Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider (13309 Views)

How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider / GBFoods Africa Job Recruitment In Nigeria (6 Positions) / No Good Job? –try These Top 7 Nigerian ICT Jobs With High Employment Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:41am On Nov 08, 2019
You might have heard it before, but I want to repeat it again. To get a good job in Nigeria is harder than winning an Olympic gold medal in swimming against Michael Pheals as an amateur.

According to recent statistics, 80% of young graduates in Nigeria earn below 100,000 Naira, and that isn’t a good one – considering recent economic situations. While we debate about those who earn below 100k per month, we still have a unique set of people who don’t even have any source of monthly income.

What are those factors that might be against them – which they don’t have an idea about?

There are about 178.6 million people in Nigeria, and to get a good job isn’t something that just happens. To get a good job, you must know some certain factors you should use for your own good.

What are the top factors you should consider to get a good job in Nigeria?

1. Quality of your connection

I sincerely thought this wasn’t real till it happened to me. I gate-crashed a firm to submit my CV and I was stopped at the gate. All efforts begging proved abortive. A few days later, calls were made and I was back at the same company sitting with the Head of Human Resource with my CV in his office.

I wrote the same exam and interview like others, but I was the only person who got a letter of employment. Why? What happened? I just had the right connection.

The person who fixed me up was whom I saw at a wedding ceremony. A simple conversation of “what I had to offer was enough to gain me recommendation”

It isn’t okay to beg for a job; you must show them what you have to offer, and you see how they will recommend you to the right place. It is all about networking and meeting the right people. But you have to learn how to network like a professional.

IF YOU DON’T HAVE THE ABOVE FACTOR, THEN PLEASE CONSIDER THESE BELOW

2. Location

Location plays a huge factor when searching for a job. Most states in Nigeria have very low openings, which limits the job vacancies posted from such states. It is imperative you migrate from such states to states with high job opportunities. Few states like Lagos, Ogun, Abuja, Port Hacourt, Oyo, Anambra, Delta, and Kaduna state all have potentials when it comes to job vacancies.

3. Skills to Offer

It is saddening that most graduates don’t really know what they have to offer. They don’t have any area of specialty or any skill to offer. This possibly limits their chances to apply for jobs outside their background course at college.

4. Quality of your Resume/Cover letter

Since we all know that technology has taken over the way of recruitment these days, candidate’s CVs are shortlisted with the help of software. Several factors determine which CV is picked. That is why I hammer on the following things on every CV.

- Structure
- Keywords
- Format
- Accomplishments instead of descriptions

Having a good CV backed with a cover letter is one of the surest ways to gain recruiters attention. If you have a good CV, you may not need any connection to get your dream job. If you can’t write a power CV, it is imperative you meet a professional to help.

5. Social Recruiting

These days, it is not uncommon for employers to contact an applicant and invite him or her for an interview, after going through his or her profile on platforms like LinkedIn and Facebook. This process is called Social Recruiting. Social recruiting is finding qualified job candidates by searching through social media sources for people with the right skills, accomplishments, education, and personality required for an available opening.

As an applicant, you should have a strong presence on social media, particularly LinkedIn. Not only that, your profile must highlight your skills and experience in such a way that a potential employer will not be discouraged from reaching out to you. A course-mate of mine at the University of Benin got a high paying job through this process, hence, I can confidently inform you that Social Recruiting is real and is happening here in Nigeria. So, be prepared!

6. Interview Skills

Excelling in an interview is an art you need to master. It is not just a question and answers series, it’s more psychological than you’ve ever imagined. When you answer interview questions, there are certain things that interviewers look, and they include;

- Dressing
- Confidence
- Work experience
- Communication Ability
- Remuneration scale

Scoring positive in all these takes you a step closer to securing the job role – all things remaining equal. There are several articles that have shown in details how to ace an interview easily, but you have to know that practice makes perfect in interview cases.

There are no laid down rules when it comes to securing a job, but in Nigeria, these are the major factors that influence getting a job. I will be sharing more of these articles in recent days, so do well to keep in touch.

See you at the top. I wish you success.

Read more at: https://patrickokunima.com/want-to-land-a-good-job-in-nigeria-here-are-the-top-6-factors-you-must-consider/

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Jamesilvar(m): 7:12am On Nov 08, 2019
Ok
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by dalass(f): 7:13am On Nov 08, 2019
Okay, so am third to comment.

Where's the $30Billion

grin cheesy grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 08, 2019
Bring the good jobs first.
Not just Copy and paste from oyibo blogs whose countries have sorted the lives of its citizens out.

8 Likes

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by somito121(m): 7:13am On Nov 08, 2019
Nice one.
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Monogamy: 7:15am On Nov 08, 2019
While connections/Legs is missing..

