Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy (53966 Views)

12-Year-Old Chika Ofili Awarded In UK For His New Discovery In Maths / The Formula For Finding Simple Interest Is Not PRT/100. / Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by IdioticNLmods: 12:18pm On Nov 13, 2019
gulfer:
He tried, I think these numbers were specially selected. Oya, let him divide 123 by 7 na
Obviously 27 cannot be divided by 7..
The idea is to make you easily identify a number that can be divided by 7
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by uzohrome(m): 12:19pm On Nov 13, 2019
darfay:

More like Britain amaka..... Please y'all better stop with this tribal shit, this is not a tribal or communal glory, it's an individual and national glory for Britain. Fix your life so you don't come here to brag about others in the name of this amaka or omo Yoruba that

This can not stop the fact that Igbo Amaka. He is not sentimental or tribalistic. Igbo Amaka Is an established fact. If you are not comfortable with it then Ga tieeeisi na wall.
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by hardbody: 12:20pm On Nov 13, 2019
ola33t:
shocked

It's not really a formula, it's more of a conjecture, just like Collatz conjecture. It's more befitting calling it the Chika conjecture. That sounds more proper and would also give his work more popularity. Congrats to Chika.
To give more popularity and value to Chika's discovery, a competition could be put out to professionals all over the world, with a reward for anyone who could find any integer which doesn't follow the conjecture.

Having discovered different conjectures personally in the past, I can say Mathematics is the language of the universe.
All things in life are based on mathematical scales and ratios. The shape of flowers, sizes, radius, scale and ratio of the body parts etc

The Golden ratio, Fibonacci numbers are all cool mathematical discoveries that anyone can measure out and confirm the authenticity on their bodies with the use of a ruler or measuring tape.

Write in English wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by Leksidebolton(m): 12:21pm On Nov 13, 2019
So those that cant even write their name on deposit slip at bank arent igbo ?
BIGPREEQ:
Igbo champ with brains

See as the boy even cute seff
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by Dechymmytv(f): 12:21pm On Nov 13, 2019
Mrshape:
A lot of us have been requesting for the formula of chika
Even someone said want does a Small boy of 12years know to discover something I. Maths.

Someone just sent me a copy here on Niaraland.
I found out that is more than a formula. It is a test and a pattern.

As a matter of fact, I have just learnt it and a lot of my students too, have started using it.

Yes he solved a problem.

Numbers that 2,3,5,10, can divide can be easily identified.
But number that 7 and 11 can divide other their are other ways to identify it
But it hardly stick.

But this chika's test I just so easy in that if reduce the large number to smaller easy to comprehend numbers of which a decision can be easily made, here is the formula if you have any step u don't understand I will be glad to explain what master chika's test for u.
op try and read what you wrote... Ah, and you say you have students

2 Likes

Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by IdioticNLmods: 12:21pm On Nov 13, 2019
YorubaPrince:
Not new... I also discovered a formula at age 7. angry

Anything multiplied by 11.... See below.

Example.... 43*11 = 4[4+3]3 = 473; 24*11 = 2[2+4]4 = 264.

Any question? angry
Thief.. Jealousy wan finish you.
Every dull brain knew that trick
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by aod1(m): 12:25pm On Nov 13, 2019
gulfer:
He tried, I think these numbers were specially selected. Oya, let him divide 123 by 7 na
dont be an olodo, the aim was not to divide to get an answer, it was to check if it could divide without a remainder...
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by IdioticNLmods: 12:26pm On Nov 13, 2019
Mrshape:

Yes I am a maths teacher and I am interested in numbers and pattern
Not a limited language called English.
Sorry for your brain crash, try to restore it as quick possible
Dull people full nairaland.. I understood your post perfectly. Not great at mathematics tho but i was once a guru in physics.
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by Mrshape: 12:26pm On Nov 13, 2019
Dechymmytv:
op try and read what you wrote... Ah, and you say you have students
I ust read it for the first time when people started complaining about it.
But unfortunately I can't edit it again, the mod can only edit fronts page post

2 Likes

Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by aod1(m): 12:27pm On Nov 13, 2019
ola33t:
shocked

It's not really a formula, it's more of a conjecture, just like Collatz conjecture. It's more befitting calling it the Chika conjecture. That sounds more proper and would also give his work more popularity. Congrats to Chika.
To give more popularity and value to Chika's discovery, a competition could be put out to professionals all over the world, with a reward for anyone who could find any integer which doesn't follow the conjecture.

Having discovered different conjectures personally in the past, I can say Mathematics is the language of the universe.
All things in life are based on mathematical scales and ratios. The shape of flowers, sizes, radius, scale and ratio of the body parts etc

The Golden ratio, Fibonacci numbers are all cool mathematical discoveries that anyone can measure out and confirm the authenticity on their bodies with the use of a ruler or measuring tape.
like the fermat's theorem which took 300years before anyone could prove.
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by mxgospel(m): 12:36pm On Nov 13, 2019
ChukfukaChukfuk:
grin
Impressive
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by mxgospel(m): 12:36pm On Nov 13, 2019
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by ValeeLove(m): 12:36pm On Nov 13, 2019
No vex but the English is bad o.

