Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,798 members, 7,802,557 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says (27369 Views)

Complete Reason Why The Stock Market Is Bad Investment / Bad Investment As Another Pronzi Crashing Down / An Abia Born Investment Expert Dr Enyinna, To Be Honoured By Lagos State Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by shehuolayinka(m): 10:46am On Nov 14, 2019
A Nigerian United Kingdom based Oxford-educated entrepreneur with business interests in technology and advertising,
Dr. Tayo Oyedeji says home ownership is mostly a bad investment.

He said this in a series of tweets on his official and verified twitter handle, stating that home purchase for living is a bad investment.

Renting is wiser for most people. Don’t buy a house unless: 1. Mortgage is < 8%, 2. You can pay cash, 3. You plan to live in it for 10 years, 4. You need the psychological comfort of home ownership.

Rental/investment property is great. Home ownership is mostly a bad investment.

I’ll share the math on home ownership sometime next week. The home you live in is your worst investment. For some of us, it’s not even an investment. Don’t buy the hype, do the math. Home purchase for living is a bad investment.

Rental property is a great investment. Do the math. An average property in Lagos is N40m. Treasury bill rate is about 12%. Your N40m will yield N4.8m a year.

You can rent a good home for N1.5m and still have N3.3m left over. Your house is costing you N3.3m per year. Do the math.

Psychological comfort, societal expectations, and cultural norms are valid reasons for home ownership.

But when it comes down to the math: it just doesn’t work. I own a couple of homes for the reasons stated above. They’re not good investment.

https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/11/14/home-ownership-is-mostly-a-bad-investment-says-expert/

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 14, 2019
This guy na mumu o, so the house you rent, is it some someone else house.

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by utepu: 11:07am On Nov 14, 2019
Ok Ride on

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by NairalandAngel(m): 4:33pm On Nov 14, 2019
shehuolayinka:
A Nigerian United Kingdom based Oxford-educated entrepreneur with business interests in technology and advertising,
Dr. Tayo Oyedeji says home ownership is mostly a bad investment.

He said this in a series of tweets on his official and verified twitter handle, stating that home purchase for living is a bad investment.

Renting is wiser for most people. Don’t buy a house unless: 1. Mortgage is < 8%, 2. You can pay cash, 3. You plan to live in it for 10 years, 4. You need the psychological comfort of home ownership.

Rental/investment property is great. Home ownership is mostly a bad investment.

I’ll share the math on home ownership sometime next week. The home you live in is your worst investment. For some of us, it’s not even an investment. Don’t buy the hype, do the math. Home purchase for living is a bad investment.

Rental property is a great investment. Do the math. An average property in Lagos is N40m. Treasury bill rate is about 12%. Your N40m will yield N4.8m a year.

You can rent a good home for N1.5m and still have N3.3m left over. Your house is costing you N3.3m per year. Do the math.

Psychological comfort, societal expectations, and cultural norms are valid reasons for home ownership.

But when it comes down to the math: it just doesn’t work. I own a couple of homes for the reasons stated above. They’re not good investment.

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/11/14/home-ownership-is-mostly-a-bad-investment-says-expert/

This does not apply here in Nigeria

90 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Marcsunny(m): 6:29am On Nov 15, 2019
Only Economists will understand you sir.
Good news pant trousers for male and white shirt Tm&Next designer in wholesale and retail purchase.The brands are top Europe designers.Any colour kindly dm. By clicking my profile to get my whatapps contact Customers outside lagos will pay a token for delivery.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by helinues: 6:29am On Nov 15, 2019
Na wah oo.. You guys will be using UK real estates to be comparing to Nigeria real estates.

Tax alone in UK wont allow you to have more than 1 house not to talk of having fleets of cars

32 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 15, 2019
His opinion has since been brilliantly countered and sent to the dustbin.

Ayò Bánkólé

·My father died when I was 16, my mother was newly retired, had invested her terminal benefits in Dad's business (amongst other stories which made everything die with him). Less than 3months, we were thrown out of the house by the
Landlord, even though we could afford it. Thread.

