Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,312 members, 7,780,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:12 PM

Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? (21969 Views)

This Person Sounds Like Me. / Here's Why The Heaven And Hell Message Now Sounds Like A Joke. / What Nigerian Tribe Or Language Does "Nebuchadnezzar" Sounds Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by alBHAGDADI: 7:10am On Nov 10, 2019
Imagine someone walks up to you and says he wants to give you a 50 storey skyscraper on Eko Atlantic City. He then says you will be the one to build it from scratch i.e dig the foundation, mix the cement bend the irons, mould the blocks and build it up to the 50th floor all by yourself without highering labourers. Will you consider that to be good news?

Now, imagine someone offers you the keys to an already completed skyscraper in Eko Atlantic and says all you have to do is believe it exists. is this good news?

The latter is the good news because you don't have to do any work before you get the promise. All you do is to believe, unlike the first which gives you a list of hard work to do, which you can never finish, before you can attain promise.

With heaven, you don't have to do any work other than just believe in Jesus. You don't have to ensure you do not sin before you can make heaven. All you need is to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.

But some people believe that works is required for salvation or to make heaven. Yes, works is required but what kind of work is that? Let's ask Jesus Christ

John 6:28-29
28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

What did Jesus also say in the most famous bie verse which is John 3:16?

John 3:16 (KJV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

What did the disciples of Jesus preach? Did they preach work based salvation or faith/believe salvation?

Acts 16:30-31 (KJV)
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house

As seen so far, the work God requires from us to do is to believe on his Son Jesus Christ. The disciples went further to state that work based salvation is false whereby you rely on your own works of righteousness. There is nothing like my works of righteousness plus faith as requirement for salvation. What salvation requires is believe/faith, not works of righteousness e.g not signing, doing good etc.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (KJV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

The disciples also added that even if you do not work at all but believe on Jesus, you are still seem as righteous before God.

Romans 4:5 (KJV)
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Why is God still considering you a righteous man and would allow you into heaven despite your many sins? That's because Jesus has taken your sins upon himself and has given you his righteousness.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV)
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

What did Jesus do exactly on the cross? His action on the cross made him the saviour of mankind. When you appear before a judge for horrible sins, he will definitely sentence you. Now, imagine someone shows up from nowhere and bails you out of the judgment. That's exactly what Jesus cries does with his blood. He bails those who believe in him from the consequence of sin when they die.

There is no eternal punishment for you if you believe in Jesus. You already have eternal life once you believe.

John 3:18 (KJV)
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

Can you now see that it is easy to make heaven just as it is easy for you to drink water? Yes, it is easy as saying...

"Lord Jesus Christ, I believe in you as my Lord and Savior. Save me today and give me eternal life. I no longer rely on my works but your work on the cross".

You see how easy that was. Isn't it good news that heaven is easy to make and it is done once. There's nothing like losing your salvation.

Philippians 1:6 (KJV)
6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

God who saved you today is not like an earthly bank that will lose what was saved. That's why he's a mighty God. He won't have sacrificed Jesus if he knew his blood won't be capable of keeping what it saved. The power on that blood can't be quantified. Those who believe they can lose their salvation don't really believe in Jesus. They are just paying lips service. They don't believe that Jesus the same yesterday, today and forever is capable of taking away their sins of yesterday, today and forever. They believe he only has power over their sins of yesterday, that's why they hold themselves responsible for the sons they commit henceforth. They've condemned themselves.

Can you now see how the good news is truly good news and pleasant to the ears? That's the good news Jesus said we should spread from Judea to the ends of the Earth.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 10, 2019
Of course "good" news doesn't mean "true" news, and saying something people want to hear doesn't mean you're telling them the truth.

So I'm not surprised that the lie that people don't have to do any works for them to be saved, but just to "believe" appeals to people more than the Truth that they need works to be saved.

Matthew 16:27 (KJV)

27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

John 5:29 (KJV)

29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Obviously works alone cannot save any man, so that's where grace comes in, to help man to be able achieve with works what works alone couldn't do for him.

It's just like the illustration of the fifty storey building you used, when a man cannot afford such a building with everything he's got, but then Someone builds it, and tells him, all he needs to do to have it is to surrender everything he has and the building becomes his.

So although everything the man has cannot afford the house, grace makes it possible for him to be able to get it for that price.

That's what works does, it alone cannot afford salvation but the Person that provided it said you require works to get it.

