Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy (2812 Views)

Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. / Why Mobile Apps Are Better Than Mobile Websites / How Taxi Booking Apps Are Enhancing The Profitability Of Taxi Businesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by FincoApps(m): 12:15am On Nov 21, 2019
This is probably one of my longest posts but I believe it should go a bit far in improving the quality of Nigerian Made Apps.

I find it necessary to first of all, acknowledge that this is an unusual article in that this topic is rarely up for discussion in the Nigerian Techsphere. My main purpose of writing this article is to highlight the reasons “Made in Nigeria” apps always look and feel…“Nigerian”! Although it may seem offensive, this is something that should ultimately help Software Developers in Nigeria, create better Apps and shake off the stigma of bad quality.

WHAT IS “THE NIGERIAN FACTOR”
What exactly do I mean by “The Nigerian Factor”? The Nigerian factor is that obvious or not too obvious bug or imperfection present in most Apps made in Nigeria. These kinds of bugs immediately make a user know the App is made in Nigeria. The imperfections can be of different types or categories. Most obvious ones are:

Minor User Interface Bugs: These are bugs like weirdly positioned logos or improperly centered views etc… These are minor but obvious imperfections. Unfortunately, they are more common in Nigerian Apps.

Bad User experience: These are not actually bugs. They are just UI behaviors that are either not expected or odd.

Grammatical errors: Grammatical errors, is just what it says – spelling mistakes, improper punctuation (in a Corporate App).

These are minor, but their presence, unfortunately, gives away the nationality of the App.
Plain old bugs: These are the normal bugs in almost all apps but much more obvious in Nigerian Apps.

EXAMPLES OF APPS WITH THE NIGERIAN FACTOR
Apparently, just listing a couple of bug categories is not enough to fully grasp the concept of the Nigerian factor, so in this part, I will list some popular Nigerian Apps and point out the Nigerian factors I could find in them.

Please continue reading on the blog: https://fincoapps.com/why-nigerian-apps-are-always-buggy/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by Ajibel(m): 1:57pm On Nov 21, 2019
FincoApps:
My main purpose of writing this article is to highlight the reasons “Made in Nigeria” apps always look and feel…“Nigerian”!

Interesting! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the same way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by ovoSoft: 6:54pm On Nov 21, 2019
Everyone wanna be quick in criticizing Nigerian programmers or anything made in Nigeria (especially this forum). There is something always wrong with them(Nigerian programmers), but great men grow when positive criticisms are given and this I must say is a well written article on the "Nigerian Factor". I picked up a few things!!

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 24, 2019
you can't use one or two apps built by a Nigerian that has bug and compare it to thousands of apps in google play store.

the first lunch of an app mustn't be perfect, that's why there are periodic updates
Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by SilverG33k(m): 6:55pm On Nov 25, 2019
Nigerians are moving mad, everyday, the Android developers on twitter will humble you I swear.

You see this nairaland, its filled up with more of upcoming devs than professional devs, example is the guy that posted a link above.

Check our Cowrywise, mehn those guys are killing it, there are lots of nigerian apps out there that are just awesome.

Also, I've seen apps built by people from US, India, Brazil, and all these top countries, I've seen horrible horrible apps and the funny thing is... The downloads will be massive, I've seen way horrible apps with ugly UI and still have 10k downloads.

The Nigerian Android community is still new sef, give it time brother, you'll be amazed by what we can do...

Infact, check out the UI of this app under development for a client, the dark mode is even madder

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by ehinorlive: 8:59pm On Nov 25, 2019
better food na money kill am, what do you expect when Nigeria client dont pay well. their budget cannot even buy a theme from themeforest and they will demand one person to do ui, backend, ux, SPA...

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by RuggedSniper: 1:42pm On Nov 17, 2020
FincoApps:
This is probably one of my longest posts but I believe it should go a bit far in improving the quality of Nigerian Made Apps.

I find it necessary to first of all, acknowledge that this is an unusual article in that this topic is rarely up for discussion in the Nigerian Techsphere. My main purpose of writing this article is to highlight the reasons “Made in Nigeria” apps always look and feel…“Nigerian”! Although it may seem offensive, this is something that should ultimately help Software Developers in Nigeria, create better Apps and shake off the stigma of bad quality.

What exactly do I mean by “The Nigerian Factor”? The Nigerian factor is that obvious or not too obvious bug or imperfection present in most Apps made in Nigeria. These kinds of bugs immediately make a user know the App is made in Nigeria. The imperfections can be of different types or categories. Most obvious ones are:

Minor User Interface Bugs: These are bugs like weirdly positioned logos or improperly centered views etc… These are minor but obvious imperfections. Unfortunately, they are more common in Nigerian Apps.

Bad User experience: These are not actually bugs. They are just UI behaviors that are either not expected or odd.

Grammatical errors: Grammatical errors, is just what it says – spelling mistakes, improper punctuation (in a Corporate App).

These are minor, but their presence, unfortunately, gives away the nationality of the App.
Plain old bugs: These are the normal bugs in almost all apps but much more obvious in Nigerian Apps.

Apparently, just listing a couple of bug categories is not enough to fully grasp the concept of the Nigerian factor, so in this part, I will list some popular Nigerian Apps and point out the Nigerian factors I could find in them.

