Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,030 members, 7,807,055 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria (240862 Views)

Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Andre, I used to think well of you, but now, you're no longer any different from your pan-Igbo peers here on NL; attacking anyone who asks a simple question. I'll answer your question by stating that what you're referring to (that Wiki page), is actually a list of ethnic affiliations and not a list of linguistic affiliations.

Now, what of your defense for why that NG list is supposedly accurate?
I do not loose sleep over what you or any one thinks of me here on nairaland. There is nothing wrong in letting you know that you have displayed a bad attitude. It is not a good attitude to answer a question asked to another person. To you it does not matter, but what matters to someone else may not matter to you.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2010
I'm not sure if you read correctly, but I only answered the question you posed to me, after you refused to answer the question I posed to you.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 6:27pm On Jul 03, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Actually you're wrong. The sole reason I ask questions is to further broaden my understanding. Onye ajuju anaghi efu uzo. I've told you that before, and abu m ezigbota onye ajuju. I ask a lot of questions. So you cannot justly make and defend the claim that my mind is already made up.

I gave answers to some questions and you claimed I over stretched them. What do you want me to do? Go into full research and publish a book for you?

How can a teacher explain to a student how a bunch of coloured lights turned out white? If you can give an answer to that, then I’ll go deeper and try to answer your curiosity.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 6:30pm On Jul 03, 2010
An Assumption: Maybe you all are burdened with sentiment and preconceptions of me. You all seem to be suspecting that I have a motive, when I don't. All I'm doing is simply asking questions. But if you all are finding it this difficult to answer my simple questions then nevermind. Forget I asked.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 6:43pm On Jul 03, 2010
ChinenyeN:

An Assumption: Maybe you all are burdened with sentiment and preconceptions of me. You all seem to be suspecting that I have a motive, when I don't. All I'm doing is simply asking questions. But if you all are finding it this difficult to answer my simple questions then nevermind. Forget I asked.

Nobody is suspecting anything.
If you were in a class and a student of yours asks you to explain how a bunch of coloured lights turned out white, how do you go about it? … and it doesn’t end there, he keeps dragging his feet that you must give an answer else nobody will leave the classroom. Isn't it sheer stubbornness?

Most things are not definite, you can only accept them until you have other proof to believe otherwise.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 6:52pm On Jul 03, 2010
If you all are not suspecting anything, then why are you finding it so difficult to answer my questions. That light example doesn't work, because it has a definitive/technical answer. This discussion though, is anything but definitive/technical.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 6:54pm On Jul 03, 2010
What is the answer?
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 6:57pm On Jul 03, 2010
But you know what, it's okay. If I seriously have to go through all of this for some very simple and straightforward questions, then it isn't worth it. My questions are rather simple, and I don't understand why this all has to be a struggle. So it's okay. Let's leave it, because all this back and forth just isn't what I'm here for.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 6:58pm On Jul 03, 2010
If I go back to the issue of Eri that many believed was the progenitor of Igbo and you claimed Ngwa wasn’t from Eri without saying where Ngwa came from. That’s what is termed “blind argument”.
Do I believe in Eri totally? No, but I cannot argue against it without any facts.

That’s the summary of what you do.

1 Like

Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2010
I really am not here to go back and forth with you. Neither am I here to argue about me or Ngwa. I just want to ask questions and get them answered, but if it really constitutes all this unnecessary back-and-forth-ness, then forget I asked. Dang, you people are always trying to complicate even the simplest of things.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 7:16pm On Jul 03, 2010
Okay, let's end this with something from the very reliable Federal Government of Nigeria:

NIGERIA MULTIPLE INDICATOR CLUSTER SURVEY

. . . Nigeria has one of the most ethnically-diverse populations in the world, with more than 380 distinct ethnic groups. The major ethnic groups include (in alphabetical order) the Edo, Efik, Fulani, Hausa, Igbo, Ijaw, Kanuri, Tiv, Urhobo and Yoruba.

