Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,514 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? (34792 Views)

Elon Musk Warns Low Birth Rates May Lead To Population Collapse / I Am Starting My First Business With No Prior Business Experience / What You Should Know About Starting Your First Business Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by ThisisIkemefuna(m): 10:39am On Nov 16, 2019
xpresseeve:

Where is your current location?

Lagos my brother

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by motheex: 10:39am On Nov 16, 2019
majamajic:
everyone is avoiding the topic

if woman fall someone business , how do I write it ?

which English should I use to describe it ?

ahhhh, Angelina !!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Nnemuka(f): 10:40am On Nov 16, 2019
So a friend of mine in spain sends spanish wine down to Nigeria and he told me he wanted to expand his business to south south Nigeria and luckily for me he said he would supply me those wines in cartons so i can market the goods for him.

Last year, he sent me some cartons and i sold out in couple of months.
Business was lucrative for me and i decided to venture into it.

Discussed with my friend and he asked me to get a shop, so i can have a warehouse atleast that he will send to me, once i sell off, i will pay him and he will bring more just like we did last year.
Elated me rushed in, rented a shop, and gladly informed him. Shockingly he told me to pay money for any amount of cartons i wanted shocked shocked shocked
I informed him that it wasn't our agreement but he insisted.

I have paid shop rent, fixed the entire place and now he is coming up with another story.
To cut the long story short, i went into retail of the wine, Converted the place to a wine store but i hardly sell anything. embarassed embarassed
Well i have decided to convert it into a bar and sell drinks, beer, juice infact a sit out spot.
I have made losses but hopefully this new addition will sell for me.

Life is in stages sha

39 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Ginaz(f): 10:40am On Nov 16, 2019
I want to start a bike business. If a new bike cost let’s say 200k how much would the bike rider balance me at the end of it ? Please answers needed .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 16, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Please don't give wrong advice. That's why there's "mini" there. Many people into mini importation are thriving.
What did you know about business, What did you know about multiplying money, How many experiences did you have, Have you been depressed due to the performance of your business before? if you have no answers to my questions please go to romance section,This place is not for you. Don't come and say what you hear people saying, Talk from experience

Regards.

15 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by ThisisIkemefuna(m): 10:42am On Nov 16, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
You simply need to exercise patience and make use of shipping companies with fast shipping process.

Are you into it too? Like actively into it?

I like to talk personally with you on WhatsApp please. 0901715 zero five three three
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by ManspaceBarber(m): 10:43am On Nov 16, 2019
NGRsenate:
Mine was aggregating and selling locally made shoes.

I got a website, ran ads that ran into thousands of naira. Got my branded shoe boxes and nylons down.

But the thing is MOST Nigerians will not buy locally made Nigerian shoes that costs more than N20k. Even N15k was difficult to sell too.

The shoemakers were always adamant whenever we tell them to adjust their prices and that’s partly because they just make the shoes, put it inside a show glass in front of their shops and put it up on their WhatsApp statuses. I did most of the advertising; Facebook, Instagram, jiji. So it wasn’t their business how the prices of their shoes were affecting running my business.

Another thing is trust. Someone will ask for price and ask me if I truly feel the shoes will last up to a year after paying N25k to buy.

Eventually the business packed up. Branded shoe boxes and nylon was thrown away en masse.

I think the lesson there is for local manufacturers to be weary of price and how they price their products. And let them forget about attributing luxury status to their products until they’ve actually blown. Even people at lekki sef are usually skeptical about buying expensive locally made products when the maker is still a nobody, no offense to hustlers reading.

Cost, not price.
If the cost of producing these shoes are high, apparently the selling price would be high. Overhead cost is the determinant of price.

Marketing and innovation is the heart of business, every other thing is a cost.

1 Like

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by THURAFTERNOON: 10:43am On Nov 16, 2019
walkwithgod:

Do you have a website ?

Yes I do bro.
Sorry I can't reply on my other moniker. Was banned for a week.
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by ThisisIkemefuna(m): 10:45am On Nov 16, 2019
Noel1:

N100k may be difficult to start a major business in Nigeria of today.

Why don't u put it in a fixed deposit account? I think some banks would give u up to 4.5% monthly interest on it. That's like N4,500 interest first month.
Then roll it over and u gain more interest based on compound interest.

Alternatively, u can buy Federal Government Treasury bills.

