Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS (45117 Views)

Update On Lagos Metro Rail Project: Pictures & Video / The True State Of The Enugu International Airport - Eze Pee-Cee Shares Photos / Update from the Lagos-Kano Standard Gauge Rail - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by sulaak(m): 8:19am On Nov 20, 2019
jeebz:
@ Op
As a concerned Lagosian, I am disappointed at the slow pace of construction of the first of 6 rail lines for the Light Rail service. However, as the poster above me alluded the major issue is with the funding and the terrain of the track. The track follows a path where it run along the road, elevated and across water. I believe that if this line can be launched soon enough, if will provide a relief for those staying in the Surulere to Badagry axis since it would reduce car traffic.

I disagree with your POV. Lagos state has the funding, they wouldn't start a project of this magnitude without conducting a comprehensive risk assessment of unstable FX.

A state of more than 20 million people should be able to fund a metro-rail programme...period.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by sulaak(m): 8:29am On Nov 20, 2019
ornicus:

like i said before, when you actually have project management experience, come back. you see how the date for dangote's refinery keeps getting pushed back? that is the harsh reality of executing projects. Shit will happen. what lasg has failed on is proper stakeholder management. then again, the information is probably available for those who know where to llok

If you had any project management experience, you will know that a programme of this magnitude is within the domain of a programme and risk management become a priority before you kick off the project.

Stop looking for excuses for bad planning.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 20, 2019
sulaak:

If you had any project management experience, you will know that a programme of this magnitude is within the domain of a programme and risk management become a priority before you kick off the project.

If you had any actual experience you would understand that planning for risks and unforeseen incidents does not mean they will not happen or that they can be completely mitigated.

At every turn you have spoken like a small child. You think resources are unlimited.

You think everything should be put on hold so a project will be executed.
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by AFONJAPIG(m): 9:19am On Nov 20, 2019
Kennyswagzz:
you are drunk
you are on cheap drugs... Where exactly can one find crude oil in Dubai... Ode
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by digitaltrades: 9:42am On Nov 20, 2019
johnmartus:
Stop painting me bad. Because if I love corruption i would haven't campaigned against Jonathan then.

If you don't love corruption and regression, why were you attacking autojosh for exposing the decay in the light rail project?

You campaigned against Jonathan but support Yahaya Bello, Ganduje and Co; yet you say you don't love corruption?

Yes, you love corruption when perpetrated by your preferred politicians. How are you a patriot? How do you differ from any other villain in Jonathan's government?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by bayulll011(m): 9:53am On Nov 20, 2019
AutoReportNG:
It was reported in the news over the weekend that the Lagos State Government has set 2022 as the take-off year of the much-awaited Lagos Metro Rail. As good as this news may be, it is, however, embarrassing that a state like Lagos State can not complete a 27km railway line that will run from Okokomaiko-Iddo-Marina Line.

how many time you want to report this nonsense.
what you should be reporting is why is it at this stage and how much money has been spent on it.
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by Kennyswagzz: 9:54am On Nov 20, 2019
AFONJAPIG:
you are on cheap drugs... Where exactly can one find crude oil in Dubai... Ode
fool.. go and read a book. Ode
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by tck2000(m): 11:35am On Nov 20, 2019
Fit
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by tot(f): 11:45am On Nov 20, 2019
sulaak:

Don't waste your time with that dude. It's a complete waste of time engaging in discussions with such a dense person.
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by CeterisXVII: 11:49am On Nov 20, 2019
ornicus:
this is why you people are simple kids. you want to compare a purchase to a major construction project?

let me put the nonsense you said in a perspective your intellect will understand

that guy don buy bicycle for his pikin but he cannot complete his house

I will give you a solution?

please go and play with toys. you know NOTHING about the lagos metro project
Forex rates rose in 2014/2015. That project should have been completed long before then. Everyone knows that.

As for the friction between workers and CCCEC that you earlier cited, that was a no brainier.

Govt knows that any project like this, will always have opposition from citizens, whose work and lives are negatively impacted by such construction work.

By deploying good negotiation and mediation skills, such conflicts could have been resolved within a short span of time.

Lagos State Govt cannot tell us that they lack experts in this area.

Risk management should also have helped to mitigate some of those issues.

The problem is that govt has run out of excuses, to cover up the delay in this project.

If they were sincere with funding and deployment, and did not divert part of the funds initially to other things, this project would have been finished long ago.

Building concrete beams over water, to support rail tracks, is NOT rocket science, anywhere in the world.

In the 70s, 80s and 90s, different bridges were constructed across the water, built on concrete beams. It didn't take 10 years for such construction to be completed.

When govt performance falls below par, people should be free to tell them the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 20, 2019
CeterisXVII:

Forex rates rose in 2014/2015. That project should have been completed long before then. Everyone knows that.

As for the friction between workers and CCCEC that you earlier cited, that was a no brainier.

Govt knows that any project like this, will always have opposition from citizens, whose work and lives are negatively impacted by such construction work.

By deploying good negotiation and mediation skills, such conflicts could have been resolved within a short span of time.

