Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet (5427 Views)

Femi Otedola Gifts All 750 Students Of Augustine University N1 Million Each / AltSchool Raises $1 Million Pre-Seed To Build An Alternative School For Africans / Have You Been Able To Recoup All Your School Fees Since You Graduated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Mrshape: 8:21pm On Nov 17, 2019
1, P vs NP

Some problems are easy, and some problems are hard.

In the world of math and computer science, there are a lot of problems that we know how to program a computer to solve "quickly" - basic arithmetic, sorting a list, searching through a data table. These problems can be solved in "polynomial time," abbreviated as "P." It means the number of steps it takes to add two numbers, or to sort a list, grows manageably with the size of the numbers or the length of the list.

But there's another group of problems for which it's easy to check whether or not a possible solution to the problem is correct, but we don't know how to efficiently find a solution. Finding the prime factors of a large number is such a problem - if I have a list of possible factors, I can multiply them together and see if I get back my original number. But there is no known way to quickly find the factors of an arbitrary large number. Indeed, the security of the Internet relies on this fact.

For historical and technical reasons, problems where we can quickly check a possible solution are said to be solvable in "nondeterministic polynomial time," or "NP."

Any problem in P is automatically in NP - if I can solve a problem quickly, I can just as quickly check a possible solution simply by actually solving the problem and seeing if the answer matches my possible solution. The essence of the P vs NP question is whether or not the reverse is true: If I have an efficient way to check solutions to a problem, is there an efficient way to actually find those solutions?

Most mathematicians and computer scientists believe the answer is no. An algorithm that could solve NP problems in polynomial time would have mind-blowing implications throughout most of math, science, and technology, and those implications are so out-of-this-world that they suggest reason to doubt that this is possible.

Of course, proving that no such algorithm exists is itself an incredibly daunting task. Being able to definitively make such a statement about these kinds of problems would likely require a much deeper understanding of the nature of information and computation than we currently have, and would almost certainly have profound and far-reaching consequences

2.THE NAVIER-STOKES EQUATION

It's surprisingly difficult to explain what happens when you stir cream into your morning coffee.

The Navier-Stokes equations are the fluid-dynamics version of Newton's three laws of motion. They describe how the flow of a liquid or a gas will evolve under various conditions. Just as Newton's second law gives a description of how an object's velocity will change under the influence of an outside force, the Navier-Stokes equations describe how the speed of a fluid's flow will change under internal forces like pressure and viscosity, as well as outside forces like gravity.

The Navier-Stokes equations are a system of differential equations. Differential equations describe how a particular quantity changes over time, given some initial starting conditions, and they are useful in describing all sorts of physical systems. In the case of the Navier-Stokes equations, we start with some initial fluid flow, and the differential equations describe how that flow evolves.

Solving a differential equation means finding some mathematical formula to determine what your quantity of interest actually will be at any particular time, based on the equations that describe how the quantity changes. Many physical systems described by differential equations, like a vibrating guitar string, or the flow of heat from a hot object to a cold object, have well-known solutions of this type.

The Navier-Stokes equations, however, are harder. Mathematically, the tools used to solve other differential equations have not proven as useful here. Physically, fluids can exhibit chaotic and turbulent behavior: Smoke coming off a candle or cigarette tends to initially flow smoothly and predictably, but quickly devolves into unpredictable vortices and whorls.

It's possible that this kind of turbulent and chaotic behavior means that the Navier-Stokes equations can't actually be solved exactly in all cases. It might be possible to construct some idealized mathematical fluid that, following the equations, eventually becomes infinitely turbulent.

Anyone who can construct a way to solve the Navier-Stokes equations in all cases, or show an example where the equations cannot be solved, would win the Millennium Prize for this problem.

3. THE RIEMANN HYPOTHESIS

Wikimedia Commons
Going back to ancient times, the prime numbers - numbers divisible only by themselves and 1 - have been an object of fascination to mathematicians. On a fundamental level, the primes are the "building blocks" of the whole numbers, as any whole number can be uniquely broken down into a product of prime numbers.

