:47pm On Nov 06, 2019
TheExecutioner:
I'm the person who pays the cleaner's salary. How much do you want this month?

Really, you know what that sounds like? Not my problem!
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DarkJeddi(m): 5:50pm On Nov 06, 2019
grandstar:

What do you mean by "wasting"? The reason why you export is to have money to pay for your imports. We don't use Venusian dollars because we don't trade with Venus. Neither do we hold Martian pounds as we don't trade with Mars.

The money isn't wasted. Importing rice helped to provide cheap food to the people and created lots of economic activity. I'm sure up to a million people were involved in rice either as importers, wholesalers and retailers. We are yet to include the bukas, cafeterias and restaurants selling rice.

There's nothing wasteful about spending money importing goods and services. What is wrong is when your currency is overvalued and therefore makes it cheaper to import than to buy locally made things. A strong currency creates artificial demand for foreign goods. As long as your currency isn't overvalued, you're good.

Economists say that if it is only one product you have comparative advantage in and you import the rest, that it is fine.
The Naira is undervalued and the reason it is so is because of our penchant for foreign goods..

We export crude oil,

Which if you are current,has been loosing its market value for the past 5 years..

When you are not earning enough money from your exports and you insist on importing EVERYTHING from outside,

Instead of trying to conserve your meager resources by focusing on local production of goods you can produce at home,

You are courting economic disaster,

Banning rice importation conserves resources while encouraging local incentives to produce rice..

This same scenario happened with cement importation,

Cement importation was banned and local production encouraged,

Today..

Nigeria is self sufficient in cement and also exports cement..

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by GreenArrow1(m): 6:08pm On Nov 06, 2019
Queenlovely:
I must confess it's not easy buying stone in place of rice. We visited sas headquarters at ikeja to share food to detained people.
The rice was so Sandy I asked them to return it. Instead I ran to the local KFC to buy about 100 chicken or so.

Who's now to blame for your personal errors? When you went to the market why didn't you buy any of the varieties of Nigerian packaged rice like Olam, Labana, Mama's Pride, Umza, Ebony and the rest? Did you ask for them?
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by GreenArrow1(m): 6:12pm On Nov 06, 2019
Ogegod87:

Which Nigerian local rice is the best please?

Ask for Mama's Pride. This the one I've been buying for years now. Labana, Umza, Ebony and Olam are also very nice. Sweeter too. As for me, I like d fact that it swells more in pot as per bachelor standard. No be lie.

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by mechanics(m): 6:13pm On Nov 06, 2019
Maybe he bought a fake one, there are better Nigerian made rice in the market.
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by Reelnah: 6:23pm On Nov 06, 2019
Nonsense guy looking for cheap publicity.
The Polish poison rice u buy in ur market before, also show it to us when soak and wash in water, let us see.
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DCmonster: 6:30pm On Nov 06, 2019
DarkJeddi:
Foreign rice should be banned till the end of time in this country so that our brains should reformat..

There are a lot of good Nigerian rice in the market and banning the commodity is the best thing Buhari has done since he came into power..

Rice is not the only foodstuff in the market and nobody is going to die if he does not eat foreign rice..

Wasting Billions of dollars every year on something we can easily produce with the right commitment is irresponsible..
You sound more like an illiterate! It's either you are one or badly educated. This is a democratic country, so you have no moral right to tell the civil populace what to eat and what not to eat. We are not in a communist country! The money people spend to purchase the foreign rice, is it your money?

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DCmonster: 6:36pm On Nov 06, 2019
ikorodureporta:
Is this the type of rice they eat in their houses?
Thunder fyre whoeva dey punish Nigerians for selfish reasons
Amen!

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DarkJeddi(m): 6:45pm On Nov 06, 2019
DCmonster:
You sound more like an illiterate! It's either you are one or badly educated. This is a democratic country, so you have no moral right to tell the civil populace what to eat and what not to eat. We are not in a communist country! The money people spend to purchase the foreign rice, is it your money?
Am an Illiterate? grin

You sound like a F00l,

Is anybody stopping you from buying foreign rice in the market or is it not still in the market?

Have you seen any Government Agency arresting people that are selling foreign rice in the market?

If you have money go and buy foreign rice and stop bleating like a castrated Ram..
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by grandstar(m): 6:51pm On Nov 06, 2019
DarkJeddi:
The Naira is undervalued and the reason it is so is because of our penchant for foreign goods..

We export crude oil,

Which if you are current,has been loosing its market value for the past 5 years..

When you are not earning enough money from your exports and you insist on importing EVERYTHING from outside,

Instead of trying to conserve your meager resources by focusing on local production of goods you can produce at home,

You are courting economic disaster,

Banning rice importation conserves resources while encouraging local incentives to produce rice..

