Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again (26148 Views)

Electricity Grid Collapses Again / Nigeria's National Grid Collapses Again As Power Generation Drops To 42.7MW / Blackout Looms As National Grid Collapses Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by ibietela2(m): 2:10pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

The problem with power is that we need at least $100billion to fully replace and upgrade the grid., and even more hundreds of billions to improve generation as well. Especially since the grid is in a mess. And cannot even carry the power safely.

That's why power was privatised in 2014, so as to bring in funding for the sector. The problem is, most Nigerians don't pay for the little power they use. Then the law setting up the privatisation does not allow DISCOS to set the price...driving away foreign investors (and if the govewrnment revokes the law,and prices go up, people will shout opression), the banks don;t want to lend because they know they won't see their cash, and so on.

So far, all we have is the government plan to improve generation to 11000mw...which isn't enough anyway. And to be frank, we need power at 40000 MW before we even start seeing improvements. Lagos needs 10000mw for 24 hour light.

Yes, government has failed...but, without defending APC , PDP too has no answer to the power problem. Nor do any of the parties. Even if your Atiku took over, the sector is still going to face the issues I have enumerated.

It is either Nigerians are ready to face the truth and pay for improved power...government and people, or we forget about it, and keep on using generators.

And yes, before you shout...that is how some of us used to bash PDP until 2013...when this privatisation thing came up, and some of us had to do some reading and face the harsh truth and realise the problem is beyond PDP and APC. Nigeria needs a lot of money, possibly beyond what we have to fix power. Time we faced the truth.

$100B? Well according to this government former petroleum minister stole £90B so they should just hang her until she vomit all

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by ibietela2(m): 2:12pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

And that's a big part of why DISCOS and GENCOS cannot raise funds for power in Nigeria.

Nigerians don't want to pay for power. They want it for free. Hence the bribery and corruption

Why are the FG still holding to power generation?
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:13pm On Nov 09, 2019
DeOTR:

Don't expect Nigerians to pay for services they never enjoyed.
The DISCOS have to invest first, then we can go from there. But expecting consumers to pay through their noses for darkness, just for the hope of enjoying constant supply of electricity (which may never happen. I think many homes are paying more than they should already, with this estimated billing shiit), it won't happen. Come to think of it, DISCOS are owned by private owners like you and I. Are they charity organizations or why are you expecting poors Nigerians to fund private businesses?
I'm aware almost all neighborhoods buy and maintain their transformers. Are they not charitable enough?
Good points. Don't mind the govt apologist
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Princedapace(m): 2:15pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

I believe they should...however, that just adds about a few thousand megawatts to the grid. Not enough for light 24/7

we can start some where.. before Nigerians can afford to pay heavily for light, their income need to improve. We blame Nigerian masses a lot. Nigerians will gladly pay for these things but the govt must improve the income of the people. Have u checked out the pay check of ex governors, ministers, presidents, etc?

Also, the country needs to be restructured to enable states to become more productive and earn money from other sectors more. The power sector needs total restructuring as well. The current system only breeds laziness.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by ibietela2(m): 2:17pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

What if I told you that the problem is that the cash needed is beyond what we can raise from taxes, oil revenues, etc.

At the moment, our reserves is at 40billion dollars. We need far more than that to upgrade, and extend the grid. Someone even said we need $900billion over 15 years before we get power stable.

That's why power was privatised.

Take GSM. GSM was private from the word go. And bills were intially sky high. The GSM companies took the money we paid them....and used it to build our telephone and internet netowrk. If government was paying for the thing....by now we would still be struggling with VSAT...and seriously limited phone network (and we won't have home internet...we would still be using cafes..and slow speed).

Problem with power privatisaiton is that people can use power without paying for it. People and government agencies don't pay their bills, and people bribe and connive with DISCO officials to steal power. And at the end of the day, we are all worse off for it.

It's not up to that if each state is generating their own power
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:20pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

Then we will continue to have less than 6 hours a day, because that is what we are paying for.

