Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? (30545 Views)

Now That Border Is Opened,how Much Is Bag Of Rice In Your State? / ASUU STRIKE: A Door Locked And Has Been Tried By Many Keys- Comr. Agubuche Chile / WAEC GCE APPLICATION PORTAL FOR 2018/2019 REGISTRATION IS OPENED - 09082964145 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by colestephan86: 4:02pm On Nov 13, 2019
0monnak0da:

This is a good hypothesis but that is all it is ; a hypothesis

Perhaps you can describe an experiment to prove and the corollary to disprove .

Science is not religion it must have PROOF

That is the difference between our scientists an d others . We are good at reading books and passing exams not proving or disproving stuff

Another hypothesis is that the vibration is caused by mechanical energy transmitted through the wall/building to the affected door and so depending on what material the building and doors are made of as well as design there may be no noise or rattling. Perhaps this is why it is only the doors and not the walls that rattle?

Again such a hypothesis would need PROOF

The scientific mind is one that asks questions ceaselessly not one that binges on "knowledge"
When air travel through a medium , it goes from an entry to an exit point as in the case of your ventilated room, the reason your room is cool is cos air travel in and out .
Now the wall isn't an assess point for air, that's why u don't feel the effect on walls as against a door.
When u have a door that is directly in front of a window , u will understand the principal better. If the room were to be a vacuum that has zero oxygen in it , u won't experience that effect.
This is the best I can explain this

1 Like

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by 0monnak0da: 4:07pm On Nov 13, 2019
colestephan86:

When air travel through a medium , it goes from an entry to an exit point as in the case of your ventilated room, the reason your room is cool is cos air travel in and out .
Now the wall isn't an assess point for air, that's why u don't feel the effect on walls as against a door.
When u have a door that is directly in front of a window , u will understand the principal better. If the room were to be a vacuum that has zero oxygen in it , u won't experience that effect.
This is the best I can explain this

You are just spouting

I am sorry to tell you this sir but you have 3 problems

1. You do not know
2. You do not know that you don't know
3. You believe you know

very dangerous combination

Air travel to where ? grin grin grin

on top open and close door

by the way it is access not assess....

The moment you think you know and you should start educating others when you know nothing you become a terrorist

1 Like

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by colestephan86: 4:14pm On Nov 13, 2019
0monnak0da:

You are just spouting

I am sorry to tell you this sir but you have 3 problems

1. You do not know
2. You do not know that you don't know
3. You believe you know

very dangerous combination

Air travel to where ? grin grin grin

on top open and close door

by the way it is access not assess....

The moment you think you know and you should start educating others when you know nothing you become a terrorist
Sorry I wasted my time on you
Goodluck with your pursuit of knowledge.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Alzirida(f): 4:14pm On Nov 13, 2019
0monnak0da:

How do you know this?

I am not saying you are wrong but

How do you know?
Science is reproducible.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by crafteck(m): 4:15pm On Nov 13, 2019
Air pressure
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 13, 2019
KosiGee:

Sound waves have nothing to do with that phenomenon.
It’s actually pressure change in the room that causes it.
Use the syringe as an example, when it’s drawn, (plunger pulled) the pressure in the syringe drops or reduces and fluid rushes in but when it’s pushed in, ( plunger pushed in) the pressure increases and there’s an impact on the opposite end...content of the syringe is compressed and fluid rushes out or if you place your finger tip on the nozzle (opening), you’ll fill air pushing on your finger...

Back to the room using the syringe analogy.
Direction of the door opening affects pressure change and whether the opposite door will swing open or shut so imagine the room or space to be some sort of vacuum. When the door is opened outwards(away from the room) the pressure drops...sucking on the air particles and opposite door closes( like drawing a syringe)

Likewise, opening the door inwards, increases pressure in the room and forces (the compressed particles) outwards. This either forces the opposite door to open or rattle on the hinges and door frame if it’s closed already.

Apologies for any typo.
Guy you are good! asin you know to explain and break down explanations.. cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by 0monnak0da: 4:33pm On Nov 13, 2019
Alzirida:

Science is reproducible.
So is voodoo grin
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Khaleell001(m): 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2019
Alzirida:

It has little to do with vibration and resonance.

The main reason is because, in a room (especially quiet room) it is filled with stagnant/relatively calm air..... So on opening the door, it disrupt the calm air invariably sending ripples to the adjacent doors...most affected is the opposite doors.

makes sense.

1 Like

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Khaleell001(m): 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2019
godofuck231:
from my native calculations , air pressure influx and release , also vibra waves, for every action there is an opposite reaction , like slapping a woman's butt you either get a slap back or she will rape you

This is totally over the bar.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 4:44pm On Nov 13, 2019
UrVillagePpl:
Greetings Nairalanders,

Please I want to ask a question, What is the synergy between doors that make the door shake or open (if properly not close). This happens whenever a door is shut or open and as a result, the other doors tend to make a sound (even though they are farther apart). Asking Google would have been a good option but don’t even know the question to ask.

