Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,473 members, 7,801,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much (6347 Views)

Tinubu Administration Would Favour The North, more than the south / 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? / Which Tribe Will Restructuring Favour The More? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Osaze007: 3:27pm On Nov 17, 2019
ProudDick:

Tell me when they handed power to them or shut up. Until shagari in 1979 no Fulani ruled Nigeria.

You idiots see everybody from the north as Fulani because of your inferiority complex.

Sultan of sokoto via tafawa balewa
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by LegendHero(m): 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2019
Most of you guys on here don’t get the true picture of the happenings and you’re just attributing too much power to the Fulanis or let me say Northerners in general.

The British invaded the North during those 1890s and they conquer each region one after the other. Infact the fulanis have a prophecy then that after a certain number of sultanate, the Fulani empire will collapse, that date corresponds to sometimes in 1912 or so. All these are documented in the New York Times Archives.

I have all the news when the British invade every part of Nigeria. I know how they conquered Nupes, Benins, Oyo empire, Ilorin sultanate, etc. Those are well documented in prints on a day by day basis.

The Northerners are not handed power by the whites, Nigeria constitution itself handed power to the North. North believe in homogeneity such that it’s hard to divide them among NE/NW/NC during Nigeria formative days. But the south are made up of Western and Eastern region both with the same ambition.

North controls everything in Nigeria because of their enormous population most times fake. Zik was also a part of the wrong coz Awolowo raised the alarm in 1963 census that the North rigged the numbers by giving 31million to the North but Zik was too blinded by his loyalty to the North that he looked the other way.

Check Nigeria election even within states, the majority LG always decide who rules a state. In Oyo state for example, if Ibadan people support any aspiring governor in their majority then that person is already governor.

North is ruling Nigeria not because they are wise or because they are handed by the British, it’s because of their population and because we practice this kind of democracy. The northerners also know this fact which explains why they keep giving birth to children even if they don’t have a means to cater for them. It is their best bet to survival in this entity called Nigeria.

Hear this, even if the Yorubas and Igbos form an alliance, they will still need the north. Both Awolowo and Azikwe are not stupid, they also know what we are saying now, but they are helpless. Although Awolowo is still more radical coz he fought the north till his death and he lived most of his life in opposition. Zik ambition to rule made him subservient to the north and that also affected Nigeria a lot.

The best bet is to change Nigeria way of democracy or breakup the country to break the hold of the North on Nigeria. If status quo remains, the North will forever decide who rules Nigeria and the Igbos and Yorubas will NEVER ally together in politics.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by wirinet(m): 4:05pm On Nov 17, 2019
LegendHero:
Most of you guys on here don’t get the true picture of the happenings and you’re just attributing too much power to the Fulanis or let me say Northerners in general.

The British invaded the North during those 1890s and they conquer each region one after the other. Infact the fulanis have a prophecy then that after a certain number of sultanate, the Fulani empire will collapse, that date corresponds to sometimes in 1912 or so. All these are documented in the New York Times Archives.

I have all the news when the British invade every part of Nigeria. I know how they conquered Nupes, Benins, Oyo empire, Ilorin sultanate, etc. Those are well documented in prints on a day by day basis.

The Northerners are not handed power by the whites, Nigeria constitution itself handed power to the North. North believe in homogeneity such that it’s hard to divide them among NE/NW/NC during Nigeria formative days. But the south are made up of Western and Eastern region both with the same ambition.

North controls everything in Nigeria because of their enormous population most times fake. Zik was also a part of the wrong coz Awolowo raised the alarm in 1963 census that the North rigged the numbers by giving 31million to the North but Zik was too blinded by his loyalty to the North that he looked the other way.

Check Nigeria election even within states, the majority LG always decide who rules a state. In Oyo state for example, if Ibadan people support any aspiring governor in their majority then that person is already governor.

North is ruling Nigeria not because they are wise or because they are handed by the British, it’s because of their population and because we practice this kind of democracy. The northerners also know this fact which explains why they keep giving birth to children even if they don’t have a means to cater for them. It is their best bet to survival in this entity called Nigeria.

Hear this, even if the Yorubas and Igbos form an alliance, they will still need the north. Both Awolowo and Azikwe are not stupid, they also know what we are saying now, but they are helpless. Although Awolowo is still more radical coz he fought the north till his death and he lived most of his life in opposition. Zik ambition to rule made him subservient to the north and that also affected Nigeria a lot.

The best bet is to change Nigeria way of democracy or breakup the country to break the hold of the North on Nigeria. If status quo remains, the North will forever decide who rules Nigeria and the Igbos and Yorubas will NEVER ally together in politics.