Plus all the billions we spend? I doubt we have spent up to 20-30bn since 1999. We need ten times that.
Ten times 30bn is 300bn. This guy sounds like a masochist
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:24pm On Nov 09, 2019
GENERATOGERIA:
2,500 MW is current national demand. There is still some 2,500MW excess capacity Ghana can offload to Nigeria, if you want grin what are big brothers for grin

If we use dis as a template. Ghana of 30m needs 2500MW. Then Nigeria of 200m should need just about 20000MW except something is not adding up. But i know how our people usually want to make our problems look insurmountable so as keep benefiting from it. One toad here has been claiming $2.21bn for 1000MW which I know is a lie.

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by RichardKajola(m): 2:24pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

The problem with power is that we need at least $100billion to fully replace and upgrade the grid., and even more hundreds of billions to improve generation as well. Especially since the grid is in a mess. And cannot even carry the power safely.

That's why power was privatised in 2014, so as to bring in funding for the sector. The problem is, most Nigerians don't pay for the little power they use. Then the law setting up the privatisation does not allow DISCOS to set the price...driving away foreign investors (and if the govewrnment revokes the law,and prices go up, people will shout opression), the banks don;t want to lend because they know they won't see their cash, and so on.

So far, all we have is the government plan to improve generation to 11000mw...which isn't enough anyway. And to be frank, we need power at 40000 MW before we even start seeing improvements. Lagos needs 10000mw for 24 hour light.

Yes, government has failed...but, without defending APC , PDP too has no answer to the power problem. Nor do any of the parties. Even if your Atiku took over, the sector is still going to face the issues I have enumerated.

It is either Nigerians are ready to face the truth and pay for improved power...government and people, or we forget about it, and keep on using generators.

And yes, before you shout...that is how some of us used to bash PDP until 2013...when this privatisation thing came up, and some of us had to do some reading and face the harsh truth and realise the problem is beyond PDP and APC. Nigeria needs a lot of money, possibly beyond what we have to fix power. Time we faced the truth.
You seem quite knowledgeable about Nigeria's power issue. But I think on eof Nigeria's main fear is that the government cannot be trusted. Remember that obasanjo took billions to be used to improve power and yet it ended up in his pocket. The thing is even if the price would be increased it should be increased gradually and the discos should focus more on those who are not even paying at all because alot of Nigerians are into energy theft.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:26pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

It still has to be paid for. And most of your states cannot afford it....so it would be ordinary people who would pay the bills out of their pockets....which are going to be high.

In other words,,,we are back to the issue of paying for power. Because, not only does it cost $2.2BILLION to generate 1000mw of power (and I believe each state would need about 10000MW or more).....the money issue is still there. (That means each state needs a budget of 20billion dollars to generate power to the max. We haven't mentioned building the state power grids too).

(Nigeria is not a rich country, and corruption makes the matter worse).
Here you go again with ur armchair analysis 36*10000 is 360,000MW. Are you sure you're okay?
Whoever put you up to dis didn't train you well at all.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:28pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

I beleive all the GSM companies took loans from foreign banks....

Plus, I don;t blame Nigerian banks. Nigeria is a poor country. Most people are poor. In such a situaiton, lending is going to be a high risk activity.
Then let the discos too go get loans from foreign banks
Nigeria is not a poor country. Only its citizens are poor. A country who's president has a fleet of ten aircrafts and whose senators are the highest paid in the world is definitely not poor!!
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:31pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

Well, i got the figure from another Nairalander....plus, many people don't pay for power. Compliance rates in many parts of the country are between 45-60% of customers.
Another lie. But let's assume you're right 45%of 200m is surely not 6m.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:40pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

$100bn to fix the transmission system...not to generate power , dear lad.
Hahahaha
Dude!! You're an ignorant empty hole.$100bn to fix transmission issues?!! Do you know what $100bn is??
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by LabDNA: 2:42pm On Nov 09, 2019
I smell sabotage from somewhere.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by DeOTR: 2:44pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:
".

