Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? (11618 Views)

Home For Recruiters And Job Seekers / Employmentgroup Chat. (job Seekers, Recruiters, Employer Of Labour) / Not All Roles Are Advertised: The Importance Of Speculative Applications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by Noblejay7: 12:16pm On Nov 08, 2019
I recently recommend a friend for a job in an insurance company as a sales advisor and the young man turned down the offer even though he is currently not working.

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by djoe21(m): 12:39pm On Nov 08, 2019
...because it is a long walk to freedom � undecided

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by samwash(m): 9:45pm On Nov 08, 2019
Because Nigerian's hardly buy insurance,even the third party insurance na war.
Insurance don't sell in Nigeria environment.
Don't just go to life assurance.
Them go ask you '' you want make I die?''

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by yomalex(m): 6:48am On Nov 09, 2019
Cultural aversion

iSell bulk sms that delivers to DND numbers, I have 2019 phone database on promo sales too

1 Like

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by Wealthyone: 6:49am On Nov 09, 2019
Insurance isn't really easy to sell and the marketers are poorly paid...worse than DSA sef.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by olayemioshiyemi: 6:50am On Nov 09, 2019
Because its perceived to be a situation of from frying pan to fire .

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 09, 2019
Do you want him to die before his time? Trekking up and down Lagos sun with no pay but commission upon sale. Insurance dont sell and its hard to convince people. Hard luck job

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by Guyman02: 6:53am On Nov 09, 2019
Taking insurance remains unpopular in Nigeria. Nigerians believe that it's not their portion for anything to go wrong. Convincing them to keep aside their money in case anything goes wrong can be hard.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by ecolime(m): 6:53am On Nov 09, 2019
It's not easy to sell insurance products. Our culture doesn't support insurance. Most people believe it's just a waste of resources.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 09, 2019
That's one of the shittiest jobs around, some don't even pay you till you sell to some people. I think being an okada ride is waaaaaaaay better

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by Ameboperoo(m): 6:53am On Nov 09, 2019
It's easier for bankers to convince people to deposit money self.
Even when they use flashy ladies, Nigerians will still not do. We have no insurance culture

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by NonFarmPayrol: 6:54am On Nov 09, 2019
Its just a rebranded name for slavery

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by Angelfrost(m): 6:55am On Nov 09, 2019
How many of the over 70 million working Nigerians believe in insurance??!...

Insurance here is perceived as something meant solely for "people wey chop belleful"!!!

If crime rates were manageable, Nigerian banks would have been closing shop at frightening speeds. grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by partnerbizn5(m): 6:57am On Nov 09, 2019
Sales and marketing is not easy, especially selling something like insurance in a country like Nigeria.

Imagine selling health insurance, it would look like you wish them bad health and death.

They forget that by the law of averages, these things must happen. People must get sick, cars must have accidents etc.

Nigeria isn't literate or open enough for things like this.

Again, it's leads to exploitation for the females in their bid to meet target. It can give high BP if don't meet targets, which in turn affects your pay.

The good aspect is that it can opens doors for you if properly packaged.
With it, you can gain audience with VIPs.
It increases your confidence also.

ASIDE:
You can also meet your sugar or apple in the process.
You can fall pregnant too lol

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by coolcharm(m): 7:00am On Nov 09, 2019
You don't sell insurance to people trying to survive.

Survival first.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:00am On Nov 09, 2019
The problem is how many people is buying insurance in Nigeria they only payed by commission especially Alico insurance.
Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by naijadrivablog: 7:01am On Nov 09, 2019
I pity salespeople that try to sell Life Insurance.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by kobosmart(m): 7:09am On Nov 09, 2019
Noblejay7:
I recently recommend a friend for a job in an insurance company as a sales advisor and the young man turned down the offer even though he is currently not working.
sad why your papa no dey do insurance sales?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by kobosmart(m): 7:11am On Nov 09, 2019
naijadrivablog:
I pity salespeople that try to sell Life Insurance.
grin i just dey pray make i get company one day make one sisi juss make mistake come sell me insurance, wo i go scatter all the holes for e body
Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by ehinmowo: 7:11am On Nov 09, 2019
I will ALWAYS advise people to rather remain jobless than to take insurance job in Nigeria. As fraudulent as GNLD is, it's more profitable than insurance jobs (I have experienced both).

Firstly, insurance has had bad stories in the past. Many people have been scammed (though the regulation is a lot better now).

Secondly, many people that embraced insurance (both now and then) were not told the entire truth. Hence they ended up losing their money and the claim they supposed to get (if you default in your premium beyond the agreed grace period, forget any claim).

Thirdly, People have limited knowledge about insurance. They don't know that you can "save" your money with insurance companies the same way you can save in commercial banks, with some added benefits (firstly, you are covered, insurance wise during the period your money is there, and insurance has the HIGHEST return on investment in Nigeria, you could get as high as 17-30% return. unlike commercial banks that will be stealing your money).

