Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

Ribadu The Tribalist. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu The Tribalist. (2993 Views)

To The Tribalist And Ethic Warlords / Taming The Tribalist / OAM4J The Tribalist, Where Is The Thread: 32 Caught For Card Identity Theft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by amingafar(m): 2:04am On Nov 19, 2010
i read it as being realstic
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Beaf: 2:07am On Nov 19, 2010
koruji:

I think you guys are mixing the fact that Ribadu is raw with being tribalist. If you pay attention to the word "Sadly" in that statement you will see that he is stating an open truth that he doesn't agree with. Not very tactful, but he is not being tribalist!

I think you missed out the closing words, "he is not electable." Ribadu has joined the ranks of bigots.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by nduchucks: 2:11am On Nov 19, 2010
@Beaf & Onlytruth, one would have thought by now, you people would have been sophisticated enough to make meaningful contributions to threads without uncivilized tribal undertones.  You people are the reasons why our forward progress is severely impaired. olodo
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Beaf: 2:13am On Nov 19, 2010
ndu_chucks:

@Beaf & Onlytruth, one would have though by now, you people would have been sophisticated enough to make meaningful contributions to threads without uncivilized tribal undertones. You people are the reasons why our forward progress is severely impaired. olodo

Abeg, rush back to wherever you're popping out from! You don't even have the morals to codemn Ribadu's words.

Rakumin dajij! grin
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by nduchucks: 2:28am On Nov 19, 2010
Beaf:

You don't even have the morals to codemn Ribadu's words.

Ribadu like most Nigerian politicians, make statements that they regret and offer apologies as they see fit. Lets give Ribadu the opportunity to respond - I'm not yet convinvenced that his statements were not taken out of context or outright forged.

Lets examine the "condemnable" statements made by Ribadu:

(1)Goodluck Jonathan [the incumbent] is from a very small ethnic group

This is an undisputed fact

(2)Sadly, even if he were the best person for the job, northern Nigeria would never accept it.

This is another sad fact, as Ribadu noted.

(3)He is not electable.

Ribadu's opinion.

Now, Beaf, what statement did you want me to condemn?
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Beaf: 2:31am On Nov 19, 2010
^
If it isn't obvious to you, then go and wash your eyes. You've always been at home with bigots (being one yourself).
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by koruji(m): 2:38am On Nov 19, 2010
I didn't. Ribadu is raw. From what you know about him do you think he believes somebody is unelectable because of their tribe? Of course not. His  use of the word "Sadly" carries all the way to the rest of the related statements.

I agree that this it is really a very bad way to say what is obvious, but Ribadu has never being tactful. It is also bad because he implied that this would give him an advantage in the elections - that is the part that makes him look like a tribalist. It is the benefiting by-stander argument i.e. Robinhood stole the money and distributed to the towns-people - but it makes you look like a savage in the political arena.

Ribadu is unlikely to win this election, but if Nigeria doesn't collapse any time soon, he is certainly positioning himself for 4 or 8 years down the line. Meanwhile, he will get his training in political-speak.

Bill Clinton once said Obama's win in one of the state primaries would be like that of Jesse Jackson - the latter won like Obama with the help of the black vote, but went on to be roundly defeated by the white vote. Is Bill Clinton a racist? Not quite, but he was stating some old truth that was about to be made false by Obama - although the white vote almost did him in, there were enough white vote in support. This would likely be the case with Jonathan as well - he will get enough Northern and Southern votes to be president.

Beaf:

I think you missed out the closing words, "he is not electable." Ribadu has joined the ranks of bigots.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by nduchucks: 2:41am On Nov 19, 2010
@Beaf, Ribadu stated some facts, and noted what he called a sad reality (i.e.  Jonathan wouldn't be accepted) Do not ignore the fact that Ribadu clearly used the word Sadly, when he made the statement. Why would Ribadu  state that the situation is a sad one if he himself shares the same view?

It is your own bigotry that should be addressed and not Ribadu's. There is nothing tribalistic or bigotted about Ribadu's observations. I do understand you need to put down any threat to your oga GEJ - but must you people stoop this low?
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by koruji(m): 3:07am On Nov 19, 2010
Beaf:

As you summarised, anybody who attempts to gain from the primitive ills of the country is a mere savage from the very same swamp those ills arose from.
This is certainly not the first time Ribadu has cast himself as a man of very low morals, witness this statement from the same interview:

Startling crudity! Really shocking, disgraceful and shameful; we are witnessing the demystifying of Ribadu. I'm beginning to wonder if the accusations of embezzling made against him have some truth.

I agree with most of what you said here, except the demystification part. Nobody ever considered him a diplomat. For example, he once told someone that advised him to follow the law in prosecuting those accused of corruption that he would not worry about the law in these cases (and for good reason when you consider what politicians were doing to steal our money). What we are witnessing is his political tutoring - he will learn, then he will be ready to compete.

