Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,390 members, 7,808,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic (28244 Views)

Rice Millers Hail Ebonyi Governor's Ban On Rice Scaling As Price Crashes To ₦15K / Niger Crisis: Cow, Sheep Shortage Looms As Border Closure Bites Harder / Before And After Tweets Of Tinubu Supporters As The Economy Bites Hard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Countersam(m): 1:51pm On Nov 08, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by codedguy1(m): 2:04pm On Nov 08, 2019
Owutuotuo:

I agree with your expressions of hope. If the closure is sustained for some years or perpetually, it’ll be to our advantage in the long run. It’s painful now though. But we hope it’ll be well sustained.

But the govt has said they would open it by the end of January 2020.

Is the closure long enough to impact positively?

My take is that closing the border in this manner won't really help us especially in the long run as some of you guys believe. Nigerians are innovative people all that is needed is the customs to do their jobs diligently by blocking smuggling routes and putting in place policies that facilitate clearing of goods at the border timely so as to make the revenue they are expected yo make. Then give us electricity that aids production, roads that ease business especially in accessing raw materials and distribution in the case of finished goods, general good infrastructure and watch how Nigerians excel.

You see it all falls back to the effectiveness of the govt in power. All this sudden closure of borde for just 3months won't help us ON THE LONG RUN.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Okoroawusa: 2:11pm On Nov 08, 2019
Deepfreezer:

Nigeria has become a dumping ground for every nonsense. Imagine kpomo all the way from Mali. Tụfịakwa.
Can you imagine pomo from Mali to Lagos everyday?...no be small money o!

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Okoroawusa: 2:13pm On Nov 08, 2019
Countersam:

It's really not funny here in Cotonou. Business is almost totally crippled.
Yeah...I saw a report on TVC yesterday... it's not easy across West African coast now...

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Okoroawusa: 2:15pm On Nov 08, 2019
Successlane:
Have not heard any comment from PDP on this boarder closure.

Why do they react to only negative development, when it is positive they turn blind eye and deaf ears to it.

Is opposition meant to condemn only?
Wow... it's true o!.. PDP has not given a statement condemning the border closure since August. You are correct...I never even thought of e

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by BlackfireX: 2:22pm On Nov 08, 2019
FrLukas:

He doesn't know the difference between "eat" and "it".

It's sad when ignorant people are confident in their illiteracy while intelligent people become timid.

It is.... Not it's.

Thank me later
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by hidhrhis(m): 2:30pm On Nov 08, 2019
Cool83:

you too can easily invest in rice milling, and produce stone free rice for the populace, think of what you can do in order to add value to your country, stop useless ranting
whats stopping u from doing so
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 08, 2019
BlackfireX:

It is.... Not it's.

Thank me later

Lol.

Thanks for proving me right.
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by BlackfireX: 2:51pm On Nov 08, 2019
FrLukas:

Lol.

Thanks for proving me right.

Lol, not Lol.

Keep learning

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by ajl: 3:57pm On Nov 08, 2019
As bad as it is, you see that it is even non-Americans that are reaping sugnificant benefits from the smuggling, Lebanese, Indians, and Chinese.
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by maasoap(m): 5:44pm On Nov 08, 2019
nanakgh:
Another thread for 180 million people to masturbate on. Not some technological innovation, or some breakthrough in science but a mere border closure.

A situation that requires tact to fish out the main culprits and u simply make a decision that encompasses all, even the innocent. It's only in black Africa that this calls for celebration, especially if there's nothing else to celebrate. SMH.

Mr Killjoy, the sadist. We're celebrating this and if you are not happy with it, I can't be of help to you.

A worker said, “We were recalled recently because their inventory has gone down and we have continued to be busy in the last three months.”
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by sammyj: 5:44pm On Nov 08, 2019
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
BlackfireX:
One man nearly killed his chicken for wasting the left over rice he poured for chicken to eat...

Next hunger.
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by maasoap(m): 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2019
codedguy1:

My take is that closing the border in this manner won't really help us especially in the long run as some of you guys believe. Nigerians are innovative people all that is needed is the customs to do their jobs diligently by blocking smuggling routes and putting in place policies that facilitate clearing of goods at the border timely so as to make the revenue they are expected yo make. Then give us electricity that aids production, roads that ease business especially in accessing raw materials and distribution in the case of finished goods, general good infrastructure and watch how Nigerians excel.

You see it all falls back to the effectiveness of the govt in power. All this sudden closure of borde for just 3months won't help us ON THE LONG RUN.

The major reason for border closure was to address the influx of terrorists that were trooping in to join Boko Haram and ISWAP.
So, border closure is different from ban on the export and import of some selected items into the country just boost our domestic production and consumption of locally made items
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by maasoap(m): 5:51pm On Nov 08, 2019
[s]
codedguy1:
I hope when the border is eventually opened it would not be business as usual. Rice that is now 28k will not come down or probably come down to 16k which was what it was before the closure and all we would have achieved was to just punish ourselves.

As the borders have been closed what has been the measures taken to help sustain ourselves as a nation?

Useless govt, always doing the right things the wrong way and then complicating the already dire situation for ordinary citizens because of lack of clear cut assessment of the situation by incompetent people who lack capacity to think through a situation or scenario thoroughly.