Interesting. I'm not sure I perfectly understand how these work oo.. Please put more light into it or I can chat on WhatsApp 0901715 zero five three three
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by xpresseeve: 10:46am On Nov 16, 2019
ThisisIkemefuna:

Lagos my brother

There is a simple model that requires 2 hours of your time daily but with 50k you can glean 5k weekly and then 10k weekly before hitting 5k daily........which is my target. You must understznd that it is a sales effort that requires a lot of push initially. But with a great product and a densely populated area its not so difficult to pull it off.

Moreover, you can also start with very small amounts while appraising the response from your territory.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by ThisisIkemefuna(m): 10:47am On Nov 16, 2019
Softhands:
I am organizing a free mini importation class for people like you who want to start on a small scale this afternoon by 12pm to 3pm. The class is free so you have nothing to worry about. Use this link to join the group.

Check my signature to join the WhatsApp group.

The link is not working
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by ThisisIkemefuna(m): 10:48am On Nov 16, 2019
xpresseeve:

There is a simple model that requires 2 hours of your time daily but with 50k you can glean 5k weekly and then 10k weekly before hitting 5k daily........which is my target. You must understznd that it is a sales effort that requires a lot of push initially. But with a great product and a densely populated area its not so difficult to pull it off.

Moreover, you can also start with very small amounts while appraising the response from your territory.

Please let me have a personal chat with you on more information please
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Nnemuka(f): 10:55am On Nov 16, 2019
A305:
Nigeria is a jungle. It's tough for start up here in Nigeria. Even tougher if you don't have a skill. Any business that survives the very first 3 years in Nigeria and still flourish is worth investing more into. However, I can beat my chest and say, aside the harsh business climate in Nigeria, Majority of business failure in Nigeria is lack or poor MANAGEMENT.

In the ehailing thread, one man in the monker of Dru23 will continue to be a hero for turning his business around and giving hope to other investors in the ehailing thread, All what he hammers on is management and maintenance period.

By the way I still have my CHEAP SIENNA available down my sig
link to the thread pls
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by SendAbroad: 10:55am On Nov 16, 2019
xpresseeve:

Bros you could be the one sent to deliver me.

I found a thread on Nairaland about bread distributorship and tried it out with very wonderful results. I make about 2k daily from selling the 50.00 type just in my locality alone.

Now I need to expand and would like to do that with bikes. I project that I can make about 10k daily with two bikes. They only need to work like 4 hours per day.

Can you arrange two functional bikes for me at 50k each?
Careful...

I see how your body dey hot to buy bikes for bread delivery.

Ask yourself: how do you control the money from the bread items they go to supply?. That should be your number one worry.

I once had 10 bikes.. we were producing every day. Bike men will take supplies, come back give report that some customers bought on credit, some paid cash...submit invoice in office.

Next day same thing. One day, decided to audit all customers who invoices say owe credit. Turned out all customers buy and pay cash instantly, whilst bike men steal the cash and invoice credit to company .

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 16, 2019
mrgoodd:

What did you know about business, What did you know about multiplying money, How many experiences did you have, Have you been depressed due to the performance of your business before? if you have no answers to my questions please go to romance section,This place is not for you. Don't come and say what you hear people saying, Talk from experience

Regards.
Everything ain't about romance bro. I'm in mini importation, I buy from Aliexpress and recently started patronizing 1688. It's not easy I tell ya, but with perseverance and a good marketing strategy, u will prevail.

6 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by eventsmallchops: 10:59am On Nov 16, 2019
namiji2598:
who is that her husband?

a Nigerian labour union leader in Abuja, he's from Gombe state , a politician, why are you asking? the moment the government agency guys heard his name, they just laughed and switched to the woman side, that is Nigeria for you.

1 Like

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Nobody: 11:00am On Nov 16, 2019
Mujtahida:

Our pastors are all motivational speakers and self help coaches. They have long abandoned the gospel.

God bless you for this.
They are one of the courses of people developing mental health in Nigeria. grin

2 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by A305: 11:01am On Nov 16, 2019
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by ThisisIkemefuna(m): 11:01am On Nov 16, 2019
xpresseeve:

Bros you could be the one sent to deliver me.

I found a thread on Nairaland about bread distributorship and tried it out with very wonderful results. I make about 2k daily from selling the 50.00 type just in my locality alone.

Now I need to expand and would like to do that with bikes. I project that I can make about 10k daily with two bikes. They only need to work like 4 hours per day.

Can you arrange two functional bikes for me at 50k each?

