Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,346 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo (6985 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 / Shocking Revelation Of What Led To The Death Of Obafemi Awolowo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by EzeUche0(m): 8:54pm On Nov 18, 2010
The Final Legacy of Obafemi Awolowo

Nigeria had launched a blockade on Biafra and Chief Obafemi Awolowo declared "All is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight us harder" (Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Financial Times London, 6/26/1969; Daily Telegraph, 6/27/69). Awolowo was the Vice Chairman of the Federal Military Executive Council of the Nigerian state when he made this statement.

Obafemi Awolowo fanatically championed Nigeria's notorious[b] "Starvation as a legitimate weapon/quick kill" war strategy on Biafra, which resulted in a huge percent of the total Biafran casualty, especially the death of children in their millions.[/b]

Obafemi Awolowo's legacy remains one of those top Nigerian government officials (following in the footstep of Nazi Adolf Hitler), which stated categorically as official Nigeria government policy that starvation is a legitimate instrument of warfare. Nigeria committed the worst genocide since World War II, second only to the Jewish holocaust in its brutality, horror, inhumanity, and brazen barbarism.

It was the "post-war" policies of Awolowo that inflicted the most lasting pain during the time, on those who managed to survive his starvation policy. After Nigeria's genocidal war on Biafra supposed to have ended,the Biafran currency, which was the only legal tender of the survivors of the Biafran siege, was overnight declared worthless  Obafemi Awolowo [Commissioner of Finance], instituted a Nigerian Government policy that confiscated Biafran accounts and gave the Biafrans 20 pounds in exchange for whatever money they had (regardless of balance plus interest) to start life anew on their own. This was deliberate financial/economic strangulation.

The "Indigenisation Decree" which followed soon after the arbitrary award of 20 Pounds  completed the routing of Igbo/Biafrans from the commanding heights of the Nigerian economy.In that indigenization process, penury did not allow Igbo (and other occupied Biafrans) to participate as the collective wealth of Nigeria was handed out only to those who had the cash in hand.Only two years after the war supposed to have ended, when Igbo (Biafrans) were still in their economic doldrums, Chief Obafemi Awolowo contrived to auction off the Nigerian economy to the "indigenes" via the Enterprises Promotion Decree 1974, so-called.

The timing of the policy ensured the effective exclusion of Igbo (Biafrans) from ownership in Nigeria's industrial sector, as they lacked the financial muscle to participate. As "the vanquished" were dispossessed of what they had, "the victors" were deliberately empowered through the banks to purchase the Nigerian "national"[illusion ary that is] patrimony. It could be said that Chief Awolowo was not only a proven bedfellow of the Nigerian military establishment, but he also sanctioned the tacit gang-up by the North and West to use authoritarian military rule to keep the occupied Biafrans marginalized for the next decades.

Worse, to add insult to injury on Biafrans, Awolowo's portrait is on the Nigerian Naira, and the people of former Eastern Region of Nigeria, especially the Igbo (Biafrans) were supposed to celebrate Awolowo as a National hero. Whose Nation? Awolowo is MONUMENTAL for Economic/Financial strangualtion of Igbo (Biafrans), yet he is celebrated on the Nigerian Naira. Why not put him on the 20 Naira note?
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by EzeUche0(m): 8:54pm On Nov 18, 2010
I hope he rots in hell that SOB. . . angry

1 Like

Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 8:57pm On Nov 18, 2010
Now, here is the REAL TRUTH about that demon!

His children and their "husbands" are here trying desperately to change history and secure an immaculate legacy for the devil!

Laughing so hard.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by jason12345: 9:02pm On Nov 18, 2010
eze, you do not have an ounce of sense in you (with all due respect).

do you expect your enemy to feed you in a war?? when you fight, should you enemy also give you the weapons to kill him??
do you know that oukwu was using money to bribe the "red cross"  to import weapons into biafra? when he invaded the mid-west, did he not think of the atrocities his soldiers might have committed to the innocent citizens??

think about it! read and know what went on before, during and after the war with awo and ojukwu before you start saying anything.

even the northerners have started noticing the way biafrans are changing history on NL.

may Almighty God help you!
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 9:03pm On Nov 18, 2010
A devil spoke about the immorality of fighting against a seceding Eastern region.
Guess what he did when the war started, we schemed to kill innocent children by starving them to death.

Combatant war casuality in Biafra was about 110,000 Biafran soldiers. On the Nigerian side it was over 250,000 Nigerian soldiers dead.