. . . Metadata Produced By
NBS - National Bureau of Statistics - Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) - (Metadata Producer)

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/nbsapps/nada/survey.php?id=36
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 7:41pm On Jul 03, 2010
Hmm. . . 380+, and coming from the same source. .
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by dawnosakue: 10:59am On Apr 15, 2011
Edo State
Bini, Owan, Etsako, Agbede, Usen, Ososo, Esan, Okpilla, Otuo ,

Most villages in edo state have distinct languages. For example, among the Owan, erah is different from orah which is different from otuo. They're all neighbours.

Okpilla and Ososo speak an entirely different dialect. Agbede is bini mixed with igbo. Usen is bini mixed with yoruba. I'm sure edo state alone has about 30 linguistically different ethnic groups.

Even in Asaba, the anioma dialect is different from Anambra Igbo.

http://girlspowernigeria..com
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 8:24pm On Apr 15, 2011
dawnosakue:

Edo State
Bini, Owan, Etsako, Agbede, Usen, Ososo, Esan, Okpilla, Otuo ,

Most villages in edo state have distinct languages. For example, among the Owan, erah is different from orah which is different from otuo. They're all neighbours.

Okpilla and Ososo speak an entirely different dialect. Agbede is bini mixed with igbo. Usen is bini mixed with yoruba. I'm sure edo state alone has about 30 linguistically different ethnic groups.

Even in Asaba, the anioma dialect is different from Anambra Igbo.
http://girlspowernigeria..com
The bolded part does not make any sense at all. Asaba dialect and Anambra dialects are Igbo. In my LGA in Imo State, two dialects are spoken but one language. Imo state alone has more than fifteen dialects yet one Igbo language.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by dawnosakue: 8:35pm On Apr 15, 2011
Andre Uweh:

The bolded part does not make any sense at all. Asaba dialect and Anambra dialects are Igbo.  In my LGA in Imo State, two dialects are spoken but one language. Imo state alone has more than fifteen dialects yet one Igbo language.

the bold was a mistake its my first time posting on nairaland. However by reading people's post I know most of the members here are unneccessarily argumentative. If Igbo is one language and all the ethnicities in the area are one, why are the anioma struggling to be recognised as a seperate people? I'm not Igbo and I don't speak the language, but what I said about edo state holds true, a lot of villages have their own distinct languages.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 9:09pm On Apr 15, 2011
dawnosakue:

the bold was a mistake its my first time posting on nairaland. However by reading people's post I know most of the members here are unneccessarily argumentative. Its Igbo is one language and all the ethnicities in the area are one, why are the anioma struggling to be recognised as a seperate people? I'm not Igbo and I don't speak the language, but what I said about edo state holds true, a lot of villages have their own distinct languages.
Nnaa, be careful o, lest the nationalists come descending on you in full force. Considering this is your first time posting on Nairaland, I recommend you learn that quick quick, to avoid unnecessary argument.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 12:15am On Apr 16, 2011
dawnosakue:

the bold was a mistake its my first time posting on nairaland. However by reading people's post I know most of the members here are unneccessarily argumentative. If Igbo is one language and all the ethnicities in the area are one, why are the anioma struggling to be recognised as a seperate people? I'm not Igbo and I don't speak the language, but what I said about edo state holds true, a lot of villages have their own distinct languages.
dawnosakue:

Anioma people are not struggling in any form to be recognised as a separate people. Anioma is an assemblage of Igbo groups West of the Niger. There is no ethnic group called Anioma now or in the past. However, some families from some groups that constitute Anioma feel they are not Igbo. This is mostly seen around IkaIgbo areas and Ukwuani, not the entire Anioma.
Finally, there have never been anytime in Western Igbo history that the Obis and and their subjects have come to demand for a separate ethnicity. Anioma began as a movement for the creation of state for the Igbo in the old Western Nigeria. NEVER A MOVEMENT FOR AN ETHNIC IDENTITY. I hope this settles properly in your confused skull.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by PhysicsHD: 12:18am On Apr 16, 2011
^^^^

Why are you being so confrontational? She didn't even say anything that was particularly offensive.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 12:24am On Apr 16, 2011
PhysicsHD:

^^^^

Why are you being so confrontational? She didn't even say anything that was particularly offensive.
Boy don't start formenting troubles where non exist. She as well as a lot of people are confused about the Anioma issue and I played my part to clear the confusion. So how am I confrontational?. Carry time ooh!.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by PhysicsHD: 12:28am On Apr 16, 2011
^^^^

You're being confrontational again. grin

Stop being confrontational. Take a deep breath, reread this page of the thread and see how overly aggressive your approach is, for no reason.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by dawnosakue: 8:03am On Apr 16, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Boy don't start formenting troubles where non exist. She as well as a lot of people are confused about the Anioma issue and I played my part to clear the confusion. So how am I confrontational?. Carry time ooh!.

deep breath Andre. breathe in, out, I won't follow you into your den of aggression. so just calm down, count to hundred, read everything I wrote again, read your reply, do you feel better now?