Let's chat on WhatsApp.. 0901715 zero five three three
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by meobizy(f): 11:03am On Nov 16, 2019
Me? Nothing. I haven’t established it yet. I’m still in the planning and finance stages. Now if we count Yahoo Yahoo, I dabbled and stopped when I realized the time and effort needed was enough to build a proper business. I also realized the maga you catch may turn out a fellow Yahoo boy trying to rope you into a con.

6 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by NGRsenate: 11:05am On Nov 16, 2019
ManspaceBarber:

Cost, not price.
If the cost of producing these shoes are high, apparently the selling price would be high. Overhead cost is the determinant of price.

Marketing and innovation is the heart of business, every other thing is a cost.

They were just greedy. Which leather are they buying?

They don’t even use metal inserts in their shoes or some or special stuff you find in designer shoes. It’s just leather, thread and sole.

Don’t even mention original or not original leather, how much did it cost me to change the upholstery of my car from fabric to leather, and the leather is still intact after the way my nephew and nieces play in the car to and from school.

Those guys wanted to make maximum profit from each shoe.

5 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Frankmome: 11:05am On Nov 16, 2019
mrgoodd:
You can’t make it with small scale importation, The fact is shipping cost and customs charges is enough to kill your business, Example you import 10 commodities and you re expecting 5k profit on each, So shipping alone drain like 3k as per calculation, So you think 20k that will be make for seven month on your importation is worth the stress, Your money will be tied down, If you even make that 20k you should be thanking God, If you can’t show your commodity in a place where people can see you and back it up with online store, you re down already , don’t let someone deceive you I have been there before, Not even this Buhari Era when everyone is ready to price thing to the lowest price, If you re not patient enough you will kill somebody because people will provoke you with worthless price, If you re starting with millions then it’s making sense. 2000 x 1000 pieces of commodities 2million profit, so keep your 500 thousand in peace, Don’t let scammers scam you, importation is not small scales talking from experience

I swear, this is nothing far from the true!!

1 Like

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 16, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Everything ain't about romance bro. I'm in mini importation, I buy from Aliexpress and recently started patronizing 1688. It's not easy I tell ya, but with perseverance and a good marketing strategy, u will prevail.
kindly Annalise how you did it, What's your profit margin, is your business capable to feed the family without support from anyone, This is a gathering of Business men and Women.

3 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by hustlelegit(m): 11:07am On Nov 16, 2019
All those shouting mini-importation blah blah, mini -importation is 100% a profitable business depending on how vast your knowledge is on the field. Most of you venture into mini-importation with no knowledge on digital marketing or social media marketing, and you keep advising people not to start and blah blah. Mtcheww. I ventured into mini importation,print on demand and drop shipping at the same time and my business was booming but I stopped cos facebook deactivated my facebook account and I had a balance of 100k in my ads account, so I just decided to put it at hold since I can't create facebook ads and instagram ads, google ads dey expensive and twitter so I ignore those two. Am still pleading facebook till dey open am back.
Don't mislead people, learn digital marketing and you will be able to sell things easily, Invest and learn. I bought courses and learnt alot, so even if you have 100k start importing and put aside 20k for advertising and learn social media ads, if you no get money to learn am, find person to help you run am. Use gig logistics for your local delivery and u go Dec enjoy ur business.
Once facebook activates my account, I will start a subscription platform and my main target will be USA, Europe ,Canada and Australia cos those countres can invest in anything. No money is small to start a business bro

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 16, 2019
mrgoodd:

kindly Annalise how you did it, What's your profit margin, is your business capable to feed the family without support from anyone, This is a gathering of Business men and Women.
Well, it's feeding me without support from anyone, heck it paid my rent! To think I even started it with 10k. Anyways, wish u d best

5 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Duane212(m): 11:09am On Nov 16, 2019
starpower:
We started selling China phones I bought from computer village 2008 from my records achieved 260k average monthly sales, gross profit 38%, net was like 16-18%. Save up built capital to 780k by late 2010(while preparing for waec). I wasn't experienced 18 years old then, gave a supplier 500k as the business was very cashflow positive, late 2010. I informed the idiot about Alibaba website to source from China, he said I should bring 500k and he brings 1.5million. Went back to him after much explanation. Told me they seized my goods but not his. Extorted me of another 80k for clearing, I wasn't even informing any one at home. He is late now, I took my experience and enter selling something else. I thank God for his blessings. If you need anything solar. Solartalkers dot com
how does this solar stuff work?
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 16, 2019
9ja083:

You are right. Am confused right now. This is my 1st importation business. I was told that buyers are there at the wolf. And immediately u clear ur goods from the custom, buyers will like to buy it immediately. And now this?
When you successfully sell your goods to awaiting buyers, kindly create a thread here and tag me , Let learn from you also

1 Like

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by xpresseeve: 11:13am On Nov 16, 2019
SendAbroad:

Careful...