So although it may not sound like good news and what people want to hear, what people need to hear is the Truth so that they don't end up "believing" in Jesus and yet ending up in hell as many have already done and would yet do. {Matt 7:22-23}

And the Truth is that works are required for any man to be saved.

God bless.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by MuttleyLaff: 7:44am On Nov 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Imagine someone walks up to you and says he wants to give you a 50 storey skyscraper on Eko Atlantic City. He then says you will be the one to build it from scratch i.e dig the foundation, mix the cement bend the irons, mould the blocks and build it up to the 50th floor all by yourself without highering labourers. Will you consider that to be good news?

Now, imagine someone offers you the keys to an already completed skyscraper in Eko Atlantic and says all you have to do is believe it exists. is this good news?
The former and latter are both good news if coming from God, it becomes a different sort of scenario and the plot thickens, if it is someone with dubious and questionable character making the promise and/or offer

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by alBHAGDADI: 7:47am On Nov 10, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
The former and latter are both good news if coming from God, it becomes a different sort of scenario, if it is someone with dubious and questionable character making the promises

So to you, you can build a skyscraper all by yourself without highering labourers. That's good news to you?

Sorry to bust your bubble, God does not give half promises. He does everything once and gives it out in perfection.

7 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by MuttleyLaff: 7:51am On Nov 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
So to you, you can build a skyscraper all by yourself without highering labourers. That's good news to you?

Sorry to bust your bubble, God does not give half promises. He does everything once and gives it out in perfection.
Did Noah not build an ark all by himself ni? Abeggy comot for road jaare, make beta pipul pass jor. angry angry angry
You think its only you who knows how to play hardball ni, erhn?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by alBHAGDADI: 7:55am On Nov 10, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Did Noah not build an ark all by himself ni? Abeggy comot for road jaare, make pipul pass jor. angry angry angry
You think you its only you who knows how to play hardball ni, erhn?

Was the Ark for eternal salvation or for protection from a temporary flood?

5 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by malvisguy212: 8:05am On Nov 10, 2019
the good news is by seating on a boat and allow the boat to do all the work. but the unsaved man try to swim from one end to the other by his own strength.

the good news the Gospel bring, It bids me fly and gives me wings! Salvation is not WORKING; it is RESTING on the WORK of Another. Salvation is not based on what we might do; it is based on what Christ has ALREADY DONE.

God holiness utterly condemn the best man. God Grace freely justified the worst.

6 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by MuttleyLaff: 8:08am On Nov 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
Was the Ark for eternal salvation or for protection from a temporary flood?
Smh, you this man sef.

The ark was a shadow jor. It foreshadowed something else that came later. Do you want me to give you a few lists of the peculiarity of the ark, it historically and interestingly shared with eternal salvation ni?

5 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by MuttleyLaff: 8:25am On Nov 10, 2019
malvisguy212:
the good news is by seating on a boat and allow the boat to do all the work. but the unsaved man try to swim from one end to the other by his own strength.
Good News is doing work, by seating on a boat and allow the boat to do work, even as you navigate it.

An unsaved man tries to swim from one end of a river to the other end by his own strength, doesnt want God to be any part of the equation.

malvisguy212:
the good news the Gospel bring, It bids me fly and gives me wings! Salvation is not WORKING; it is RESTING on the WORK of Another. Salvation is not based on what we might do; it is based on what Christ has ALREADY DONE.

God holiness utterly condemn the best man. God Grace freely justified the worst.
"28Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?”
29Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.
"
- John 6:28-29

One day, some people asked Jesus what work(s) does God want us to do. Jesus in an uncompromisingly forthright way, as in meaning, without mincing words told them, its simply the work of faith. Grace is God’s giving us something we cannot earn or deserve. We cant earn by ourselves what Jesus has done for all, we dont serve what Jesus did for us. It is all down to the grace and benevolence of God. Now salvation is work, even Philippians 2:12 confirms this comment when it said: "... work out your salvation with fear and trembling"

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by malvisguy212: 8:33am On Nov 10, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Smh, you this man sef.

The ark was a shadow jor. It foreshadowed something else that came later. Do you want me to give you a few lists of the peculiarity of the ark, it historically and interestingly shared with eternal salvation ni?
that's the point. the ark foreshadowed the work of salvation. what if Noah did not enter the Ark ? so you mean because he built ( work) the ark, in anyway he is save ?
Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by malvisguy212: 8:40am On Nov 10, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Good News is doing work, by seating on a boat and allow the boat to do work, even as you navigate it.