I strongly disagree that the north can defeat an alliance between the east and west. Harmony between the east and west will also bring in the south south and the Middle belt. One major problem with the east is that they have voter apathy. Their voting numbers are always very poor. In the north east and North West, the voter participation is very high, many northerners travel from from places they live just to vote. You will see kilometres long queues during elections.
If the west and East form a harmonious political alliance, the Niger delta and middle belt,especially Benue, kwara and kogi will follow them. It will make things very difficult for North west and North East.
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by LegendHero(m): 4:21pm On Nov 17, 2019
wirinet:

I strongly disagree that the north can defeat an alliance between the east and west. Harmony between the east and west will also bring in the south south and the Middle belt. One major problem with the east is that they have voter apathy. Their voting numbers are always very poor. In the north east and North West, the voter participation is very high, many northerners travel from from places they live just to vote. You will see kilometres long queues during elections.
If the west and East form a harmonious political alliance, the Niger delta and middle belt,especially Benue, kwara and kogi will follow them. It will make things very difficult for North west and North East.

We are still saying the same thing. The denominator here is population coz what you meant is that the south needs to have high voters turnout for election to be able to win the North.

The North are very politically active. I think maybe they have planted an ideology on themselves such that they have been told that they have to control power or else they will suffer.

Infact most northerners always travel back home in their numbers to vote in an election even people without Tfare will go back in the back of trucks to vote.

There will always be voters apathy tho, even in America there is voter apathy among the blacks such that Obama had to solicit, beg and rally them during the Hilary Clinton election and yet they only deliver 59% of turnout rate.

In science it’s either you keep other factors constant or you factor them into your experiment. Voter apathy will always remain in the south because most are educated and already lost hope in the system. The southerners youth that always play football on the day of election is who you’re telling to vote? The southerners youth that don’t even know the importance of election such that we rather camp a girl on Election Day than vote.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by adekolaelect(m): 4:57pm On Nov 17, 2019
They had one voice and leadership skills .
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by ProudDick: 7:21pm On Nov 17, 2019
Osaze007:

Sultan of sokoto via tafawa balewa

What concerns sultan with balewa?
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by ChoCho54(f): 8:38pm On Nov 17, 2019
Kapilta:
please remove pa Awo from the thing abeg. Was it not useless zik that turn himself to slave for the north even when they didn't ask for his slavery service. He fought Awo for no reason when the man was only trying to protect his own, zik went behind him and align with the fulanis just to become a useless ceremonial president. Such a useless greedy fellow. May he rot in hell.

Nigeria failure started on him, even the north really do not want one nigeria, he forced it on them all for greediness so he can have lagos all to himself..

Such a useless fellow. May he rot in hell again, he's the major reason we are all here today.
Even though I suspect you are speaking from an emotional point of view, I as an Igbo woman, I totally agree with you.

My greatest pain in everything is that there's no way out except through another bout of violence and bloodshed. I can't even begin to imagine how it would be seeing my children suffer in a war situation. Hmmm..
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 17, 2019
Zooposki:

[s]Meanwhile, DNA shows the Yorubas have a higher proportion of Hebrew Israelites than the Igbos. [/s]grin cheesy

Who dash monkey banana black hebrew. Just as you criminals claim you are the most educated yet Igbos lead. Just stop your propaganda. Not just Black Hebrew in mouth but do you look like black hebrew? Yorubas look like Kenyans, South Sudanese...cone top skull, skinny, not hairy, dark skin, no muscles or well built, these are characteristics of black African Hamites.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Osaze007: 1:03am On Nov 18, 2019
johndoexxx:

Who dash monkey banana black hebrew. Just as you criminals claim you are the most educated yet Igbos lead. Just stop your propaganda. Not just Black Hebrew in mouth but do you look like black hebrew? Yorubas look like Kenyans, South Sudanese...cone top skull, skinny, not hairy, dark skin, no muscles or well built, these are characteristics of black African Hamites.

Yorubas are the most educated

1 Like

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by IGBOSON1: 4:01am On Nov 18, 2019
QuotaSystem:

Severe delusion of grandeur.

Zik was so busy in partnership with the North (to the utter disgust of Awo), so if you claim the North was being controlled by the British, it only means Zik was also under control of the British through the Northerners.

Think.

Zik was working with whom he felt more comfortable with! Basically, playing the cards he'd been dealt with! It was either the north or western region, and given his experiences with Awo and his action group, his choice didn't come as a surprise!

We have said time without number that Zik was naive to believe in 'one Nigeria' given the benefit of hindsight! But he did....and he must have weighed his options before deciding to align with the region he felt was the 'lesser of the two evils'.

Awos' sentiments on the matter is neither here nor there as Zik himself could have equally been disgusted with Awo antics!