Na fuel attendance position person go get for Nigeria without having any connections

1 Like

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by mamaafrik(m): 7:15am On Nov 08, 2019
90℅ na connection+ God factor,10 grade+course of study and school

1 Like

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by yanabasee(m): 7:16am On Nov 08, 2019
Imagine..... OP totally refused mentioning God..... As most extreme religious people would expect....

To me, it's only CONNECTION that can get someone a job in this country.... Whether you live for bush oh, or get better handiwork or sabi blow grammar or sabi dress Wella or the live for inside aso-villa, if you no get connection... Brozssss, you no get anything!!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Hezzyluv: 7:16am On Nov 08, 2019

Oga @ the top na the KOKO b dat
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by slimjosh231(m): 7:17am On Nov 08, 2019
All nonsense. Even if you can’t read and write, with the right connection you’ll rule this Country.

5 Likes

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by mindful01: 7:18am On Nov 08, 2019
slimjosh231:
All nonsense. Even if you can’t read and write, with the right connection you’ll rule this Country.

You're right my brother, naso Deborah (a pass graduate) take get job for NNPC

Na connection sure pass

4 Likes

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Mays24(f): 7:19am On Nov 08, 2019
Great points.

Check my signature
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by dalass(f): 7:19am On Nov 08, 2019
pickatyou:
Bring the good jobs first.
Not just Copy and paste from oyibo blogs whose countries have sorted the lives of its citizens out.
grin

1 Like

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by tunjilee003: 7:24am On Nov 08, 2019
Without connection the list is useless
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by 3rdavefarms(m): 7:24am On Nov 08, 2019
Rubbbish points
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by nauto5: 7:25am On Nov 08, 2019
If you don't know any senator way get 25 slot, you will be here commenting like me.

5 Likes

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Thegoodone13(m): 7:25am On Nov 08, 2019
Nice
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Thegoodone13(m): 7:26am On Nov 08, 2019
tunjilee003:
Without connection the list is useless
connection is his first point
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Chidex50(m): 7:26am On Nov 08, 2019
Great and wonderful writeup
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Ketamine9000mg(m): 7:27am On Nov 08, 2019
Like a thousand times we have read, understood and applied ideas like this,yet we are still unemployed.

Forget it. Simple, connection will get you a good job. If you don't have connection, settle for work like gateman, security man etc or learn hand work and work for yourself or you run out of Nigeria or choose crime(sure pay,don't just die too quickly)..

2 Likes

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Thegoodone13(m): 7:27am On Nov 08, 2019
3rdavefarms:
Rubbbish points
op made a good point. Can u add your own point?
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by Chiefochiefo(m): 7:29am On Nov 08, 2019
Jobs in Nigeria is man know man forget cv or dressing well or behaving well. Find your way to chevron or nnpc, you will dozens of staffs you are better than.

1 Like

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by subcbouy: 7:34am On Nov 08, 2019
Connection/ referral syndrome: Subsea 7 n FMC-technip co
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by mrvitalis(m): 7:36am On Nov 08, 2019
Bla bla bla same old story

If u have tried to watch interview or conduct one you would see most Nigerians are have nothing to offer really

Quality labour is scarce in Nigeria ,very very scarce ...

First invest in yourself ,run certification courses in a particular area ....the oil sector n bank are the easiest to get job ....but everyone is doing safety

Oil sector for example u have construction n production

Chose one ,construction there are over 2000 options

4 Likes

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by LucemFerre: 7:37am On Nov 08, 2019
Monogamy:
While connections/Legs is missing..

Na fuel attendance position person go get for Nigeria without having any connections

Who tell you dat one... Even to run Baban bola biznass ou must get connection for Naija

2 Likes

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by LucemFerre: 7:37am On Nov 08, 2019
Connection is the only Factor to consider... Fvck the rest

1 Like

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by namiji2598: 7:38am On Nov 08, 2019
nauto5:
If you don't know any senator way get 25 slot, you will be here commenting like me.
like us here bro, hustling for FTC

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by namiji2598: 7:39am On Nov 08, 2019
nauto5:
like us here hustling for FTC
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by 3rdavefarms(m): 7:40am On Nov 08, 2019
Thegoodone13:
op made a good point. Can u add your own point?

Why are you using two accts on here
Re: Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider by namiji2598: 7:40am On Nov 08, 2019
Ketamine9000mg:
Like a thousand times we have read, understood and applied ideas like this,yet we are still unemployed.

Forget it. Simple, connection will get you a good job. If you don't have connection, settle for work like gateman, security man etc or learn hand work and work for yourself or you run out of Nigeria or choose crime(sure pay,don't just die too quickly)..
even as the graduate, I once went for an interview as a cleaner ooooo my brother, the man asked me who send me, ahhhhhhh I shock, he replied who told u abt this job

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Of Ambode's 50,000 Ngn, Idleness And One Night Stand / 90k Job In Ogun Or 100k Job In Niger State / Bow Tie To An Interview? Please I Need Your Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.