An unsaved man tries to swim from one end of a river to the other end by his own strength, doesnt want God to be any part of the equation.

"28Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?”
29Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.
"
- John 6:28-29

One day, some people asked Jesus what work(s) does God want us to do. Jesus in an uncompromisingly forthright way, as in meaning, without mincing words told them, its simply the work of faith. Grace is God’s giving us something we cannot earn or deserve. We cant earn by ourselves what Jesus has done for all, we dont serve what Jesus did for us. It is all down to the grace and benevolence of God. Now salvation is work, even Philippians 2:12 confirms this comment when it said: "... work out your salvation with fear and trembling"
English do not interpret scripture, Greek and Hebrew do, in that Philippians 2:12 the Greek word for fear can also mean respect.

well. the different between my religion and your is that yours is doing and mine is DONE.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by MuttleyLaff: 8:43am On Nov 10, 2019
malvisguy212:
that's the point. the ark foreshadowed the work of salvation. what if Noah did not enter the Ark ? so you mean because he built ( work) the ark, in anyway he is save ?
No! Whats the matter with you guys erhn?

Did Noah not work, as in walk into the Ark ni? Why didnt Noah just stand outside the Ark without moving his legs to work walk into the Ark nau and lets see if or not he would have been saved
Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:48am On Nov 10, 2019
[quote author=jesusjnr post=83892467]Of course "good" news doesn't mean "true" news, and saying something someone wants to hear doesn't mean you're telling them the truth.

So I'm not surprised that the lie that people don't have to do any works for them to be saved, but just to "believe" appeals to people more than the Truth that they need works to be saved.

Matthew 16:27 (KJV)

27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

John 5:29 (KJV)

29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

In my view Step1 is to believe Christ (that is to know that Christ has told us the Truth we need to know to obtain Life).

After this Step 2, truthfully and dutifully obey, keep and do the commandments e.g Mathew 5, 6, 7 and all Christ's teachings.

Step 3, seek and pursue after the things of God i.e righteousness, peace, wisdom, knowledge, understanding etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by alBHAGDADI: 8:49am On Nov 10, 2019
malvisguy212:

Now this is the good news

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by malvisguy212: 8:52am On Nov 10, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
No! Whats the matter with you guys erhn?

Did Noah not work, as in walk into the Ark ni? Why didnt Noah just stand outside the Ark without moving his legs to work walk into the Ark nau and lets see if or not he would have been saved
you should've made your point clear. that's the arguments Paul and James address.
Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 10, 2019
grin cheesy cheesy

Christians miss it. They always miss it. All the time. It is a peculiar blind spot that is quite interesting to watch from outside.

What exactly is the GOODNEWS that Jesus brought? That if you believe in him you will go to heaven? You mean the same heaven that Jesus Christ said is INSIDE of you?

Awwww...come on Christians, ASK QUESTIONS.

Question all that you believe. You will be shocked that what you believe is radically different from what is the truth.

Your pastors sell passage to heaven to you at the price of your seed sowing. The same heaven that is within you?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by phayvoursky(m): 8:58am On Nov 10, 2019
THE STANDARD OF HEAVEN IS VERY HIGH.

YOU HAVE TO WORK YOUR WAY TO HEAVEN. LIVING A SIN FREE LIFE ISN'T ENOUGH.

DID YOU HELP THE POOR?
DID YOU THINK WICKED IN YOUR HEART?
DID YOU LUST AFTER YOUR NEIGHBOURS WIFE/HUSBAND OR CHILD?
DID YOU TURN BLIND EYES TO EVIL?
DID YOU PAY TITHE OR PRACTICE ANY LAW OF MOSES?

THESE AND MORE ARE QUESTIONS YOU NEED TO ASK YOURSELF

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by MuttleyLaff: 8:58am On Nov 10, 2019
malvisguy212:
English do not interpret scripture, Greek and Hebrew do, in that Philippians 2:12 the Greek word for fear can also mean respect.
Look at you chopping logic smh. When I use my very sharp blade kitchen with fear and trembling, means I treasure myself and my fingers, so I use the knife with respect, not because its a monster or something of that sort

malvisguy212:
well. the different between my religion and your is that yours is doing and mine is DONE.
Look at you, smh. I am sure, you really dont know what religion is, and if I should tug you about the meaning of it, you'll be chomping your teeth

Nwanne, religion is done and doing, lol. Look up the number of times of word "religion" up in the bible, lol, then use James 1:26-27 to grasp what religion is all about and really is, lol.
Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by wwwihy: 8:59am On Nov 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Why are you bearing terrorist name