Your point is moot though because the facts as they were and are today is that the Igbo that still believe in 'one Nigeria' have to be engaged in Nigerian politics one way or the other. Now if a secessionist like Mazi Kanu was working in partnership with the northern political elite and you called him out on it, i'd have said you're on to something!

Think mate...think!

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Aderr: 8:29pm On Nov 18, 2019
Blankstare:

Reading the activities of southern pressure groups during the colonial era isn't the subject matter the o.p wants to know, but how the fulanis Lord's and subjugated fellow Nigerians eversince. It's simple, a design the British believed will siute their agenda of poor husband and rich bride. You should read up the ' dual mandate' my friend.
My friend, I just made it clear to you why the British favoured the north against the south. The north was malleable and docile. Every other thing you adduce for that is just conjecture.
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by 2mch(m): 8:56pm On Nov 18, 2019
British only support willing puppets. Hausas are the calmest of all major groups in Nigeria. They are actually quite docile. Which is why Fulani was able to use them as a ladder and relegate them. The British handed over power to Hausas.

Yoruba were too cunning and fought the most for independence, outsmarting the Brits a lot. Then the speed at which the region was growing and their ability to use British laws and systems against the Brits was alarming. Zik even learned his politics from the West.

The Igbo could not be trusted either because they had no real unifying factor when it comes to traditional institutions. Their republican nature makes them a possibly volatile group. They are also quite stubborn, unpredictable and ambitious. Edo were too small in number to be given power. Other major groups would easily out run them as soon as the Brits turn their backs.

Now, the Hausa had the largest population, served under an emirate, largely uneducated, trusting and straightforward. The choice for continued British involvement in Nigeria is obvious. Fulani is a minority group and does not have the power really, it’s the Hausa that do.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by T9ksy(m): 9:23pm On Nov 18, 2019
IGBOSON1:

Zik was working with whom he felt more comfortable with! Basically, playing the cards he'd been dealt with! It was either the north or western region, and given his experiences with Awo and his action group, his choice didn't come as a surprise!

We have said time without number that Zik was naive to believe in 'one Nigeria' given the benefit of hindsight! But he did....and he must have weighed his options before deciding to align with the region he felt was the 'lesser of the two evils'.

Awos' sentiments on the matter is neither here nor there as Zik himself could have equally been disgusted with Awo antics!

Your point is moot though because the facts as they were and are today is that the Igbo that still believe in 'one Nigeria' have to be engaged in Nigerian politics one way or the other. Now if a secessionist like Mazi Kanu was working in partnership with the northern political elite and you called him out on it, i'd have said you're on to something!

Think mate...think!

@ bolded above.........................so you mean zik was more comfortable with the northerners who have been killing his people since 1945 than the yorubas who have not threatened the physical existence of his people? Furthermore, what exactly were zik's experiences with Awo and his people that propelled the former and his kinfolks to su.ck up to those up north who takes grate delight in decimating their population within their region? I do hope you will come up with something new and not the alleged "carpet-crossing" in western region premiership election.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by IGBOSON1: 2:17am On Nov 19, 2019
T9ksy:

@ bolded above.........................so you mean zik was more comfortable with the northerners who have been killing his people since 1945 than the yorubas who have not threatened the physical existence of his people? Furthermore, what exactly were zik's experiences with Awo and his people that propelled the former and his kinfolks to su.ck up to those up north who takes grate delight in decimating their population within their region? I do hope you will come up with something new and not the alleged "carpet-crossing" in western region premiership election.

YES...Zik was more comfortable aligning with the north, as he saw them as more trustworthy! You have a problem with that? And YES again....the major (but not the only) reason for this was the cross-carpeting incident in the Western parliament at the time! Zik probably found it harder to fathom how a people he had lived and worked with for most of his adult life could be so two-faced and treacherous to fall back on ethnic-inspired politicking just to gain power!

Of course like i've always posited, Zik was a bit naive to think Nigeria was ripe for the type of unity and nationhood he had envisioned that led him to support a Fulani man becoming the first Mayor of Enugu! Awo soon brought him back down to earth with a thump! But i cut Zik some slack b'cos his naivete was as a consequence of his pan-Nigerian upbringing and political tutelage. Zik was a true Nigerian....even up to a fault!

The murdering of Igbos in the north pre-independence was not done by the Sardauna! He didn't send them out to kill Igbos, so why should Zik not prefer dealing with him? On that anti-Igbo interview the Sardauna gave: what i take from that (and which for the most part is true of the core muslim north) is that if northerners don't like you, they will say so to your face so at least you know what you're dealing with and where you stand with them ab-initio! This wasn't the case with the likes of Awo, and Ziks' preference to go with the north was later to be proved right going by Awos' utterances and actions in the leadup to and during the uncivil war! If a northerner wants to stick a dagger in you, he will stick it in your guts....face to face, and not wait till you turn so he can stick it up to the hilt in your back like the likes of Awo would do!

