Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! (926 Views)

Femi Ositade Gets $3.5M Scholarships From Harvard, 13 Foreign Universities / Kenneth Ononeze Okwor Graduates From Harvard (Photos) / Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 3:47pm On Nov 18, 2019
There is a tradition punctuation test given to British schoolchildren in the now dim and distant past. They are asked to punctuate the following sentence:

Frank I walked and talked half an hour after his body was cut off.

The Oxford comma (also known as the "serial comma" or "Harvard comma" ) is the name given to the optional final comma in a series. In the phrase "ham, egg, and chips" it's the comma between "egg" and "and". Entirely optional - correct punctuation neither demands nor requires it. And like everything that is optional, it has its adherents and its detractors, and, of course, there is also the vast majority of English speakers who don't care one way or another.

This essay examines why the Oxford comma was invented, then refutes the arguments of those who religiously use it, and recommends that any writer who understands what he writes has no need to make its use mandatory.

https://grammar.fandom.com/wiki/Oxford_comma

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 12:35am On Nov 19, 2019
Punctuate the following sentence:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by kkins25(m): 12:42am On Nov 19, 2019
budaatum:

Frank, I walked, and talked half an hour after his body was cut off.
Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 12:53am On Nov 19, 2019
kkins25:
Frank, I walked, and talked half an hour after his body was cut off.
Wrong!

2 Likes

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by kkins25(m): 1:14am On Nov 19, 2019
budaatum:

Frank, I walked and talked half an hour after his body was cut off.
budaatum:

Wrong!
Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 4:43pm On Nov 20, 2019
Wrong kkins25, as you'd know if you'd done your homework and read the (very long headfuq) op, which is what the test is to help determine.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by bewitching: 5:03pm On Nov 21, 2019
Frank, I walked, and talked, half an hour after, his body was cut off.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by aadoiza: 6:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
bewitching:
Frank, I walked, and talked, half an hour after, his body was cut off.
Never ever try punctuating like this anywhere else.

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 7:09pm On Nov 23, 2019
aadoiza:

Never ever try punctuating like this anywhere else.
Where's your's aadoiza?

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by aadoiza: 11:31am On Nov 25, 2019
budaatum:

Where's your's aadoiza?

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 5:49pm On Nov 25, 2019
aadoiza:

Wrong!

Can you all explain what you mean please. It'll be interesting to understand how you think it.

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by aadoiza: 7:09pm On Nov 25, 2019
budaatum:

Wrong!

Can you all explain what you mean please. It'll be interesting to understand how you think it.
No, it's not.
You're the one to explain what you meant by the sentence because if we're to go by the apparent meaning, then my punctuation is not wrong.
Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 1:25am On Nov 26, 2019
aadoiza:

No, it's not.
You're the one to explain what you meant by the sentence because if we're to go by the apparent meaning, then my punctuation is not wrong.
If you insist. Though, no one said the meaning is apparent since it obviously isn't.

To everyone else, aadoiza's punctuation is incorrect.

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by aadoiza: 10:46am On Nov 26, 2019
budaatum:

If you insist. Though, no one said the meaning is apparent since it obviously isn't.

To everyone else, aadoiza's punctuation is incorrect
To everyone else my punctuation is correct but to you.
There's only one apparent meaning the sentence conveys to all readers, but if you think there's a hidden understanding to it—why not make it known, and be done with this shilly-shallying.
Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 3:16pm On Nov 26, 2019
aadoiza:

To everyone else my punctuation is correct but to you.
There's only one apparent meaning the sentence conveys to all readers, but if you think there's a hidden understanding to it—why not make it known, and be done with this shilly-shallying.
Did you read the op at all? Is this how you generally claim you are right, with no reference to anything but your own understanding?

You are incorrect aad, and no, I'm not making the right answer known. Someone smarter than you might be coming along and I wouldn't want to spoil their joy of getting the answer right.

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by aadoiza: 3:34pm On Nov 26, 2019
budaatum:

Did you read the op at all? Is this how you generally claim you are right, with no reference to anything but you own understanding

You are incorrect aad, and no, I'm not making the right answer known. Someone smarter than you might be coming along and I wouldn't want to spoil their joy of getting the answer right.