1 Like

Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by Weirdgee: 12:43pm On Nov 13, 2019
Nice one boy.

1 Like

Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by BIGPREEQ: 1:00pm On Nov 13, 2019
Bryan88:
but ur own na to dey carry big priq up and down dey find woman u go drill wit am.... grin

grin grin No na you I go drill
Nonsense..
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by Kylekent59: 1:13pm On Nov 13, 2019
REDshouse:
u weren't the one that discover this I also know about it since I was in primary sch ....

Yea, like for three digits

111 * 11 = 1[1+1][1+1]1 =1221

456*11 = 4[4+5][5+6]6= 4(9)(11)6= 5016 how??

borrow one 1 from (11) add it to 9 it gives 10. borrow one from (10) leaving the zero and add it to 4 = 5.

897*11 =8[8+9][9+7]7 = 9867 how?

8[17][16]7

borrow one from 16 leaving behind only 6, add it to 17= 18. Borrow that one from 18 leaving behind 8, then add it to the 8= 8+1 = 9

Therefore 9867

For 4 digits?

2222* 11= 2[2+2][2+2][2+2][2+2]2 =244442

Oya try 9876* 11 since you know it grin
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by JJOF(m): 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2019
gulfer:
I guess you don't understand the post.
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by Eberex(m): 1:50pm On Nov 13, 2019
This is a further test to prove that this universe is governed by a formula. Nothing happens by chance. There is a reason why it is happening.

We need to appreciate the early scientists; Isaac Newton, Faraday, and the rest.
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by GMacbeth: 1:57pm On Nov 13, 2019
[quote author=YorubaPrince post=83985255]Not new... I also discovered a formula at age 7. angry

Yes 5*11 how do your formula solve 5*11
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by MARVELLOUS04: 2:00pm On Nov 13, 2019
MARVTECH Digital Service ™
Sell your book direct-to-readers and earn more profits, get paid faster, and maintain control of your work.
Sell your book.
Sell your music
Sell your products

Our customer service
Access Amazon's world-class customer service and fulfillment support. We handle the payment, shipping, and all customer service issues, including returns.

Metadata Optimization
Get your book to be easily searched and found on Amazon, Google, and other popular online destinations. Get discovered.

Book Marketing Services
Partner with book promotion experts and learn how to sell your book like the pros. Get noticed.

Facebook & Instagram Ads for Authors
Promote your book on Facebook and Instagram—two of the most popular social platforms. Find more readers
Contact Marvtech Network Solution
email:marvtechnetworksolution@gmail.com
+2348077824698
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by kolawo(m): 2:04pm On Nov 13, 2019
it's an amazing discovery. and I have no doubt chika's work will find application in engineering, statistics, and management soonest.
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by Dechymmytv(f): 2:14pm On Nov 13, 2019
Mrshape:

I ust read it for the first time when people started complaining about it.
But unfortunately I can't edit it again, the mod can only edit fronts page post
pele
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by sleekman(m): 2:17pm On Nov 13, 2019
Abeg go sikodo go one corner. Which one you discover? Yeye thing

indoorlove:
He tried as a 12 years old boy. However there are many of such things on the internet. Rules of divisibility is the first thing you learn in number theory. I.e divisibility by 2,3.......11

1 Like

Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by jkbee(m): 2:23pm On Nov 13, 2019
YorubaPrince:
Not new... I also discovered a formula at age 7. angry

Any question? angry

Good one... But unfortunately you in Nigeria.... Discoveries are swept under carpet.
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by OyiboOyibo(m): 2:30pm On Nov 13, 2019
Nigerian kid, Chika propounds new maths formula

A Nigerian boy, Chika Ofili, has been recognised by the Westminster Under School, London, UK for propounding a new mathematical formula in solving number divisibility especially of 7.
In a test assessed by Miss Mary Ellis , his Mathematics teacher, who is also the author of ‘The Aliens Have Landed and 174 Other Problems’ book, Chika was able to solve a divisibility problem associated with number 7 in mathematics.

According to her, “Something very exciting happened last Friday when one of my pupils, Chika Ofili, popped into the classroom and asked if he could tell me something he had thought of over the summer holidays. I was intrigued.”