Apart from the above factors, insurance companies are looking for cheap labour. There is no marketing team or vehicle for mobility or marketing. You will walk the streets till you literally see your soul departing your body. Tell me, who will invest his millions or even thousands with someone with bent shoes and sweat? If insurance works as the marketers (sometimes they use fancy names like risk advisor. lol. to attract "JJCs"wink claim, why are they working under one of the most heinous conditions?

Like I said, it better to be separating weevils from Beans every morning than to work for insurance companies.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by Nobody: 7:12am On Nov 09, 2019
Did you just say Insurance?
How many Nigerians dey do insurance?
Let's even assume they agree to do insurance sales. Do the insurance sales reps themselves have any insurance policy covering them? If anything happens to them during the course of duty, will the so called insurance company take full responsibility of damages done to their reps? That's why you see them recruiting sales people every month in their multitude. And those ones work for a max of 5months and then disappear when their ankles don dey touch ground.

Besides, how can you give what you don't have?
You wey no get any insurance policy wan sell insurance policy give another person. God help you if the potential client is a woman, her first question would be... 'So which insurance policy did you yourself subscribe to'? You go just open mouth dey smile like ode. With your sweaty shirt after sun don hammer you beta beating.

I no fit talk again abeg grin

15 Likes

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by hischoice(m): 7:17am On Nov 09, 2019
Nigerians will never die until they die.
Their houses will never get burgled until they get burgled.
They will never have accident until they have accident.

Insurance products have not been redesigned to appeal to the Nigerian sense of trust in "the insurance of Jesus' blood"

Nigerians don't make plans towards eventualities like accidents, let alone death.

The blood of Jesus is their insurance.

It thus behoves on Nigerian Insurance companies to put forward the idea of insurance as an investment alternative and not as a cushion in the event of eventualities.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by philip0906(m): 7:18am On Nov 09, 2019
From the stories I've heard, only slavery is worse than selling insurance to Nigerians, unrealistic targets and sometimes no pay (only commission)

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by tegafej(m): 7:23am On Nov 09, 2019
Everyone has said it.

Insurance is not in our culture.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by Coolcash1: 7:23am On Nov 09, 2019
The general attitude of Nigerians toward insurance and poor state of the economy makes the job a difficult one to do.

It’s better to be frying puff puff and bons by the road side than working as an insurance marketer.... grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:25am On Nov 09, 2019
Noblejay7:

He doesn't want the nose of his shoes to be smiling in the streets of Lagos so soon. Maybe he will be convinced if you tell him you have insured your life and properties

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by LaJoe2: 7:27am On Nov 09, 2019

Will gladly answer this one because I'm an ex-insurance marketer, forget the fancy words they use, such as Retail Sales Executive, its just common marketing

1. They are poorly paid even by the best insurance companies

2. The bonus terms are so unreasonable compared to the effort you will put in, you get very little for so much effort and even at that, you will almost beg them to pay you when due, they will give you all manner of management excuses, meanwhile, their permanent staffs are on basic salary which is timely paid, you, on the other hand live on bonuses and commissions which is uncertain and untimely paid, almost like it depends on if scrap is left after the main staffs gets paid, although your the team bringing in the money, you dig! - monkey � they work, Baboon they chop kinda business.

3. Don't be deceived, its a profitable business, their packages are designed to favor them first. They make it look attractive, but when you really sit to analyze the benefits, you will realize that you pay more than you get. You pay average for low risk perils and pay very high amounts for high risk perils.

4. When its time for them to pay off claims, if your total premiums paid is less than the cost of your claim, guy, it won't be an easy claim.

5. Its not an honest business especially over here, what they tell you to get you to pay is only a bit of what is written in the T&C on your insurance certificate. You will discover clauses that favor them and protect them from huge claims such as if your not regular with due payments, you forfeit the balance of payments already made, this is for their so called Savings investment schemes. Thats why they are always hesitant in giving a sample certificate, ask them to give you a sample of the certificate you will get when you subscribe, they may tell you its against their policy, rubbish lie!

6. They lack integrity, sometimes they encourage you to lie or withhold vital information just because they want to catch a big fish (customer ready to pay big box). For me personally, it pinches on my integrity.

In conclusion, Insurance in Nigeria is glorified daylight robbery. You willingly let yourself get robbed, by subscribing to so called juicy benefits. They open one side to see the benefits, but cover up all the demerits, which you get to see when your already neck deep after payment and tied by the contract you've already signed.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by nkemjacob2(m): 7:28am On Nov 09, 2019
Wit d economy situation in nigeria, most people re nt ready 2 invest in insurance.
Re: Why Do Job Seekers Avoid Insurance Sale Roles? by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:28am On Nov 09, 2019
From childhood to adulthood everybody wants to be a doctor, engineer, lawyer, pharmacist, accountant, pilot and not an insurance marketer. Even children nowadays want to become a politician or footballer. But condition na him dey make crayfish bend that is why Nigerians read any course available and take any job

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 / Computer Repairs Or Panel Beating And Auto Body Works / Is Studying Medical Biochemistry A Waste Of Time In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.