200million is from the experts, not me. Besides, at least we are around 100million at worst....and 4000mw is not enough.

South Africa generates 44000MW for 45million people, and even they have had rolling blackouts recently.
Well, you can't blame us for the failure of successive government to plan. Our case is because of low price, but that of planning. How can we still be generating exactly the amount of power we generated in the 1980s?

Well, contact your local DISCO. That's my 'weak' advice
There wouldn't have been any need for that if I'm metered.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:45pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

1.Most DISCOS have been rolling out meters since May this year.

2.Yes, you should pay for a meter...because someone made it, and those someones need their salaries paid.

3.People do bypass well well (and in some instances get away with it. My former landlord had to pay a meter bypass fine for a ex tenant who bypassed his meter and ran off ).

So, who owns the meter then? The disco or the consumer. Imagine I live in Abuja and I buy a meter then get transferred after a year to Enugu. Do I also go there and buy another meter or do I take the one ive brought with me? Since it's mine I can decide to sell it too not so?
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:46pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

That just redistributes the problem of financing and fixing up a new decentralised grid to the states or regions or countries.

At the end, power supply won't improve till we pay for it.
It darn well will. A decentralised transmission system reduce losses and is easier to manage. With that fault detection and resolution faster. This will definitely improve power supply.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by loswhite(m): 2:49pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

1.Most DISCOS have been rolling out meters since May this year.

2.Yes, you should pay for a meter...because someone made it, and those someones need their salaries paid.

3.People do bypass well well (and in some instances get away with it. My former landlord had to pay a meter bypass fine for a ex tenant who bypassed his meter and ran off ).
go and read the post again before you respond. Disco rolling out meter almost after 5 years of privatisation and you are so excited to say it...lol. which kind citizens we get for this country? You should also tell us to buy our transformer because someone made it...Empty head
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nezzel(f): 2:54pm On Nov 09, 2019
Our light has been restored. Thank God.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 09, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Here you go again with ur armchair analysis 36*10000 is 360,000MW. Are you sure you're okay?
Whoever put you up to dis didn't train you well at all.

Do have a good and blessed day, sir.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:59pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

$100bn to fix the transmission system...not to generate power , dear lad.
Let me now make it clear to you dat you're just an economic rape apologist and a barefaced liar.
There's no where in the world where cost of generating 1000MW is $2.21bn. I don't know why you're doing this but I'm sure you're not convincing anybody as you can see from the responses on this thread. I suspect you're that tactius/politicalwitch guy.
Be guided. Nigerians are more woke than you think.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by slowice(m): 3:05pm On Nov 09, 2019
As if we dey get light mtcheww lubbish
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by slowice(m): 3:05pm On Nov 09, 2019
As if we dey get light before ....mtcheww lubbish
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:08pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

Do have a good and blessed day, sir.
Besides, the problem of generation we have is not money. If you say distribution, I'll agree but definitely not generation. Nigeria presently has a generating capacity of more than 11,000MW, with another 5000MW ongoing installation. The problem that limits our generation to about 5000MW is that most of the plants are gas fired and gas is not available for them. A recent celebrated case of P&ID was about getting gas to power plants in Calabar. So, you're wrong in that aspect.
Nigeria experiences most of its power troubles in transmission and distribution. Transmission is what leads to most system collapses due to our centralised grid over long distances which is highly inefficient and clumsy. We need to decentralise which is why off-grid solutions are coming up.
The big black box which is distribution is usually burdened with overload on the feeders and transformers. This is where outages occur the most.
That's why Fashola introduced the policy which allows large scale consumers to bypass discos and purchase directly from gencos. Highbrow areas like magodo have keyed into this and are enjoying power.
So you see, the discos are the problem due to their lack of smart ideas to tackle the issues they were brought to tackle, corruption, inefficiency and govt patronage.
Until any govt is ready to seriously deal with these discos, Nigeria's power problem will remain.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 09, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Let me now make it clear to you dat you're just an[b]economic rape apologist[/b] and a barefaced liar.
There's no where in the world where cost of generating 1000MW is $2.21bn. I don't know why you're doing this but I'm sure you're not convincing anybody as you can see from the responses on this thread. I suspect you're that tactius/politicalwitch guy.
Be guided. Nigerians are more woke than you think.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

Hmm, I think you need to calm down good sir. This is a public forum, and I am not the government.