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by Passionate888: 9:02am On Nov 10, 2019
Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by Truefaith: 9:03am On Nov 10, 2019
Check this issue up with your Bible open at

www.thetruechristianfaith.com
Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by MuttleyLaff: 9:04am On Nov 10, 2019
malvisguy212:
you should've made your point clear. that's the arguments Paul and James address.
Is it my fault, if when I am pointing to the moon, but youse are looking at my finger tips instead of looking at the moon I was pointing to, hmm?
Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by clive2u(m): 9:04am On Nov 10, 2019
none can build a skyscraper all by himself, God won't give us such task and what if the keys were to a literally non existing skyscraper just to test your faith.

just saying tho

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 10, 2019
Please the illustration you gave makes no sense..

You were given a portion of land to build a 50 storey building, that is Gods gift. God wont give you a task that would overcome you.. You need to put in work to actualize dreams through Gods guidance and protection.

You are indirectly advising people to ignore blessings just because it comes with a task while inscribing Gods blessings comes with no work at all?...

Maybe I misunderstood you, but even the bible tells us to prepare for the coming of christ... preparation is work, Jesus could have come as Herods son, or pharaoh's son.. but God chose the son of a carpenter.. Jesus worked his way up to the moment of his glory..

We need to stop this prosperity Gospel making people believe they need just prayers and belief without work.. it leads to depression.

3 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by nairalanduseles: 9:05am On Nov 10, 2019
Only good news na when bet enter

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by kelvindj98: 9:07am On Nov 10, 2019
Stupid people arguing about a story book.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by EternalBeing: 9:08am On Nov 10, 2019
You have a good point. Yes, JESUS paid for our salvation but we have to receive it. Focusing, praying and genuine dedication to your being Holy, is the action to receive the free gift of eternal Life that He has paid for. https://www.nairaland.com/5508005/erroneous-expectation-caused-many-lose#83701697

3 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by dokie: 9:09am On Nov 10, 2019
Anyone who tells you that you don't need to do anything else than believe in the gospel to make heaven is not telling you the truth. It is a lie from the put of hell that fits perfectly into the desires of the flesh, while claiming eternal salvation.

I won't even bother going to scripture to pursue arguments because scriptures to counter that will show up as well. It doesn't mean the Bible contradicts itself, it is just that the the books of the Bible was written by different people in different circumstances, and for different purposes all leading to the same thing which is leading a good, holy, righteous, and godly life through Christ.

But I will just like the op to answer this: If works were not necessary, why ask for forgiveness? Why did Jesus demand repentance, in addition to believing the good news?

6 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by malvisguy212: 9:10am On Nov 10, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Look at you chopping logic smh. When I use my very sharp blade kitchen with fear and trembling, means I treasure myself and my fingers, so I use the knife with respect, not because its a monster or something of that sort

Look at you, smh. I am sure, you really dont know what religion is, and if I should tug you about the meaning of it, you'll be chomping your teeth

Nwanne, religion is done and doing, lol. Look up the number of times of word "religion" up in the bible, lol, then use James 1:26-27 to grasp what religion is all about and really is, lol.
okay. to work out your salvation ,Doesn't it mean one can lose it ?

Psalm 2:11 sums it up perfectly: “Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling.” if fear, why rejoice ?

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by Rekhina(f): 9:11am On Nov 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Bro in Christ

Our leaders made it impossible for us to be holy ,I was from a strong christian background but now so evil because our leaders lives forever tanks to God and the angels ,as am talking 2 u if I decide to be holy I will die in shame and humiliation ... then I will curse God and go to hell finally ! Can't u see

See God protects those leaders so that dey will crush us into sin , now most of us pure ladies with goodheart prostitute to survive

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by Awoo88: 9:15am On Nov 10, 2019
All this teaching of satan to make true Christians careless. You must put in the work! Everyone must work out their salvation. After being saved by grace, you must guide against the subtility of Devil who is working overtime to make sure you lose your salvation. Beliving is not enough. You must watch out for the enemy that want to sow trash while you sleep

3 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? by Gabson001(m): 9:18am On Nov 10, 2019
Thank God you said imagine
I will stop imagining

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why Your Family Should Pray Unclad / Yahoo Boys: Pastor David Ibiyeomie Tells Police Stop Collecting Money From Thems / A Deeper Life Woman End Up In Hell For Using A Rubber Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.