Given the centrality of the prime numbers to mathematics, questions about how primes are distributed along the number line - that is, how far away prime numbers are from each other - are active areas of interest.

By the 19th century, mathematicians had discovered various formulas that give an approximate idea of the average distance between primes. What remains unknown, however, is how close to that average the true distribution of primes stays - that is, whether there are parts of the number line where there are "too many" or "too few" primes according to those average formulas.

The Riemann Hypothesis limits that possibility by establishing bounds on how far from average the distribution of prime numbers can stray. The hypothesis is equivalent to, and usually stated in terms of, whether or not the solutions to an equation based on a mathematical construct called the "Riemann zeta function" all lie along a particular line in the complex number plane. Indeed, the study of functions like the zeta function has become its own area of mathematical interest, making the Riemann Hypothesis and related problems all the more important.

Like several of the Millennium Prize problems, there is significant evidence suggesting that the Riemann Hypothesis is true, but a rigorous proof remains elusive. To date, computational methods have found that around 10 trillion solutions to the zeta function equation fall along the required line, with no counter-examples found.

Of course, from a mathematical perspective, 10 trillion examples of a hypothesis being true absolutely does not substitute for a full proof of that hypothesis, leaving the Riemann Hypothesis one of the open Millennium Prize problems.

In September 2018, the esteemed mathematician Professor Michael Atiyah claimed to have found a proof of the Riemann Hypothesis in a lecture at Heidelburg Laureate Forum. However, several mathematicians have expressed skepticism about the result, and a thorough process of reviewing and evaluating Atiyah's arguments will now begin.

4 The Birch and Swinner

5 The Hodge conjecture

6 Yang-Mills theory and the quantum mass gap

https://amp.businessinsider.com/millennium-prize-problems-million-dollar-prize-2017-12

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Mrshape: 8:23pm On Nov 17, 2019
If you want to make quick money
Solve one of those problems.
This one pays better than Bg Brother Niger
No audition is need, no sales of form, no celebrity preference,
No man know man.
Try it out.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT
THE PROBLEMS WERE 7, BUT A RUSSIAN MATHEMATICIAN
HAS SOLVED ONE ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO
But he refuse to accept the $1 million dollars.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Martinez39(m): 8:30pm On Nov 17, 2019
I always have a saying: "If you think you are very good at mathematics then you have studied enough of it."

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Mrshape: 8:36pm On Nov 17, 2019
Martinez39:
I always have a saying: "If you think you are very good at mathematics then you have studied enough of it."
Hahaha true word my brother
Make lalasticlala take it to front page maybe a Niaralander will solve it,
But he go share small of the money with me o.

@Fynestboi @olawalebabs @Richiez

dominique Seun Mynd44

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 17, 2019
I can solve one of the problems for real... That was my final year project.. lol... .. but its not all about the money tho because if we no buy the Benz wetin man gain... grin
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Mrshape: 9:05pm On Nov 17, 2019
Pascalville:
I can solve one of the problems for real... That was my final year project.. lol... .. but its not all about the money tho because if we no buy the Benz wetin man gain... grin
Please for the sake of Nigeria solve it make dollars way no be yahoo money fit still reach Nigeria.
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Amstupid(m): 10:14pm On Nov 17, 2019
Una all get problem for dis thread ooo undecided
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by OkCornel(m): 10:34pm On Nov 17, 2019
Hmmm insightful and mentally stimulating...
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Generalwoodz(m): 1:46am On Nov 18, 2019
Who created za froblem?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by profnigga(m): 2:33am On Nov 18, 2019
D list is incomplete without FERMAT LAST THEOREM.
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Nobody: 4:29am On Nov 18, 2019
This looks good. Let me book seat
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Nobody: 5:20am On Nov 18, 2019
profnigga:

Since 1994 cheesy cheesy

Andrew wiles has done that one.

