Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore (25236 Views)

Fashola: DSS Has Arrested My Brother Over Alleged Defamation - Ibezim Nnamdi / Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele / Femi Falana: DSS Has Declared Emefiele A Wanted Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by NwekeUG(m): 12:11pm On Nov 17, 2019
Femi Falana, human rights lawyer, says in the last one week, the Department of State Services (DSS) has given three reasons not to release Omoyele Sowore, convener of RevolutionNow Movement.

Sowore was arrested in Lagos on August 3 and later flown to Abuja where he has been in detention despite two court orders on his release.

The DSS has come under intense pressure over the detention of Sowore and other notable Nigerians.

On Friday, Peter Afunanya, spokesman of the DSS, said Sowore chose to remain in custody of the agency because he is being taken care of.

He said the activist could have been remanded in prison but he appealed to the court to allow him stay in the DSS facility.

But Falana described Afunanya’s statement as an embarrassment to the country.

“Within a spate of one week the state security service (SSS) has adduced three contradictory reasons for not complying with the order of the federal high court for the immediate release Sowore and Bakare from illegal custody,” he said in a statement.

“In a public statement issued on 9/11/19 the SSS claimed that it had wanted to release the duo but for the fact that no one had showed up to receive them. When their lawyers and family members offered to receive them the SSS disqualified them.

“The SSS turned round to say that it would only release the detainees to their sureties. Having found that it lacks the vires to vet sureties that have verified by the federal high court the SSS has asked Nigerians to believe that Messrs Sowore and Bakare had applied to be detained in its protective and comfortable custody!

“Instead of apologising for exposing Nigeria to underserved odium the spokesperson of the security agency has asked us to believe that Sowore and Bakare, Mr. and Mrs Elzakzaky and Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd) “rather chose to be looked after by the DSS”!

“Since we are counsel to the majority of these detainees in question, we are compelled to join issues with the SSS on its latest justification for such brazen abuse of power.”

Falana said the federal government had consistently disobeyed court orders on the release of detainees.

“At various times in the past 4 years, the federal high court, the federal capital territory high court, the court of appeal and the ECOWAS court of justice admitted Col. Dasuki to bail pending trial. Upon meeting his bail conditions on 30/12/15 he was released by the Kuje prison authorities. However, the SSS operatives arrested him at the gate of the prison and has since been detained in defiance of the orders of the aforementioned municipal and regional courts,” he said.

“With respect to Elzakzakys the Information Minister, Mr. Lai Mohammed had said on June 16, 2017 that “Elzakzaky is actually not in prison custody nor police custody nor DSS custody? El-Zakzaky is in a house with his family, this is the honest truth.

“The court ruled that he will be released after his house has been rebuilt. Nobody wants to accept El-Zakzaky as a neighbor. So we have been able to build a house, where do we release him to?” When were the Elzakzakys transferred to the custody of the SSS from the house built for them by the federal government?

“On another occasion the federal government claimed that Mrs Zeinat Elzakzaky was not detained but that she chose the company of her detained husband, Mr. Elzakzaky. As if that was not enough Mr. Lai Mohammed disclosed that the federal government was spending N3.5 million to feed the Elzakzaky per month. Since the Elzakzakys have been detained illegally for the past 46 months the federal government must have wasted N168 million on feeding the couple!

“The federal government has since justified the detention of Col Dasuki and the Elzakzakys by saying that the local and regional courts had failed to take cognisance of the fact that “national security takes precedence over the rule of law.” In fact, for not realising that Sowore ought not to have been admitted to bail the sss was reported to have threatened to report Justice Taiwo Taiwo of the federal high court to the National Judicial Council.”

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecable.ng/falana-dss-has-given-3-contradictory-reasons-for-not-releasing-sowore/amp

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Zeezxo(m): 12:23pm On Nov 17, 2019
If Nairaland fit ban Mannagrillbbq for hate speech why DSS no fit jail Sowore.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by LabDNA: 12:25pm On Nov 17, 2019
This man go wail tire. Make we hear word abeg. Keep supporting Executive intervention in the judiciary. The Executive have hijacked the Judiciary wholesale.

