Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output (811 Views)

UNN Lecturer, Professor Mfonobong David Udoudom Caught Pants Down In GS Building / Unilag Ranks 1st In Nigeria And 8th In Africa / Success Adegor's Results, Comes 1st In Class (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by Anambralstson: 11:30am On Nov 09, 2019
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka, UNN, has been ranked first in Nigeria, and number 17 in Africa based on citations from publications.

This Webometrics ranking tagged “Transparent Ranking: Top Universities by Citations in Top Google Scholar Profiles”, and published on webometrics.info website, is based on highest number of citations from research publications.
According to the online research gatekeeper, it also is a direct measurement of quality of research output for the year, and has only UNN, among all the universities in Nigeria in the top 20 ranking in Africa.
The institution is also ranked 1108 in the world with 108,209 citations.

University of Ibadan is ranked second in Nigeria with 86,756 citations, followed by the University of Ilorin with 74,245 citations.

Covenant University with 55,844 citations and the University of Lagos with 41,121 citations made the top five universities in Nigeria according to the transparent online ranking site.

Harvard University with 8,704,969 citations is ranked number one in the world while University of Cape town with 996, 898 citations is enjoying the top spot on the African continent.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/07/unn-ranks-1st-in-nigeria-on-quality-research-output/
Lalasticlala

Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by KingAzubuike(f): 11:51am On Nov 09, 2019
Havard with over 8M citations are Nobel worthy citations.

The kind of citations Nigerian universities dish out here even a secondary school student will be disappointed.
Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 09, 2019
Webometrics.?

Thinking I was coming to read something sound.

Mtcheew.

1 Like

Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by TooMuchStuff: 12:08pm On Nov 09, 2019
Helep me check ABU Zaria whether dem even remember dem for the ratings.

That school...do us shegeee!
Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by Anambralstson: 12:12pm On Nov 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:
Webometrics.?

Thinking I was coming to read something sound.

Mtcheew.
Always use your brain
Top Universities by Citations in Top Google Scholar Profiles

1 Like

Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by RTSC: 12:13pm On Nov 09, 2019
KingAzubuike:

The kind of citations Nigerian universities dish out here even a secondary school student will be disappointed.
It does not come out of thin air.

The budget for havard alone in a year is more than our entire education budget.

Quality Research is directly proportional to money available.
Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by Dedetwo(m): 12:17pm On Nov 09, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
Helep me check ABU Zaria whether dem even remember dem for the ratings.

That school...do us shegeee!

Nigerians are very funny. Believed me, Nigeria should have been better than it has showed with good leadership.
Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by mrvitalis(m): 12:20pm On Nov 09, 2019
I'm terms of academic UNN school be the best school in nigeria worst case top 3 ....

The years of neglect by the military government for years left the school behind in infrastructure

If u see 1965 pics of UNN it has 80% of the structures the school has now

Its bad sha ...but she still prove her worth in academics year after year ....

The public school with the highest employability ratio ...it can't be by mistake

1 Like

Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by omenka(m): 12:34pm On Nov 09, 2019
KingAzubuike:

The kind if citations Nigerian universities dish out? I'm not sure you understand what citations means. Maybe you meant to say "the kind of publications......"

Let me break this down in a layman's way so you and others would understand.

The rating based on citation is simply that based on how many times researchers around the world have quoted publications from researchers in the institutions mentioned. That is basically how it works.

Now, a school my have millions of publications BUT if such publications aren't made on journals rated by, say, Scorpus, such publications will hardly get citations from researchers around the world.

That is how it works.

Congrats to UNN though.

3 Likes

Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by Anambralstson: 12:36pm On Nov 09, 2019
omenka:
The kind if citations Nigerian universities dish out? I'm not sure you understand what citations means. Maybe you meant to say "the kind of publications......"

Let me break this down in a layman's way so you and others would understand.

The rating based on citation is simply that based on how many times researchers around the world have quoted publications from researchers in the institutions mentioned. That is basically how it works.

Now, a school my have millions of publications BUT if such publications aren't made on journals rated by, say, Scorpus, such publications will hardly get citations from researchers around the world.

That is how it works.

Congrats to UNN though.

Nice one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by Ttipsy(f): 12:39pm On Nov 09, 2019
UNN
Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 09, 2019
We are Lions and lioness �
Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by Barrister180: 12:50pm On Nov 09, 2019
Please friends help me check university of calabar so as to relate the goodness to our VC. Thanks

1 Like

Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by christejames(m): 1:43pm On Nov 09, 2019
Hail Varsity of Nigeria my Alma mater!
...noble are thy look and thy ideas...

I just appreciate the way the school administration makes it a competition amongst staff to always publish articles and journals that will be engaging and well researched for a token.
I can still remember how our lecturers will always tell us to use Googlescholar when we are doing some academic research work. It's challenging but interesting.

Louder we Roar!!!

#followNPFL
Re: UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output by Vctr: 7:33pm On Nov 09, 2019
Lalasticlala.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Top List Of African Students Studying In U.S. In 2019 / Solved / Is The Next After Trillion Actually Zillion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.