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by 7lives: 7:36am On Nov 19, 2019
IGBOSON1:

YES...Zik was more comfortable aligning with the north, as he saw them as more trustworthy! You have a problem with that? And YES again....the major (but not the only) reason for this was the cross-carpeting incident in the Western parliament at the time! Zik probably found it harder to fathom how a people he had lived and worked with for most of his adult life could be so two-faced and treacherous to fall back on ethnic-inspired politicking just to gain power!

Of course like i've always posited, Zik was a bit naive to think Nigeria was ripe for the type of unity and nationhood he had envisioned that led him to support a Fulani man becoming the first Mayor of Enugu! Awo soon brought him back down to earth with a thump! But i cut Zik some slack b'cos his naivete was as a consequence of his pan-Nigerian upbringing and political tutelage. Zik was a true Nigerian....even up to a fault!

The murdering of Igbos in the north pre-independence was not done by the Sardauna! He didn't send them out to kill Igbos, so why should Zik not prefer dealing with him? On that anti-Igbo interview the Sardauna gave: what i take from that (and which for the most part is true of the core muslim north) is that if northerners don't like you, they will say so to your face so at least you know what you're dealing with and where you stand with them ab-initio! This wasn't the case with the likes of Awo, and Ziks' preference to go with the north was later to be proved right going by Awos' utterances and actions in the leadup to and during the uncivil war! If a northerner wants to stick a dagger in you, he will stick it in your guts....face to face, and not wait till you turn so he can stick it up to the hilt in your back like the likes of Awo would do!

Thank God for the cross carpeting, Igbos would have been calling the Yorubas mumu today. the British created three regions dominated by three ethnic groups, it is proper for an Hausas to rule the north buts it's is not proper for Yorubas to rule the west.
When Zik went back to the Eastern region, the premier then was a minority, did Zik not kicked him out to take control of the Eastern region?.
Zik took a decision which he felt was good enough for his political ambition, did he not delayed the indendence of Southern Nigeria to make sure the north is also ready?.
Cross carpeting by the Yorubas is the reason Zik cornived with the north to remove mid west, Okuns and Igbominas from the SW map?.
I am personally happy that Zik pitch his tenth with the north, at least we can make reference to this, rather than Igbos making reference to how SW was once an Igbo colony, because the likes of Awo refused to open their eyes.

4 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by nku5: 8:15am On Nov 19, 2019
Osaze007:
I was just wondering
What is middlebelt today wasn’t North it was for west and east
Also if you look at fight for independence you see mainly Yoruba Igbo Niger delta
But when it was time to hand over power Na Fulani Dem give

During civil war Fulani enjoyed British support
During military rule same thing

So any reasons for this particular phenomenon

Also shame on zik and Awo for not working together
If they did Nigeria would have been built into an equitable union not the one they were antagonist against each other

The British made sure that Awo & Zik did not work together. Classic divide and rule.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by myobjective: 9:13am On Nov 19, 2019
ZZ22:
Before the civil war how powerful was the Fulani? The fact is Nigerian people handed over to Fulani after they connived with Fulani against Igbos and in turn what did Nigerians get as reward after their connivance with Fulani? a messed up country and a demonic constitution that has put Nigerians in chains and checks of the Caliphate.

The power of Fulani is a filament of your own imagination, Fulanis are not powerful and have not really been favour in the contest most you always look at it from.

Which of the indexes of development can you truly say, the Fulani has benefited from the country called Nigeria than any other group?

Do they receive more money from the federal government than others?

Are they more populous in civil service and the military than others?

Do they enjoy the state partnership than others?

The reality is that the structure of Nigeria being a centralized system of government will always promote laziness from some quotas because will always be handed down every month irrespective of what the state does.

The Yorubas and Hausas were in a much better position than the Igbos when the colonialist came if one group should thankful for colonialist intervention that group should the Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by myobjective: 9:16am On Nov 19, 2019
nku5:

The British made sure that Awo & Zik did not work together. Classic divide and rule.

No it wasn't the British, it was the politics of hate and envy being practice newly created artificial African States.

Zik wanted everything that the Yorubas has been blessed with, be it deep coastal shore, huge civilization, Lagos, arable Interland etc.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Blankstare(m): 10:36am On Nov 19, 2019
Aderr:
My friend, I just made it clear to you why the British favoured the north against the south. The north was malleable and docile. Every other thing you adduce for that is just conjecture.

