Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,341 members, 7,808,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? (20557 Views)

How Much Did You Save Before Quitting Your Salary Job For Your Own Business? / Lady Quits Her £50k Job To Start Her Own Business, Buys Her 1st House At 25 / Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 3:11pm On Nov 11, 2019
Good day nairalanders.

I am in my final year and about to defend my project and would likely have a lecturing job after graduation.

My CGPA was good so I was not really surprised but the problem is that for the past three years I have bin thinking of starting my own business and grow my wealth, I have bin thinking of becoming financially independed and has decided that I'll not need a Job.

I somehow fancy the lifestyle of doing whatever I want to, going to work when I want to, closing from work when i want to, going for vacation when I want to and do not really like the idea of doing what others want me to.

But there is no capital right now and I have told my dad to raise me something which he said he doesn't have, though I have little savings which I could use to start something very small.

So my question is, should I accept the Job knowing that immediately I start seeing salary, I could forget my dreams, that fear keeps ringing or should I just start with the little knowing that it won't be enough for me at the moment but there is 100% hope I'll grow.

The fear is I am 26now, plan on getting married at 30(This is a must and cannot be compromised) cos I want to marry and just rest so I could chase my goal which from my own calculations could take another 25-30yrs of my life.

so I'll need to feed more mouth, but I can't tell if I'll be able to add one more mouth at my 30 but if I become a lecturer, I'll not have a problem.
I do not want to do the both. I just want to focus on my goals or the Job. Just humble opinion.

6 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Officialgarri: 3:43pm On Nov 11, 2019
You already gave us what you think of your business, and and the disadvantages of working under someone, yet you are asking us to discourage you

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Crixxx: 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
Starting up a business .. Ask Dangote

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by b0rn2fuck(m): 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
I have been doing business for sometimes now, its just that the challenges can make one commit suicide but I will never work for anyone because the freedom in owning your business sweet die

106 Likes 7 Shares

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Dididrumz(m): 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
Any one that comes first will be the starting point

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Siberia01(m): 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
lies

9 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by princeade86(m): 6:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
start a business if u have ur capital.

3 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Keziehenry(m): 6:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
Grab the job pls especially if it is a federal one.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by thesicilian: 6:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
There's no hard and fast rule about it. Some will take the job and save, plan for the business and when the business is taking shape they quit their job. Others might want to focus on the business ab initio. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.
Though it seems from your post you have already made up your mind.

36 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Bbbwings: 6:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
Well I'm thirty
and I'm only just starting figuring life out.
You will be alright.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by helinues: 6:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
White collar jobs Na More like modern day slavery..

Only if you have capital/technical know out to be your own boss.. There are so many jobs that do not require capital/much capital but you can only do that if you have a good reputation ( Honesty )

3rd party jobs by connecting buyers with sellers locally
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Coldie(m): 6:53pm On Nov 11, 2019
Start a business and still get your job. Business is unpredictable. You need a back up source of funds

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by EXLOVER(m): 6:53pm On Nov 11, 2019
If you don't have patience don't think of business o, people cashing out on business, if them tell you things they went through during the start you nor go believe. They are some business you will do you won't see market for one week, you will think you're in the wrong lane, but no it's patience.

And another if you want to do business, do something you have knowledge on, and not because you see people doing it and making profit from it.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Cityraph1122: 6:53pm On Nov 11, 2019
Do both

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by donstan18: 6:53pm On Nov 11, 2019
White collar job get level.

Buisness get level.

7 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by majekobaje1: 6:53pm On Nov 11, 2019
Oga follow your mind
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by InternetMap: 6:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
bb
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by preciouspumpkin: 6:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
Please take the job. Lecturing job is one of the most flexible jobs anyone can have. I know a lot of lecturers that have big companies and still lecture at the same time. You can build an empire while lecturing. My two cents

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
Bill Gates knew exactly what he was going to do when he dropped out of college. Micheal dell was already building and selling computers. They had a vision. All you have is the usual empty nonsense of not working for anyone, be your own boss.

You have not once alluded to the 'business' you plan on doing. All you have is the usual childish fantasies about being self employed.

Are you actually doing something that demonstrably makes money?

Are you sure you actually have a high cgpa?

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by ecclize: 6:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
go for the lecturing job save up and quit

9 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by uzomanny(m): 6:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
Take the offer, save enough cash, kick start your business while you still have your job

Having 2 sources of income is still okay

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nairaplus(m): 6:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
I have been thinking about an offer to become lecturer at my school for 3 years now. The thing is, take the job, but make sure you invest in a business preferably around that your school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by abbey621(m): 6:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
If the job is guaranteed, take it. You'll earn valuable income and savings needed to propel your business idea into existence. Trust me without capital, you're on a long thing. Do not borrow money to start a business, do not tell your parents or anyone to raise you. Work for it, you'll appreciate the value in the long run! You are still young hence working for a few years will not detract you from your entrepreneurial dreams.

7 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Ukwueze123: 6:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
I think you should take firm decision on what you actually like doing.Blessings belong to God.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Jh0wsef(m): 6:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
well, personally. I prefer being an entrepreneur, saves you a lot of stress getting under pressure.

I own my own graphic design business. I started small. but thank God for I am today.

yes, if you need good branding for your business to expand your audience, feel free to contact.

If you also want to learn how to earn through designing with your smartphone and being your own boss, slide in smiley

3 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Olalan(m): 6:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
Business is sweet when you have other sources of income to nurture it at the growing stages........
BTW how much capital do you have to start up......don't be deceived by the motivational talks of starting small cause you won't be able to survive competitors who start big.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by pjc(m): 6:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
Lecturing isn't much time consuming, besides I don't really see it as same with other white collar jobs. You have more flexibility, you get paid monthly, add the fulfillment from being able to make positive impact in people's lives too. You can consider combining teaching and running your business, employ someone to assist during your busy hours likely.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by ecclize: 6:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
ornicus:
Bill Gates knew exactly what he was going to do when he dropped out of college. Micheal dell was already building and selling computers. They had a vision. All you have is the usual empty nonsense of not working for anyone, be your own boss.

You have not once alluded to the 'business' you plan on doing. All you have is the usual childish fantasies about being self employed.

Are you actually doing something that demonstrably makes money?

Are you sure you actually have a high cgpa?
did he asked for too much?

2 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Pavillon: 6:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
in a nutshell, u are contemplating on rejecting the job offer( lecturer) for a biz which u dont even have capital and dont know where to get capital and also considering your 4yrs plan?

nlander, What do we say to the god of Unemployment and hunger?

14 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Ayomarcel(m): 6:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
It all depends on the money involved and the dream about it. Which one is more productive and likely to be bigger.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Workers Observe Christmas Without December Salaries / The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. / Unsatisfied With Your Income? Here’s How You Can Improve It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.