The question asked has got no business with the OP. It is plain and straightforward, and anyone who knows anything about punctuations knows I'm correct—unless, of course, you are writing in yoda English, as hinted by a fellow nairalander a while back. LMAO
Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 3:38pm On Nov 26, 2019
aadoiza:

The question asked has got no business with the OP. It is plain and straightforward, and anyone who knows anything about punctuations knows I'm correct—unless, of course, you are writing in yoda English, as hinted by a fellow nairalander a while back. LMAO
Goes to show how little of the op you actually read, for which the punctuation exercise is simply a test!

I did not write it, and the meaning and correct punctuation is in the op.

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by aadoiza: 4:50pm On Nov 27, 2019
budaatum:

Goes to show how little of the op you actually read, for which the punctuation exercise is simply a test!

I did not write it, and the meaning and correct punctuation is in the op.
I did my best to punctuate that sentence, but it's wrong to you, and you insisted I read the OP, so I did. Having done that, I realised the sentence is: firstly, completely unconnected with the 'oxford comma', a terrible example to use the said comma in; secondly, it is a poorly-worded statement. Thus, except you explain that sentence or rewrite it, my punctuation remains. Only when either is done can it be properly punctuated.
Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 5:07pm On Nov 27, 2019
aadoiza:

I did my best to punctuate that sentence, but it's wrong to you, and you insisted I read the OP, so I did. Having done that, I realised the sentence is: firstly, completely unconnected with the 'oxford comma', a terrible example to use the said comma in; secondly, it is a poorly-worded statement. Thus, except you explain that sentence or rewrite it, my punctuation remains. Only when either is done can it be properly punctuated.
Well done for reading the op. Note I called it a headfuq, as in very complex and not easily understood, though very well and thoughtfully written.

Please know that you are not wrong only according to me but also according to the op. The sentence is explained in it and even rewritten, so now we just have to wonder if we understood what we read.

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by aadoiza: 5:15pm On Nov 27, 2019
budaatum:

Well done for reading the op. Note I called it a headfuq, as in very complex and not easily understood, though very well and thoughtfully written.

Please know that you are not wrong only according to me but also according to the op. The sentence is explained in it and even rewritten, so now we just have to wonder if we understood what we read.

There's only one question in your OP and it's not rewritten anywhere.
Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 5:45pm On Nov 27, 2019
aadoiza:

There's only one question in your OP and it's not rewritten anywhere.
I'm beginning to doubt you read the OP you claimed you had. You do know that reading the OP includes following the links in the OP, right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by phrezzz: 7:40pm On Nov 27, 2019
budaatum:

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 7:47pm On Nov 27, 2019
phrezzz:

That's what aadoiza said!

aadoiza:

I asked him to explain what his punctuated meant but I guess he's negotiating.

Incorrect.

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by phrezzz: 9:03am On Nov 28, 2019
budaatum:

Incorrect.

Frank, I walked and talked; half an hour after, his body was cut off.

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by aadoiza: 11:47am On Nov 28, 2019
budaatum:

I'm beginning to doubt you read the OP you claimed you had. You do know that reading the OP includes following the links in the OP, right?

Oh, I no follow any link joor.
Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by aadoiza: 11:52am On Nov 28, 2019
budaatum:

Incorrect.
You see how he also punctuated? But it's wrong to you 'cos your sentence is badly worded.

I'm stating again that you're the one to explain your sentence, not me, for better perspective.
Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 3:09pm On Nov 28, 2019
aadoiza:

Aha! You did not read the op!

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 3:57pm On Jan 31, 2020
budaatum:

1 Like

Re: Oxford-Harvard Comma Headfuq! by budaatum: 1:39am On Feb 01, 2020
aadoiza:

You must please not quote me again until you learn how to see and read what is in front of you instead of making crap up in your head and calling your fake spiritism actual reality!

Ref: https://www.nairaland.com/5654396/youre-too-low-kobe-pilot/2#86276654

(1) (Reply)

Do All Chinese People Eat Bats,snakes, Cats And Frogs? / Where Is The Best Country Learn French? Ivory Coast Or Cotonou? / Boy Was Beating His Fellow Student Badly In The Class To Point Of Death:video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.