And this is my last reply to any aggressive replies, keep that in mind in case you decide to reply. Have a beautiful day, I just love springtime, or don't you? wink
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 12:13pm On Apr 17, 2011
It is very easy to identify bigots.

1 Like

Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by efa231(m): 11:29am On Apr 23, 2011
I've followed all the posts on this thread and I must first ask what actually is the bone of contention; ethnic groups, dialects, tribes or languages? I am from Cross River, and Efik by tribe. In my state, we have about 74 dialects divided amongst many ethnic groups. For example, in central cross river we have boki and ejagham ethnic groups, but they speak different dialects (though they can understand each other). It is also commonly said that bayelsa is 'purely' an ijaw state; but ever since I've been living and working in port harcourt and its environs, I found out that d 'ijaw' is just a part. This is because there are other ethnic groups (a lot don't even speak ijaw, eg ogbia, where GEAJ is from), but they are all grouped as ijaw; amasoma, brass, yenagoa, ogbia, abua. In rivers, kalabari and okrika speak differently, but they are also regarded as ijaws (just as andoni, opobo and bonny/igbani).
My point is, if we group similar dialects as an ethnic group, we may have more than 250 ohhh. But if we want to count it dialect by dialects distinctively, then we may never finish. Below are some states in the niger delta and d dialects they speak
Cross River; efik, qua, ejagham, etung, ugep, biase, abi, idomi, igoli, bekwarra, obubra, odudu, yala
Akwa Ibom; ibibio, annang, ibeno, obolo, oruko, oron, eket,
Rivers; ikwerre, ekpeye, okrika, kalabari, opobo, obolo, abua, odual, ogba, finima,egbema, ndoni
bayelsa; izon, ogbia, yenagoa
delta; urhobo, isoko, izon, itsekiri, ukuani, ika
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 12:09pm On Apr 23, 2011
^^^
Your post does not make any difference from what has been thrashed out already if at all you thoughroughly went through the thread.
We all know that in Rivers state, dialects such as Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Egbema and Ndoni do exist but they are all come under one language-Igbo. It is pointless repeating what has been discussed already.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by obanqua(m): 2:57am On May 18, 2011
Tribe Name State In Nigeria