Accepted, most of your reasons were then immediate ones.. for the Brits, remote cause is because they were monolithic, politically savvy, more advanced in communal thinking etc.
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Yujin(m): 11:44am On Nov 19, 2019
7lives:

Forgive Zik, Zik had a dream of a great Nigeria, he wants to rule, to bring this dream to reality.
He didn't know that dreams sometimes die first,, this is Africa white men may have lumped us together, can our minds and thinking be equally lumped together?, this is where Zik got it all wrong and why Yorubas will always see him as a sell out.
Since Abraham Adesanya, Yorubas have resolved to only carry only Yoruba loads and nothing more.

I share your opinion on Zik. He was sincerely wrong. It was quite unfortunate.
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Yujin(m): 11:54am On Nov 19, 2019
myobjective:

No it wasn't the British, it was the politics of hate and envy being practice newly created artificial African States.

Zik wanted everything that the Yorubas has been blessed with, be it deep coastal shore, huge civilization, Lagos, arable Interland etc.
Not true. The East had all those too. Ziks problem was he was pan African and he felt being the oldest among the three and having succeeded Herbert Macaulay, he should steer the ship and unite all Africa. The British will have non of this and they played him by handing the power to the fulanis who they knew they could easily get to do their bidding. I once read about Zik troubling the colonists when they discovered crude oil in the eastern hinterland around 1940s. He insisted that the communities where the discovery was made should be actively involved and he used the Newspaper he was publishing them to create a great awareness. This angered the British and they left the hinterland and went close to the shores away from where Ziks influence wasn't solid. I'll search for that document again. He wasn't jealous of the Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Yujin(m): 12:04pm On Nov 19, 2019
2mch:
British only support willing puppets. Hausas are the calmest of all major groups in Nigeria. They are actually quite docile. Which is why Fulani was able to use them as a ladder and relegate them. The British handed over power to Hausas.

Yoruba were too cunning and fought the most for independence, outsmarting the Brits a lot. Then the speed at which the region was growing and their ability to use British laws and systems against the Brits was alarming. Zik even learned his politics from the West.

The Igbo could not be trusted either because they had no real unifying factor when it comes to traditional institutions. Their republican nature makes them a possibly volatile group. They are also quite stubborn, unpredictable and ambitious. Edo were too small in number to be given power. Other major groups would easily out run them as soon as the Brits turn their backs.

Now, the Hausa had the largest population, served under an emirate, largely uneducated, trusting and straightforward. The choice for continued British involvement in Nigeria is obvious. Fulani is a minority group and does not have the power really, it’s the Hausa that do.
As at when the British invaded Nigeria and seized our collective sovereignty, the fulanis were already ruling majority of the Hausa states. That means the Hausas had no political leaders to represent them before the British. No Hausa can dispute that here. However, the fulani overlords never appeared as though they were conquering the Hausas. They used religion to mask everything such that the Hausas didn't suspect anything. They even attempted that on the Nupes. It was the British that assisted the Nupes to reclaim their throne by insisting that the right Prince emerge as the Etsu Nupe. Hausas have already lost it politically, only their language and little of their culture remain.
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by T9ksy(m): 12:07pm On Nov 19, 2019
IGBOSON1:

Hell no, I & ( by extension yorubas) have no problem with zik aligning with the murderers of his people simply 'cause he felt at home with them. Especially when we consider the result of zik's as.slicking TB's backside saw the ibos taking 90% of all ministerial posts earmarked for the south after their master ,the north have taken their fill which is a bit of a problem as the north don't have enough professionals to fill these posts. That was why at independence, our PM was a Grade II teacher whilst his sidekick was a PhD holder.

Another instance is education where ibos became VC in all the higher institutions in the yorubaland but could do the same in the north. This was at a time when yorubas were aggressively pursuing western education like it's going out of fashion. This was the same time when it's common to have at least one PhD holder among the ekitis.

The VCs promptly filled their academic staff with their kith and kins so much so that, yoruba graduates couldn't secure employment in their own region 'cause greedy ibos have the whole lot. I guess, this was the monopolisation zik talked about in 1949 at the one year anniversary of the Ibo State Union.

You guys are just incredible! I mean, you can understand when the sardunna claimed " North for north.........." but you can not fathom why the yorubas would want one of their own to manage her affairs. I make bold to suggest that had zik won that regional election in western Nigeria, ibos would have done exactly as they did in the 1st republic- take most of the jobs available in the region..

Ibos' main grouse with Awo is 'cause they were made to believe by their scheming mischievous leaders that it was pa Awo that scuppered their ambition in taking over their adversary's region. However, the truth is NCNC did not win that election in question. NCNC did not even campaign in the north never mind the chance of becoming premier there. He knew what would become of his people had they attempted such a strategy.

