Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations (22092 Views)

Tinubu Appoints Ex-Rivers Commissioner As DG Of Border Agency / Higher Revenue, Reduced Fuel Usage, Rice Production Are Gains Of Border Closure / Buhari Appoints Junaid Abdullahi, His Son-In-Law As Head Of Border Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by dre11(m): 9:05am On Nov 17, 2019
• MITROS Rice Not Available In Ogun Markets

• No Lake Rice Production

• No Special Arrangement For Rice Farming In Kaduna

• Farmers, Processors, Count Gains In Kano

By Gbenga Akinfenwa, Gbenga Salau Abdulganiyu Alabi and Murtala Adewale

In the wake of soaring price of local rice induced by closure of the borders, there is anxiety across the country regarding what the market would look like in the last two months of the year, especially festive periods of Christmas and New Year.

On August 21, 2019, President Muhammadu Buhari ordered a partial closure of the Seme border between Nigeria and Benin Republic and other borders with neighbouring Niger, Cameroun and others to check smuggling and illegal movement of light arms.

Since then, attention has shifted to production of local rice. Subsequently, the increased demand has led to price increase. A 50kg of locally produced rice that was sold for between N12, 500 and N13, 000 now sells between N24, 000 and N27, 000 in the last few weeks.

There was however, a ray of hope late last month when President of the Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria (RIFAN), Aminu Goronyo gave the public an assurance that a 50kg bag will soon sell for N9, 000. He also promised that more rice would flood the market to force down prices, against the claim that hoarding was responsible for the price hike.

Aminu Goronyo said: “We have a bumper harvest that we never had before. We have never had the type of bumper harvests that we recorded this year…There are enemies of this country who buy and store this commodity just because they want to create artificial scarcity…Our promise is that Nigerians will continue to get this commodity at an affordable price and it will be available.

“I don’t think the price will go up, rather the only thing we hope is that the price will continue to come down and definitely it will. Some of our millers sell at N12, 000 and we hope that Nigerians will buy a 50kg milled rice at between N9, 000 and N10, 000,” Goronyo added.

But based on findings, his projections are far from reality because of the negative signals coming from rice producing states and others who claimed to have invested heavily in rice cultivation.

Rather than the market witnessing a deluge of rice from the states to force down current high prices, rice from states have suddenly disappeared from markets, contrary to claims of massive investment to boost rice production.

The question on the lips of rice-loving citizens, is whither government-cultivated rice?

OGUN

Currently, Ogun State branded rice-MITROS Rice has vanished from the market, according to findings. Since the state allegedly rolled out 150,000 bags in November 2018, the product is not seen in the market, especially during the festive season when it was needed most. A section of the state residents, especially those living far from the state capital claimed little is heard of the brand.

From findings, only few people had access to it. It was alleged that access to the brand is complicated, as you could not walk into any market and get MITROS rice.

Even now, when the state ought to capitalise on the border closure to register its presence, it was confirmed by a reliable source that there is no MITROS rice in the market and there may not be any till next year.

The source disclosed that the milling machine at the Asero processing plant, has packed-up and there is no plan in the offing to put it back to work.

But the privately produced Ofada rice is thriving, but not in great quantities to saturate the markets.

LAGOS

Apart from the three years (2016-2018) LAKE Rice was made available to Lagosians that record was broken last December. The brand has totally disappeared from circulation.

In all the markets visited in Lagos, there was no Lake Rice for sale. At Amuwo-Odofin Shopping Centre, one of the traders said she last sold the brand in April.

Those in Mile 2 Oke market said they never sold Lake Rice. At Daleko Market, one of the traders claimed he sold the last batch about a month ago, which was at N18, 500. This was far higher than the price the state government pegged it.

The new administration of Babajide Sanwo-Olu promised return of Lake Rice, but without subsidy, meaning an over 15 per cent price increase.

Before it went off the market, a 50kg sold for N12, 000; 25kg for N6, 000 and 10kg for N2, 500 in about 10 locations across the state, designated as sales points. The state government then said residents could only buy one bag, as it wanted to ensure that the rice got to everybody.

