Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,842 members, 7,802,693 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT (15391 Views)

An Adventuring Experience During The Lockdown / Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! / Court Strikes Off Ugwuonye Emeka’s Name From Legal Practitioners' Roll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by mayprince(m): 11:57pm On Nov 10, 2019
Industrial training program has been proven to give students(most especially engineering students) the opportunity to put all the theories they've learnt in school into practice. 
For students who are about to start their IT(including me), Kindly share your experience and your advice as regard IT.

To make contributions, first tell us your course of study, your IT placement industry, then share your experience.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by mayprince(m): 7:37pm On Nov 11, 2019
seun This is a FP material. Students like me want to learn from others so as to have a befitting career. lalasticlala mynd44

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by PatrickOkunima(m): 10:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
Electrical Engineering. Did my IT onboard. The experience was awesome.

1 Like

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by ainas247: 10:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
smiley Learn in school... you would notice you didn't know anything if you jam better coy.
mine was comp sci.. school was teaching Cobol, Fortran Qbasic

I realized that all those stuff were not used in the real labor market...

One Advice....
Prepare yourself to learn and don't do as if you know much.

Good luck

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by franchasng: 10:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
Studying Engineering (Mechanical especially) in Nigeria is a waste of time, that's if you truly want to make impact not just to secure job.

But I have come to realize that engineering graduates are the smartest people on earth anywhere in the world. Forget medicine, engineering graduates are trained to fit-in in any field of life unlike medical graduates who are trained to fit in only in medical line.

You can see an engineer who is also a lawyer, a banker, a pharmacist, a doctor, a singer, a spiritualist, just name it, but you can hardly find a doctor who is a lawyer or an engineer or a banker.

You won't understand this unless you are truly trained engineer.

I am an Engineer, a software developer , a law student now also planning to study history, and above all, I am also an entrepreneur, only engineering graduates can be all this because they are trained to be versatile.

Op, work towards furthering your engineering study abroad, especially in US, Europe, Russia (chemical engineering only).

You can get free scholarship to study masters in Norway, Finland, etc to give you a new experience in new environment where you can also do exchange programs.

Most of the things you will learn in Nigerian schools as an engineer will be useless when you join the real industrial world. I did my IT with two different firms in 2 different sectors; AGIP and a manufacturing plant and they made me realized I wasted time solving Laplace Laplace transform in school when I ought to have spent more time at the workshops doing fabrications, learning CNC lathe machine programing and machinning processes.

Engineering students in Nigeria don't even know about robotics which ought to be part of mechanical engineering here because robotics is one sweet aspect of engineering Nigerian students need to explore to help Nigeria grow.

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
shocked

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Roon9(m): 10:10pm On Nov 11, 2019
Abeg eeee

Are you a small shop owner?
Is the epileptic power supply from the national grid your greatest bane?

If yes, then contact us today via the below signature for highly efficient and durable solar plans to gain full Autonomy of upto 16hrs daily for your businesses and homes at an extremely reasonable cost.

Payment after delivery nationwide

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by bluntspade: 10:10pm On Nov 11, 2019
After searching, trekking and submitted IT letter later saw placement in my uncles company. See work. I learnt practical there raw not the one school was teaching us. I climbed one eye scaffolding like that one day, one of the stone they kept one leg on moved a bit see how me and everyone else of the scaffolding wanted to cry. The experiences was worth it. Was chanced to work with the RnA man, Company mechanic, eec guys, plumber, wielder, Fabricator, worked on different machines inside the factory, worked with bro akin the contract staff, the most used person in the company they always call him when they have any big and heavy thing they want to carry that uncle suffered small. I started avoiding him the day he asked me to carry one very big long cable with him. I felt for him that day. That cable was like 2 times our weight combined. The day those agbaya kept us on one very long scaffolding and asked us to start riveting board to an iron on the roof I saw hell that day we all had the roofing boards on our head when the scaffolding started to shake coman see us sweating and scared not to fall.

Was a bitter sweet experience but was definitely worth it. In practical aspect I was way ahead of my other coursemates learnt lot of thing they later thought us in class, was now like revision to me.

Best thing is to find company you'll get to learn core practical not just sit inside office enjoying AC. The ones in the admin were more like messengers every break time we see them carrying different plates going to buy food for staffs grin grin

A mechanical engineer btw

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Criticaltemp: 10:11pm On Nov 11, 2019
Did my IT at nnpc towers abuja..telecoms dept will never forget me.. Once told a fulani female moslem coliq that i wanted her to do something for me.. To give me blowjo* (BJ). Thinking she knows what i meant and will know am joking , she shipishly went to ask the meaning of bj from my supervisor a northerner. He came to my office with her and asked loudly in the presence of all my fellow IT coliq.. I just off that day

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by BUSHHUNTER: 10:11pm On Nov 11, 2019
grin
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Brunicekid(m): 10:12pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:
Studying Engineering in Nigeria is a waste of time, that's if you truly want to make impact not just to secure job
Not necessarily... I studied engineering... It is not "so worst".
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by AK481(m): 10:12pm On Nov 11, 2019
My IT defined my today’s career and created a path for me.