He is way too crude for presidential politics at this point - although Obama was way more refined he still made gaffes that almost lost him his election. It is unfortunate that to play politics you need to "lose some honesty". President GEJ has certainly learned fast in this last month or so - he is very quiet these days, and when he does speak, it is much more refined.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by DapoBear(m): 8:46am On Nov 19, 2010
Not a smooth move, Ribadu. Even if you think he is unelectable, you do not say something like that. Would be like a white politician saying the same about a black one. Or a male politician saying something about a woman.

You just don't do it undecided
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by didms(m): 10:24am On Nov 19, 2010
na wa for dis country sef and our presidential aspirants, very few to choose from. while i would not want to vote for a northerner giving their track record in power, ribadu seems to be gud against corrupt officials. and dats our only problem, corruption. jonathan has not proven himself to be a force against corruption neither has he shown a conviction against anything sef. people just like him cos he's a southerner, dats all going for him.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by semid4lyfe(m): 10:42am On Nov 19, 2010
I'm not surprised. Ribadu has always been a dullard and will always be.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Afam4eva(m): 10:52am On Nov 19, 2010
Ribadu is just plain dumb. he doesn't know how to play the game. How could he make such a statement.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by ladi02(m): 11:23am On Nov 19, 2010
Lol its his blunt and police approach to things

We all know he can deliver and clean Nigeria of corruption, at least he has a track record, than the others

Nigerians with their judgemental approach, no one is perfect for you guys grin

Even if Obama comes to rule Nigeria, you guys go still find something to say
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Blazay(m): 11:26am On Nov 19, 2010
IBB for 2011. cool
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by co2(m): 1:09pm On Nov 19, 2010
the ribadu project has been a doomed from the day one never has a politician castigated the electorate and expect to win dose he think any body from adamawa will vote for him let alone in the south ribadu na bad market
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by folem: 1:11pm On Nov 19, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Ribadu like most Nigerian politicians, make statements that they regret and offer apologies as they see fit. Lets give Ribadu the opportunity to respond - I'm not yet convinvenced that his statements were not taken out of context or outright forged.

Lets examine the "condemnable" statements made by Ribadu:

(1)Goodluck Jonathan [the incumbent] is from a very small ethnic group

This is an undisputed fact

Goodluck Jonathan is an ethnic Ijaw which is the fourth largest in Nigeria

(2)Sadly, even if he were the best person for the job, northern Nigeria would never accept it.

This is another sad fact, as Ribadu noted.

Northern Nigeria has no choice than to accept winners of General elections.

Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by T9ksy(m): 2:40pm On Nov 19, 2010
Quote from: ladi02 on Today at 11:23:10 AM
We all know he can deliver and clean Nigeria of corruption, at least he has a track record, than the others

Deliver wetin? Clean Nigeria of corruption ke? whilst the likes of Obj and IBB were still walking tall,huh.
I remembered during OBJ's inauguration speech in '99, he vowed to fight corruption (in the country) to a standstill. I
laughed so hard, i damned nearly crack a rib or two. Obj, clear corruption? its akin to entrusting meat to a carnivorous animal!
This is a man whose whole essence personified corruption.
Ribadu was Obj's attack dog used solely to dismembered his boss's enemies.
Ditto Buhari's stint.His fight against corruption was nothing but selective.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by SapeleGuy: 2:44pm On Nov 19, 2010
Ribadu supporters can sanitise and dry clean these comments as much as they want but the truth is that this man is firmly rooted in the supremacist and tribalist strategy of some in the north.  His candidacy should be transferred to the dustbin.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by ladi02(m): 3:13pm On Nov 19, 2010
T9ksy:

Quote from: ladi02  on Today at 11:23:10 AM
Deliver wetin?  Clean Nigeria of corruption ke? whilst the likes of Obj and IBB  were still walking tall,huh.
I remembered during OBJ's inauguration speech in '99, he vowed to fight corruption (in the country) to a standstill. I
laughed so hard, i damned nearly crack a rib or two. Obj, clear corruption? its akin to entrusting meat to a carnivorous animal!
This is a man whose whole essence personified corruption.
Ribadu was Obj's attack dog used solely to dismembered his boss's enemies.
Ditto Buhari's stint.His fight against corruption was nothing but selective.

Do u think Obj and IBB are the corrupt guys making nigerians suffer?

What happened to local govt chairmen, governors, ministers, senate, that embezzle public funds?

If his fight was at least selective, how is the current EFCC woman fighting, shes absolutely doing nothing.

Like it or not, we need someone to reform our police, judicial system and get rid of corruption, without that we are not moving anywhere, and that person is not Jonathan!
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by houvest: 3:22pm On Nov 19, 2010
So the North never  voted for  OBJ; only a handful of christians. Surprise surprise. Things are getting clearer daily.Were the christians foolish then to vote for Tafawa Balewa(twice), Shehu shagari(twice), Abiola and Yaradua? One Nation indeed.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by naso2(m): 3:43pm On Nov 19, 2010
@sapeleguy

Long time. abi you go collect envelop for ABJ? grin grin

But seriously if Ribadu actually said the minority part, e be like say make i catch am , come tear am one dirty slap. Nonsense. later people will say he is a progressive. It seem now that anyone not contesting under PDP is a progressive.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Tsiya(m): 6:53pm On Nov 19, 2010
Ribadu is also from a very minority tribe. If election is by tribal numeracy, Nuhu has no business running for election.

