Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,844 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:57 AM

Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool (23114 Views)

Guardiola: "I Will Sleep Better When I Dont Have To Stop Neymar" (photos) / Guardiola: "I Respect Arsenal On The Pitch, But Not Much Off The Pitch" / Guardiola: "I Will Stay 100% At Man City And The Truth Will Prevail" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by ogbiwa: 6:11am On Nov 11, 2019
Pep Guardiola said he "does not know" if his Manchester City side can overcome a nine-point deficit and catch leaders Liverpool in the Premier League title race.

City are aiming to become the first side since Manchester United in 2009 to win three consecutive titles but now sit fourth in the Premier League.

"I am not a magician; I don't know the future," Guardiola said.

"We have Chelsea at home next. We will try to beat them."

City are now in a not dissimilar position to last term, when the Reds opened up a 10-point lead over Guardiola's side after 20 games, although at that stage Liverpool had played one match more.

However, City then went on a remarkable run, dropping just three points in their remaining 18 games, which included a victory over the Reds at Etihad Stadium.

The pivotal moment in that game came via a dramatic goalline clearance by John Stones.

But City were on the wrong side of a match-defining moment on this occasion when they were convinced they should have been awarded a penalty for a Trent Alexander-Arnold handball moments before Fabinho struck the opening goal.

Guardiola appeared visibly upset by the decision to allow the goal, suggesting any questions about it should be put to Mike Riley, general manager of Professional Game Match Officials Limited, the body responsible for referees in English professional football.

The City manager offered no comment on the incident beyond saying: "Ask Mike Riley and his people please."

He added: "Congratulations to Liverpool, they scored three, we got one but I'm so proud of my team, few teams can come here and play the way we did.

"We started incredibly well, we showed incredible bravery, they are the champions of Europe and it is the most difficult stadium in the world. We played like back-to-back champions.

"We cannot deny how good Liverpool are but the way we played, the personality, it was good."

'I can celebrate tonight' - Klopp
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp called the frenetic nature of the game "incredible" and "really wild", even if Fabinho's opener met with a muted response from the German.

"The problem was the VAR. I saw the discussions before the first goal and I was just waiting," Klopp said.

"It is not the same any more but it is no problem. I can celebrate tonight. It was so tough to play, the intensity of the game was so clear. It was all worth it, really great."

Headers from Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane put Liverpool in control before Bernardo Silva pulled a goal back for the champions.

But it was not enough to prevent Liverpool from enhancing their prospects of a first domestic title for 30 years.

Only Manchester United (nine points in 1993-94) have enjoyed a bigger advantage at this stage of a Premier League season, with Klopp's side now eight points clear of Leicester and Chelsea at the top.

But despite that margin, Klopp played down its significance, with his squad now facing a busy run of fixtures between 23 November and 2 January.

"It's not important," he added. "Who wants to be first in early November? It's important to be top in May.

"Each point we have we need to go through the most intense period ever."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50368810

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by Kingdollar28(m): 6:14am On Nov 11, 2019
Una go need Edo jazz ooh

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by Ayoswit(f): 6:39am On Nov 11, 2019
Football is a game of luck

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by domino4211(m): 6:39am On Nov 11, 2019
We know Liverpool very well.
All they need is one loss.
I assure you, they'd start losing till Man city topples them..

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by Pentools(m): 6:39am On Nov 11, 2019
Catch who....that's never happening....

I pray that mane never gets injury though....

That guy na German machine...old Volkswagen engine.

65 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by lankka: 6:40am On Nov 11, 2019
grin
my guy don mellow.
no chior practise yesterday

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by nony43(m): 6:40am On Nov 11, 2019
I want Liverpool to win the title but I want them to lose a match at Anfield

4 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by Realfrankie(m): 6:40am On Nov 11, 2019
This two Men that doesn't shave

10 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by tompat86(m): 6:41am On Nov 11, 2019
Like for liverpool,share for city

92 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by chinavs9ja(m): 6:41am On Nov 11, 2019
Hallelujah

Get your own website today...check my signature
Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by NonFarmPayrol: 6:41am On Nov 11, 2019
Mehn as a barca fan I really admire what klopp has done to liverpool

He built a strong machine shocked

Aguero also messed up city's chances of coming into the game yesterday

Overall it was nice to watch as a neutral
Good entertaining football

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by helinues: 6:43am On Nov 11, 2019
Its over.. The points and the goals difference no be here

Excepts if all this Liverpool players are injured for like 6 months...