Testimony:

As an electrical engineering student , I had the opportunity to do my IT in sectors like ;

Powersystem : High voltage
Electronic circuit : low voltage
Communication: telecoms and it related sectors
Control system: automation
Computer and IT: hard wares, networking and application engineering.

I did my IT in computer and Information technology,in a company called systemtech services in Ogunalana drive ( God bless the owners and management of the company)during my IT I found a particular intrest in networking and system support, I was opportuned to write and pass my CCNA before finishing my IT.

The IT job as an intern took took me into many companies like etisalat, glo, Mtn ,Friesland ,....I was serious about it and wasn’t driven by money.

I graduated and I was focused in Infotech,served in Lagos and after service I was called back by the same company to resume as a executive trainee. Why did they do that?

Because of the relationship and hard work I displayed during my INtern period , also, a 2-1 graduate of UNN.

After working a while for the company,I wrote and pass a couple of ccna collab,ccna wireless ,and ccnp collaboration, attempted CCIE lab.then I left to a top FMCG company in Nigeria resign and left for another top FMCG doing Information technology jobs.

Today I am a Registered Engineer with specialization in computer Engineering and IT.

The point is that, Guys take your internship serious, it could define your career on the long run.

Last bullet: avoid government agency only apply there if u have no option in the private sector, not even nnpc.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by LORDKing001: 10:12pm On Nov 11, 2019
Bros u will be carrying file up and down for office. Sending you for airtime. Buy coke , carry load for... Las Las de will tell u hope you are learning?

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by abbaapple: 10:14pm On Nov 11, 2019
angry

Smh!

1 Like

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Maj196(m): 10:15pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yea I enjoyed it did mine in Julius Berger 2015-2016

2 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Geekamon(m): 10:16pm On Nov 11, 2019
I'm presently on my Internship...There are moments when the whole thing fit just tire you, but one thing I do is seek out active participation. I proved myself to my supervisor, earned his trust, and he started giving me more rewarding tasks.

4 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Ijawwomaninoyo: 10:17pm On Nov 11, 2019
My Experience.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by SammieLowkey(m): 10:17pm On Nov 11, 2019
Did my I.T with a foreign construction company (Civil Engineering)
All i can say right now is, It's one of the greatest highlights of my life. Learnt a lot. cool

For engineering students, never boycott your I.T scheme.. Would do you a lot of good. #peace

6 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by MichaelUweh(m): 10:17pm On Nov 11, 2019
Mechanical Engineering, very competitive my brother. But with your connections you be hot cake.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by davide470(m): 10:18pm On Nov 11, 2019
I did my IT in one of the international oil companies in Nigeria. Most of what i learnt was self-taught as the staff were mostly busy, but there were lots of training material which really helped me and made me tow the energy business line.

I was sponsored for an important 2-day training after 'pestering' my line manager who was always complaining about the budget.

But I made contacts which helped me and has helped me to-date, way beyond what i would have imagined.

How i got the placement was funny though. Walking on the streets of VI, I was directed to the company by an Ecobank security guard who advised i should give it a trial after he took a copy of my IT letter and said he will send to the Ecobank's HR. I got to the Oil firm, told them i came to drop my IT letter, submitted and was invited for a test 3 weeks later.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Ekakamba: 10:20pm On Nov 11, 2019
ainas247:
smiley Learn in school... you would notice you didn't know anything if you jam better coy.

One Advice....

Good luck

Gbam!!!!!
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by franchasng: 10:24pm On Nov 11, 2019
Brunicekid:
Not necessarily... I studied engineering... It is not "so worst".
I studied engineering in Nigeria and have experienced engineering outside Nigeria, so I know what I am talking about.

Especially mechanical engineering, what we are studying in Nigeria is just maintenance engineering not mechanical engineering because Nigeria doesn't have the capacity to train mechanical engineers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Johncuba(m): 10:24pm On Nov 11, 2019
I am a Chemical Engineering graduate and I was fortunate enough to do my I.T in NB PLC Aba brewery.

Those were the best times of my life...

Excellent and safe working environment. Plenty to learn, good network with worthy people, plenty food, free medicals, open bar parties, freebies monthly and December bonus...

The experience to me is unforgettable.

3 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by naijadrivablog: 10:24pm On Nov 11, 2019
grin shocked

Wetin una learn no be theory? For IT na siddon look.

Almost all my friends are Engineers, one of whom served in Warri Refinery. Na to just open valve be em work that year grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 11, 2019
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Blackicegold(m): 10:28pm On Nov 11, 2019
Is it possible to do ones I T offshore.?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by stanley000: 10:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
with topics like these making front page looks like sanity is being restored on nairaland or did any mod lose their job?

6 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by trilacos: 10:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by shiggy: 10:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
ainas247:

One Advice....

Good luck

Did you happen to school in FUTA?

There's still some demand for COBOL though, but I'm sure they didn't teach it in an applicable form.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

50,000 Abuja Workers Sacked In Two Months – ACCI / Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff / I Am Proud To Be An Accounting Technician Of Ican-sign In If U Are

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.