Yeah, of course, zik was a true Nigerian.........as long as his people have the rein of power in the country but unfortunately no one wants to be
under the tutelage of the covetous folks.

Ol' boy, stop making excuses for your slave master. Nothing transpired in the north of the country without the knowledge and acceptance of the sardunna. Sardunna's indigenisation policy put paid to zik's One Nigeria. His BBC interview which you guys termed hate speech was meant to protect his people , land, culture etc from been over-run by the ibos

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by T9ksy(m): 1:09pm On Nov 19, 2019
7lives:

Thank God for the cross carpeting, Igbos would have been calling the Yorubas mumu today. the British created three regions dominated by three ethnic groups, it is proper for an Hausas to rule the north buts it's is not proper for Yorubas to rule the west.
When Zik went back to the Eastern region, the premier then was a minority, did Zik not kicked him out to take control of the Eastern region?.
Zik took a decision which he felt was good enough for his political ambition, did he not delayed the indendence of Southern Nigeria to make sure the north is also ready?.
Cross carpeting by the Yorubas is the reason Zik cornived with the north to remove mid west, Okuns and Igbominas from the SW map?.
I am personally happy that Zik pitch his tenth with the north, at least we can make reference to this, rather than Igbos making reference to how SW was once an Igbo colony, because the likes of Awo refused to open their eyes.

My brother, please don't fall for the usual ibo's propaganda of calumny against Awo and the yorubas. There was no carpet crossings for the fact that Ncnc did not win that election. Ask them for the election result they predicate their lies on and you find them crawling back to their hamlet only to resurface later regurgitating the same fallacy without an iota of proof

@ bolded........actually this was the agreement between the 3 main protagonists to provide minority groups within each region (north, west and eastern regions) their own political identity withinthe new nation.

However, once awo (and his immediate close advisers) had been sent to jail by the NPC/NCNC govt on a trumped- up charge, both zik and the sardunna reneged on the agreement.

It's instructive to note also that the 1st premier of the new mid west region was another ibo man.

5 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by 7lives: 6:37pm On Nov 19, 2019
T9ksy:

My brother, please don't fall for the usual ibo's propaganda of calumny against Awo and the yorubas. There was no carpet crossings for the fact that Ncnc did not win that election. Ask them for the election result they predicate their lies on and you find them crawling back to their hamlet only to resurface later regurgitating the same fallacy without an iota of proof

@ bolded........actually this was the agreement between the 3 main protagonists to provide minority groups within each region (north, west and eastern regions) their own political identity withinthe new nation.

However, once awo (and his immediate close advisers) had been sent to jail by the NPC/NCNC govt on a trumped- up charge, both zik and the sardunna reneged on the agreement.

It's instructive to note also that the 1st premier of the new mid west region was another ibo man.

Thank you for this wonderful information.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by T9ksy(m): 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2019
7lives:

Thank you for this wonderful information.

My pleasure, bro.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Osaze007: 11:55pm On Nov 19, 2019
Even prime minister of Singapore noticed it

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Osaze007: 11:59pm On Nov 19, 2019
myobjective:

Yup he realized Yorubas were incredibly blessed
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by Area4Area: 12:52am On Nov 20, 2019
horsepower101:

Totally agree.
Why won't you agree when you can't make research, the French never colonised Rwanda.
Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by rosebowl01(m): 1:27am On Nov 20, 2019
ZZ22:
Before the civil war how powerful was the Fulani? The fact is Nigerian people handed over to Fulani after they connived with Fulani against Igbos and in turn what did Nigerians get as reward after their connivance with Fulani? a messed up country and a demonic constitution that has put Nigerians in chains and checks of the Caliphate.

But, Ironsi dissolved the regional government, and centralized the power system. This is what the North and by extension the Fulani enjoys till today. You don’t need to always blame everyone for your self inflicted wounds. Sometimes, it’s your fault.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The British Favour The Fulani So Much by IGBOSON1: 5:47am On Nov 20, 2019
T9ksy:

Hell no, I & ( by extension yorubas) have no problem with zik aligning with the murderers of his people simply 'cause he felt at home with them. Especially when we consider the result of zik's as.slicking TB's backside saw the ibos taking 90% of all ministerial posts earmarked for the south after their master ,the north have taken their fill which is a bit of a problem as the north don't have enough professionals to fill these posts. That was why at independence, our PM was a Grade II teacher whilst his sidekick was a PhD holder.

Another instance is education where ibos became VC in all the higher institutions in the yorubaland but could do the same in the north. This was at a time when yorubas were aggressively pursuing western education like it's going out of fashion. This was the same time when it's common to have at least one PhD holder among the ekitis.