1   Abayon   Cross River   
2   Abua (Odual)   Rivers   
3   Achipa (Achipawa)   Kebbi   
4   Adim   Cross River   
5   Adun   Cross River   
6   Affade   Yobe   
7   Afizere   Plateau   
8   Afo   Plateau   
9   Agbo   Cross River   
10   Akaju-Ndem (Akajuk)   Cross River   
11   Akweya-Yachi   Benue   
12   Alago (Arago)   Piateau   
13   Amo   Plateau   
14   Anaguta   Plateau   
15   Anang   Akwa lbom   
16   Andoni   Akwa lbom, Rivers   
17   Angas   Bauchi, Jigawa, Plateau   
18   Ankwei   Plateau   
19   Anyima   Cross River   
20   Attakar (ataka)   Kaduna   
21   Auyoka (Auyokawa)   Jigawa   
22   Awori   Lagos, Ogun   
23   Ayu   Kaduna   
24   Babur   Adamawa, Bomo, Taraba, Yobe   
25   Bachama   Adamawa   
26   Bachere   Cross River   
27   Bada   Plateau   
28   Bade   Yobe   
29   Bahumono   Cross River   
30   Bakulung   Taraba   
31   Bali   Taraba   
32   Bambora (Bambarawa)   Bauchi   
33   Bambuko   Taraba   
34   Banda (Bandawa)   Taraba   
35   Banka (Bankalawa)   Bauchi   
36   Banso (Panso)   Adamawa   
37   Bara (Barawa)   Bauchi   
38   Barke   Bauchi   
39   Baruba (Barba)   Niger   
40   Bashiri (Bashirawa)   Plateau   
41   Bassa   Kaduna, Kogi, Niger, Plateau   
42   Batta   Adamawa   
43   Baushi   Niger   
44   Baya   Adamawa   
45   Bekwarra   Cross River   
46   Bele (Buli, Belewa)   Bauchi   
47   Betso (Bete)   Taraba   
48   Bette   Cross River   
49   Bilei   Adamawa   
50   Bille   Adamawa   
51   Bina (Binawa)   Kaduna   
52   Bini   Edo   
53   Birom   Plateau   
54   Bobua   Taraba   
55   Boki (Nki)   Cross River   
56   Bkkos   Plateau   
57   Boko (Bussawa, Bargawa)   Niger   
58   Bole (Bolewa)   Bauchi, Yobe   
59   Botlere   Adamawa   
60   Boma (Bomawa, Burmano)   Bauchi   
61   Bomboro   Bauchi   
62   Buduma   Borno, Niger   
63   Buji   Plateau   
64   Buli   Bauchi   
65   Bunu   Kogi   
66   Bura   Adamawa   
67   Burak   Bauchi   
68   Burma (Burmawa)   Plateau   
69   Buru   Yobe   
70   Buta (Butawa)   Bauchi   
71   Bwall   Plateau   
72   Bwatiye   Adamawa   
73   Bwazza   Adamawa   
74   Challa   Plateau   
75   Chama (Chamawa Fitilai)   Bauchi   
76   Chamba   Taraba   
77   Chamo   Bauchi   
78   Chibok (Chibbak)   Yobe   
79   Chinine   Borno   
80   Chip   Plateau   
81   Chokobo   Plateau   
82   Chukkol   Taraba   
83   Daba   Adamawa   
84   Dadiya   Bauchi   
85   Daka   Adamawa   
86   Dakarkari   Niger, Kebbi   
87   Danda (Dandawa)   Kebbi   
88   Dangsa   Taraba   
89   Daza (Dere, Derewa)   Bauchi   
90   Degema   Rivers   
91   Deno (Denawa)   Bauchi   
92   Dghwede   Bomo   
93   Diba   Taraba   
94   Doemak (Dumuk)   Plateau   
95   Ouguri   Bauchi   
96   Duka (Dukawa)   Kebbi   
97   Duma (Dumawa)   Bauchi   
98   Ebana (Ebani)   Rivers   
99   Ebirra (lgbirra)   Edo, Kogi, Ondo   
100   Ebu   Edo, Kogi   
101   Efik   Cross River   
102   Egbema   Rivers   
103   Egede (lgedde)   Benue   
104   Eggon   Plateau   
105   Egun (Gu)   Lagos,Ogun   
106   Ejagham   Cross River   
107   Ekajuk   Cross River   
108   Eket   Akwa Ibom   
109   Ekoi   Cross River   
110   Engenni (Ngene)   Rivers   
111   Epie   Rivers   
112   Esan (Ishan)   Edo   
113   Etche   Rivers   
114   Etolu (Etilo)   Benue   
115   Etsako   Edo   
116   Etung   Cross River   
117   Etuno   Edo   
118   Palli   Adamawa   
119   Pulani (Pulbe)   Bauchi, Borno, Jigawa , Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi , Niger, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe, etc.   
120   Fyam (Fyem)   Plateau   
121   Fyer(Fer)   Plateau   
122   Ga'anda   Adamawa   
123   Gade   Niger   
124   Galambi   Bauchi   
125   Gamergu-Mulgwa   Bomo   
126   Qanawuri   Plateau   