To increase the availability of Lake Rice beyond the 10 sales points, in December 2017, the state government sought the participation of major rice distributors by signing a partnership with them for the transportation, distribution and marketing of Lake Rice.

However, in the third quarter of 2018, after the government had signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for mass distribution and sales, the rice was no longer available at sales points and markets. And that was the scenario till former Governor Akinwunmi Ambode left office in May till now.

On the non-availability of the rice in markets, a source in the ministry of agriculture said the state government buys from Kebbi State, bag it and sell in Lagos, contrary to claims that the state has rice plantations in Kebbi.

“The process to buy another batch has not been concluded, reason it has not been in the market.”

KADUNA

Despite the border closure, there are no special arrangements by the Kaduna State Government tap into vast local market with investment in rice production.

As one of the main rice producing states, majority of Nigerians are expecting nothing less from the Kaduna in terms of championing rice production.

A market survey by The Guardian across markets, show that a 50kg bag of local rice previously sold for N9, 000 now sells for N15, 500. For instance, at Bakin-Dogo Market, a bushel of local rice previously sold at the rate of N350 is now N550.

The Secretary of Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria, Kaduna State chapter, Mr. Ishaya Audu, who confirmed the development, linked it to government’s failure to invest and boost rice cultivation.

“We have been trying to discuss with the Governor. We have written series of letters on our willingness as rice farmers to meet him, to address this issue; we are yet to be given audience. Rice farmers in Kaduna are cultivating without any serious intervention from government, which is the problem. The warehouse we are using now belongs to the state government, despite that, we still have to pay them for rent, which ought not to be so.”

He called on the state government to assist rice farmers, especially by building dams for dry season rice farming. “If they build dams in different locations, rice farmers will have the opportunity of cultivating rice three times in a season.”

KANO

The border closure is a boost for local rice production in Kano State, as farmers, processors and traders record increase in sales and marginal returns.

With about 20,000 growers and an average yield of 3.72 tons in both wet and dry seasons, rice production and patronage could do much better without the influx of foreign brands.

A Rice farmer, Munzali Jibril told The Guardian that the border closure has boosted his production from five hectares to 20 due to increased demand.

Munzali added that gone are the days when farmers passed through series of middle men before pushing their paddy to markets at average cost of N7, 000, saying a 75kg of paddy now goes for between N9, 000 and N11, 000.

“Honestly, the closure of the borders is more or less a blessing to we farmers, especially because rice farmers have more opportunity to expand our production because there is ready market for our produce.”

Alhaji Abba Dantata, a rice m illers Kano, said the border closure would enable processors redouble their capacity.

Abba said before the closure, majority of rice millers in Kano were almost running bankrupt due to low sales, the development, which he said would have led to job losses and economic collapse.

He explained that millers are presently pushing out 10 trucks of finished products to the markets on daily basis. He said no less than 70 jobs in his company would have been lost, if not for the government intervention.

According to him: “Before border closure, when foreign rice dominated the market, we hardly moved five trucks of locally processed rice. The action has really helped the millers because, we can now get more paddy as farmers are now redoubling their production capacity.”

Aminu Yakubu, a rice retailer in the popular Singer, in Sabon Gari market, Kano, said local rice now sells for between N14, 500 and N16, 000.

“Local rice is selling more than foreign rice now. Before you sell five bags of foreign brands, 10 bags of local rice would have been purchased. Let me tell you, many people are even afraid of selling foreign rice now because of Customs. If you cannot prove that the ones in your store are old stocks, the Customs will arrest and dispossess you of the rice.”

https://m.guardian.ng/features/local-rice-production-has-not-taken-advantage-of-border-closure-investigations/

Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by mrsage(m): 9:18am On Nov 17, 2019
This is indeed very sad.

My house is close to one of the distribution points for Lake rice in Lagos.

I noticed recently that lake rice has disappeared.