Lagos State Govt cannot tell us that they lack experts in this area.

Risk management should also have helped to mitigate some of those issues.

The problem is that govt has run out of excuses, to cover up the delay in this project.

If they were sincere with funding and deployment, and did not divert part of the funds initially to other things, this project would have been finished long ago.

Building concrete beans over water, to support rail tracks is NOT rocket science.

In the 70s, 80s and 90s, different bridges we're constructed across the water, built on concrete beams. It didn't take 10 years for such construction to be completed.

When govt performance falls below par, people should be free to tell them the truth.

The friction between ccecc and workers is a constant. I was working on a project around trade fair and we were following up because we wanted their timelines. Every other month, there was an issue with their workers.you know Chinese have a hardcore work ethic and no religion per se.

Consider the conundrum.the project was awarded by to the lowest bidder. No contingency.we also had an issue where we were trying to engage ccecc to fix our site entrance and exit and perimeter drains.they explicitly told us it was not in their budget and they would not execute.

Your project is financed by the world Bank. You are loaned money to reach a particular milestone say 50% Because of your forex fluctuations your financing can only reach 40%. You cannot advance to 50% to claim the next tranch payment. You cannot legally inject your funds into the project.i am sure you know there are toll gates along the express that will be used for Financing loan repayment

So what do you do?

The real failure is lasg did not communicate these issues to their stakeholders.
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by CeterisXVII: 12:26pm On Nov 20, 2019
ornicus:
The friction between ccecc and workers is a constant. I was working on a project around trade fair and we were following up because we wanted their timelines. Every other month, there was an issue with their workers.you know Chinese have a hardcore work ethic and no religion per se.

Consider the conundrum.the project was awarded by to the lowest bidder. No contingency.we also had an issue where we were trying to engage ccecc to fix our site entrance and exit and perimeter drains.they explicitly told us it was not in their budget and they would not execute.

Your project is financed by the world Bank. You are loaned money to reach a particular milestone say 50% Because of your forex fluctuations your financing can only reach 40%. You cannot advance to 50% to claim the next tranch payment. You cannot legally inject your funds into the project.i am sure you know there are toll gates along the express that will be used for Financing loan repayment

So what do you do?

The real failure is lasg did not communicate these issues to their stakeholders.
I understand what you are saying, but honestly while labour issues may be difficult, they are not impossible to manage, if there is sincerity on the part of both parties. undecided

Like I said before, appropriate conflict management and mediation strategies, could have been deployed, to resolve the problems in a timely manner. sad

The Chinese have carried out different projects in various African countries, and other parts of the world. How come they completed such projects in a timely and efficient manner?

LASG did not monitor the project properly from day one, and did not ensure World Bank funds were disbursed properly. angry

In many cases, such funds are not paid directly to the contractor. Some times they are paid to govt accounts, who in turn remits it to the contractor, after each milestone is achieved.

At other times, they are placed in an escrow account for disbursement, upon satisfactory completion of each project milestone.

If World Bank failed to release the money, why not seek external or internal funding sources to get the project to the next achievable milestone, so that World Bank can then release the needed funds?

I don't know what financing structure was in place, but honestly LASG failed to manage things, properly. shocked

1 Like

Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by Nobody: 12:37pm On Nov 20, 2019
CeterisXVII:

I understand what you are saying, but honestly while labour issues may be difficult, they are not impossible to manage, if there is sincerity on the part of both parties. undecided

Like I said before, appropriate conflict management and mediation strategies, could have been deployed, to resolve the problems in a timely manner. sad

The Chinese have carried out different projects in various African countries, and other parts of the world. How come they completed such projects in a timely and efficient manner?

LASG did not monitor the project properly from day one, and did not ensure World Bank funds were disbursed properly. angry

In many cases, such funds are not paid directly to the contractor. Some times they are paid to govt accounts, who in turn remits it to the contractor.

At other times, they are placed in an escrow account for disbursement, upon satisfactory completion of each project milestone.

I don't know what financing structure was in place, but honestly LASG failed to manage things, properly. shocked

The moment there are variations on a project with razor thin margins, its wahala time. Especially if the vendor knows you have cash flow issues.

If you play dirty, you can form liquidity get vendor to complete and then dodge calls until there is money to pay.

Often it's to try to get the vendor to complete with promises of repeat business. Sometimes it works, sometimes the vendors down tools and you're effed

Possibly lasg could have managed it better. I would say ambode was more concerned with his own direct legacy than resolving the issues.

Work seems to be on hold.
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by CeterisXVII: 12:56pm On Nov 20, 2019
ornicus:
The moment there are variations on a project with razor thin margins, its wahala time. Especially if the vendor knows you have cash flow issues.

If you play dirty, you can form liquidity get vendor to complete and then dodge calls until there is money to pay.

Often it's to try to get the vendor to complete with promises of repeat business. Sometimes it works, sometimes the vendors down tools and you're effed

Possibly lasg could have managed it better. I would say ambode was more concerned with his own direct legacy than resolving the issues.

Work seems to be on hold.