I read Robert Kiyosaki's book as a young boy, even before my experience, I knew, that his views were too narrowed on western realities than African realities. As I thought then, so I still think now. As he wrote then, so do people like Dr Tayo Oyedeji still write now. Wake up!

Some principles in advanced societies cant be applied here. You can lose your job overnight because your Boss woke up on the bad side, or lost money to 419. no social safety nets, healthcare, etc. If Devil wants to finally get you, no house. You'll be in the rain with your family.

We left our rented house in Isolo, moved to Meiran. Then I was always in a Jakande estate with my friends. A few of my friends' parents lost their jobs to the bank failures then. Those who owned their flats were safe, tenants had their properties in the sun & rain in no time.

The Estate was awash with random sights of families whose properties will suddenly be thrown out. Evicted due to inability to pay, based on job loses they didn't foresee, in a country that has no safety net, or security, or human right, or healthcare, or education,or job options.

Nigeria is not yet there. Many are one sickness, one failed company, one govt policy (e.g. FX devaluation), away from poverty. If you own a house, you can drink garri everyday, your kids will have a place to sleep, while you go hustle. If you die or need capital, it is an asset.

There is poverty in our land. Wicked, ravishing, rampaging poverty. One way (not the only) to secure yourself & those you love is to own a roof. Don't listen to elites who have attained comfort, live abroad, read fancy books, & are selective in applying it to our realities.

PS: Investment is not everytime about treasury bills, interest rates, arithmetic & english. At times, investment is simply keying into a position, because you know where you are coming from, where you are going, and want to secure yourself from the volatilities of your clime.

Only less than 0.5% of Nigerians will ever be able to see 40m Naira in their lifetime. T.Bills & most securities won't make sense if you don't have the volumes. But you can always invest your little sums in some securities,yet invest other portions in building a home(safety net).

https://mobile.twitter.com/AyoBankole/status/1194587749560532993

118 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Promismike(m): 6:30am On Nov 15, 2019
Not in nigeria sir. I know you pay some loyalty or something of such for owning a house in developed nations.

But in nigeria their is nothing of such.
The value of land and home skyrockets every year here in nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by cue64: 6:30am On Nov 15, 2019
In a saner clime this guy is right to an extent

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by SenecaTheYonger: 6:30am On Nov 15, 2019
Which landlord wrote this?

14 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by sotall(m): 6:30am On Nov 15, 2019
charliboy654:
This guy na mumu o, so the house you rent, is it some someone else house.

Did you read what he wrote?

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by temitope014: 6:30am On Nov 15, 2019
Mo gbo

1 Like

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by aybabz101: 6:31am On Nov 15, 2019
maybe he meant home ownership in Lagos Island is a bad investment......coz all I can reference his assertion to are only the upper class and the upper middle class Nigerians.

This is the worst advise for the average Nigerian since most of the population is struggling to meet ends needs. Now imagine paying school fees, rent, transportation, bills every month on a salary of let's say 70k, it's going to be hectic. But with this salary in a small town in 9ja and with a good cooperative society ( who gives out non interest loans) I can get one plot of land at d outskirt of a major town and develop.

Moreover, House ownership is more of a cultural ritual in 9ja. Families struggle very hard to build houses so that they can be associated with it and it is a thing of pride to them (ie, they are in there homes, no landlord or landlady can come and harass them anyhow). It gives families a sense of ownership and security.

Even in foreign countries, house ownership is a thing that most of them want to achieve and they throw big parties involving families and friends when this is achieved.

I totally disagree with Dr. Tayo. Even with the rate of inflation around d world, properties and lands are d only assets apart from gold dat I know of that there values are in most cases always increasing. This means that the prices of house rent will always increase and not the d other way round (if the quality of the home is maintained or improved upon?)

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by georgecso(m): 6:31am On Nov 15, 2019
See your head..
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by feldido(m): 6:31am On Nov 15, 2019
This is Nigeria, Wake up dude... So rent will continue to be stable for all the years abi?

Rent for a 2 bedroom flat here is 400 to 800k. With 4 to N6mil, you can built a modest 2 bedroom flat here which will be like 12 years rent at most.