This same scenario happened with cement importation,

Cement importation was banned and local production encouraged,

Today..

Nigeria is self sufficient in cement and also exports cement..

It is better for the Naira to be undervalued than be too strong. A weaker currency reduces the demand for imports.

First and foremost, stating we import everything isn't true but the country can do much better.

What policies has the government put in place to bring in more forex? None. Nigeria by now should have foreign reserves of $80bn at the very least.

The smart money is on generating forex and not on conserving forex by buying made in Nigerian goods. Developed countries are massive importers of goods themselves. The only difference is that they are also massive exporters. That is where Nigeria falls short.

Trust me, there's nothing wrong in importing rice since we lack comparative advantage in its production. For us to produce rice, that simply means it will be dearer than the imported ones. This makes no sense.

Rather, government should put resources into commodities that Nigeria has comparative advantage in. Sheabutter if fully harnessed can bring in as much as $2bn yearly as reckoned by experts. Snails exports can yield up to a $1bn. Nigeria can become a big exporters of thousands of tons of honey. The forex generated from shea butter alone can take care of rice imports. Thailand exports $1.8bn worth of farmed shrimps yearly.

Since the country lacks comparative advantage in rice production, smuggling will continue to persist. The smugglers will simply device new ways to ship it in. If the price of rice remains dear, there could be fury on the streets.

As for cement, Nigerians were net losers. Cement in Nigeria is one of the most expensive in the world. There was a year that Dangote made sales of N248B and had after tax profits of 124.2Bn. That means if he slashed the price of cement by half, he would still make a net profit. Nigerians were shortchanged. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that that more construction will be carried out if price of cement crashed today. For every job that Dangote creates directly, probably as much as ten is lost in the construction industry. Many constructions projects were abandoned when the ban of cement was introduced. A Nairalander here said as much. He was angry and outraged.

If the only way a country can produce something is to ban it first, then such a country need helps.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DCmonster: 6:53pm On Nov 06, 2019
DarkJeddi:
Am an Illiterate? grin

You sound like a F00l,

Is anybody stopping you from buying foreign rice in the market or is it not still in the market?

Have you seen any Government Agency arresting people that are selling foreign rice in the market?

If you have money go and buy foreign rice and stop bleating like a castrated Ram..
You sound bitter and frustrated! If you are tired of living just do yourself something good for once in your life by killing yourself. I am not responsible for your woe in life you retarded moronic dingbat.

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by grandstar(m): 6:55pm On Nov 06, 2019
nonye6194:

You have a point here. But lemme add this:

The lack of money isn't a problem for the consumers alone, it goes down to the local producers too. They are trying to compete with big rice milling outfits in terms of quality and price. You won't run your shop at a loss to keep up with competition

Cheap quality rice is what Nigerians crave for. I believe quality isn't a problem. The elephant in the room is the "cheap". Since the country lacks comparative advantage in it, it will be sold at a premium compared to the price obtainable outside.

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by Just30: 7:02pm On Nov 06, 2019
ajl:

As usual the government is failing to play one of its major function, regulating and overseeing that products with minimum level of standard enter the market. Corruption won't let them. I heard a Ghanaian minister say on online tv show that only Nigerian market will accept Ghana's sub-standard mango juice, which they dare not attempt to export to Asia or Europe.
which minister did you hear that from

Do you even know where blue skies drinks are exported to?

the substandard products in West Africa mostly comes from Nigeria
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DarkJeddi(m): 7:02pm On Nov 06, 2019
DCmonster:
You sound bitter and frustrated! If you are tired of living just do yourself something good for once in your life by killing yourself. I am not responsible for your woe in life you retarded moronic dingbat.
Mr Foreign Rice Chopper..

Worry about where your next cup of precious foreign rice is going to come from..

My life and its woes are non of your business. grin

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by Okoroawusa: 7:03pm On Nov 06, 2019
DCmonster:
Just look at that senseless hypocrite named @tenderbiggie with tender brain, he doesn't even live in Nigeria but want Nigerians to eat that shitty local rice without option of choosing between local and foreign. That shows how hypocritical nigerian's can be. I love fisayo's response to him btw. Anyone who doesn't eat rice nor resides in Nigeria that support's ban on foreign rice so that the poor can continue to eat a very bad but expensive staple food will never see good in their lives.
Because he stays abroad he is not supposed to eat Nigerian rice over there but he can eat Amala, egusi n garri abroad abi?

Soyombo or whatever should not spoil the small good name he garnered from that prison stunt he made...am just begging him.

BTW...I thought he said that he is in hiding?...how him take see road go buy rice?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Picture Story Of Bush Meat Prepared By Me. / See Variety Of Nigerian Soups. (pictures) / What Meals Do I Need To Avoid To Stop Growing Fat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.