Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,491 members, 7,801,264 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

RAV4 2002 ISSUE - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / RAV4 2002 ISSUE (1197 Views)

Registered Toyota Rav4 2002 / All-new 2019 Toyota Rav4 Unveiled (photos, Details And Price) / Toyota To Unveil The New RAV4 At The New York Auto Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RAV4 2002 ISSUE by louizzzz: 12:52pm On Nov 13, 2019
Hello friends,

I bought a 2002 Rav4 Nigerian used. So far so good. The only issue I see is that a times when i trottle it does not pick immediately. I have to raise my leg a little and trottle again. I asked my mechanic and he was saying brain box ..... bla bla bla. The ATF is still new as it was changed before i bought the car.
Has anyone had this issue, and how was it resolved?.
What step do you suggest I take?

Thanks
Re: RAV4 2002 ISSUE by nurey(m): 11:07pm On Nov 13, 2019
louizzzz:
Hello friends,

I bought a 2002 Rav4 Nigerian used. So far so good. The only issue I see is that a times when i trottle it does not pick immediately. I have to raise my leg a little and trottle again. I asked my mechanic and he was saying brain box ..... bla bla bla. The ATF is still new as it was changed before i bought the car.

Thanks

The 2000 to 2005 RAV4 had a factory defect on 00 to 03 model years fitted with automatic transmission. The brain box was the cause of the predicament. It became non responsive leading to transmission failure.

you need to copy the brain box number and do a check to ascertain if your vehicle is suffering from the symptoms

follow the link to know more

https://www.nairaland.com/597009/toyota-rav4-2001-2003-auto
Re: RAV4 2002 ISSUE by louizzzz: 2:09pm On Nov 14, 2019
Thanks for the response. Will give you feedback soon
Re: RAV4 2002 ISSUE by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 14, 2019
louizzzz:
Hello friends,

Thanks

From personal experience i think the mechanic is saying the truth.but as suggested check if your ecu number falls within those that has recall issue and do the needful.if you have the money try and buy a new one but if not try and patronize those wit refurbished ones,a note of warning though you need to shine your eye
Re: RAV4 2002 ISSUE by louizzzz: 1:34pm On Nov 23, 2019
I took it to another mechanic and he ran a scan and said, he thinks it has nothing to do with the brain box. He adviced we changed the engine oil, transmission oil and steering oil to the recommended one and it was done. He did a couple of cleaning here and there. One of the engine seat was bad and it was changed. There is a big improvement in the way the car moves. That jerking now happens once in a while when going above 50km\hr speed. I really want that jerking to stop totally.
Re: RAV4 2002 ISSUE by gly2ken: 1:43pm On Nov 23, 2019
[quote author=nurey post=84006670]

I have a 2004 model and it has the same issue, but I have being driving it for 6 years now.

(1) (Reply)

Best And Quality Paint For Car / ECU or Engine problem / Small Car Seen Transporting A Huge Container In Delta State (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.