Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (22259 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by NnamdiN: 8:03am On Nov 13, 2019
Were you guys paying rent as at when due? I know people that were owed rent for years and after trying to no avail to get their money, they sold the house without informing their tenants. Now they all have money to pay rent elsewhere embarassed
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by jamace(m): 8:03am On Nov 13, 2019
iammo:
cool

This is why i always tell people Real Estate businnes is a shitty investment

dealing with some entitled dingbat tenant would kill you easily

You can echo that again. Many house owners have developed High BP due to stress from non-paying tenants and some even died.

4 Likes

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by iammo(m): 8:04am On Nov 13, 2019
safarigirl:
he has possessory rights as a tenant and should be made privy to any drastic changes that would affect the property.

He need not be the owner to be concerned.

under which law madam? because such nonesense you typed isnt captured under Nigeria's Land Use Act of 1978 or any other law for that matter

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Saao(m): 8:05am On Nov 13, 2019
The landlord ought to give you quit notice but since he didn't. Refer back to your tenancy agreement. For the new owner, he has no business with you, he can take possession of his property when he deem fit so get prepare to move out.

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Philinho(m): 8:07am On Nov 13, 2019
Since you have not been formally informed, just calm down.Perhaps he'd informed d new owner about you all and also when your rent will all expire.,Pray and also plan.. Thanks
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by onyeali(m): 8:07am On Nov 13, 2019
Don't pay rent yet until you finds out the true nature of things in that property. If you must be evicted in that property, you must be given quit notice.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by safarigirl(f): 8:07am On Nov 13, 2019
iammo:

under which law madam? because such nonesense you typed isnt captured under Nigeria's Land Use Act of 1978 or any other law for that matter
K.

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 13, 2019
Op, you have a good case. A very solid one. Don't allow people to use the way things have been done in this zoo of a country to bamboozle you. There is a minimum length of period you are to be given notice before they send you out of the house. But before you act based on that, check your tenancy agreement: if it stipulates that your tenancy automatically expires at the end of the period for which rent is paid, then you don't have much of a case. What you have in that regard is to look for a new apartment. And you only have a case if the new owner or the old insists you move out before December ending.

You can clarify from the new property owner if he intends to keep the tenants, and if not you should start scouting for a new place.

In any case, walk up to a law firm with experience in tenancy agreement and all and seek their legal opinion.

Simpubozz:
Please, lawyers in the house, i write to seek advice on this pressing issue.

Just of recent, we discovered the house where i rented a room has been sold. Though we have been hearing the rumor since last year but none of the landlords confirmed the rumor either through a letter or any other notification, not until today when a Tipper truck came to offload sand at entrance of the house.

The said house has been managed by Administrator General and Public Trustee of Lagos State over the years and this public Trustee department has been the one collecting rent. Again, they didn't not notify us through any formal means the intention to sell the property. Meanwhile, my rent will be due by December.

In as much as i don't have anything against the landlords selling the house, but i have these questions:

1. Shouldn't there be a prior and formal notification to sell the house?
2. Shouldn't there be a Quit Notice served to the tenants?
3. What step can i take to ensure my tenancy right is not cheated?
Please, your contribution is highly appreciated, because it seems they want to eject everybody out of the house in a very short time.

Mod please it will do me good if i can get more contributions by taking this to the front page. Thank you.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Royalfurnitures: 8:08am On Nov 13, 2019
Go to court or mediation center to seek for redress

Check out my signature for good quality furniture for your homes and offices
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by colestephan86: 8:09am On Nov 13, 2019
Simpubozz:

Just of recent, we discovered the house where i rented a room has been sold. Though we have been hearing the rumor since last year but none of the landlords confirmed the rumor either through a letter or any other notification, not until today when a Tipper truck came to offload sand at entrance of the house.

The said house has been managed by Administrator General and Public Trustee of Lagos State over the years and this public Trustee department has been the one collecting rent. Again, they didn't not notify us through any formal means the intention to sell the property. Meanwhile, my rent will be due by December.

