Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,161 members, 7,807,537 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average (28442 Views)

HIV Prevalence Rate In States In Nigeria 2019 By NACA / How Nigeria’s 36 States Fare In HIV Prevalence / South-south Leads In HIV Prevalence, Northwest Lowest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Islie: 11:59am On Nov 14, 2019
By Gordi Udeajah, Umuahia

The southeast geo-political zone has a national Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) prevalence rate of 1.9, which is above the national average of 1.4.

At the commissioning of the southeast Zonal Office of the National Agency for Control of AIDS (NACA) in Umuahia, Abia State, yesterday, it was disclosed that out of about 10,000 persons living with the virus, less than 2,000 avails themselves of the retroviral drugs that are said to be available and affordable.

Director-General of NACA, Dr. Gambo Aliyu, who stated this at the ceremony, decried the scenario and urged the victims to avail themselves of the anti-retroviral therapy (ART), adding that taking the drugs would make the sufferers live healthy lives and carry on their normal activities.

He stressed the need for people to go for a test to know their HIV status and thus begin early to do the needful if tested positive, to make them live normal lives.

The DG also advised against stigmatising HIV/AIDS victims.

“Why should HIV/AIDS patients be stigmatised and avoided while those of hypertension, malaria and other deadly diseases are not sigmatized the same way,” he queried.

According to him, if the victims don’t go for tests or anti-retroviral therapy, there would be no need for NACA.

There is the political will to control the scourge in the country, he noted, urging the South East to face the challenges posed by the scourge and do the needful to reduce the prevalence rate.

He, however, commended Abia State governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu, who, according to him, has set aside 0.5 per cent of the state’s annual budget to fight HIV/AIDS.

Commissioning the zonal office on behalf of the governor, the deputy governor, Ude Chukwu, commended NACA for siting the office in Abia, pledging to ensure it’s smooth running.

While urging the zone to intensify efforts to control the scourge, he advised victims to avail selves of the ART that would sustain their lives.

NACA coordinator for the South East, Dr. Miriam Ezekwe, expressed confidence that the new office would effectively coordinate the agency’s activities in the zone and improve the interface of the states’ agencies, thereby making the national response more robust.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/hiv-prevalence-in-south-east-above-national-average/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by tillaman(m): 12:19pm On Nov 14, 2019
Chai, most of my SE pals don’t support the use of condoms, majority of them supports unprotected sex, one was even boasting on how he’s an expert when it comes to withdrawal, but the mumu doesn’t know that if it’s pregnancy it’s still better, he only thinks the worse that could happen is if he impregnates a girl but Tell him about HIV, HPB, STI and others he will shun you by saying he has never used protection since he started having sexual intercourse that if he was going to contact HIV he would have gotten from home!
I haven’t heard from him since 2016 though I really hope he’s fine wherever he is in Enugu state
They better start putting condoms at the Atm terminals and other points so as to promote safe sex

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by 1Sharon(f): 12:19pm On Nov 14, 2019
That is fine cos Chukwu okike is never asleep.

He sees all.

Igbo Amaka

22 Likes

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:19pm On Nov 14, 2019
Very very serious but it's not shocking or surprising based on how much they praise and practice random sex.

There are fornicators in Yorubaland too but most are not random fornicators, they have one ore two partners. But easterners really praise the one-day-one-partner lifestyle.

Visit any NYSC camp/lodge and see for yourself how people from all three regions of this country treat promiscuity.

And if you talk people will call you hypocrite and stuff.

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Guestuser: 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2019
Guestuser:
South east is the most useless region in Nigeria.
Fact!
Mentions from pigs will be ignored grin
Igbo AMAKA grin

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Baroba(m): 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2019
tillaman:
grin

Am not quite sure why this is a laughing matter..sad

4 Likes

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by irokor(m): 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2019
The government doesn't want to invest in the health sector, I pity us
Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by naijadrivablog: 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2019
IS a LIE tongue shocked

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by TroubleMaker47(m): 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
Hmmm!
Akwaibom, Rivers, Benue, Kogi prevalence rate is higher than all the SE states!

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
Them no get enough condoms for that country ni?

1 Like

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by 1Sharon(f): 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
Baroba:

Am not quite sure why this is a laughing matter..sad

It is a laughing matter because igbos claim to be the most intelligent tribe in Africa.
How do intelligent ppl get STDs? grin

This is what happens when you're a dropout of Epon ojuku grammar school for the foolish.

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by realstars: 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
H
Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Arysexy(m): 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
Be specific. Imo state.

4 Likes

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Ceejay20: 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
Nawa oo
Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Guestuser: 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
naijadrivablog:
IS a LIE
TroubleMaker47:
Lies!
Stfu

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by iamswizz(m): 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
Tribal warlords in 1, 2 3...

15 Likes

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Bambambiglo: 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
Igbos importing HIV from South Africa to Naija.. sad

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by ZombieTERROR: 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
irokor:
The government doesn't want to invest in the health sector, I pity us
GeoAfrikana:
Very very serious but it's not shocking or surprising.

Buhari that knows the route to London hospital will invest in the country's health sector ...

Na so

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by TroubleMaker47(m): 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
Guestuser:
South east is the most useless region in Nigeria.
Fact!
And u r? undecided

1 Like

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Authoreety: 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
Hiv test....

The worst day of ones life

Especially for them bad niggars

6 Likes

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by RENTS: 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
It is well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Generalyemi(m): 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
k
Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by Trendy247: 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
Before they said it was Benue, later Akwa ibom, now it's the whole south-east, leta we go hear say na Yoruba people get am pass...
Foolish people.. If you want to put up statistic, conduct test with the same number of people in all the geopolitical zones, cos as far as I'm concerned, northerners are more infected than any other region, but because they hardly go for test we don't hear about it.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by IGBOSON1: 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
Hehehehe grin grin grin

Food is ready for Igbo haters....they're falling in thick and fast! wink

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by omenka(m): 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
That's why i made it a duty to ignore that girl that has been chasing me around on the forum. I bet this has been her plans all along while feigning hatred for me. She has plans to place me on death row but I deciphered that a million miles away.

No wonder i gave her to my dear friend AkwalaIke1, yet he declined.

smh.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV Prevalence In South East Above National Average by bigpicture001: 12:23pm On Nov 14, 2019
Its not a lie...am associated with a.busy med lab. In dsouth east....its usually like minimum 3 cases every week..and the lab is the 12th biggest in d city ooooi

21 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Quack Doctor Arrested In Lagos After 11 Years Practice (photo) / Sachet Water: Strange Disease In Kano, Many Hospitalized / African Journalists Decry Racist Monkeypox Reporting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.