Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space (24676 Views)

Omoyele Sowore Speaks On Chude's Arrest / Buhari Out To Truncate Democracy - Governor Ganduje / Sowore Speaks To Nigerian Workers As Labour Strike Commences Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Realdeals(m): 6:58am On Nov 15, 2019
Detained social activist, publisher and politician, Omoyele Sowore, has spoken out from the custody of the State Security Service, telling PREMIUM TIMES he is being held as part of a grand scheme by the Buhari administration to shut down Nigeria’s civic space.

Mr Sowore called a PREMIUM TIMES’ reporter on Thursday afternoon, in a rare move to directly send out a message to the public.

It was a message of courage, defiance and hope for both his teeming supporters and the Nigerian downtrodden people.

The Sahara Reporters’ publisher said he would remain undeterred by the controversial tactics of the current government, which have seen him held in perpetual custody against the order of a federal judge.

Mr Sowore, a former student union activist who confronted military regimes and went to jail for it, was arrested in August in connection with his #RevolutionNow campaign — a series of nationwide protests he had planned with other activists to demand a better Nigeria.
The protests were planned to commence on August 5 across 21 towns and cities, with public awareness escalating as the day drew closer.

But suddenly on August 3, armed SSS officers broke into an apartment Mr Sowore was occupying with some of his closest associates in Lagos. He was taken away in the midnight raid that was captured by security cameras.
The arrest elicited outrage from Nigerians, with many slamming the SSS’ brutal tactics as yet another state-sponsored violence against unarmed citizens.

Members of the movement also warned that Mr Sowore’s detention — which they deemed illegal and unwarranted — would bolster rather than dampen a wave of resistance to decades of bad governance that many believed had worsened under President Muhammadu Buhari.

Grand plot thwarted
Speaking with PREMIUM TIMES from custody, Mr Sowore said the demand for his sureties was an attempt to intimidate them into pulling out.

“Their aim is to intimidate my sureties by subjecting them to undue maltreatment,” Mr Sowore said. “It is part of a grand plot to hold me hostage because they have failed to find anything illegal to pin on me.”

“But we know what they want to do and we will not allow it to happen,” he added.

Although the SSS has repeatedly asserted its respect for the Nigerian judicial and the rule of law in general, the agency has a history of repression, violation of citizens’ rights and disobedience of court decisions.

SSS was the agency at the heart of most allegations of attacks on Nigerians during the brutal military eras of Ibrahim Babangida and Sani Abacha. Several Nigerians were jailed, physically attacked or killed as Mr Abacha moved to clear all obstacles to his authoritarian regime.

Despite attempts to reform the agency as Nigeria attained democracy in 1999, critics say the SSS, founded in 1986, has remained wedded to its brutal and anti-democratic past.

Hale, hearty
Mr Sowore lamented that he had “not seen sunshine since he was detained except when taken to court.” Only three people have been allowed to see him since August 3, which includes his lawyers and the person responsible for his feeding.

Even though Mr Sowore said he cannot wait to reunite with his associates and loved ones, he said he had come to a fresh realisation that the SSS would continue to disregard court pronouncements and would not release him anytime soon.

“Last night, they gave us phones and cable TV,” Mr Sowore said. “This indicates that they have no intention of complying with court orders to release me anytime soon.’’

Mr Sowore said he will continue to fight for the downtrodden, and wanted the world to know that the Buhari administration has been stifling civil liberties in Nigeria.

“The world should know that I remain unbroken and in high spirits,” Mr Sowore said. “I will continue to fight for the Nigerian people, ensure that the people are not shortchanged and corruption is driven underground.”

“I will continue to stand up for the downtrodden,” he said.

Mr Sowore said all those who support him should not be discouraged because the masses will prevail in the battle against anti-democratic forces.

“The ultimate mission is to intimidate all critical voices and shut down the nation’s civic space,” Mr Sowore said. “But this will not happen and we shall overcome.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/363012-sowore-speaks-from-custody-says-buhari-out-to-destroy-civic-space.html

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Realdeals(m): 7:01am On Nov 15, 2019
I have said it several times it is difficult to fight a man whose conviction for a struggle is based on a failed system, Sowore requires No Pity.