In as much as i don't have anything against the landlords selling the house, but i have these questions:

Please, your contribution is highly appreciated, because it seems they want to eject everybody out of the house in a very short time.

Mod please it will do me good if i can get more contributions by taking this to the front page. Thank you.
A landlord can sell his or her house at any time, but the moment the house has tenants , notices should be served all tenants as regards the development.
There are tenancy laws in Lagos, and I assure you they are strict only if you are willing to go for it. No one can just throw you out of your rented apartment without notice.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Olamsoh: 8:10am On Nov 13, 2019
Kelvin30286063:
Hmm, you're leaving in December, have that at the back of your mind and start looking for house. There is no point making a biggie out of this.
Though what they did is wrong, but you really don't want to start spending money on lawsuit do you?
Like you said, the rumour have been on for over a year so you should have prepared for the inevitable somehow
Lawyer no go chop, Haba!
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by adisabarber(m): 8:12am On Nov 13, 2019
Why should the owner inform you before selling his house? Ownership has changed and you have been informed. That is all that matters.

Simpubozz:

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 13, 2019
iammo:

safarigirl:
i

Land use act does not regulate tenancy on real property. It covers government take over of land, transfer of legal and equitable title in land, mortgage and vests ownership of all state land in the governor of a state or federal land in the minister of the FCT.

It is also important to mention to you that there is no one superior source of law in Nigeria. Though it may not be provided for by a statute enacted by the legislature in Lagos State (which I doubt), the received in English Law(common law and doctrine of equity) has made provisions for that situation. Case law is another source of law.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by money121(m): 8:16am On Nov 13, 2019
Ok
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by lympy: 8:16am On Nov 13, 2019
Visit any of the Lagos State Mediation Centers closest to you. Report the matter, summon the Landlord, thank me later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by adisabarber(m): 8:16am On Nov 13, 2019
Saao:
The landlord ought to give you quit notice but since he didn't. Refer back to your tenancy agreement. For the new owner, he has no business with you, he can take possession of his property when he deem fit so get prepare to move out.

They have not even asked the OP to leave the house so what exactly is he trying to sue for?

2 Likes

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by adisabarber(m): 8:17am On Nov 13, 2019
lympy:
Visit any of the Lagos State Mediation Centers closest to you. Report the matter, summon the Landlord, thank me later.

Report the landlord for selling his house?

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by iammo(m): 8:17am On Nov 13, 2019
read and cure your self of ignorance

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Land%20Use%20Act.htm

Freehuman:

Land use act does not regulate tenancy on real property. It covers government take over of land, transfer of legal and equitable title in land, mortgage and vests ownership of all state land in the governor of a state or federal land in the minister of the FCT.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by ucheo: 8:18am On Nov 13, 2019
As a real estate consultant..d landlord ought to have informed you guys in writing that he wants to sell and also the available price, as rich tenants can sue the landlord and buyer demanding the right of sale.
Most times landlords erroneuosly assumes the tenants cant afford to buy the houses.
2ndly if they are unable to buy the house, the new buyer will give 1 or 3 months notice demading on whether the tenants pays the previous landlord monthly or yearly.
Lastly the new ówner might not want to wait for long, he can negotiate with the tenants give them like 3 months rent to help them pack out quick(based on negotiation and understanding.) to enable him start repairs.
Just pack out bro, trouble doesnt pay..lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by teemy(m): 8:18am On Nov 13, 2019
@Simpubozz let me tell you a story.

A wealthy tenant was informed by his landlord of an increase in rent at next tenure. He wondered at this and did a research which revealed the landlord was in dire need of money.

He bought the house off his landlord at about half market price. Then resold at market price to another buyer. In between this however, as the landlord, he reissued a lease to himself at a very 'generous' rate for a good number of years. This meant that the latest landlord would have to bear with his tenure till it lapses.

The story here is if there is a tenure in place, the new landlord cannot flout it. The old landlord cannot renew your tenure legally. The key thing is to ask your old landlord the situation on ground and if you can be linked to the new landlord, you can set a new period.