Oga, as a supply chain expert, I train people in vendor management.

Please note: It is only local vendors you can manage with promises. And once you make a promise, you had better fulfil it within the stipulated timelines, or else you would be held liable or asked to pay penalties, based on the terms in the contract. sad

In some cases, such local vendors end up abandoning your project after repeated demands for payment, and you fail to comply, like you rightly pointed out.

It is unethical and totally wrong, to pretend to a vendor that you will pay him, when you do not have funds, yet you still expect him to use his own money to complete your project. undecided

You do NOT try such tactics with foreign vendors, please. Or else you would have a law suit or an arbitration case, on your hands. undecided

If there is a force majeure, or contract variation, all parties are notified and different strategies are called up, to handle the issue. Any strategy to be used, must be mutually agreed upon.

I still believe proper project monitoring and control on the part of LASG, was absent in this case. Word on the street, was that it was a source through which the state govt to siphoned funds and diverted it, to other things. I do not know how far that is true. shocked

All I know is that foreign contractors or vendors, cannot be trifled with, or tricked into working without payment. angry

Strict project monitoring and evaluation needs to be carried out regularly, to ensure compliance with the term of the project. shocked

The case of P&ID that sued federal government abroad in a UK court, for billions is still very fresh. angry

LASG should not fall into that same pit....the Chinese do not have infinite patience.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 20, 2019
CeterisXVII:

Oga, I am a supply chain expert and I train people in vendor management.

Please note: It is only local vendors you can manage with promises. And once you make a promise, you had better fulfil it within the stipulated timelines, or else you would be held liable or asked to pay penalties, based on the terms in the contract.

You do NOT try such tactics with foreign vendors, please. Or else you would have a law suit or an arbitration case, on your hands.

If there is a force majeure, or contract variation, all parties are notified and different strategies are called up, to handle the issue. Any strategy to be used, must be mutually agreed upon.

I still believe proper project monitoring and control on the part of LASG, was absent in this case. Word on the street, was that it was a source through which the state govt to siphoned funds and diverted it, to other things. I do not know how far that is true.

All I know is that foreign contractors or vendors, cannot be trifled with, or tricked into working without payment.

Strict project monitoring and evaluation needs to be carried out regularly, to ensure compliance with the term of the project.

The case of P&ID that sued federal government abroad in a UK court, for billions is still very fresh.

LASG should not fall into that same pit....

You see we are saying the same thing. So if milestones cannot be reached because of fluctuations, the best you can do is skeletal operations (demobilisation cost is another story) until you reach a resolution on refinancing.
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by AFONJAPIG(m): 4:02am On Nov 21, 2019
Kennyswagzz:
fool.. go and read a book. Ode
you are the worst ode I have ever seen, chatting in side ur papa 10/10face me I face me room spilling rubbish with ur mouth, so now u know Dubai is not a country but a province in AE .... Ewu ohia... No oil in Dubai
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by Kennyswagzz: 8:04am On Nov 21, 2019
AFONJAPIG:
you are the worst ode I have ever seen, chatting in side ur papa 10/10face me I face me room spilling rubbish with ur mouth, so now u know Dubai is not a country but a province in AE .... Ewu ohia... No oil in Dubai
goat. Who doesnt know that dubai is an emirate in UAE. so what was use to build it since you claim no oil?
Ewu awusa
https://gulfnews.com/business/energy/oil-in-dubai-history...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Dubai
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by jeebz: 3:26am On Nov 22, 2019
sulaak:

I disagree with your POV. Lagos state has the funding, they wouldn't start a project of this magnitude without conducting a comprehensive risk assessment of unstable FX.

A state of more than 20 million people should be able to fund a metro-rail programme...period.

The premise of your argument is a flawed. The population of a state is not a significant factor in determining if it can fund a rail line. Lagos state primarily generates revenue through corporate taxes and given the recurring and capital expenses the state has, corporate taxes may not be enough especially with the slow economic growth. In some other cities around the world, infrastructure projects are funded and maintained by taxes/tolls. Projects are bound to overrun due dates and expenditure, however as I stated in my post, I didn't expect a single line to take over 10 years to complete.
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by AFONJAPIG(m): 4:31pm On Nov 23, 2019
Kennyswagzz:
goat. Who doesnt know that dubai is an emirate in UAE. so what was use to build it since you claim no oil?
Ewu awusa
https://gulfnews.com/business/energy/oil-in-dubai-history...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Dubai
Ezi you have been touring the world with ur phone and Google map... Nah ur mates dey go abroad go do summer come back,
Re: Lagos Metro Rail: An Overview Of The True State Of Lagos Rail - PHOTOS by Kennyswagzz: 6:40pm On Nov 23, 2019
AFONJAPIG:
Ezi you have been touring the world with ur phone and Google map... Nah ur mates dey go abroad go do summer come back,
Anu ndele

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Three Female SIIHST Lecturers Die In Kaduna Auto Crash (Graphic) / Nigerian Lady Celebrates Acquiring Canadian & UK Passports / Hit-And-Run Driver Injures Policeman In Lagos (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.