Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest (21263 Views)

Lagos Records One More COVID-19 Death / Lagos Records Another Coronavirus Death. Total Of 14 COVID-19 Deaths In Lagos / Top 20 Countries With Highest Birth Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Islie: 8:39pm On Nov 06, 2019
Eniola Akinkuotu, Abuja

Nigeria’s economic capital, Lagos State, has the lowest number of births at 3.4 children per woman.

Conversely, Katsina State in the North-West has the highest birth rate at 7.3 births per woman.

The information is contained in the 2018 Nigerian Demographic and Health Survey key findings launched on Tuesday.

The report states that the birth rate in urban areas is much lower than that of rural areas.

According to the survey, the total birth rate in Nigeria is 5.3 children per woman.

The second lowest birth rate in Nigeria is Akwa Ibom which is 3.6 births per woman followed by Cross River which is 3.7 births per woman.

Other states with high birth rates include Bauchi and Jigawa which have a birth rate of 7.2 and 7.1 respectively.

The troubled North-East states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe also have high birth rates at 6.1, 5.2 and 5.9 children per woman.

The report states in part, “Currently, women in Nigeria have an average of 5.3 children. Since 1990, fertility has decreased from 6.0 children per woman to the current level.

“Fertility varies by residence and state. Women in rural areas have an average of 5.9 children compared to 4.5 children among urban women. By state, fertility ranges from 3.4 children per woman in Lagos to 7.3 children per woman in Katsina.

“Fertility also varies with education and household wealth. Women with no education have twice as many children as women with more than secondary education. Fertility decreases as the wealth of the respondent’s household increases.”

The report adds that women living in the poorest households have an average of 6.7 children, compared to 3.8 children among women living in the wealthiest households.

The survey further shows that Lagos has the lowest rate of teenage pregnancy at just one per cent while Bauchi has the highest at 41 per cent.

It states that 44 per cent of teenage girls with no education have begun childbearing compared to one per cent of teenage girls with more than secondary education.

The NDHS report was conducted by the National Population Commission in conjunction with the Federal Ministry of Health.

Other partners involved in the survey which was launched in Abuja on Tuesday include- the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, World Health Organisation, United States Agency for International Development, Global Fund and UNFPA.

https://punchng.com/lagos-records-lowest-birth-rate-katsina-is-highest/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by tayebest(m): 8:40pm On Nov 06, 2019
shocked

Those malo guys no dey use condom to fxxk. They impregnate there wife at the slightest opportunity. sad

The painful part is that, they'll eventually flood the street with almajiri angry

141 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by oz4real83(m): 8:43pm On Nov 06, 2019
High birth rate is one of the characteristics of a country with a high unemployment rate. Provide more jobs and you will see how fast birth rate drops. A person that left home very early for work and came home late won't even bother much about sex. The things on that person's mind will be to bath, eat, sleep and prepare the body for the next day's work. Unemployed and under-employed people contribute up to 85% of total new births.

138 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Racoon(m): 8:45pm On Nov 06, 2019
Kastina highest birthrate yet they don't contribute anything meaningful to national development except a ready made bands of foot soldiers for almajirism, BH, armed bandits, fanatics etc.

110 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by duduade: 8:46pm On Nov 06, 2019
Northerners, poverty and high birth rates are like ants and sugar.. They must go together..

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Salvador1: 8:49pm On Nov 06, 2019
Giving birth to more children that will end up becoming bokoharam, herdsmen and suicide bombers.

Thunder fire lugard in his grave.

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Upworkwriter007(f): 8:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
This might come out offensive, but Hausa language might be Nigeria's second language in the next 50yrs....The way this guys give birth is alarming....

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by babdap: 8:54pm On Nov 06, 2019
Complications during childbirth as a result of pregnancy at a very tender age
Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by grandstar(m): 8:58pm On Nov 06, 2019
oz4real83:
High birth rate is one of the characteristics of a country with a high unemployment rate. Provide more jobs and you will see how fast birth rate drops. A person that left home very early for work and came home late won't even bother much about sex. The things on that person's mind will be to bath, eat, sleep and prepare the body for the next day's work. Unemployed and under-employed people contribute up to 85% of total new births.

Unemployment or employment isn5 the reason for the high fertility. As the report shows, education plays probably the biggest role, the better people are educated, the less likely they are to have children and vice versa.

Nowadays, most graduates rarely go beyond 3. Many even stop at 2. I.know many who have stopped at one. A few don't even have children.

