Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,481 members, 7,808,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

Understanding "All Things" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding "All Things" (130 Views)

I'll Gather Out Of My Kingdom All Things That Offend, Doers Of Iniquity - Jesus / Jesus Christ Is The Creator Of All Things Including You! / What's The Meaning Of Old Things Are Passed Away Behold All Things Are New? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Understanding "All Things" by Perfectbeing(m): 11:48am On Nov 17, 2019
There is always this tendency for folks to read 'all things ' in the scriptures and take it literally
I'm sure you've heard people make 'faith confessions' like
ALL THINGS are mine
That house is mine
That Money is mine
That car is mine.
How about sickness and poverty too? Are they not part of "all things"?
I can do ALL THINGS through Christ that strengthens me
I can win that competition
I can be the best singer
I can have a first class... Through Christ who strengthens me (don't go and read you will fail All things)
How about 'I can rob a bank, and take your wife or become the president of America through Christ that strengthens me?
And this too
If God spared not his son but delivered him up for us how shall he not also give us ALL THINGS.
Therefore he'll give me that car, that house, that job, my promotion, my admission
The only thing that God will withhold from me is what is greater than his son Jesus
Very deep!
Whenever you read 'all things' in the scriptures, it is of utmost importance that you understand 'all things' in the context of all things mentioned and not literally all things.
We do not have the liberty to include in 'all things' what is not part of all things
All things in the bible is not a blank cheque as some say.
It is bad hermeneutics to include in all things what is not specified in the all things in a particular text.
Let's take a few examples of all things.
1Cor 3
[21] Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours
Are all things actually ours?
Context...
[22] Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
[23] And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
So how many things in all are yours here?
Paul, Apollos, Cephas, the world, life, our death, things present, things to come
Let's see the next text
Romans 8
[28] And we know that ALL THINGS work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose
[32] He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us ALL THINGS ?
I'm sure you've heard people say things like all things work together for our good. And by that they mean the death of a loved one or just about every unfortunate event you can think of.
They'll quote that scripture to back it up that God is behind it or using the situation to work something good out
Then of course the second camp that claim all things being available by the sacrifice of Jesus. Using verse 32 as a backup.
There is wealth and prosperity in the blood. Success and excellence is there too. Your marriage is there. Maybe your Boo and Bae too
Now let's see the context of all things in the above text
Romans 8
[28] And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
[29] For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
[30] Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
[31] What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can beagainst us?
[32] He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things
So what are the all things that work together for our good and that God will not or did not withhold from us?
Foreknowledge
Predestination
Conformity to the image of Christ
Calling
Justification
Glorification
Pay attention to
verse 31
What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
Or what shall we say to all these things?
So, verse 32 would better read
.. how shall he not with him freely give us ALL THESE THINGS
And this also
Eph 1
[3] Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with ALL SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS in heavenly places in Christ:
Oh we have all spiritual blessings in Christ. But in order to make use of them you have to pull them down into the natural. You have to convert them into natural blessings because the spiritual controls the natural.
These blessings are hanging in the realm of the spirit. You have to pull them down. Some through prayer and others through sowing.
It's all a charismatic sickness. It's jazz!
Let's investigate the context of all spiritual blessings.
Eph 1
[4] According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
[5] Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
[6] To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
[7] In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
[8] Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
[9] Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
[10] That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
[11] In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
[12] That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
So what are the all spiritual blessings in Christ here?
We are chosen in him before the foundation of the world to be holy and without blame before him in love verse 4
Predestinated unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ according to his good pleasure. Verse 5
.. To the praise and glory of his grace, and accepted in the beloved. Verse 6
In whom we have redemption through his blood, that is the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of his grace. Verse 7
Abounded towards us in all wisdom and prudence. Verse 8
Revelation into his will according to his good pleasure. Verse 9
In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will to the praise of his glory. Verses 11&12
Sealed with the Holy spirit of promise. Verse 13.
And in context also would include verses 19, his exceeding great power towards us
Verse 20-23, raised up with Christ far above all principality and power, and might, and dominion and every name,
all things(authority, dominion, power might) being put under his feet for us, him being the head of the church which is his body that fills all in all.
All the spiritual blessings from chapter 1:3 actually goes way down to chapter 2 verse 21 in context.
Most of the time chapters could be hindrances to contextual reading. That's why we ought to read the whole letter and the whole book.
Lastly, let's see the context of Christ's all things in Luke 24
Luke 24
[25] Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe ALL that the prophets have spoken:
[26] Ought not Christ to have suffered THESE THINGS , and to enter into his glory?
[27] And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures THE THINGS CONCERNING HIMSELF
So what are the ALL that the prophets spoke in verse 25?
The 'these things' in verse 26, which are 'the things concerning himself' in verse 27.
[44] And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that ALL THINGS must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me
{What are the all things that must be fulfilled in 44?
The things written in the law of Moses, and in the psalms and the prophets CONCERNING HIM. which are that Christ should suffer and rise from the dead the third day in verse 46}
[46] And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
[47] And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
Let's see elsewhere in the book of Luke how Christ defined the all things.
Luke 18
[31] Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and ALL THINGS THAT ARE WRITTEN BY THE PROPHETS CONCERNING THE SON OF MAN shall be accomplished.
Now don't miss this.. FOR
[32] For HE SHALL BE DELIVERED UNTO THE GENTILES , AND SHALL BE MOCKED , AND SPITEFULLY ENTREATED , AND SPITTED ON :
[33] AND THEY SHALL SCOURGE HIM , AND PUT HIM TO DEATH : AND THE THIRD DAY HE SHALL RISE AGAIN .
Those are the all things. Jesus put the all things as the things about his death, burial and resurrection. Which are the sufferings of Christ and the glory that should follow.
I call you blessed.
I hope you find this a helpful aid and guide in your study

(1) (Reply)

Special Outreach Program For Okada Riders In Lagos Nigeria. / How To Preach Christ Jesus Crucified / The Other Sides Of Asking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.