127   Gavako   Borno   
128   Gbedde   Kogi   
129   Gengle   Taraba   
130   Geji   Bauchi   
131   Gera (Gere, Gerawa)   Bauchi   
132   Geruma (Gerumawa)   Plateau   
133   Geruma (Gerumawa)   Bauchi   
134   Gingwak   Bauchi   
135   Gira   Adamawa   
136   Gizigz   Adamawa   
137   Goernai   Plateau   
138   Gokana (Kana)   Rivers   
139   Gombi   Adamawa   
140   Gornun (Gmun)   Taraba   
141   Gonia   Taraba   
142   Gubi (Gubawa)   Bauchi   
143   Gude   Adamawa   
144   Gudu   Adamawa   
145   Gure   Kaduna   
146   Gurmana   Niger   
147   Gururntum   Bauchi   
148   Gusu   Plateau   
149   Gwa (Gurawa)   Adamawa   
150   Gwamba   Adamawa   
151   Gwandara   Kaduna, Niger, Plateau   
152   Gwari (Gbari)   Kaduna, Niger, Plateau   
153   Gwom   Taraba   
154   Gwoza (Waha)   Bomo   
155   Gyem   Bauchi   
156   Hausa   Bauchi, Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna,Kano, Kastina, Kebbi, Niger,Taraba, Sokoto, etc   
157   Higi (Hig)   Borno, Adamawa   
158   Holma   Adamawa   
159   Hona   Adamawa   
160   Ibeno   Akwa lbom   
161   Ibibio   Akwa lbom   
162   Ichen   Adamawa   
163   Idoma   Benue, Taraba   
164   Igalla   Kogi   
165   lgbo   Abia, Anambra, Benue, Delta, Ebonyi,Enugu, Imo, Rivers   
166   ljumu   Kogi   
167   Ikorn   Cross River   
168   Irigwe   Plateau   
169   Isoko   Delta   
170   lsekiri (Itsekiri)   Delta   
171   lyala (lyalla)   Cross River   
172   lzondjo)   Bayelsa, Delta, Ondo, Rivers   
173   Jaba   Kaduna   
174   Jahuna (Jahunawa)   Taraba   
175   Jaku   Bauchi   
176   Jara (Jaar Jarawa Jarawa-Dutse)   Bauchi   
177   Jere (Jare, Jera, Jera, Jerawa)   Bauchi, Plateau   
178   Jero   Taraba   
179   Jibu   Adamawa   
180   Jidda-Abu   Plateau   
181   Jimbin (Jimbinawa)   Bauchi   
182   Jirai   Adamawa   
183   Jonjo (Jenjo)   Taraba   
184   Jukun   Bauchi, Benue,Taraba, Plateau   
185   Kaba(Kabawa)   Taraba   
186   Kadara   Taraba   
187   Kafanchan   Kaduna   
188   Kagoro   Kaduna   
189   Kaje (Kache)   Kaduna   
190   Kajuru (Kajurawa)   Kaduna   
191   Kaka   Adamawa   
192   Kamaku (Karnukawa)   Kaduna, Kebbi, Niger   
193   Kambari   Kebbi, Niger   
194   Kambu   Adamawa   
195   Kamo   Bauchi   
196   Kanakuru (Dera)   Adamawa, Borno   
197   Kanembu   Bomo   
198   Kanikon   Kaduna   
199   Kantana   Plateau   
200   Kanufi   Kaduna, Adamawa, Bomo, Kano,Niger, Jigawa, Plateau, Taraba, Yobe   
201   Karekare (Karaikarai)   Bauchi, Yobe   
202   Karimjo   Taraba   
203   Kariya   Bauchi   
204   Katab (Kataf)   Kaduna   
205   Kenern (Koenoem)   Plateau   
206   Kenton   Taraba   
207   Kiballo (Kiwollo)   Kaduna   
208   Kilba   Adamawa   
209   Kirfi (Kirfawa)   Bauchi   
210   Koma   Taraba   
211   Kona   Taraba   
212   Koro (Kwaro)   Kaduna, Niger   
213   Kubi (Kubawa)   Bauchi   
214   Kudachano (Kudawa)   Bauchi   
215   Kugama   Taraba   
216   Kulere (Kaler)   Plateau   
217   Kunini   Taraba   
218   Kurama   Jigawa, Kaduna, Niger, Plateau   
219   Kurdul   Adamawa   
220   Kushi   Bauchi   
221   Kuteb   Taraba   
222   Kutin   Taraba   
223   Kwalla   Plateau   
224   Kwami (Kwom)   Bauchi   
225   Kwanchi   Taraba   
226   Kwanka (Kwankwa)   Bauchi, Plateau   
227   Kwaro   Plateau   
228   Kwato   Plateau   
229   Kyenga (Kengawa)   Sokoto   
230   Laaru (Larawa)   Niger   
231   Lakka   Adamawa   
232   Lala   Adamawa   
233   Lama   Taraba   
234   Lamja   Taraba   
235   Lau   Taraba   
236   Ubbo   Adamawa   
237   Limono   Bauchi, Plateau   
238   Lopa (Lupa, Lopawa)   Niger   
239   Longuda (Lunguda)   Adamawa, Bauchi   
240   Mabo   Plateau   
241   Mada   Kaduna, Plateau   
242   Mama   Plateau   
243   Mambilla   Adamawa   
244   Manchok   Kaduna   