26 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by bewla(m): 7:19am On Nov 15, 2019
U better quite be for we add another count charge

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 15, 2019
[s]
Realdeals:
I have said it several times it is difficult to fight a man whose conviction for a struggle is based on a failed system, Sowore requires No Pity.
[/s]

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by ammrniceT1p: 12:47pm On Nov 15, 2019
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 15, 2019
sowore aka sowere is an idiot.

he is no freedom fighter, he is just disturbing the peace, nothing he says is relevant

this is the man that contested for election and lost woefully then wants a revolution because he didnt win

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by tstx(m): 12:48pm On Nov 15, 2019
Even the international community knows

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by propynich123: 12:48pm On Nov 15, 2019
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by shogsman(m): 12:48pm On Nov 15, 2019
Realdeals:

There is no sense in what you just said,it’s not a must to comment if you don’t have anything tangible to say.

132 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by solmusdesigns: 12:48pm On Nov 15, 2019
Honestly Buhari is going about things in a worrisome way

20 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Fountainofyouth(f): 12:49pm On Nov 15, 2019
As much as I dislike this government and the calamity in Ask Rock/london, Sowore deserves all that is been done to him and much more, he is part of those that brought in this government so he should continue to eat the bitter food he cooked and served himself.

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by lanvic12(m): 12:49pm On Nov 15, 2019
Peace peace peace
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by omenka(m): 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2019
Sowore, but you were out to destroy and remove a democratically and constitutionally established government.

Much as i admire your deggedness and courage, you must be held accountable for your actions as well.

When asked if you were calling for protests, you reiterated you were calling for a REMOVAL OF THE GOVERNMENT AND NOT JUST ANY PROTEST. How could you call for the removal of a government duly elected in a process in which you ALSO participated, and even endorsed?

Come on, even the US government wont tolerate that. It is called treason. As we speak, the US president is calling a legitimate Whistle Blower legally protected by their constitution, an enemy of state guilty of treason! What the guy reported has been corroborated even by employees of the president himself, but that hasn't dissuaded the president from keeping up with calling the whistle blower to take a witness stand.

So, forget all that. You surely will be out of there. But I simply cant tell when.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by chriskosherbal(m): 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2019
We are in for a long ride in this country ...God help us.

3 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by landforeast(m): 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2019
You are True activist
A fight like this is not for children.
The only problem is that you are fighting for Youth "wey their head no dey road". They will rather leave you to rot in jail and struggle to have a selfie with Tacha.

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by agwom(m): 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2019
Stop making noise! and praise Buhari....

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Danialuone: 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2019
I for see that they want him to celebrate Christmas and new year there ni.......................................hummmmmmmmmmm
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by itu404(m): 12:51pm On Nov 15, 2019
Of Course, this has always been sowore gameplan to been seen and heard as a political prisoner, but when the chips are down you are just another nigerian politician. Don't trust him one bit.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 15, 2019
Shurrup my friend
You ran for presidency, lost and then plan revolution. How is that not treason, an attempt to undo election and undermine the government to you?

4 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Edu3Again: 12:52pm On Nov 15, 2019
ffff
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by fatymore(f): 12:53pm On Nov 15, 2019
This guy no dey fear fear...even in detention, you still have mouth...

I dont know what Buhari is scared of if he releases this guy.

My able president, please follow court order.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by MrColdsweat: 12:54pm On Nov 15, 2019
typing
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Lovelife433(m): 12:54pm On Nov 15, 2019
u never see any tin mr fighter by the time baba is true with u, u go call ur wife bob risky.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Vatod(m): 12:54pm On Nov 15, 2019
Yoruba! Ronu � ooh! Like play like play Abiola die in detention by the same tribe

5 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Fountainofyouth(f): 12:55pm On Nov 15, 2019
omenka:
Sowore, but you were out to destroy and remove a democratically and constitutionally established government.

How will a protest destroy and remove a dictatorially democratic and constitutionally corrupt government

10 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by ednut1(m): 12:55pm On Nov 15, 2019
Shebi GEJ is the worst president. U never see something. 2023 no far again

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Enugu Airport: Before And After GEJ / Edo Widow Shuns PDP’s N250,000 Gift / Poll Outcome May Affect Eligibility Suit Against Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.