21 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by SalamRushdie: 9:21am On Nov 17, 2019
Protectionism had never helped any industry on Earth ...Protectionism is similar to saying you will not allow your son school with other brilliant students so just he can come first all the time . Protectionism breeds laziness and industrial lackadaisicality

71 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by izzou(m): 9:22am On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:
Protectionism had never helped any industry on Earth ...Protectionism is similar to saying you will not allow your son school with other brilliant students so just he can come first all the time . Protectionism breeds laziness and industrial lackadaisicality

Your point being that the borders should be opened?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by SalamRushdie: 9:24am On Nov 17, 2019
izzou:

Your point being that the borders should be opened?

Was the border ever open? Receive. Sense

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by izzou(m): 9:30am On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:

Was the border ever open? Receive. Sense

Keep crying. Nigerian rice has come to stay, you hear? grin

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 9:36am On Nov 17, 2019
Lies, all they want is the reopening of the border, come to any open markets in Anambra and see Josan, Coscharis, Anambra rice and other brands everywhere.
Borders remain shut for now

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by tayebest(m): 9:43am On Nov 17, 2019
rretard investigation angry

Let them come kaduna to see how local rice full everywhere. The processing is now excellent with no stone.

Even Kano are now taking the full potential.

This report is nonsense, Buhari should not open the border. let them deal with it. angry

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by SalamRushdie: 9:44am On Nov 17, 2019
izzou:

Keep crying. Nigerian rice has come to stay, you hear? grin

Keep crying me I have access to all the foreign and Nigerian rice I want .. Na Buharist hunger go kill ..

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Beremx(f): 9:51am On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Lies, all they want is the reopening of the border, come to any open markets in Anambra and see Josan, Coscharis, Anambra rice and other brands everywhere.
go to the open markets and take pictures or you keep quiet. That's how you people keep promoting Audio Rice.

Inasmuch as I buy local rice, the high cost of it is outrageous. For how long will the price keep going high and not becoming affordable? That's my concern.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by mrvitalis(m): 9:57am On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
These rice has always been in the market at cheaper price even before the border closure

Come to pH ,uyo ,imported rice still dominate

7 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by mrvitalis(m): 9:57am On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:

Keep crying me I have access to all the foreign and Nigerian rice I want .. Na Buharist hunger go kill ..
Bro please how can I get slim rice in uyo

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by SalamRushdie: 10:02am On Nov 17, 2019
mrvitalis:

Bro please how can I get slim rice in uyo

I get my supply from this vendor below , I am sure she can hook U up

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4LQ8galWoU/?igshid=1x27epsa11ygy
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 10:07am On Nov 17, 2019
Beremx:
go to the open markets and take pictures or you keep quiet. That's how you people keep promoting Audio Rice.

Inasmuch as I buy local rice, the high cost of it is outrageous. For how long will the price keep going high and not becoming affordable? That's my concern.
You can go and confirm yourself, you expect me to rush down and start snapping?
You buy local rice and you're still asking me to go snap pictures, I guess you usually travel to Mars to buy it.
The high price is because of demand and supply factor and with time, it would stabilize and start dropping.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 10:09am On Nov 17, 2019
mrvitalis:

These rice has always been in the market at cheaper price even before the border closure

Come to pH ,uyo ,imported rice still dominate
I'm talking of my location, not as if no foreign rice in the markets but the author of the article made it seem as if no local rice at all

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by mrvitalis(m): 10:11am On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
I'm talking of my location, not as if no foreign rice in the markets but the author of the article made it seem as if no local rice at all
The local rice in the market has always been their nothing new
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Beremx(f): 10:38am On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
You can go and confirm yourself, you expect me to rush down and start snapping?
You buy local rice and you're still asking me to go snap pictures, I guess you usually travel to Mars to buy it.
The high price is because of demand and supply factor and with time, it would stabilize and start dropping.
You said the op lied. That's my point. That there's surplus rice in Anambra doesn't mean other state have too. So with the complaints here and there, how can the supply outnumber the demand? For how long ?

4 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Kerfuffle: 10:56am On Nov 17, 2019
Local rice production is catching up! The major problem is still distribution. Local rice milled to standard quality still sells for 14-15k in many parts of the country, and even cheaper in some parts.

This is a big opportunity for the citizens. Nigeria youths I repeat, go into Agriculture, and you'll most likely smile soon enough.