245   Mandara (Wandala)   Bomo   
246   Manga (Mangawa)   Yobe   
247   Margi (Marghi)   Adamawa, Bomo   
248   Matakarn   Adamawa   
249   Mbembe   Cross River, Enugu   
250   Mbol   Adamawa   
251   Mbube   Cross River   
252   Mbula   Adamawa   
253   Mbum   Taraba   
254   Memyang (Meryan)   Plateau   
255   Miango   Plateau   
256   Miligili (Migili)   Plateau   
257   Miya (Miyawa)   Bauchi   
258   Mobber   Bomo   
259   Montol   Plateau   
260   Moruwa (Moro'a, Morwa)   Kaduna   
261   Muchaila   Adamawa   
262   Mumuye   Taraba   
263   Mundang   Adamawa   
264   Munga (Mupang)   Plateau   
265   Mushere   Plateau   
266   Mwahavul (Mwaghavul)   Plateau   
267   Ndoro   Taraba   
268   Ngamo   Bauchi, Yobe   
269   Ngizim   Yobe   
270   Ngweshe (Ndhang.Ngoshe-Ndhang)   Adamawa, Borno   
271   Ningi (Ningawa)   Bauchi   
272   Ninzam (Ninzo)   Kaduna, Plateau   
273   Njayi   Adamawa   
274   Nkim   Cross River   
275   Nkum   Cross River   
276   Nokere (Nakere)   Plateau   
277   Nunku   Kaduna, Plateau   
278   Nupe   Niger   
279   Nyandang   Taraba   
280   Ododop   Cross River   
281   Ogori   Kwara   
282   Okobo (Okkobor)   Akwa lbom   
283   Okpamheri   Edo   
284   Olulumo   Cross River   
285   Oron   Akwa lbom   
286   Owan   Edo   
287   Owe   Kwara   
288   Oworo   Kwara   
289   Pa'a (Pa'awa Afawa)   Bauchi   
290   Pai   Plateau   
291   Panyam   Taraba   
292   Pero   Bauchi   
293   Pire   Adamawa   
294   Pkanzom   Taraba   
295   Poll   Taraba   
296   Polchi Habe   Bauchi   
297   Pongo (Pongu)   Niger   
298   Potopo   Taraba   
299   Pyapun (Piapung)   Plateau   
300   Qua   Cross River   
301   Rebina (Rebinawa)   Bauchi   
302   Reshe   Kebbi, Niger   
303   Rindire (Rendre)   Plateau   
304   Rishuwa   Kaduna   
305   Ron   Piateau   
306   Rubu   Niger   
307   Rukuba   Plateau   
308   Rumada   Kaduna   
309   Rumaya   Kaduna   
310   Sakbe   Taraba   
311   Sanga   Bauchi   
312   Sate   Taraba   
313   Saya (Sayawa Za'ar)   Bauchi   
314   Segidi (Sigidawa)   Bauchi   
315   Shanga (Shangawa)   Sokoto   
316   Shangawa (Shangau)   Plateau   
317   Shan-Shan   Plateau   
318   Shira (Shirawa)   Kano   
319   Shomo   Taraba   
320   Shuwa   Adamawa, Borno   
321   Sikdi   Plateau   
322   Siri (Sirawa)   Bauchi   
323   Srubu (Surubu)   Kaduna   
324   Sukur   Adamawa   
325   Sura   Plateau   
326   Tangale   Bauchi   
327   Tarok   Plateau, Taraba   
328   Teme   Adamawa   
329   Tera (Terawa)   Bauchi, Bomo   
330   Teshena (Teshenawa)   Kano   
331   Tigon   Adamawa   
332   Tikar   Taraba   
333   Tiv   Benue, Plateau, Taraba   
334   Tula   Bauchi   
335   Tur   Adamawa   
336   Ufia   Benue   
337   Ukelle   Cross River   
338   Ukwani (Kwale)   Delta   
339   Uncinda   Kaduna, Kebbi, Niger, Sokoto   
340   Uneme (Ineme)   Edo   
341   Ura (Ula)   Niger   
342   Urhobo   Delta   
343   Utonkong   Benue   
344   Uyanga   Cross River   
345   Vemgo   Adamawa   
346   Verre   Adamawa   
347   Vommi   Taraba   
348   Wagga   Adamawa   
349   Waja   Bauchi   
350   Waka   Taraba   
351   Warja (Warja)   Jigawa   
352   Warji   Bauchi   
353   Wula   Adamawa   
354   Wurbo   Adamawa   
355   Wurkun   Taraba   
356   Yache   Cross River   
357   Yagba   Kwara   
358   Yakurr (Yako)   Cross River   
359   Yalla   Benue   
360   Yandang   Taraba   
361   Yergan (Yergum)   Plateau   
362   Yoruba   Kwara, Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Kogi   
363   Yott   Taraba   
364   Yumu   Niger   
365   Yungur   Adamawa   
366   Yuom   Plateau   
367   Zabara   Niger   
368   Zaranda   Bauchi   
369   Zarma (Zarmawa)   Kebbi   
370   Zayam (Zeam)   Bauchi   
371   Zul (Zulawa)   Bauchi   

