Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,919 members, 7,806,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? (20552 Views)

How Much Did You Save Before Quitting Your Salary Job For Your Own Business? / Lady Quits Her £50k Job To Start Her Own Business, Buys Her 1st House At 25 / Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by TwoBottles: 6:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
cool
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by johnnyn1(m): 6:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
Entrepreneurship is the way to go bro.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by murphyibiam15(m): 6:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
Coldie:
Start a business and still get your job. Business is unpredictable. You need a back up source of funds
dukeprince50 kindly take the above advice, you can actually combine both.. business is not as easy as you think, you need a backup..cheers!

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Etisoul(m): 7:00pm On Nov 11, 2019
Grab job. Establish business. It gets better if it is a Fed Govt job.

2 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Gerrard59(m): 7:00pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

I am in my final year and about to defend my project, My HOD called me few months ago and told me my school has plans to retain me.

My CGPA was good so I was not really surprised but the problem is that for the past three years I have bin thinking of starting my own business and grow my wealth, I have bin thinking of becoming financially independed and has decided that I'll not need a Job.

I somehow fancy the lifestyle of doing whatever I want to, going to work when I want to, closing from work when i want to, going for vacation when I want to and do not really like the idea of doing what others want me to.

But there is no capital right now and I have told my dad to raise me something which he said he doesn't have, though I have little savings which I could use to start something very small.

So my question is, should I accept the Job knowing that immediately I start seeing salary, I could forget my dreams, that fear keeps ringing or should I just start with the little knowing that it won't be enough for me at the moment but there is 100% hope I'll grow.

The fear is I am 26now, plan on getting married at 30(This is a must and cannot be compromised) cos I want to marry and just rest so I could chase my goal which from my own calculations could take another 25-30yrs of my life.

so I'll need to feed more mouth, but I can't tell if I'll be able to add one more mouth at my 30 but if I become a lecturer, I'll not have a problem.
I do not want to do the both. I just want to focus on my goals or the Job. Just humble opinion.

Take the job and raise money (basically through savings) for the business. A job as a lecturer if I'm not mistaken gives one time for other activities and you could use this time to taste the waters of your proposed business.

Regarding the bold, I don't know who lied to you but you would have no time for yourself especially in the initial stage of the business. You would have to respond to customers, debtors, lenders, suppliers, landlords, regulators at whatever time they want you to respond to them. About marriage and managing the business, please note that the business is a separate entity from you and your activities.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by GeoAfrikana(m): 7:01pm On Nov 11, 2019
Crixxx:
Starting up a business .. Ask Dangote

I'm almost sure that 90% of businesses don't make 30k monthly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Mariangeles(f): 7:02pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

I am in my final year and about to defend my project, My HOD called me few months ago and told me my school has plans to retain me.

My CGPA was good so I was not really surprised but the problem is that for the past three years I have bin thinking of starting my own business and grow my wealth, I have bin thinking of becoming financially independed and has decided that I'll not need a Job.

I somehow fancy the lifestyle of doing whatever I want to, going to work when I want to, closing from work when i want to, going for vacation when I want to and do not really like the idea of doing what others want me to.

But there is no capital right now and I have told my dad to raise me something which he said he doesn't have, though I have little savings which I could use to start something very small.

So my question is, should I accept the Job knowing that immediately I start seeing salary, I could forget my dreams, that fear keeps ringing or should I just start with the little knowing that it won't be enough for me at the moment but there is 100% hope I'll grow.

The fear is I am 26now, plan on getting married at 30(This is a must and cannot be compromised) cos I want to marry and just rest so I could chase my goal which from my own calculations could take another 25-30yrs of my life.

so I'll need to feed more mouth, but I can't tell if I'll be able to add one more mouth at my 30 but if I become a lecturer, I'll not have a problem.
I do not want to do the both. I just want to focus on my goals or the Job. Just humble opinion.
YOU CAN DO BOTH!
Make the most of yourself and your ability.
The only limitation is yourself.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by nauto5: 7:05pm On Nov 11, 2019
In Nigeria

You need all
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Reffone: 7:06pm On Nov 11, 2019
If u don't have enough capital don't go into business oob
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by yusluvad(m): 7:08pm On Nov 11, 2019
Take the job first, you can diversify to business later.

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by FakeManna: 7:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
[s]
helinues:
White collar jobs Na More like modern day slavery..

Only if you have capital/technical know out to be your own boss.. There are so many jobs that do not require capital/much capital but you can only do that if you have a good reputation ( Honesty )

3rd party jobs by connecting buyers with sellers locally
[/s]
keep deceiving yourself

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by bigfrancis21: 7:18pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

I’ll advice you from experience. The entrepreneurship world isn’t easy. Any new business venture you start would need, on average, 3 to 5 years to establish and be stable to the point that you get to enjoy the perks of having to your own business, which you listed up there. You'll spend your first few months to years extremely dedicating time, energy and resources to getting it off the ground. Yes there are a few people who do amazingly well at their first attempt in business but they are outliers and majority don’t experience this easy success.

Pick a business venture that you have solid passion for. This is because you’ll experience down times as well as up times and during those down times your passion for the business will keep you going.

Any good business needs capital as well as experience. Since you’re just starting out with little or no capital, I strongly recommend that you take the lectureship job as a way of building some capital as well has having funds to live on. Also being a lecturer (where you teach twice or thrice a week) affords you enough time to start and run a business on the side and you can slowly transition to your business full time once your income from it exceeds your lectureship income.