I got that cost from Quora, by the way. It's a good site. But here is a different sauce.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2019
I happen to be playing bogus charms by Rick Ross while reading this post. It gave me a special feeling.
Hopefully,
We will find a way.

Kanade21:

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:27pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

Hmm, I think you need to calm down good sir. This is a public forum, and I am not the government.

I got that cost from Quora, by the way. It's a good site. But here is a different sauce.
I'll advise you to trash dat quora and the "sauce".
If you're knowledgeable as you claim, you'll realise that generating power is not buying petrol. Even in secondary school, you'll be taught the different sources of power. Each country harnesses power in the cheapest available form.
Like in Nigeria, you have dams for hydroelectricity up north with solar and wind as other sources while down south we have gas plants with fossil fuels as others. The cost per kW for each source differs based on how efficient the methods are with gas being the most efficient. Even at that, you can't generate 1000MW for $2.21bn. You should doubt that source. Power generation is so much cheaper now in the age of nuclear plants. One nuclear plant can power the whole of the north. So get the correct information before pushing some agenda ok?
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by OShepherd: 3:54pm On Nov 09, 2019
Hmmmm! Dis our Grid sef cheesy grin
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by aalangel(f): 4:15pm On Nov 09, 2019
Toseenlove:

Acknowledged.....But be rest Assured It will soon go Off!!!

Not where I stay....ours is very stable.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Legendguru: 4:17pm On Nov 09, 2019
Oh
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by dasparrow: 5:06pm On Nov 09, 2019
@Post

This electricity issue is the reason I can never reside in Nigeria again. I am allergic to darkness and generator noise and fumes.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by gyeplus: 5:50pm On Nov 09, 2019
If Ghana with a population of 30m produces 5000MW and even supply burkina faso, togo, benin etc, and nigeria with population of 300m can not generate up to 15,000MW tell me where lies the argument of ratio of population against size of landmard. Mathematically 30:5000 is far better than 300:15000 unless we have people who are not good in mathematics. Untill nigeria admits to the fact that its failing, it will continue to fail. Unneccessary pride and ego doesn't build a country.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 09, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

I'll advise you to trash dat quora and the "sauce".
If you're knowledgeable as you claim, you'll realise that generating power is not buying petrol. Even in secondary school, you'll be taught the different sources of power. Each country harnesses power in the cheapest available form.
Like in Nigeria, you have dams for hydroelectricity up north with solar and wind as other sources while down south we have gas plants with fossil fuels as others. The cost per kW for each source differs based on how efficient the methods are with gas being the most efficient. Even at that, you can't generate 1000MW for $2.21bn. You should doubt that source. Power generation is so much cheaper now in the age of nuclear plants. One nuclear plant can power the whole of the north. So get the correct information before pushing some agenda ok?

You said my source is 'wrong' without giving me your correct source, other than a 'lecture on types of power'.

Well, to be frank, if I had my way, Nigerians would be getting power 24/7 for 2000 naira monthly. I would be consficating all corruptly earned sources of money to pay for it.

The problems start when that source of money dries up.

That's what bothers me.

Good evening. And one more thing, in my intereactions with you, I have noticed you have often resorted to abuse and shouting, and calling me 'government agent'. I have noted all your abuse, and in response, I wish you well in your life endeavours.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PPPRA Deletes N212 Per Litre Petrol Template From Website / Tinubu To Split Education, Works, Housing, Other Ministries / I Will Bring Sahara Reporters Down - Barr Francis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.