1 Like

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Nobody: 5:23am On Nov 18, 2019
Martinez39:

When I hear people call themselves
Witch of Maths,
King Calculus. Etc I laugh.

If you think you know it all then you know nothing at all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Nobody: 5:26am On Nov 18, 2019
cheesy cheesy

If you think you need fast means to make money. This certainly is not one of them. Na die you go die

2 Likes

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by YorubaPrince: 6:04am On Nov 18, 2019
Mrshape:

Hahaha true word my brother
Make lalasticlala take it to front page maybe a Niaralander will solve it,
But he go share small of the money with me o.

@Fynestboi @olawalebabs @Richiez

dominique Seun Mynd44

If this reaches fp, you go see how dem go take avoid am like plague. This sort of educative and mindblowing piece isn't of interest to most of them.

NL is a reflection of the typical average 9ja youth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Mrshape: 6:26am On Nov 18, 2019
profnigga:
Set only #100K for that one, and see if we no go claim your money before one hour time
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Mrshape: 6:29am On Nov 18, 2019
OrestesDante:
cheesy cheesy

If you think you need fast means to make money. This certainly is not one of them. Na die you go die

Lol
Lazy Nigeria youth
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Badb0y4lyf(m): 6:56am On Nov 18, 2019
Any brain capable of solving this problems isn’t doing it for money but the quest for knowledge and recognition

1 Like

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 18, 2019
I feel like at least one of the remaining problems will be solved this century.
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by LadySarah: 7:49am On Nov 18, 2019
I thought Navier Stokes has been solved by one 'gifted' Elizabeth??.
Watxhed the movie

1 Like

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by maynation(f): 8:15am On Nov 18, 2019
I .solving this straight up, give me till Saturday. angry
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by maynation(f): 8:18am On Nov 18, 2019
LadySarah:
I thought Navier Stokes has been solved by one 'gifted' Elizabeth??.
Watxhed the movie
If it's 'Gifted' the Chris Evans and Mckenna Grace's movie, it's just a movie not a true life story.
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by AlwaysConfused: 8:40am On Nov 18, 2019
maynation:
I .solving this straight up, give me till Saturday. angry

Which Saturday? Because it can't be any Saturday in this year or the foreseeable years.
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by movingclouds(m): 8:56am On Nov 18, 2019
I don't know where the problems started from..

1 Like

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by rowland545(m): 8:56am On Nov 18, 2019
I did not understand a thing that was said up there....my hatred for maths cannot b measured.... The only maths I know is + or - if e pass that one ....my hand no day
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by SoftP(m): 9:37am On Nov 18, 2019
How to cure Death.

The worst of them all
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Tonymegabush1(m): 10:45am On Nov 18, 2019
Mathematicians...... The way i just lose interest in maths i cnt fathom
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Lagbaja01(m): 11:02am On Nov 18, 2019
Simple thing undecidedespecially No 3, No 5 is a bit tough but I just solved it last night undecided cool
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by MrHistorian: 11:46am On Nov 18, 2019
Cc Samuelizz
cool
Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by rerhji(m): 12:26pm On Nov 18, 2019
i did navier-stoke equation in school as a meteorology student....nd bros....wetin u wrote up there is wat made me understand the basics of navier-stoke.........
wetin my lecturer taught us about it......m sure he himself didn't understand wat he was saying...just brought out a text book with no basic explanation nd we keep dy/dx ing

2 Likes

Re: 6 Problems That Is Worth $1 Million Each, No One Has Been Able To Solve It Yet by Thecvbankng: 12:26pm On Nov 18, 2019
Do you need a professional Resume, LinkedIn, and Cover Letter Writer?

If YES, then contact us via our signature today. We have testimonies from our previous clients in the link also in our signature to convince you why you need to work with us today smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

School Boy Falls In Love With His Teacher, Calls Her ‘my Wife’ (Photos) / Rare University Graduation Photo Of Tiwa Savage Hits Social Media (Photo) / 25 Random Fun Facts That Sound Too Funny To Be Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.