In Biafran side nearly 2 million children, old people and women STARVED TO DEATH.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by EzeUche0(m): 9:06pm On Nov 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

A devil spoke about the immorality of fighting against a seceding Eastern region.
Guess what he did when the war started, we schemed to kill innocent children by starving them to death.

Combatant war casuality in Biafra was about 110,000 Biafran soldiers. On the Nigerian side it was over 250,000 Nigerian soldiers dead.

In Biafran side nearly 2 million children, old people and women STARVED TO DEATH.

This boy actually wants us to believe that those people posting on threads are actually "northerners." I find it funny.

Northerners do not concern themselves with southern squabble. They are more concerned with GEJ right now.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 9:08pm On Nov 18, 2010
EzeUche0:

This boy actually wants us to believe that those people posting on threads are actually "northerners." I find it funny.

Northerners do not concern themselves with southern squabble. They are more concerned with GEJ right now.

You'll be surprised how interested they are in division of the south (though I don't care anymore).
Awolowo is a devil and is now dancing Owambe in HELL.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 9:11pm On Nov 18, 2010
What type of a character speaks of immorality of fighting against a group, and then makes a 180 degree turn to try to annihilate and kill INNOCENT CHILDREN?

What type of a demon does that?
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by chyz(m): 9:12pm On Nov 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

You'll be surprised how interested they are in division of the south (though I don't care anymore).
Awolowo is a devil and is now dancing Owambe in HELL.

Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by olafolarin(m): 9:14pm On Nov 18, 2010
And why are you people running away from this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-553304.0.html

Truth they said is better.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by aljharem(m): 9:16pm On Nov 18, 2010
are u people mad angry angry angry angry

this man that told ojukwu to not fight a war u are calling a devil

exeuche ,onlytruth and dede, i believe demons are working in u people

why not accept the truth angry angry
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by chyz(m): 9:16pm On Nov 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

What type of a character speaks of immorality of fighting against a group, and then makes a 180 degree turn to try to annihilate and kill INNOCENT CHILDREN?

What type of a demon does that?  

A serpent

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMg7lQv29Qa-S9E1qwiQf3FT1YE9X96A_dgnfFEgMpTXlDpn7UkA[/img]
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by jason12345: 9:16pm On Nov 18, 2010
olafolarin:

And why are you people running away from this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-553304.0.html

Truth they said is better.

i ta ya oooo!  why don't you want to face the truth??

chyz:

Amen.

God forbid!!! its ojukwu that would go to hell for the killing of biafrans. don't you guys see it was pride that killed you and is still killing you
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by chyz(m): 9:19pm On Nov 18, 2010
jason12345:

God forbid!!! its awolowo that would go to hell for the killing of biafrans. don't you guys see it was pride that killed you and is still killing you

You are NOT YORUBA. You are ITSEKIRI.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 9:19pm On Nov 18, 2010
jason12345:

God forbid!!! its ojukwu that would go to hell for the killing of biafrans. don't you guys see it was pride that killed you and is still killing you

You always sound so childish.
You think that issues of life and death, survival and annihilation can be reduced to PRIDE?  

That is why I think that you guys are clueless.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by jason12345: 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

You think that issues of life and death, survival and annihilation can be reduced to PRIDE?  

and you sound mature lol. it was pride that killed biafra and its still pride that is killing it!
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2010
alj harem:

are u people mad angry angry angry angry

this man that told ojukwu to not fight a war u are calling a devil

exeuche ,onlytruth and dede,  i believe demons are working in u people

why not accept the truth angry angry

almajiri please go back to chewing cud. we don't have time for you here.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by aljharem(m): 9:23pm On Nov 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

almajiri please go back to chewing cud. we don't have time for you here.

do i look like a cattle rearer to u

why can u people admit the truth for ones in ur bloody lifes INYAMIRIAS WHY angry
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by chyz(m): 9:24pm On Nov 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

Even with awolowos evil policy we still defeated the nigerian army. That proves that his whole goal was to kill of the Igbos as a people and get rid of the competition the Igbos gave his people so that they could be relevant in nigeria. He's an evil bastard and i hope his bones decompose faster than ever recorded on earth. Yorubas(who were the weakest in the army) speak the most shyt but notice how the Hausa and other northerners, and southerners never speak about the astrocities they commited because they know it was wrong.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by EzeUche0(m): 9:25pm On Nov 18, 2010
alj harem:

do i look like a cattle rearer to u

why can u people admit the truth for ones in your bloody lifes INYAMIRIAS WHY angry

You know Northerners hate Awolowo with a passion as well Mr. Closet Yoruba.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 9:25pm On Nov 18, 2010
jason12345:

and you sound mature lol. it was pride that killed biafra and its still pride that is killing it!