The VCs promptly filled their academic staff with their kith and kins so much so that, yoruba graduates couldn't secure employment in their own region 'cause greedy ibos have the whole lot. I guess, this was the monopolisation zik talked about in 1949 at the one year anniversary of the Ibo State Union.

You guys are just incredible! I mean, you can understand when the sardunna claimed " North for north.........." but you can not fathom why the yorubas would want one of their own to manage her affairs. I make bold to suggest that had zik won that regional election in western Nigeria, ibos would have done exactly as they did in the 1st republic- take most of the jobs available in the region..

Ibos' main grouse with Awo is 'cause they were made to believe by their scheming mischievous leaders that it was pa Awo that scuppered their ambition in taking over their adversary's region. However, the truth is NCNC did not win that election in question. NCNC did not even campaign in the north never mind the chance of becoming premier there. He knew what would become of his people had they attempted such a strategy.

Yeah, of course, zik was a true Nigerian.........as long as his people have the rein of power in the country but unfortunately no one wants to be
under the tutelage of the covetous folks.

Ol' boy, stop making excuses for your slave master. Nothing transpired in the north of the country without the knowledge and acceptance of the sardunna. Sardunna's indigenisation policy put paid to zik's One Nigeria. His BBC interview which you guys termed hate speech was meant to protect his people , land, culture etc from been over-run by the ibos

Zik was a ceremonial president with no executive powers, so where do you get the idea Zik should be blamed for the head of gov'ts decision on who to appoint to whatever position? Could we say history is repeating itself today in that Tinubu is kissing Buharis' scrawny ass, hence after the core muslim north has filled its people in all the 'juicy' positions in the public/civil service, military and paramilitary organisations, that it has thrown a few scraps to its villeins the Yoruba? You see how your masters conspired to get rid of the Yoruba finance minister? That was supposed to be your slot wasn't it? So what happened after she was removed? Your masters went and replaced her with a Fulani, yet we didn't hear kpim from your end! Quite surprising considering how you're now here railing against Zik for appointments made that weren't even part of his remit! We could overlook that incident with the excuse that it was a short-term measure to fill the gap created by the resignation, but what happened when your master Buhari picked his ministers for his 2nd term in office? He only went and reappointed the same Fulani woman as the substantive minister of finance....a slot that was supposed to be for the Yoruba! Yet again, not even a whimper of protest from the west! Now just imagine if it had been a Igbo or GEJ that had done this...the kind of protests and riots on the streets we would see in the west...with accusations of how those 'greedy okoros' have come again!

You said: "Another instance is education where ibos became VC in all the higher institutions in the yorubaland but could do the same in the north. This was at a time when yorubas were aggressively pursuing western education like it's going out of fashion. This was the same time when it's common to have at least one PhD holder among the ekitis."

Yet again your insecurity, duplicitious/two-faced nature, paranoia and bigotry is at play here! So what if Igbos became the VCs in all the higher institutions in Yorubaland? Were they from Mars or were they 'fellow Nigerians'? Could it be that they were best suited for the jobs at that point in time? If not that the Yoruba are a bit insular and not as widely travelled in Nigeria as the Igbo at the time, they could equally have been in the running for appoitments in the eastern region! Seeing the kind of idealist Zik was i'm sure its something he would even have welcomed! Like i stated in my previous post, Zik was a pan-Nigerianist even to a fault as this prevented him from seeing the faultlines and chasms in the Nigerian national fabric! He was brought up in the west....had spent most of his adult working life there (i hear he could speak Yoruba just like Ikemba could).....and being the idealist he was, didn't see it as an issue seeking elective office in the western region!

Fact of the matter is if you say a Igbo -that has been forced back into 'one Nigeria' as your 'fellow compatriot' and told Biafra is dead and he's now a Nigerian- cannot be vice-chancellor of a university in the west or cannot be premier of the western region because he is not Yoruba, then you have no right to complain about xenophobia in South-Africa or racism towards blacks anywhere else in the world! This is the raw truth that stares you in the face! You cannot be elated when a Yoruba is appointed to any prominent position in a university in the western world or wins an election there, and then turn around and say a Igbo (that you forced back through the barrel of a gun to be your 'fellow compatriot') should not be vice-chancellor or governor in any state in the west of Nigeria! I know it sounds somehow, but that's the raw truth if we claim to be part of the civilsed world! Ditto Igbos in the east also!

Just imagine how far Nigeria would have gone in becoming one cohesive unit if from the 60s, Ziks' idealism for a united Nigeria -where tribe would amount to nothing more than a cultural/monarchical statement that didn't influence political or economic decisions- was allowed to gain traction and become part of national-psyche! This is what obtains in England and what Rwanda has done in giving less national prominence to Hutu/Tutsie divisions! Having one ethos and commonality of purpose is the first step to becoming a true nation...not like what we see in Nigeria today, where different ethnicities are engaged in political brinkmanship, subterfuge and backstabbing!