The Westminster Under School is an independent preparatory school for boys aged 7 to 13, in the heart of London.
She continued: “I had given him a book called First Steps for Problem Solvers (published by the UKMT) to look at over the holidays and inside the book was a list of the divisibility tests, which are used to quickly work out whether a number is exactly divisible by either 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 before you actually start dividing. Except that there was no test listed for checking divisibility by 7. The reason why it was missing is because there is no easy or memorable test for dividing by 7, or so I thought!
WUS
@WestminsterUS
Here is Chika in front of his discovery! See the full proof here:
westminsterunder.org.uk/announcements/
280 16:29 - 20 Sep 2019
133 people are talking about this
“In a bored moment, Chika had turned his mind to the problem and this is what he came up with. He realised that if you take the last digit of any whole number, multiply it by 5 and then add this to the remaining part of the number, you will get a new number. And it turns out that if this new number is divisible by 7, then the original number is divisible by 7. What an easy test!”
She added that Chika demonstrated his test in class, saying “no one could find a counter-example to disprove it.”
For example, take the number 532
53 + 2 x 5 = 63
63 is a multiple of 7, so 532 is a multiple of 7 (and therefore divisible by 7)
Or take the number 987
98 + 7 x 5 = 133
13 + 3 x 5 = 28
28 is a multiple of 7, so both 133 and 987 are multiples of 7
In fact, if you actually keep going, you will always end up with either 7 or 49, if the original number is divisible by 7.
For example, take the number 2996
299 + 6 x 5 = 329
32 + 9 x 5 = 77
7 + 7 x 5 = 42
4 + 2 x 5 = 14
1 + 4 x 5 = 21
2 + 1 x 5 = 7
7 is a multiple of 7 and so is 21, 14, 42, 77, 329 and the original number 2996.
The opposite is also true in that if you don’t end up with a multiple of 7, then the original number is not divisible by 7.
For example, take the number 114
11 + 4 x 5 = 31
3 + 1 x 5 = 8
And since 8 is clearly not divisible by 7, neither is 31 nor our original number 114.
“But mathematically, we needed to find a proof. Once a theorem is proved mathematically it will always be true. Pythagoras proved his famous theorem over 2,500 years and when he died, he knew it would never be disproved. It is important to realise that a result cannot be proved by finding thousands or even millions of results which support it.
“I woke up early on Saturday morning still thinking about Chika’s test and rang my younger brother, Simon Ellis, who also happens to teach Maths, and asked him if he had ever come across the test. He hadn’t and immediately set about trying to write a proof.
“An hour later he sent me a watertight algebraic proof! He also discovered that the test works if you start by multiplying the last digit by 12, 19, 26, 33 … and then add it to the remaining part of the number. And furthermore, it works if you double the last digit and then subtract it from the remaining part of the number, or if you multiply the last digit by 9, 16, 23, 30 … and subtract. And actually the doubling and subtracting test can be easily found on the internet.
“But we both agreed multiplying the last digit by 5 and adding it to the remaining part of the number is much more appealing!
“Mr O’Donnell urged me to tell the school about Chika’s discovery, so an impromptu demonstration followed in Monday’s assembly. We are now trying to figure out how to make this test more widely known, as it is so simple that it really should be taught alongside the other divisibility tests,” she wrote on the school’s website .

2 Likes

Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by Myself2(m): 2:30pm On Nov 13, 2019
Hey nairalanders click like if you know you do not understand that formula the boy wrote
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by nextstep(m): 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2019
Sad to say this, but I was able to find this rule on an old edit of the wikipedia page dating to 2011.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Divisibility_rule&oldid=444096816

I'm not sure what's going on. This has really dampened my enthusiasm from earlier on when I wrote:

[s]This is utterly amazing. It's not an easy rule to derive, but once you realize it. Brilliant.

Basically, take the first N numbers (all but the last), then sum those with the last number times 5

e.g. 938.

93 + 8 x 5 = 133
13 + 3 x 5 = 28 (which we know is 7x4)

But going further, I wondered if you'll eventually arrive at 7.
2 + 4 x 5 = 42
4 + 2 x 5 = 14
1 + 4 x 5 = 21
2 + 1 x 5 = 7

This guy is an absolute genius! [/s]

2 Likes

Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by YorubaPrince: 2:43pm On Nov 13, 2019
[quote author=GMacbeth post=83991024][/quote]

Yes 5*11 how do your formula solve 5*11

The single digits are pretty straightforward hence why you need the formula You don't need a formula for simple arithmetic... just repeat the single digit number...

5*11 = 55,
7*11 = 77

OR...

5*11 = 0(0+5)5 = 055 OR 55. cool
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by YorubaPrince: 2:48pm On Nov 13, 2019
IdioticNLmods:

Thief.. Jealousy wan finish you.
Every dull brain knew that trick

Really? I've got a trick for complex multiplications.

Since every dull brain knew it like you said... can you tell me about the 12x, 13x, 14, 15x etc...

Rubbish! angry
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by henrijin: 2:57pm On Nov 13, 2019
Las las. Dangote does not know this but...
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by salford1: 3:12pm On Nov 13, 2019
Mrshape:

Yes he solved a problem.

Numbers that 2,3,5,10, can divide can be easily identified.
But number that 7 and 11 can divide other their are other ways to identify it
But it hardly stick.

He is smart, no doubt about that. I am just seeing this divisibility rule for the first time, but just as you mentioned, there are other ways to test for divisibility of 7. He created additional solution to a problem that already had a solution. This formula is easy to comprehend too. The well known method is shorter and faster to solve though, and you can deduce from the first line instead of the multiple lines Chika uses.

I am suprised no one as discovered this pattern already, as it's very simple.
Re: Chika Ofili's Mathematics Test: The Formula Of The 12-Year-Old Nigerian Boy by Goldencheese(m): 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2019
Proud o' you!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Laptop Fee In UNN Causes Hardship Among Students (photos) / 7-Year-Old Son Demands Iphone From His Father, And His Father Demands This. / Unizik 2012/2013 Post Utme & Admission Update.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.