Dijk
Fabinho
Mane
Alexander Arnold
Firminho

11 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by divinehand2003(m): 6:44am On Nov 11, 2019
Klop and his men are on fire this season. Affliction they suffered last season by drawing too many games won't arise the second time.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by Young4jose: 6:45am On Nov 11, 2019
My guy humble, winning na good thing. God will make win big dis remain months IJN.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by Valwezzy: 6:45am On Nov 11, 2019
Is he crying already? grin cheesy

Congratulations to KOP boys; grin..hopefully, you guys won't bottle up this advantage as usual

5 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by kerry57: 6:46am On Nov 11, 2019
Which kind catch be that guadiola? You wan catch fire? Oga coachee go park well for next season thing. We never walk alone all the way.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by hisexcellency34: 6:46am On Nov 11, 2019
Only Arsenal can catch them

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by beautyhound(m): 6:47am On Nov 11, 2019
logon599:
Mind games. Liverpool were 7 points clear after 20 games last season and you still caught them with 18 games left. Now they're 9 clear and we've not even reached halfway yet. Meanwhile what a job Lampard and Rodgers are doing at Chelsea and Leicester respectively. If Chelsea beat Man City after the international break, they will become Liverpool's main challenger for the title. And to think Chelsea are the team with the transfer ban and the team that lost their most influential player at the beginning of the season. I think credit is due. Mount, Abraham, Tomori, Pulisic, Zouma. On another day these names sound like players you'll draft to help you avoid defeat to Brentford in the Carabao cup but Lampard has got them believing and challenging at the very top. Kudos. From a non Chelsea fan

nice points but chelsea dont yet v d squad mentality to chase liverpool yet as it is a young squad, only man city can. Chelsea nd Lampard deserves all d credit especially d way dey were rejected beginning of season.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by princeSammyz: 6:48am On Nov 11, 2019
Liverpool are really tactical. That made the difference last night. Long ball kangaroo attacks it was and it worked well against a poor Man city defense. The poor defense is comes naturally with their patern.

9 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by seunlayi(m): 6:48am On Nov 11, 2019
Pep is not a man

3 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by Realhommie(m): 6:50am On Nov 11, 2019
That would be almost impossible.. I do not see Liverpool slipping like they did the last 2 seasons.. Heck, they've been the most consistent side the last couple of seasons and they look good to claim their first EPL title in over 2 decades.

Since Arsenal they misbehave, Liverpool don become my alternate team for England. #YNWA

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by Alanpoza007: 6:51am On Nov 11, 2019
logon599:
Mind games. Liverpool were 7 points clear after 20 games last season and you still caught them with 18 games left. Now they're 9 clear and we've not even reached halfway yet. Meanwhile what a job Lampard and Rodgers are doing at Chelsea and Leicester respectively. If Chelsea beat Man City after the international break, they will become Liverpool's main challenger for the title. And to think Chelsea are the team with the transfer ban and the team that lost their most influential player at the beginning of the season. I think credit is due. Mount, Abraham, Tomori, Pulisic, Zouma. On another day these names sound like players you'll draft to help you avoid defeat to Brentford in the Carabao cup but Lampard has got them believing and challenging at the very top. Kudos. From a non Chelsea fan
That is why Lampard deserves all praise. The likes of Guardiola could never have accepted the Chelsea job the time Lampard did cos he won't have endless cash to splash about like he's doing at City and buying the league with that.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by Thisis2raw(m): 6:52am On Nov 11, 2019
I believe mancity can still catch up

3 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by A305: 6:53am On Nov 11, 2019
I'm Chelsea but it's evident that this is Liverpool season. It's shows in their mentality of play. They don't care for fancy football, they just want to win and every chances they get counts!

Klop did/is doing a good job. See my sigg for that CHEAP seinna.

7 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by MrNipplesLover(m): 6:54am On Nov 11, 2019
Mr. PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) Guardiola,

which year you come Liverpool wey u wan beat dem for their home? grin

abi u no know the record between Liverpool and Man City at Anfield?

Èle ri Draw.

I hail u, PEP. grin

5 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by maynation(f): 6:55am On Nov 11, 2019
How? grin
City should catch up with leicester, na them be mate.

Thisis2raw:
I believe mancity can still catch up

2 Likes

Re: Guardiola: I Don't Know If We Can Catch Liverpool by BlackCrainte: 6:56am On Nov 11, 2019
Same way PDP will tell you about 2023

They dont know if they can win

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North / Paul Onuachu Celebrates His 26th Birthday Today (Photos) / Top Ten Smoking Footballers: Jack Wilshere, Lionel Messi And More Seth Williams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.