Any politician campaigning with tribal slogan is dead
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 19, 2010
koruji:

I think you guys are mixing the fact that Ribadu is raw with being tribalist. If you pay attention to the word "Sadly" in that statement you will see that he is stating an open truth that he doesn't agree with. Not very tactful, but he is not being tribalist!

Very fair argument by Koruji.

But it is not the place of a Presidential candidate to either agree with or condone this point of view. Somethings should never be said when you are running for elections.

What folks forget sometimes is that while a Southerner can not win elections in Nigeria without the Northern vote. A notherner can not win either without the Southern vote.

The Hausa block vote vote may be crucial in an election, but in a Presidential race race where the serious contenders are less than 5; no one ethnic group can power anyone to Aso Rock.

The Nigerian political space is as complicated as that.

Ribadu is a great public servant and I love him but he is not a Presidential material.
There is a reason that some of his greatest allies who know him very well and have interacted with him are not necessarily championing his case.
Why have Wole Soyinka and Nasir El-Rufai not driving the Ribadu for President train?

It is an unfortunate statement, he should not have said that.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by ladi02(m): 7:21pm On Nov 19, 2010
Lol all of you that has something against Ribadu, can push the Country into another 4yrs of PDP if you like

I don tire for all of you, in 2015 hopefully your eyes will open and then y'all be looking for Ribadu or ACN
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by SapeleGuy: 7:25pm On Nov 19, 2010
na_so:

@sapeleguy

Long time. abi you go collect envelop for ABJ? grin grin

My broda, how bodi?  Nah work keep me away.

Buhari's statements are also just as bad. Nigerians should reject these people, there can be no progress otherwise.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by ladi02(m): 7:56pm On Nov 19, 2010
SapeleGuy:

My broda, how bodi?  Nah work keep me away.

Buhari's statements are also just as bad. Nigerians should reject these people, there can be no progress otherwise.

Sapeleguy so who will u recommend out of the lot

IBB doesnt talk like that, he is worse
GEJ doesnt talk like that, but he is clueless

LOL
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Beaf: 9:40pm On Nov 19, 2010
Poor Ribadu the bigot.
It always starts with ethnic bigotry, next thing the man will begin talking about instituting sharia from Sokoto to the Atlantic Ocean.
I hope the press really chase him around for material to sell, at this rate he will never fail them.

I am really shocked.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Omenani(m): 9:44pm On Nov 19, 2010
[b]Beaf [/b]God bless your heart. You have the most entertaining post I have ever seen. cheesy
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Fastelinks: 10:19pm On Nov 19, 2010
I know every one on this thread have there seperate opinions about Ribadu. Now guys listen to the fact and truth. Please can any one use a stained hand to clean the dirt on a white cloth. Jonathan has a good intension for nigeria but he is coming in on the platform of thieves and political dogs, that constantly manipulate him. The fact is jonathan is a good leader owned and control by corrupt men. That is why no one can vote him. because you can't change a country by going through the leagues of thieves. That is what ribadu meant in his statement. If jonathan wants nigerians trust and confidents he need to choose a better platform to run for president. This is not about hausa or igbo or yoruba issue is about transparency. Jonathan is running through a platform that will make him indebted to thugs and thieves
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Fastelinks: 10:20pm On Nov 19, 2010
I know every one on this thread have there seperate opinions about Ribadu. Now guys listen to the fact and truth. Please can any one use a stained hand to clean the dirt on a white cloth. Jonathan has a good intension for nigeria but he is coming in on the platform of thieves and political dogs, that constantly manipulate him. The fact is jonathan is a good leader owned and control by corrupt men. That is why no one can vote him. because you can't change a country by going through the leagues of thieves. That is what ribadu meant in his statement. If jonathan wants nigerians trust and confidents he need to choose a better platform to run for president. This is not about hausa or igbo or yoruba issue is about transparency. Jonathan is running through a platform that will make him indebted to thugs and thieves
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by PhysicsQED(m): 10:28pm On Nov 19, 2010
I don't really see the appeal of Ribadu. The guy seems like a bit of a simpleton. He blindly attacked OBJ's opponents without also going after crooks that OBJ was shielding and supporting and now is even backtracking on the need to verify the sources of money that might flow into his campaign. Jonathan, apart from having a Ph.D, seems quietly clever, and mostly politically competent, barring that gaffe about MEND and the abuja bombing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ekiti Welfare Scheme To Benefit 52,000 Elders / House Of Reps Hold Sitting Despite Attempt To Stop Tambuwal From Entering NASS / President Buhari May Order Arrest Of Akpabio, Susuwan, Orji And Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.