Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

My Landlord And I - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord And I (59752 Views)

My Landlord And His Dad Just Beat Up My Co-tenant / My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord And I by neeyor88: 8:10pm On Nov 16, 2019
Please, let your landlord issue you all letter from the same lawyer rendering the former quit notice cancelled. If not, Dont make any payment because it may enter voice mail.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by madgoat(m): 8:10pm On Nov 16, 2019
EaglesT:

The 6months quick notice is not supposed to be paid for

Stop saying rubbish and what you know nothing about. The 6 months notice is to be paid for.

You no even sabi spell sef grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by mrchineke: 8:12pm On Nov 16, 2019
masterpix:
first you need to know that once you are given 6 months notice you don't pay any dime during the NOTICE period as yearly tenants by law. Your landlord wants to play smart on you because you don't know the tenancy law.

Yeah, he shouldn't pay. Because it's your mama house abi? Nonsense, you better go check the law.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by oddessey007(m): 8:13pm On Nov 16, 2019
mrchineke:

Are you serious or are you joking? Who told you another mans property is free because you have been served a notice? Na war for these our people ooo. You better check because you will be committing conversion of someone else's property.
Lol...... I guess he is right, once a notice to quit is issued by a lawyer, the tennant is entitled to 90 days grace to leave the property . Please note that if the notice is served within the valid period of your tennancy. It is expected that you have to vacate the property when your rent expired.
Re: My Landlord And I by gbagyiza: 8:13pm On Nov 16, 2019
Based on my experience, I will like to put these questions directly to u, n if the answers for you are yes, take d house but if otherwise look for another place.
1. Do u have some trust for your landlord?
2. Does he stay away from quarrel?
3. Does he stay in peace with his tenants?
4. Is he a good person?
5. Is his family respected in the environment?
Re: My Landlord And I by Dearlord(m): 8:13pm On Nov 16, 2019
I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019.

Confused is thy thee unto what yeh spake
Re: My Landlord And I by mrchineke: 8:15pm On Nov 16, 2019
oddessey007:

Lol...... I guess he is right, once a notice to quit is issued by a lawyer, the tennant is entitled to 90 days grace to leave the property . Please note that if the notice is served within the valid period of your tennancy. It is expected that you have to vacate the property when your rent expired.

Whatever the story, you are obligated to pay for the time spent in your landlord's property

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 16, 2019
Ancecoker:
The 6 months notice is not for free o brother... U have to pay for every minute spent in another mans property...

Please loud it so that the Social Media Lawyers Saying he won't pay a dime after 6months can hear.

5 Likes

Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 16, 2019
mrchineke:

Nonsense! Who told you anything is free? Is it your papa house? Free ko freedom ni! You will pay unless the landlord expressly waive the payment.

GBAM!
Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 16, 2019
The OP is ignorant.

This is why I don't like having tenants in my property. The OP said he fought with the landlord because light was disconnected because other tenants refused to pay up and the OP ignorantly think the landlord should be able to offset the bills. How do you mean? Why should LANDLORD use his money to offset Nepa bills tenants use? You fought with the Landlord wrongly. You should direct the frustrations on your co-tenant who refused to pay their part

Secondly, tenants always think they are smart. I only blame the Landlord. The Landlord should have served the OP letter six months before the expiry of his tenancy. Since the Landlord has gambled and played into your hands, I think you could technically use the 6 months without pay but that is technically THEFT and a stupid assumptions tenants use to defraud landlords of their legitimate rights.God punish poverty and some tenants.

However, I advise you to have a heart to heart talk with the Landlord and Lawyer. Ask them if they truly want you out of the house or just doing shakara. I don't advise you to use the 6 months and not pay. If you are not interested in the house again, pay the man 50 percent of the year rent and before the time expires, start looking for another house. If you still want to stay in the house and they don't want you out, then pay up and get your receipt. The landlord will not eject you because he need money.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 16, 2019
maryjames9:
[/b]The OP is ignorant.[b]

This is why I don't like having tenants in my property. The OP said he fought with the landlord because light was disconnected because other tenants refused to pay up and the OP ignorantly think the landlord should be able to offset the bills. How do you mean? Why should LANDLORD use his money to offset Nepa bills tenants use? You fought with the Landlord wrongly. You should direct the frustrations on your co-tenant who refused to pay their part

Secondly, tenants always think they are smart. I only blame the Landlord. The Landlord should have served the OP letter six months before the expiry of his tenancy. Since the Landlord has gambled and played into your hands, I think you could technically use the 6 months without pay.