Court injuctions and judgements are now as worthless as used paper towels thanks to your support for the coup against the judiciary before elections.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by nzeobi(m): 12:27pm On Nov 17, 2019
Zeezxo:
was that lunatic banned

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by clarocuzioo(m): 1:27pm On Nov 17, 2019
Q
Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by SalamRushdie: 1:28pm On Nov 17, 2019
Zeezxo:

I have never seen him use any insultive words here even though he can be annoying

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Zeezxo(m): 2:11pm On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:

I have never seen him use any insultive words here even though he can be annoying

He do sometimes but I think he is the most influential person on Nairaland.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by femtex007(m): 2:39pm On Nov 17, 2019
I don't just know where this country is goin to.
Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by nuhu2018(m): 2:40pm On Nov 17, 2019
my people my people my governor my governor if you know you know
Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 17, 2019
One day our youths will grow up, maybe we be in our 60s and in various positions in the country and we must pay for keeping quiet while anarchy keeps brewing...maybe some of us will be unjustly locked up and court orders disobeyed, maybe some of us will loose an election not because we are not qualified but because we kept calm and people turn our electoral process into war...maybe someday we will weep because our children did not reach their full potential not because they are not good enough but because we chose to keep calm now...the time to act is now..why won't we demand amendment to our electoral process, where we can vote for whoever we want from the comfort of our home, office or school and not recycling leaders who love power.
The time to Act is now...The only revolution I am asking of is on our electoral process cause choosing a leader and not a ruler is the pathway to a better nation, God bless Nigeria cry cry cry

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Imefawulo(m): 2:40pm On Nov 17, 2019
I pledge to Nigeria my country
Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Hoodbilonia: 2:41pm On Nov 17, 2019
Since dss saw this pix
Them wan make am reality

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 17, 2019
Zeezxo:

How do you find out if someone has been banned on nl?

2 Likes

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by ZombieTERROR: 2:42pm On Nov 17, 2019
If you have not given up on the country...

What are you waiting for?

After witnessing the show of shame in kogi and bayelsa... A governor was given 10 billion naira loan approved by a rubber stamp Senate a week to an election...

Please pity Nigeria... A one time giant of Africa

Please cry for Nigeria... A dead country..

A leopard never loses its spots... There is nothing democratic about the terrorist in power..
The same man who truncated democracy wearing a military regalia in the past ... Is still the same man in Aso rock today... Only the opposition are corrupt and haunted

Democracy is dead
Free speech is dead
One party system beckons...

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by livebyday(m): 2:42pm On Nov 17, 2019
Zeezxo:

Is that so? wink

Tell me more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Burruchaga71(m): 2:42pm On Nov 17, 2019
Let them return the bailout money abag

2 Likes

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by SaintLucia: 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2019
Abaribe told Falana to be courageous and allow Sowore sureties to come out and speak against the DSS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Ekakamba: 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2019
So unfortunate.

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Babachukwu: 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2019
Government is violating human right everyday and we are not bothered, we don't know what this could cause is future.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by odinson1(m): 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2019
Zeezxo:

next to Nwamaikpe

3 Likes

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Seikiri(m): 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2019
Zeezxo:

How can when we have lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Resistors: 2:44pm On Nov 17, 2019
Cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by NCAN911: 2:45pm On Nov 17, 2019
hh
Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by SoftP(m): 2:45pm On Nov 17, 2019
W
Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by realstars: 2:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
T
Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by kuntash: 2:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
Zeezxo:

U say?

3 Likes

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by aguiyi2: 2:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
Nigeria dey fear me these days ooh!.
Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by jaxxy(m): 2:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
Evidence and trademark of failed state. Even the law enforcement don’t respect the law or courts. Shame.

3 Likes

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by apesinola001: 2:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
I am sorry for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore by Zeezxo(m): 2:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
Kalixx:

How do you find out if someone has been banned on nl?
Me just saying my own ooo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Wish You Well - PDP Bids Ayade Farewell / Buhari Neglected Utomi, Falae, Ezekwesili For ‘mosquito Economic Team’ – Fasheun / Oshiomhole: If I Were Buhari, I’ll Jail Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.