from http://www.onlinenigeria.com/tribes/default2.asp
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by emofine(f): 1:05pm On May 18, 2011
how intriguing it would be to meet all these people from those ethnic groups that are hardly mentioned, ah the things I could be learning from these people. Nigeria is rich indeed.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Ajibel(m): 11:04am On Aug 09, 2011
what a list cool cool cool, i would make it an assignment to read about 'em all, Nigeria truly rich indeed,
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by oludashmi(f): 12:38pm On Aug 12, 2011
All the list is nothing but rubbish!
We can never have 250 ethnic tribes in Nigeria. . . .the list above shows that researchers are busy counting villages and streets as ethnic groups. Where a dialect says "J" and the other say "G" but mean the same thing, you quickly name them different ethnic groups and create enmity between them.

If we have 250 or more languages/ethnic groups, then we should be talking of over 2 thousand dialects cos a single language can produce more than 20 dialects. If you look at some of the "so called ethnics" listed above, they cant boast of 20 thousand population under the name Nigeria which is almost 100 years. Its not possible! angry

If you want to break Yoruba and Ibo the way you did to others above, then we should be talking of something 420 or more tribes in Nigeria as against the list of 371 above. Because Yoruba alone will produce 30 or more dialects.

I believe we dont have up to 50 tribes sef.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 4:58pm On Aug 12, 2011
Tribe/Ethnicity & Language are not the same thing. Tribe/Ethnicity corresponds more with a general socio-cultural identity of which language is just a part of it. People here seem to want to define language groups/families as tribes/ethnicities, and that's just not right. Population is also a non-issue. A people can number just 500 and still be an ethnic/tribal group. Just saying.

1 Like

Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 7:56am On Jun 25, 2012
ChinenyeN: Tribe/Ethnicity & Language are not the same thing. Tribe/Ethnicity corresponds more with a general socio-cultural identity of which language is just a part of it. People here seem to want to define language groups/families as tribes/ethnicities, and that's just not right. Population is also a non-issue. A people can number just 500 and still be an ethnic/tribal group. Just saying.

You seem to be one of the few that gets it. Nigeria is comprised of 250+ ethnic groups not TRIBES. Tribes denotes something far different from an ethnic group.

That said, Fulfulde is also spoken in Gombe and Jigawa, so some of the stuff here in inaccurate.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 12, 2012
In ebonyi we have.Okpoto,izzaa,ohofia,izzi,ikwo.Etc
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Biggyd2: 8:46pm On Jul 12, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.