However, I advise you to have a heart to heart talk with the Landlord and Lawyer. Ask them if they truly want you out of the house or just doing shakara. I don't advise you to use the 6 months and not pay. If you are not interested in the house again, pay the man 50 percent of the year rent and before the time expires, start looking for another house. If you still want to stay in the house and they don't want you out, then pay up and get your receipt. The landlord will not eject you because he need money.

Imagine him daring the owner of the house and his generation in the same house he built with his hard earned money.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 16, 2019
The man is not playing any game to worry about. No landlord will want to dispense with a good tenant. The letter was just to threaten you.
I heard, very recently, exactly similar story from a Church member.
Re: My Landlord And I by gbagyiza: 8:21pm On Nov 16, 2019
Based on my experience, I will like to put these questions directly to u, n if the answers for you are yes, take d house but if otherwise look for another place.
1. Do u have some trust for your landlord?
2. Does he stay away from quarrel?
3. Does he stay in peace with his tenants?
4. Does he dislike fetish things?
5. Is his family respected in the environment?
Re: My Landlord And I by femtex007(m): 8:22pm On Nov 16, 2019
Before you pay any money. Tell him to reverse the quit notice first before u pay. It is a trap.
Re: My Landlord And I by yink4life: 8:22pm On Nov 16, 2019
Your wife is very smart!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 16, 2019
Don't pay a dime!

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by abbey621(m): 8:27pm On Nov 16, 2019
This is why I don't play games with my yearly tenants, once it is 6 months till renewal, you get your renewal notice along with a quit notice. This protects everyone in case you decide not to pay or I decide not to collect your money. The tenancy law in Lagos favors tenants so landlords must be very sharp!

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord And I by grandstar(m): 8:27pm On Nov 16, 2019
OMOTOWO:
Good afternoon Nairalanders,

I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019.

Today, my landlord called me and said why have I not come to make enquiry as to why I got the letter.

I told him I know the letter was from a genuine lawyer and I decided not bother in asking him why because I know why .

The reason is not far-fetched from the fact that I quarreled with him twice because of disconnected electricity supply for four days when I was not owing him. I actually fought with him for good two days. I dared him and his generation not to fix the light until I come back from office. The first I did, he didn't reconnect the light but he reconnected the second time .

The light was disconnected because some tenants who occupied other SCs didn't pay theirs. I actually told him to pay and disconnect others who have not paid because I am tired of this kind of monthly occurrence. Somebody like me pay very early. Then, he should have a way as a landlord of getting his money when he pays for everybody instead of every month disconnection.

To cut the story short, he said he has my type as son and there is no way such disagreement will not come to play. He said he didn't actually mean it that he was only threatening me. He said he asked for the letter to be written to me by his lawyer and then he has the right to withdraw the letter too. (I think he needs money and the man is thinking March ending is too long to get another rent for the SC)

He asked me when I am paying the rent. The rent is actually #140k but I told him I will try and credit him #100,000 first. When he dropped the call, I called my wife and explained what happened to her. She let me realize the man is trying to get the six month rent for the quit notice period of six months he gave us. She said we should not play into his hands. I actually remebered the man told me on phone that if I don't have the whole #140k now, I can pay half which is #70,000. This is where I discovered what my wife said might be true .

We are actually trying to leave the house before or by March ending as the notice read before this call.

I hope this man is not trying to play smart though I know we are to pay for the six months of the notice but I don't plan to give him until I am ready to pack.

Should I involve his lawyer because his contacts are written in the letter he gave me ?

