Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,968 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

What Are Offlimits In A Diss Record? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Are Offlimits In A Diss Record? (266 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Are Offlimits In A Diss Record? by Chanbang10: 7:01am On Nov 15, 2019
Remy Ma in a recent interview admitted that she still feel a type of way regarding the diss song she made about NickiMinaj and wished that they had work together rather than been put against each other.
For those not familiar with the story, in 2017 Remy Ma made a seven minute song titled SHETTER on a popular dissed beat by Nas about Nicki Minaj after Nicki had repeated thrown subliminal shots at her on several songs and literally everything negative she knew was said on that song.
Recently, the rap scene in Nigeria experienced such uproar courtesy of two lyricists: Vector and MI. Vector first threw the shots and MI retaliated in an epic manner. However, Vector after promising to respond did and many Nigerians raised eyebrows on the narrative he took for his response. Why? He decided to go personal this time on M.I. Apart from the mixed reaction the song received and the call to implore JesseJagz to respond to some of Vector’s claim, several people on social media called Vector “sensitive”, others “toxic”, some individuals made post on how both rappers should quit acting like kids the list is endless. On the flip side, there was this wave that hit in the rap scene in Nigeria more like a rebirth as several other rappers dropped their own diss record against each other which is good because it is almost or more than a decade since a beef really got people this engaged. The Mode 9 and Rugged man beef is one I could easily remember growing up that generated conservation which was before social media but other than that I cannot still think of any that had this conservation. So it is a good thing for rap in Nigeria as long as there is no violence on both parties than words throwing; it is very safe.
However, people’s respond on social media on this Vector and MI situation proved in certain ways that many people still don’t understand the dynamism of a diss record in Nigeria.
Here is why: From the conception of diss records, by .The primary rule has always been I am about to prove that I am better than you in word play, flow, delivery and punch lines especially punch lines because that is top of the icing. In other words, it does not matter if you make the most money or you look the most fly, I am winning this regardless. Diss records have always been competition for superiority.
In the hip-hop culture, for a diss record nothing is held back and nothing is off-limit to say. The greatest diss song ever made according to watchmojo.com had the most derogatory punch line in its first opening verse that largely contributed to its massive success.
Another example probably recent, Pusha T and Drake Situation. It is hard to believe that it actually started in 2011. After throwing many subliminal shots at each other several songs.Drake decided to mention pusha’s fiancé government name on Duppy Style. No one saw Pusha coming with Story of Adidon as he was the one that announced to the world that Drake has a child in a song amidst every other thing he said on the record. Till today, asides from the famous interview where he revealed how Pusha found out about his child, Drake is yet to respond on a song. Means we know who won that.
Then the one everyone almost never talk about because how they have grown pass it and now cool: Jayz and Nas.
Yep,they made diss song about each other after throwing so many subliminal shots at each other.
Jayz made Takeover and Nas Ether. However, they had to reconcile due to some lyrics on Jayz song about Nas’s Child which his mum thought was inappropriate on another song. I used these two scenarios about rappers who made diss songs about each other and how they went about it. The truth is, in hip-hop there is no limit on what to say on a diss record. It is like a game that has only one winner.
So my question is should there be a limit to Diss? Share your opinions.
[/color][color=]

(1) (Reply)

The Ancestral Arrow (part 5) / "My Words Are Useless" / 5 Romance New Releases You Should Add To Your TBR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.