Please continue reading on the blog: https://fincoapps.com/why-nigerian-apps-are-always-buggy/
Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by Karleb(m): 1:51pm On Nov 17, 2020
Paystack, flutterwave, abeg, piggyvest are not buggy. They were created by Nigerians.

How would the app not be buggy when you want to rival YouTube on a budget of #50k.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by 1saed: 2:50pm On Nov 17, 2020
Your generalisations are way too broad.

Check what we did here

http://thriftplus.pythonanywhere.com

Does this look Nigerian

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by cixak95211: 4:12pm On Nov 17, 2020
1saed:
Your generalisations are way too broad.

Check what we did here

http://thriftplus.pythonanywhere.com

Does this look Nigerian

Looks very 'Nigerian"
And you just had to confirm his suspicion . . .

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by FincoApps(m): 4:15pm On Nov 17, 2020
Karleb:
Paystack, flutterwave, abeg, piggyvest are not buggy. They were created by Nigerians.

How would the app not be buggy when you want to rival YouTube on a budget of #50k.

Paystack and Flutterwave are companies. Talk about their products.

Paystack is Buggy when it comes to implementing some of their APIs
Flutterwave's Bater is Buggy AF

I have not used Piggyvest but I am sure it has at least 1 bug.

Please don't just blindly defend like that.
Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by FincoApps(m): 4:19pm On Nov 17, 2020
wamiikechukwu:
you can't use one or two apps built by a Nigerian that has bug and compare it to thousands of apps in google play store.

the first lunch of an app mustn't be perfect, that's why there are periodic updates

Please feel free to bring a 100 Nigerian Apps and I would point out their bugs.
Don't just blindly defend
Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by cixak95211: 4:33pm On Nov 17, 2020
WTF! Even gmail has bugs . . office365 . . .

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by Karleb(m): 5:23pm On Nov 17, 2020
FincoApps:

Oga, what exactly are you driving at? That Nigerians are not competent?

Even popular products that were not developed by Nigerians have bugs. What should we blame then? The non-nigerian factor?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by nexttag: 1:12am On Nov 18, 2020
Op is a frustrated Dev with no work that restore to bashing other people works to feel better

I have seen clean and professional and less buggy app by nigeria programmers

Don't try to build next Facebook with 20k coz Nigeria programmers will collect it and deliver 20k worth of Facebook to you

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by afuye(m): 7:48am On Nov 18, 2020
FincoApps:

The OP is talking from his own experience as a Nigeria developer sad

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by Olalekank(m): 1:17pm On Nov 18, 2020
FincoApps:

Like someone asked. Are you implying Nigerian devs are incompetent?

"I have not used Piggyvest but I am sure it has at least 1 bug."
Apps are bound to have bugs. It is inevitable

Searching for a person's status on WhatsApp for iOS is currently broken (as at the time of this post) yet they are serving more than a billion users.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by vheckthor1: 10:47pm On Nov 21, 2020
the OP is just a noise maker, let him show us his app and we will point out a hundred bugs in it.
Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by Xperienx(m): 12:51am On Nov 22, 2020
A lot of us are already in the group but if you are not, you join the WhatsApp group chat for senior software engineers in Nigeria.

https://chat whatsapp com/DRg75NfBai3HmwmGlscAcx

Replace white spaces with dots
Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by Dammytrager(m): 2:23am On Nov 22, 2020
There is no app built that will not be buggy even the ones in Google and the top tier companies, that is why there are QAs and processes to things.

If there is a bug in an app in production, it is not the developer’s fault, rather the QA is meant to detect bugs and different test and edge cases.

Also a buggy app is not peculiar to Nigeria, it is a general to any app built any where in the world.
OP’a generalization of buggy apps to Nigeria shows he is inexperienced and lacks knowledge about the full processes involved in developing an app.
Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by FincoApps(m): 8:09pm On Nov 26, 2020
Olalekank:

Like someone asked. Are you implying Nigerian devs are incompetent?

"I have not used Piggyvest but I am sure it has at least 1 bug."
Apps are bound to have bugs. It is inevitable

Searching for a person's status on WhatsApp for iOS is currently broken (as at the time of this post) yet they are serving more than a billion users.

You obviously didn't read the post. It's a long post so I understand.

In the post, one of the reasons I mentioned is "Companies/Clients setting impossible deadlines".

A lot of Nigerian Companies that have the best developers in Nigeria still come up with Crappy Apps. Example Interswitch. Their Developers are high class. But their Apps are unbelievable.

About your WhatsApp iOS example, it just falls under the Mentality I talked about. The fact that they didn't do that right, does it justify you not doing it right?

Please read the post and see that I am not just attacking developers at all. But instead Clients and Companies also. All these contribute to our buggy Apps
Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by FincoApps(m): 8:10pm On Nov 26, 2020
Karleb:

Oga, what exactly are you driving at? That Nigerians are not competent?

Even popular products that were not developed by Nigerians have bugs. What should we blame then? The non-nigerian factor?

You obviously didn't read the Post. Read it and don't blindly mention me. It's long so you can read my response to one other guy here
Re: Why Nigerian Apps Are ALWAYS Buggy by FincoApps(m): 8:13pm On Nov 26, 2020
Wow, After reading the responses here after so many months....
I agree that the truth is really bitter grin.

Argue with yourselves. I'll surely respond when I read it in the future

(1) (Reply)

Interesting Things About The Darkweb / Creating Interactive Cd Using Flash / Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.