President Buhari please keep all the borders locked!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Pidginwhisper: 10:56am On Nov 17, 2019
undecided
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 17, 2019
The government of the day acts before thinking... Shame angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Polytricks: 10:57am On Nov 17, 2019
smileyA
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by WonderManly(m): 10:57am On Nov 17, 2019
Hmmm...

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by netpro(m): 10:58am On Nov 17, 2019
Next year more farmers and investors will like jump into Rice farming.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by johnmattew: 10:58am On Nov 17, 2019
investigation riddled with lies.....all the rice sold in my area in Lagos are local rice

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:58am On Nov 17, 2019
dre11:

• MITROS Rice Not Available In Ogun Markets

• No Lake Rice Production

• No Special Arrangement For Rice Farming In Kaduna

There was however, a ray of hope late last month when President of the Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria (RIFAN), Aminu Goronyo gave the public an assurance that a 50kg bag will soon sell for N9, 000. He also promised that more rice would flood the market to force down prices, against the claim that hoarding was responsible for the price hike.

Aminu Goronyo said: We have never had the type of bumper harvests that we recorded this year…

But based on findings, his projections are far from reality because of the negative signals coming from rice producing states and others who claimed to have invested heavily in rice cultivation.

Rather than the market witnessing a deluge of rice from the states to force down current high prices, rice from states have suddenly disappeared from markets, contrary to claims of massive investment to boost rice production.

The question on the lips of rice-loving citizens, is whither government-cultivated rice?

OGUN

Currently, Ogun State branded rice-MITROS Rice has vanished from the market, according to findings. Since the state allegedly rolled out 150,000 bags in November 2018, the product is not seen in the market, especially during the festive season when it was needed most.

https://m.guardian.ng/features/local-rice-production-has-not-taken-advantage-of-border-closure-investigations/

Lalasticlala

cheesy cheesy cheesy I said it here not quite long!!!

To be realistic these people are taking us for granted

Believe the lies they propagate on this social media at your own risk!!!

Wise Nigerians have gotten to the extent that when this government even greets good morning, we will leave all we are doing to go check the weather outside before replying!!!

Here's the thread where I confronted one of their fake news bearer!!!

3 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Solamilove: 10:59am On Nov 17, 2019
Local rice is available but just that it's production is another thing. Before you cook it, you have to pick all the stones and chaff as if it's beans that will take you like 2 hours plus. When eating also one will be vigilant. So if you want to cook it on Monday, start its planning on Friday. Overall, eating local rice will train Nigerians to be diligent, goal oriented, strategic planning, and caution. At least for once, all those likes on our skills we put on CV can find its pathetic to become the truth.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 10:59am On Nov 17, 2019
Beremx:
You said the op lied. That's my point. That there's surplus rice in Anambra doesn't mean other state have too. So with the complaints here and there, how can the supply outnumber the demand? For how long ?
The author made it seem as if no local rice and I never said there's surplus local rice in Anambra, I only said that local rice isn't as scarce and uncommon as he was trying to paint it at least in Anambra. Only time before demand and supply meet, let's all be patient

7 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by delamb01: 10:59am On Nov 17, 2019
All these paid journalists you need to hustle harder because you can't convince the FGN to open the borders

6 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 11:00am On Nov 17, 2019
mrvitalis:

The local rice in the market has always been their nothing new
Why was the author making it look as if it's so scarce?

6 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Virus99: 11:00am On Nov 17, 2019
Pls who can supply us rice to Ilorin?
We are in dire need embarassed
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by johnmattew: 11:00am On Nov 17, 2019
Luciferlove:
The government of the day acts before thinking... Shame angry angry angry
go to the market and make research yourself b4 believing bloggers with their investigation full of lies......I wanted to buy caprice last week in Lagos,I searched the whole area but couldn't find any foreign rice,except local rice....I had to buy the local rice....I haven't regretted my purchase ever since.local rice is sweeter and perfect for rice and stew and jollof

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photos: Nigerians Protest Over ‘crazy’ PHCN Bills In Abuja / National Assembly Increases 2018 Budget To N9.1trn (dailytrust) / Edo, Ondo Elections Party Primaries: INEC Fixes Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.