Is my landlord real ? Is he trying to play smart to get money for the notice period early? Should I credit him the #100,000? What if he returns #30,000 and claim I only pay for the notice and he keeps dragging issue with me that the notice still hold? I can't afford to loose my #70,000 just like that because the money is for the new accommodation I am looking forward to get? Can I ask him to withdraw the letter first (may be in his wife and my wife presence )?

Lest I forget, my landlord extorts a lot. That's his hobby.

Why shouldn't you pay him for the 6 months?. Are you not staying there? As long as you have possession of the flat, he is entitled to the money.

It will be mean of you not to pay. One day, you might become a landlord and know how it feels

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 16, 2019
AryaSand:

Imagine him daring the owner of the house and his generation in the same house he built with his hard earned money.

My sister, I decide to pencil the agreement letters myself. I don't allow agents to give their agreement letters to tenants. In there, I can decide to give a tenant 3 months quit notice and after that, I can lock up the apartment. Since he has signed it, he has no choice. Tenants always think they are smart and always want to demonize Landlords in this country. I was of the same assumptions until I become a Landlord myself o. grin

Some Landlords took FG mortgage payable for 20 years to build house and some stupid cretins from somewhere think LANDLORD is over reaching for demanding his yearly rents.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by skytreader(m): 8:28pm On Nov 16, 2019
Those saying he doesn't need to pay for the period covered by the quit notice, which law school una go, biko?

OP, since he has taken the step of issuing you a quit notice, any correspondence to/from him or his lawyer ought to be in writing o.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 16, 2019
abbey621:
This is why I don't play games with my yearly tenants, once it is 6 months till renewal, you get your renewal notice along with a quit notice. This protects everyone in case you decide not to pay or I decide not to collect your money. The tenancy law in Lagos favors tenants so landlords must be very sharp!

Sharp guy. Your head dey there. Tenants always want to ruin Landlords. It takes a sharp LANDLORD to stop that.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord And I by Yarsman: 8:32pm On Nov 16, 2019
Hello,it can be done in two ways.
1: quit notice period is actually for you to get yourself another apartment but you must pay for it either willingly or through court order (Tribunal). With your situations in the present apartment I advice you not renew the rent because harmony first,if you have enough cash to sort out your new apartment.
2: if there's no enough cash,call him a d his lawyer to dialogue with him so that the arrangements of the remaining time can be made.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord And I by creamylicious(f): 8:33pm On Nov 16, 2019
Bawizzo:
"I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019."

I don't understand you!!
he is complaining in November, his rent expired in october.... you get?
Re: My Landlord And I by StoneColdBiceps(m): 8:33pm On Nov 16, 2019
OMOTOWO:
Good afternoon Nairalanders,

Today, my landlord called me and said why have I not come to make enquiry as to why I got the letter.

I told him I know the letter was from a genuine lawyer and I decided not bother in asking him why because I know why .

The reason is not far-fetched from the fact that I quarreled with him twice because of disconnected electricity supply for four days when I was not owing him. I actually fought with him for good two days. I dared him and his generation not to fix the light until I come back from office. The first I did, he didn't reconnect the light but he reconnected the second time .

The light was disconnected because some tenants who occupied other SCs didn't pay theirs. I actually told him to pay and disconnect others who have not paid because I am tired of this kind of monthly occurrence. Somebody like me pay very early. Then, he should have a way as a landlord of getting his money when he pays for everybody instead of every month disconnection.

To cut the story short, he said he has my type as son and there is no way such disagreement will not come to play. He said he didn't actually mean it that he was only threatening me. He said he asked for the letter to be written to me by his lawyer and then he has the right to withdraw the letter too. (I think he needs money and the man is thinking March ending is too long to get another rent for the SC)

He asked me when I am paying the rent. The rent is actually #140k but I told him I will try and credit him #100,000 first. When he dropped the call, I called my wife and explained what happened to her. She let me realize the man is trying to get the six month rent for the quit notice period of six months he gave us. She said we should not play into his hands. I actually remebered the man told me on phone that if I don't have the whole #140k now, I can pay half which is #70,000. This is where I discovered what my wife said might be true .