I see how your body dey hot to buy bikes for bread delivery.

Ask yourself: how do you control the money from the bread items they go to supply?. That should be your number one worry.

I once had 10 bikes.. we were producing every day. Bike men will take supplies, come back give report that some customers bought on credit, some paid cash...submit invoice in office.

Next day same thing. One day, decided to audit all customers who invoices say owe credit. Turned out all customers buy and pay cash instantly, whilst bike men steal the cash and invoice credit to company .

Bros, thanks for this insight. But it has already been taken care of. Certain measures have been put in place already. This scenario has been envisioned previously and resolved .....to a large extent. I can share the dynamics briefly.

1.I have an absolutely no credit policy in place. No supply for you untill all the monies from the previous day sales have been remitted.

2. Where we o have a few credit customers we have a separate mechanism for getting the money. On no account does the bike man who sells the product on credit collect the money. He can only collect cash from immediate paying customers.

3. We also have a weekly commission structure in place.
This reward is paid out on Friday. If there is any credit to your name you forfeit your entire comossion for that week.

This has worked for the Van Sales reps so far and I do believe it can be replicated for the Bike Sales men.

The whole idea is to reduce the pilfering significantly with a view to eradicating it completely .....ultimately. And this is very possible.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by ManspaceBarber(m): 11:15am On Nov 16, 2019
NGRsenate:

They were just greedy. Which leather are they buying?

They don’t even use metal inserts in their shoes or some or special stuff you find in designer shoes. It’s just leather, thread and sole.

Don’t even mention original or not original leather, how much did it cost me to change the upholstery of my car from fabric to leather, and the leather is still intact after the way my nephew and nieces play in the car to and from school.

Those guys wanted to make maximum profit from each shoe.

I'm concerned about your own business (management) not theirs. If it costs you too high to get them produced the shoes, you will bear the cost when it's time to sell. You should have changed the supply link before things go south.
Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:20am On Nov 16, 2019
hustlelegit:
All those shouting mini-importation blah blah, mini -importation is 100% a profitable business depending on how vast your knowledge is on the field. Most of you venture into mini-importation with no knowledge on digital marketing or social media marketing, and you keep advising people not to start and blah blah. Mtcheww. I ventured into mini importation,print on demand and drop shipping at the same time and my business was booming but I stopped cos facebook deactivated my facebook account and I had a balance of 100k in my ads account, so I just decided to put it at hold since I can't create facebook ads and instagram ads, google ads dey expensive and twitter so I ignore those two. Am still pleading facebook till dey open am back.
Don't mislead people, learn digital marketing and you will be able to sell things easily, Invest and learn. I bought courses and learnt alot, so even if you have 100k start importing and put aside 20k for advertising and learn social media ads, if you no get money to learn am, find person to help you run am. Use gig logistics for your local delivery and u go Dec enjoy ur business.
Once facebook activates my account, I will start a subscription platform and my main target will be USA, Europe ,Canada and Australia cos those countres can invest in anything. No money is small to start a business bro
It's not just mini importation. Many Nigerians invest in businesses without thinking of how to market their products or services to get customers. They believe customers will fall from the sky.

6 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by Phil124: 11:24am On Nov 16, 2019
Jones4190:

there is oo my brother, infact that is my business, don't even go for the one of 100k, look for the one of 50k, buy two and give aboki to be delivery 6k each every week.
a bike for 50k can you tell me where I can get it

2 Likes

Re: What Lead To The Collapse Of Your First Business? by namiji2598: 11:27am On Nov 16, 2019
eventsmallchops:

a Nigerian labour union leader in Abuja, he's from Gombe state , a politician, why are you asking? the moment the government agency guys heard his name, they just laughed and switched to the woman side, that is Nigeria for you.
u still remember his name?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

I Over-scratched This N200 Glo Card -- Nairalanders, Please Comment / See Some Of Nigeria's Richest Men In One Photo / The Reason Why You Should Quit Gambling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.