Hope the only thing we will gain in all this is not the self bloated ego that when we closed our borders neighbouring countries were adversely affected.
[/s]

I read through your submission, it was just rants and nothing more to it. You're of no help here
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Legendguru: 6:44pm On Nov 08, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by codedguy1(m): 7:02pm On Nov 08, 2019
maasoap:
[s]

I read through your submission, it was just rants and nothing more to it. You're of no help here

If you have nothing to say kindly ignore or shut up.
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by codedguy1(m): 7:12pm On Nov 08, 2019
maasoap:

The major reason for border closure was to address the influx of terrorists that were trooping in to join Boko Haram and ISWAP.
So, border closure is different from ban on the export and import of some selected items into the country just boost our domestic production and consumption of locally made items

Like I said if you have nothing to say kindly shut up.
Did they also close all the porous entrances. As if terrorist only enter from our official borders.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Sirwallace(m): 11:16pm On Nov 08, 2019
edoairways:

So we import kpomo too?

Even stock fish. That dry thing.
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Deepfreezer(m): 11:22pm On Nov 08, 2019
Okoroawusa:

Can you imagine pomo from Mali to Lagos everyday?...no be small money o!
asin ehhh

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by maasoap(m): 9:37am On Nov 09, 2019
codedguy1:

Like I said if you have nothing to say kindly shut up.

You didn't contribute anything, just rants. That's all

Did they also close all the porous entrances. As if terrorist only enter from our official borders.

Those who have functional brains are testifying that activities of terrorists and herdsmen clashes with farmers have gone down drastically. When was the last time you read about such incidences? Use your brain kid, be positive for once in your life
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by codedguy1(m): 11:43am On Nov 09, 2019
maasoap:

You didn't contribute anything, just rants. That's all

Those who have functional brains are testifying that activities of terrorists and herdsmen clashes with farmers have gone down drastically. When was the last time you read about such incidences? Use your brain kid, be positive for once in your life

So when they open them by January we should expect resumption of rice smuggling and clashes would resume. No?

What reforms has the customs gone through within this closed period to indicate that they are more equipped or trained to manage what they couldn't manage before.

If you didn't have a worn out rettardded brain you would have understood that the problem is with policing and managing our borders and smuggling routes by the customs and not outright closure of the borders. No import/export.

Its hard to be positive when you are doing the right thing the wrong way.
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Countersam(m): 2:12pm On Nov 09, 2019
maasoap:

You are totally out of line, there is movement of human beings without contraband goods so long you have your passport although other illegal entry is still thriving. So how does this block influx of people intending to join Boko? The border is open from 6am to 6pm and people are moving in and out of Nigeria unimpeded.check your facts....
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Countersam(m): 2:18pm On Nov 09, 2019
codedguy1:

So when they open them by January we should expect resumption of rice smuggling and clashes would resume. No?

What reforms has the customs gone through within this closed period to indicate that they are more equipped or trained to manage what they couldn't manage before.

If you didn't have a worn out rettardded brain you would have understood that the problem is with policing and managing our borders and smuggling routes by the customs and not outright closure of the borders. No import/export.

Its hard to be positive when you are doing the right thing the wrong way.

No reforms at all my brother, as I speak to you the Customs officials and Police are still collecting bribes to allow small quantities of contraband move. Smugglers have deviced new means of smuggling, doing so in smaller quantities under pretence of being for personal use and so on, if you juba Wella you go pass but at the end the expenses isn't worth it. All am saying is Customs remains our problem,they should step up their game and carry out serious reforms towards enhancing border policing.
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Countersam(m): 2:25pm On Nov 09, 2019
Successlane:

Then let them stay back and earn their living in Nigeria.

Nigeria is more endowed, They should be struggling to come to Nigeria, not the other way round.

More endowed in what sense pls? We can't even compare the electricity supply and good road network in Benin Republic to Nigerias'.... How will business thrive? Pls this topic is not a sentimental one, we are talking about survival. Nigerians keep relocating out of the country in droves given the slightest opportunity,is that normal? Our government has failed us....
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by maasoap(m): 2:28pm On Nov 09, 2019
Countersam:

You are totally out of line, there is movement of human beings without contraband goods so long you have your passport although other illegal entry is still thriving. So how does this block influx of people intending to join Boko? The border is open from 6am to 6pm and people are moving in and out of Nigeria unimpeded.check your facts....

My fact is that Boko Haram and ISWAP activities are not in the news frequently again. My fact is that herdsmen versus farmers frequent fights are not in the media frequently again as against the pre border closure era
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Countersam(m): 2:31pm On Nov 09, 2019
sulaak:

But, being self-sufficient rice production reduces the impact on our FX reserves. A country that can feed itself can develop itself.

The next focus should be banning fuel imports and getting the refineries to work after 5 years of Buhari holding the ministry of petroleum porfolio there should be no excuse why Nigeria refineries are still working at 10 % capacity.

I beg to defer please, the first focus should have been this your suggestion.
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Countersam(m): 2:47pm On Nov 09, 2019
maasoap:

My fact is that Boko Haram and ISWAP activities are not in the news frequently again. My fact is that herdsmen versus farmers frequent fights are not in the media frequently again as against the pre border closure era

You may be right but this isn't applicable to Nigeria's borders on the West but in the North and North East. Prove me wrong please.
#idontknowitall
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Owutuotuo(m): 8:41pm On Nov 10, 2019
codedguy1:

You have spoken well Oga. Plenty sense.
Re: Border Closure Bites Hard On Rice, Textile Shops In Benin Republic by Maskyy(m): 9:06am On Nov 20, 2019
iberrylee:
More money and sales for those who broad chicken to sell for Christmas as imported chicken and Turkey can not cross the border for now grin
Dancing to the bank

Pls which area do you think one can make better profit on sale of chicken

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Celebrates His Wife, Toyin On Her 55th Birthday / Jigawa: Governor, Deputy, Emir Shun Osinbajo’s Visit / Ade Bendel Wanted By EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.