We are actually trying to leave the house before or by March ending as the notice read before this call.

I hope this man is not trying to play smart though I know we are to pay for the six months of the notice but I don't plan to give him until I am ready to pack.

Should I involve his lawyer because his contacts are written in the letter he gave me ?

Is my landlord real ? Is he trying to play smart to get money for the notice period early? Should I credit him the #100,000? What if he returns #30,000 and claim I only pay for the notice and he keeps dragging issue with me that the notice still hold? I can't afford to loose my #70,000 just like that because the money is for the new accommodation I am looking forward to get? Can I ask him to withdraw the letter first (may be in his wife and my wife presence )?

Lest I forget, my landlord extorts a lot. That's his hobby.

You say your landlord exports a lot. That's typical of a Lagos (Yoruba) landlord. They are broke. They always need money.

Above all, I don't see any treat here. He's just broke at the moment. The house is their livelihood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by chloride6: 8:34pm On Nov 16, 2019
ihedioramma:
Hello, if you are paying for one year befor the six months quit notice is free you dont need to pay . If you are paying for six months befor you have three months free because is quit notice you have to use the six months and look for another hause . If you like the hause call the landlord and his lawyer talk face to face, if they don't want you to pack out any more ask the lawyer to give you letter for that .

Who told you the 6 Months is free?

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord And I by oddessey007(m): 8:34pm On Nov 16, 2019
mrchineke:

Whatever the story, you are obligated to pay for the time spent in your landlord's property
No sir, You are under no obligation to pay for the period.
Re: My Landlord And I by skytreader(m): 8:35pm On Nov 16, 2019
maryjames9:

My sister, I decide to pencil the agreement letters myself. I don't allow agents to give their agreement letters to tenants. In there, I can decide to give a tenant 3 months quit notice and after that, I can lock up the apartment. Since he has signed it, he has no choice. Tenants always think they are smart and always want to demonize Landlords in this country. I was of the same assumptions until I become a Landlord myself o. grin

Some Landlords took FG mortgage payable for 20 years to build house and some stupid cretins from somewhere think LANDLORD is over reaching for demanding his yearly rents.

Depending on the jurisdiction, Tenancy laws are usually very specific as regards the period of notice to be issued, according to the nature of the tenancy in question. Please take the time to go through the laws that cover yours. That contract might end up not holding up should it result in litigation.
Re: My Landlord And I by jus4dis: 8:36pm On Nov 16, 2019
ihedioramma:
Hello, if you are paying for one year befor the six months quit notice is free you dont need to pay . If you are paying for six months befor you have three months free because is quit notice you have to use the six months and look for another hause . If you like the hause call the landlord and his lawyer talk face to face, if they don't want you to pack out any more ask the lawyer to give you letter for that .

I still dont know where you guys get this notion that you get a free rent. when you get quit notice.

OP, if you are still interested in servicing your rent - Have the landlord write you through his lawyer that the initial quit notice (dated) is withdrawn and you can continue paying your rent as a sitting tenant.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 16, 2019
Bawizzo:
"I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019."

I don't understand you!!

I bin think say na only me notice that o. May be he wanted to say march 2020
Re: My Landlord And I by ifiokbenzy(m): 8:38pm On Nov 16, 2019
My dear Don't pay for the Six months its standard for you to keep some money and rent a new apartment. Except you wish to renew which I strongly advise against
Re: My Landlord And I by mfm04622: 8:39pm On Nov 16, 2019
ihedioramma:

Do NOT say what you don't know! It is NOT free! You have to pay for it! There is no law anywhere that say you occupy somebody's property for free because they asked you to leave!

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by Nwaonyishi69: 8:39pm On Nov 16, 2019
Na kuru mere case be this o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Roofing sheets: Cost Of Roofing With Stone Coated Tiles In Nigeria best type / Construction Of A 5bedroom Duplex + 2 Flats / Man's House Flooded After 9-Hour Rainfall In Yenagoa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.