However, if your cotenants have been known to be defaulters, there is a chance the kid will be thrown out with the bath water and no one would be spared. As long as you are not owning, you can stay till your tenure lapses. Find out whom THE landlord is and make your own deal.

Wishing you well - Teemy
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 13, 2019
iammo:
read and cure your self of ignorance

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Land%20Use%20Act.htm

safarigirl:
ii
I have added important messages to school your lay man ass at the previous post. Please sir, give me the section of the Land Use Act that regulates tenancy.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by iammo(m): 8:23am On Nov 13, 2019
why dont you read like i asked you

Freehuman:

I have added important messages to school your lay man ass at the previous post. Please sir, give me the section of the Land Use Act that regulates tenancy.

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 13, 2019
iammo:
why dont you read like i asked you

safarigirl:
iii

Please go and read those sections yourself. Since the Land Use Act vests radical ownership of all land in a state in the governor of a state, the highest right an individual can posses in land is a right of occupancy. The rent referred to in that section is the rent a governor receives to grant right of occupancy and other rights. It's more of a tax but termed rent.

Please go to those sections and show me where it regulates tenancy between individuals.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Geosystem(m): 8:34am On Nov 13, 2019
iammo:
cool

dealing with some entitled dingbat tenants would kill you easily

Any invested is a "shitty" investement, only if you dont know what you are doing and more so if you are uneducated in that investment.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by spirul77: 8:34am On Nov 13, 2019
Oga just start dey look for house now and stop crying over spilled milk, this is Nigeria bro, have been in a similar situation,i was ejected from my house just two months into it, was given 3 days to look for another house without commiting any offence, I felt offended and needed to prove some point, I went to two magistrate courts and two private law firms in the north and exactly what the lawyers always ask is "was your rent refunded" ? and "yes" they did, all the four lawyers said was "since they refunded your money, just go look for another house, you can't make a case with your landlord" o boy, nobody advise me to go look for another house that same day, I even packed out before the three days I was given
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by YorubaPrince: 8:37am On Nov 13, 2019
iammo:
cool

dealing with some entitled dingbat tenants would kill you easily

I bet you won't say this if you're at the other side of the coin. angry
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by mechanics(m): 8:38am On Nov 13, 2019
Simpubozz:
Thank you Sir . Yes, rumor since last year and it was not confirmed even when we reached out to one of the landlords, she said “no intention of such”. I guess I will take your advice on checking with who we paying rent to.
better and ask the woman again about the situation of things in the compound.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by mechanics(m): 8:40am On Nov 13, 2019
realstars:
Going to court will be west of time, they will adjourn the hearing till bebuary 2020, then Your tenancy expected to expire by December, and you have 6 weeks to evacuate from now, think twice.
I concur, infact he has a grace of 6 months to leave the house.

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Vinex4uba(m): 8:41am On Nov 13, 2019
My house and I thought you personally built the house, ordinary tenant and you are raising muscles, start looking for a new apartment before it's too late....
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by umarshehu58(m): 8:43am On Nov 13, 2019
Guy chill. Go and be looking for another place before your rent expires. Because from the look of things here, they are just waiting for your rent to expire before they evict you
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by safarigirl(f): 8:50am On Nov 13, 2019
Freehuman:

Please go and read those sections yourself. Since the Land Use Act vests radical ownership of all land in a state in the governor of a state, the highest right an individual can posses in land is a right of occupancy. The rent referred to in that section is the rent a governor receives to grant right of occupancy and other rights. It's more of a tax but termed rent.

Please go to those sections and show me where it regulates tenancy between individuals.
how can you be arguing with someone that cites Land Use Act as a regulator for landlord-tenant relationship?

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Beat123(f): 8:50am On Nov 13, 2019
Your rent is due December!

Did they ask you to pack? No!

What exactly are you looking for? Compensation? Smh

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

THE BEST IS HERE IN ENUGU! YOU CAN BUY AND BUILD, CHECK OUT!!! / Cost Of Floor And Ceiling Finishes / Soldiers Demolish Old Barracks In Suleja, Niger State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.