I told you that you sound childish and I mean it.

The success or failure of Biafra has nothing to do with pride. TREACHERY played a leading role, like the one your devil ancestor Awo played. Ojukwu was young and naive and called him papa.

We've had 40 years to learn Nigeria and suffice it to say that Biafra's success will happen irrespective of what the rest of Nigeria wants.

If it EVER starts, you will understand. I speak as a typical Igboman.

Igbo say that "one twig in the bush can never pluck two eyes at two different times".
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by aljharem(m): 9:33pm On Nov 18, 2010
EzeUche0:

You know Northerners hate Awolowo with a passion as well Mr. Closet Yoruba.

why would i or any northerner hate Awolowo with a passion angry

pls i would like to know ur answer

so because some people in the north hate awolowo, i mean i should hate him too and lie about him like u inyamarai

u have to understand that we northerners are not like u people in the south

WE DO NOT LIKE TERTORS AND DISHONEST PEOPLE

WE DO NOT LIKE LIES!!!! FACT angry
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 18, 2010
Ibo was enemy of nigeria and he had to do what he deemed fit to protect the sovereignity of the nigerian-state.you guys should blame ojukwu who ran away dressed up in skirt and spaghetti top.hmm,gallant soldier indeed !
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 9:38pm On Nov 18, 2010
alj harem:

why would i or any northerner hate Awolowo with a passion angry

pls i would like to know your answer

so because some people in the north hate awolowo, i mean i should hate him too and lie about him like u inyamarai

u have to understand that we northerners are not like u people in the south

WE DO NOT LIKE TERTORS AND DISHONEST PEOPLE

WE DO NOT LIKE LIES!!!!
 FACT angry

If any of the bolded is true, then you have no business praising a known liar and somersaulter like Awolowo.

A man who rails against fighting the eastern region for seceding, yet turns around to starve innocent children to death in millions.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by EzeUche0(m): 9:39pm On Nov 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Ibo was enemy of nigeria and he had to do what he deemed fit to protect the sovereignity of the nigerian-state.you guys should blame ojukwu who ran away dressed up in skirt and spaghetti top.hmm,gallant soldier indeed !

My nemesis, I thought you were steering clear of topics such as these?

Why would anyone want to protect the sovereignty of the Nigerian State? You all already hate the Igbo so why would you want us to stay in the union?
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 9:42pm On Nov 18, 2010
EzeUche0:

My nemesis, I thought you were steering clear of topics such as these?

Why would anyone want to protect the sovereignty of the Nigerian State? You all already hate the Igbo so why would you want us to stay in the union?

He is staying out of fear of Aboki. lmao! grin grin
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by aljharem(m): 9:42pm On Nov 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

If any of the bolded is true, then you have no business praising a known liar and somersaulter like Awolowo.

A man who rails against fighting the eastern region for seceding, yet turns around to starve innocent children to death in millions.  

can u tell me how

if it is because of the blockade, then u are dumb because ur soldiers were going to there region without an invitation, and that what u get for invading another man's land.(FULL STOP)
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by aljharem(m): 9:42pm On Nov 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

He is staying out of fear of Aboki. lmao! grin grin

WHO IS AN ur ABOKI angry angry angry
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Onlytruth(m): 9:43pm On Nov 18, 2010
alj harem:

WHO IS AN your ABOKI angry angry angry

In Igbo, "Aboki" means goat. hehehe! grin grin grin
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by aljharem(m): 9:52pm On Nov 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

In Igbo, "Aboki" means goat. hehehe! grin grin grin
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry grin

u just dey vex person sha kai grin
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 3:12am On Dec 03, 2010
This is not an occasion to stir up emotions,but it is impossible to forget that men women and children from kith and kin were taking out of their beds and slaughtered.They were massacred in the places of worship,in the streets, in the market place and in vehicles trying to carry them to safety FROM ODIMEGWU OJUKWU,
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 3:21pm On Dec 03, 2010
My people of eastern region,the existence of european post-colonial state is inimical to interest of african people.It is a state that cannot provide the fundamental needs of AFRICANS.African humanity is perennially gripped in grave crisis for survival, l

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo People Prostrate And Apologised To Deji Of Akure-picture Inside / Atiku Lists His Achievements As Vice President / Tinubu Should Just Appoint This Man As A Chief Of Staff.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.