10 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Rubbiish(m): 6:31am On Nov 15, 2019
It depends on where your house is located
U don't expect to make much from rural places
But in urban locations, owning a house is one of d best investment in this country

12 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by WinkWrld: 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
I agree
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Wiseoldman: 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
The summary is that you can own a home a number of reasons. But never own a home as an investment. It is just buring money in the ground.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by sonature1: 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
I don't believe him.

In Nigeria, you will see some landlords asking for a 2-year rent. That's a lot. So, building yours NOT buying is the best bet.

Besides, when you build or buy, you are leaving a legacy for your children yet unborn.

4 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Born2Breed(f): 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
grin

It applies in Nigeria. Just take a look at these apartment buildings in ikoyi that are just empty.

That na bad investment ke.

13 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by pyro62(m): 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
That man in the photo is that the expert that says this trash? Because I'm still studying the shape of this head and the contours thereof. And from my expertise, NA THEM!!

Isi coconut

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by transfer101: 6:33am On Nov 15, 2019
This is best applicable in the west not in Africa.
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Starzdavid247(m): 6:33am On Nov 15, 2019
When u grew old, then u will know the importance of owning a home. Oga keep your economics analysis to yourself.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Kissup(f): 6:34am On Nov 15, 2019
If he was in Nigeria he will understand that to own a shop you sleep in is better than staying in some house.wetin landlord dey do person na small thing especially Lagos landlord.Abeg build ur house even if it's kios as long as you sleep and wake up

10 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Adufetooposh(f): 6:34am On Nov 15, 2019
Instead of being a tenant, i will rather be a landlord. wink
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by dake40(m): 6:34am On Nov 15, 2019
The dude is ABSOLUTELY right

4 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by drlaykay(m): 6:34am On Nov 15, 2019
I tell people this a lot and they actually think I'm saying nonsense.
Build your house after you have solidified your business.
This is why an uneducated yoruba man doesn't do well as much as an uneducated igbo man.
Most people get to see little money from their business and rush to get a land. The business isn't solid enough yet but instead of reinvesting the profit in order to improve the business they go buy a land.
Every little profit from the business which is still of a low scale, will be used in financing the building. Because the profit is low, they end up spending part of their capital in addition to the profit in order to fast track the building which is overdue.this act makes the business die and they become poor landlords
On the other hand, their igbo counterpart who are also into small scale businesses, reinvest such funds into the business.
The business grows and they build a more powerful structure in a decent location within a short time.

Before your crucify me, I have live examples and I am proudly yoruba

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by dake40(m): 6:34am On Nov 15, 2019
Adufetooposh:
Instead of being a tenant, i will rather be a landlord. wink

African mentality

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by dake40(m): 6:35am On Nov 15, 2019
Starzdavid247:
When u grew old, then u will know the importance of owning a home. Oga keep your economics analysis to yourself.

Read the post again. And this time, be more careful...

Don’t buy a house unless:

1. Mortgage is < 8%,

2. You can pay cash,

3. You plan to live in it for 10 years,

At a grown age, you know the time has come to have your property (though still optional), and during this time, you would have have enough to buy a home (with latest design)

The issue with Africans is LANDLORD mentality which is very wrong... For young hustlers, dont build/buy a house you know you wont live in for years when you can rent 1 and reinvest the remaining funds in good investments..

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by ba7man(m): 6:35am On Nov 15, 2019
Very true.

My developer friend has properties for sale around lagos worth 100's of millions but stays in a rented duplex.

Another friend has his own home in his village and terrace duplex for sale in Lagos but still stays in a rented apartment.

They both say when they eventually build their own homes to live, if a buyer shows up with a great offer, they'll sell it off.

19 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Acidosis(m): 6:36am On Nov 15, 2019
Same thing we have being saying.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can I Withdraw Money From Skrill To My Nigeria Naira Account? / Latest Yahoo Boy Update - Best Apps For Yahoo Boys For Easy Cash Out In 2022 / Breaking News: Naira Propeller Has Crashed!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.