A minor who happens to be my nephew keeps asking me this question and considering the fact that I do not know I always tell him it’s a normal thing and immediately send him away grin grin lipsrsealed
Just a moment ago, I gave him the same reply when he asked me the question. But this time around it increased my curiosity of wanting to know the science behind it.

So Nairalanders over to you....
That's the EFFECT OF COMORESSED AIR IN THE ROOM THAT WANTS TI ESCAPE.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by godofuck231: 4:58pm On Nov 13, 2019
Khaleell001:

This is totally over the bar.
lol its just a fun talk but as for the door it's air pressure
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by King44(m): 5:06pm On Nov 13, 2019
johnkey:
from the little physics i do I think it's the air pressure in the room. like inflating a balloon and deflating it.
u sabi book besides someone said sound I was shocked
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by TrippleTte: 5:16pm On Nov 13, 2019
wasere!!!!! u sabi ur onion well

TheGiftedOne:
Vibration of the walls by the force generated when the door hits the frame. It could safely be called resonance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Nedublinkz1(m): 5:59pm On Nov 13, 2019
[ AIR SIMPLE

quote author=UrVillagePpl post=83975482]

can u pls elaborate. thanks[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by geez18(m): 6:00pm On Nov 13, 2019
Wonyo:
Differential settlement. There is a deficiency in building structure

Yours is the intelligent answer I've read so far. Most of the comments I've read so far were obviously made by ignorant people and liked by people more ignorant.

A building that is structurally deficient will exhibit what the OP notices in his building.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by geez18(m): 6:15pm On Nov 13, 2019
UrVillagePpl:
Greetings Nairalanders,

Please I want to ask a question, What is the synergy between doors that make the door shake or open (if properly not close). This happens whenever a door is shut or open and as a result, the other doors tend to make a sound (even though they are farther apart). Asking Google would have been a good option but don’t even know the question to ask.

A minor who happens to be my nephew keeps asking me this question and considering the fact that I do not know I always tell him it’s a normal thing and immediately send him away grin grin lipsrsealed
Just a moment ago, I gave him the same reply when he asked me the question. But this time around it increased my curiosity of wanting to know the science behind it.

You'd better take most of what you've read here with a pinch of salt!

When a building is structurally deficient; that is if the reinforcements used in the construction of the building were inadequate or insufficient, then the building will most definitely exhibit that vibrating tendency.

Also, if the proper soil tests were not carried out before erecting a building, it may lead to cracks in the walls of the building thereby leading to noticeable vibrations on the walls, windows and doors of the building when a door is shut.

That said, I find it quite irritating that most people will rush to comment on something they know nothing about, thereby misleading scores of netizens. This should stop.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Kabir5643(m): 6:46pm On Nov 13, 2019
Arts and commercial students
How far na grin
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by MrCaesar: 7:31pm On Nov 13, 2019
Forced vibration
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by jshow(m): 7:31pm On Nov 13, 2019
Resonance that resonance. Resonance is the process in which one body in vibration tends another body into vibration with even greater amplitude by merely touching it. Physics is bae
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Tomide007: 7:46pm On Nov 13, 2019
dgitrader:
Air pressure! It's Sucking or pushing affects doors especially in a poorly ventilated room.

Kindly get a bic biro transparent container, thick orange back peel and a strong strand of broom.

Block both ends of the biro container with the orange peel(by pressing it into the peel completely) then use the strong strand of broomstick to gradually push any of the stuck orange peel in the biro, ur little one will see how pressure transmits to the other end by pushing the opposite peel off the biro.
Resonance .
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by raustin560(m): 8:11pm On Nov 13, 2019
simple suction and pumping of air from the room and into d room.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Yokkyface: 8:29pm On Nov 13, 2019
it actually happened ,when they used 6 by 6 block to build the all building,
it make the all building shake whenever they close the door.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by ikorodureporta: 8:31pm On Nov 13, 2019
Why people dey talk of defective building? I don't Gerrit

Every space is airtight...& the molecules react to any pressure exerted by any object

You for ask us how remote control dey control TV from a distance @ d touch of d button
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 13, 2019
Happens in my home too

It’s air pressure

The main door that leads to my living room opens the door that leads out the stair case when shut and the only vent in the staircase is enclosed with a glass frame so it’s definitely air pressure happens all the time
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by paix(m): 8:37pm On Nov 13, 2019
UrVillagePpl:
Greetings Nairalanders,

Vacuum is created in the room as a result of the action. Slightly open a window and repeat the action, the other doors will not make a sound.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Dway777: 9:07pm On Nov 13, 2019
English teachers ....i want to learn..wheres my seat?
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by AKJA(m): 11:53am On Nov 14, 2019
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by AKJA(m): 12:00pm On Nov 14, 2019
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by clarkmos15(m): 1:48pm On Nov 14, 2019
na ur phone
blowjohn:

U need to be arrested.
Imagine. Battery and touch pad not good!
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Purehuman(m): 9:18pm On Nov 15, 2019
xxxx

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNIZIK Sacks Peter Ekemezie For Forging His B.sc Certificate / The Peanut College Of Education, Zing, Taraba State Pays Its Lecturers / Highlights From Aljazeera's ASUU Chat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.