4 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Dekingmoses(m): 7:18pm On Nov 11, 2019
b0rn2fuck:
I have been doing business for sometimes now, its just that the challenges can make one commit suicide but I will never work for anyone because the freedom in owning your business sweet die
i can relate to this , most especialy if it is a borrowed capital. but business is stil d best
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by addexx: 7:18pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

Bro be calm. I'd say if you don't have a good capital of 150 to 200k and above depending on the business , accept job for a year or 18 months. The way naija is , if you're broke and trying to set up business, you'll die frustrated. So give yourself time to raise a sizable amount while putting lot of research on the business you wanna start. Enjoy the process, learn and grow within one year. Then you quit, you know you're fully prepared and no force on earth will stand in your way.

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 11, 2019
@op,If your dreams were about "passion" for the work you want to do,I would've told you to go for entrepreneurship.But your dreams are about gaining more "wealth",I give no vote of confidence.

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by tallfish145(m): 7:20pm On Nov 11, 2019
self employment if you have the capital . have graduated long time ago without a job but now I am happily dependent and can spend money on whatever I can get after setting up my business venture tagged OTUNBA BUSINESS VENTURE, a Mobile money business where I made about 1500 to 2000 a day and still boast of 30k commission at the end of the month.
living a happy life now

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by iLegendd(m): 7:21pm On Nov 11, 2019
None of them is good — staying idol is the deal.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 7:21pm On Nov 11, 2019
Etisoul:
Grab job. Establish business. It gets better if it is a Fed Govt job.
Its a state school
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by tallfish145(m): 7:23pm On Nov 11, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

I'm almost sure that 90% of businesses don't make 30k monthly.
sure? I made more than that
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 7:23pm On Nov 11, 2019
emddi:
@op,If your dreams were about "passion" for the work you want to do,I would've told you to go for entrepreneurship.But your dreams are about gaining more "wealth",I give no vote of confidence.
its not passion but gaining wealth, you can say passion for wealth

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 7:24pm On Nov 11, 2019
addexx:

Bro be calm. I'd say if you don't have a good capital of 150 to 200k and above depending on the business , accept job for a year or 18 months. The way naija is , if you're broke and trying to set up business, you'll die frustrated. So give yourself time to raise a sizable amount while putting lot of research on the business you wanna start. Enjoy the process, learn and grow within one year. Then you quit, you know you're fully prepared and no force on earth will stand in your way.
thanks
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 7:27pm On Nov 11, 2019
bigfrancis21:

I’ll advice you from experience. The entrepreneurship world isn’t easy. Any new business venture you start would need, on average, 3 to 5 years to establish and be stable to the point that you get to enjoy the perks of having to your own business, which you listed up there. You'll spend your first few months to years extremely dedicating time, energy and resources to getting it off the ground. Yes there are a few people who do amazingly well at their first attempt in business but they are outliers and majority don’t experience this easy success.

Pick a business venture that you have solid passion for. This is because you’ll experience down times as well as up times and during those down times your passion for the business will keep you going.

Any good business needs capital as well as experience. Since you’re just starting out with little or no capital, I strongly recommend that you take the lectureship job as a way of building some capital as well has having funds to live on. Also being a lecturer (where you teach twice or thrice a week) affords you enough time to start run a business on the side and you can slowly transition to your business full time once your income from it exceeds your lectureship income.
I have capital that could feed me, I just felt it won't be much to add another mouth
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by BrainSanitizer: 7:30pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

If you're offered a lecturing job, take it. Most lecturers that I know are business men and women as well.
You may just be on your way to becoming an employee and an entrepreneur if you plan it well.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by OgogoroFreak(m): 7:31pm On Nov 11, 2019
Make money as a lecturer first cos that one sure. Business no sure o, bro.

You can still start a your business alongside lecturing and if the business goes well and only needs more of your time to grow bigger, you can quit the lecturing job.

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Angelawhite(m): 7:31pm On Nov 11, 2019
Mr man, grab that offer while it lasts. You’re still young and think you can afford to take some risks. If you know how hard it is to find Job, you won’t even contemplate rejecting the offer. As people have said, get the job, work for a few years and gain enough maturity and capital to start ur own business

3 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
its not passion but gaining wealth, you can say passion for wealth
If it's passion for wealth,then don't do entrepreneurship.But if it is passion for solving a problem,then go for it.
The truth is you make more money when you have passion for solving problems than passion for wealth

3 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 7:33pm On Nov 11, 2019
BrainSanitizer:

If you're offered a lecturing job, take it. Most lecturers that I know are business men and women as well.
You may just be on your way to becoming an employee and an entrepreneur if you plan it well.
Good luck.
Thanks, I'll just take it and start, den quit after 4-5years so I can devote my time into something else

4 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by sylve11: 7:33pm On Nov 11, 2019
b0rn2fuck:
I have been doing business for sometimes now, its just that the challenges can make one commit suicide but I will never work for anyone because the freedom in owning your business sweet die

my man, knack us story. cool
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 7:34pm On Nov 11, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
Make money as a lecturer first cos that one sure. Business no sure o, bro.

You can still start a your business alongside lecturing and if the business goes well and only needs more of your time to grow bigger, you can quit the lecturing job.
its a great advice, thanks for ur comment.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by sylve11: 7:36pm On Nov 11, 2019
EXLOVER:

And another if you want to do business, do something you have knowledge on, and not because you see people doing it and making profit from it.

Even if you don't have knowledge, experience will surely shape you. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Workers Observe Christmas Without December Salaries / The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. / Unsatisfied With Your Income? Here’s How You Can Improve It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.