92 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by mekaboy(m): 9:01pm On Nov 06, 2019
Stress in Lagos will negatively affect libido , sperm count and female egg production.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by NigeriaIsDoomed: 9:06pm On Nov 06, 2019
mekaboy:
Stress in Lagos will negatively affect libido , sperm count and female egg production.
Read u no go read. Wey dem memtion stress as a factor?
Those parasites in dey North na only to born full everywhere dem sabi.
Lord Lugard no go ever see peace for grave for merging us with those lazy unproductive assholes in the North.

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by johnmartus(m): 9:06pm On Nov 06, 2019
See blame here.
oz4real83:
Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 06, 2019
grandstar:

Unemployment or employment isn5 the reason for the high fertility. As the report shows, education plays probably the biggest role, the better people are educated, the less likely they are to have children and vice versa.

Nowadays, most graduates rarely go beyond 3. Many even stop at 2. I.know many who have stopped at one. A few don't even have children.

Your analysis is right.
I told my friend that we have too many out of school and helpless children and that I may either decide to adopt and have only one from my future woman or not have any at all but his reaction shocked me.

Why do some Nigerians see adoption as wrong?

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 06, 2019
Nice one.

Go into the world and multiply.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by grandstar(m): 9:49pm On Nov 06, 2019
kingkakaone:

Your analysis is right.
I told my friend that we have too many out of school and helpless children and that I may either decide to adopt and have only one from my future woman or not have any at all but his reaction shocked me.

Why do some Nigerians see adoption as wrong?

No mind dem jo

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by RockHard: 10:04pm On Nov 06, 2019
Lagos is home to the the most educated and wealthiest set of Nigerians. Studies have shown that the more educated and well-off people are, the less children they tend to have.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 06, 2019
Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Epique: 10:05pm On Nov 06, 2019
Education and exposure play key roles in population management.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by TheFacelessMan: 10:05pm On Nov 06, 2019
angry

Katsina men need their nuts cracked

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by ednut1(m): 10:06pm On Nov 06, 2019
This is a lie abeg

1 Like

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by happney65: 10:06pm On Nov 06, 2019
I wonder how people fuccck in Lagos sef..The stress in that city is killing..I hail lagosians o.. grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Mrshape: 10:06pm On Nov 06, 2019
Why put decimal point? I taught children is discontinuous graph,
3 children per woman or 7 children per woman.
Or 6 to 7 children per woman....
How do we interpret 3.2children, or is it Kong Solomon that did the analysis?

14 Likes

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by jumper524(m): 10:07pm On Nov 06, 2019
GOD all i need from you is just 1 good and responsible son who must like football

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Nobody: 10:07pm On Nov 06, 2019
NigeriaIsDoomed:
Read u no go read. Wey dem memtion stress as a factor?
He was only being sarcastic

1 Like

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by YorubaPrince: 10:07pm On Nov 06, 2019
grin
Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 06, 2019
Hello, for best phone deals.. check my signature and join the whatsapp group.. i link buyers and sellers together at a very cheap price.. mostly Iphones and Samsung. Used or New.. No faults. Just check my signature and join the whatsapp group

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by madridsta007(m): 10:08pm On Nov 06, 2019
tayebest:
shocked

Those malo guys no dey use condom to fxxk. They impregnate there wife at the slightest opportunity. sad

The painful part is that, they'll eventually flood the street with almajiri angry

Buhari is here to change things wink grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by frankfrancis871: 10:08pm On Nov 06, 2019
sad

With the level at which dullards are being born, our planet might cease to exist soon.
The UN should look into this matter, katsina has given us enough problem already!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by joyfullyjoyous(f): 10:08pm On Nov 06, 2019
Meaning lagosians are more civilized.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Youngzedd(m): 10:08pm On Nov 06, 2019
Abomination!

Economy going down south, the population keep increasing.

There should be a policy that gets people to pay for their irresponsible act. You must earn a reasonable income before you have a child, if you go against the policy, the government will take over the child while the parents get jail term.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by mistyebby(f): 10:08pm On Nov 06, 2019
Its a political tool for the Northerners. The more they birth the more they retain power.

19 Likes

Re: Lagos Records Lowest Birth Rate, Katsina Is Highest by Kingspin(m): 10:09pm On Nov 06, 2019
Katsina birthrate and other Northern states are nothing but poverty, and terrorism to Nigerian nation

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Never Always Completely Rely On Google. / Help! I Sweat A Lot And Uncontrollably. / 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.