You said: "The VCs promptly filled their academic staff with their kith and kins so much so that, yoruba graduates couldn't secure employment in their own region 'cause greedy ibos have the whole lot. I guess, this was the monopolisation zik talked about in 1949 at the one year anniversary of the Ibo State Union."

Any links you can provide to back up this assertion? It could be true....i dunno, but i'd like links to articles/publications where this was said and more importantly, who made the claim! In any event, if for the sake of argument we say this assertion is true, can you tell me how this is any different from what Buhari and his Fulani cabal are doing today? Or are you comfortable with 'filling positions withe their kith and kin to the exclusion of the Yoruba' only if such acts are being carried out by the Fulani and not the 'pesky okoros'? I can furnish you with links to your kinsfolk...Yoruba, complaining about Buharis' nepostism and northern agenda! I wonder why this equally doesn't bother you!

The statement you claim Zik made in 1949, could it be he made that statement with a firm belief in the capacity of his people to strive based on merit, and hence in a merit-driven society (such as he was expecting Nigeria to be after independence) that Igbos would strive and get to the top based soley on merit? Look at Igbos today, and tell me if they're not one of (if not the most) the most driven and entrepreneurial groups in Nigeria and in diaspora! Take a look at the cut-off marks for secondary schools in Nigeria and tell me why states from the old eastern region have the highest hurdles to cross! Zik made that statement way before Uni' Ibadan or Uni' Lagos so unless he was Nostradamus, i don't see how he could have foreseen a situation where he would be a ceremonial president of Nigeria and be able to, as you claim, 'influence' the appointments of VCs in the western region decades later!

You said: "You guys are just incredible! I mean, you can understand when the sardunna claimed " North for north.........." but you can not fathom why the yorubas would want one of their own to manage her affairs. I make bold to suggest that had zik won that regional election in western Nigeria, ibos would have done exactly as they did in the 1st republic- take most of the jobs available in the region.."

Can you point out where i said i understand the Sardaunas' claim of 'north-for-north'? My issue with Awo is that, fair enough...he has this morbid fear and suspicion of Igbos...that they want to come and take over the western region! Fine! Now my question is, if he had this negative sentiment towards Igbos and didn't want them taking advantage of the freedoms and liberties granted them by the Nigerian constitution, then why in Gods name did he take part in sustaining the 'mere geographical expression' which would see him continue sharing the same country with the very people he sees as untrustworthy and out to take over Yorubaland? Also, why didn't he seize the window of opportunity the Biafran war accorded him to seperate his people from Nigeria as the eastern region was trying to do at the time? You can see why some people accuse Awo of being.....dishonest at best! Did he really believe in the Nigeria he was fighting for its survival when making statements like (and i paraphrase): if by omission or commission the eastern region is allowed to leave, that the Yoruba wouldn't bother staying behind to continue doing 'one Nigeria' with the north!

This one is interesting: "Yeah, of course, zik was a true Nigerian.........as long as his people have the rein of power in the country but unfortunately no one wants to be under the tutelage of the covetous folks."

'No one wants to be under the tutelage of covetous folks' you say? You could have fooled me! What's happening today with the Fulani coveting all the major appointments and bulk of investments? Oh, i get it....it doesn't matter if the Fulani do it 'cos they're your masters and they're helping you 'deal with the hated okoros' abi?

This one's the here gave me a chuckle wink : "Ol' boy, stop making excuses for your slave master. Nothing transpired in the north of the country without the knowledge and acceptance of the sardunna. Sardunna's indigenisation policy put paid to zik's One Nigeria. His BBC interview which you guys termed hate speech was meant to protect his people , land, culture etc from been over-run by the ibos"

You're actually making unfounded accusations that the Sadauna had a hand in the mass killing of Igbos in the north in the 50s! You have any proof to burtress this assertion?

This is what i mean when i say Zik preferred dealing with the north b'cos with them, they don't hide their feelings about anyone or issue....what you see is what you get, shikena! You know where you stand with them on any issue!

'Sadaunas' indigenisation policy put paid to 'one Nigeria'' you say? So if there's no such thing as 'one Nigeria' what was Awo doing accepting a gov't position and joining to sustain something which both you and him admit has outlived its usefulness? Is that not two-faced hypocrisy? Today as we speak, are you in support of Mazi Kanu and Igbos efforts to change the status-quo? What efforts are you and your people making to stop living the lie you say Nigeria has become?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2023 Poll: BVAS Needed Will Be Ready Before December – INEC / Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility / Photos Of Calabar Militants Bombing Are FAKE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.