Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? (1304 Views)

How To Live With a contentious woman / Photo: Would You Let Your Pregnant Wife Go Clubbing Dressed Like This? / Will You Let Someone Sleep With Your Spouse For N10m? - (See Responses) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? by Ultrame(m): 10:40am On May 24, 2007
Hello folks, here's a scenario that may play out in our lives at one point or the other. if it were YOU, what would you have done? enjoy!

A man lives comfortably with his family (wife and three kids of ages 12, 9 and 5) in a big city.

He travels home to the village one weekend to visit his aging parents (dad: 72, mum: 68) and was unsatisfied with the standard of living of his parents. they were living in a state of utter neglect. it was so bad the only reason he didn't break down crying was because his kids were there! he takes one look at the people that has given him so much, the people that made him what he is and he feels a pang of guilt. he feels he hasn't done enough for them.

As the only son, he knows he has to make a decision on how to better the condition of his parents very ASAP. he decides to take them to live with him.

But here is the snag: at that age, his parents will require special attention. he is a hard worker (the 6 to 7 type) and so is his wife. so,

Besides, right now he couldn't afford to rent out a place for his parents in the city. Not that his parents would agree to follow him anywhere else apart from his home anyway. (they've not yet turned into vegetables!)

Another issue is the privacy at home. he feel his wife might not be too happy with both in-laws under her roof as his attention will now be divided between her, the kids and his folks. (sharing him with the kids was bad enough grin)

The truth is: he knows his parents needs extra care from what they are currently getting. should he take them into his house and see if it would work? or, ?

if it were you, what would you have done. Roll away guys!
Re: Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? by iyken(m): 1:23pm On May 24, 2007
Ultrame:

A man lives comfortably with his family (wife and three kids of ages 12, 9 and 5) in a big city.

He travels home to the village one weekend to visit his aging parents (dad: 72, mum: 68)

(they've not yet turned into vegetables!)

The truth is: he knows his parents needs extra care from what they are currently getting. should he take them into his house and see if it would work?

Where have you been 5-12 yrs ago going by the age of your kids.Its apparent you were [b]incommunicado.[/b]What level of squalor were you refering to,since they are not yet vegetables(still relatively fit) - feeding,housing or mobility?
Based on the above, I will not subscribe to allowing them live with me as this will be tantamount to charging up the atmosphere at home with time(proven).
Rather,Identify the things you refered to as squalor and rectify.
Visit them more often,
Engage the services of a visiting-nurse for as deemed-fit.
Since you are the only son, it means you have sisters probably married(?),so call a familly meeting and impress on all your observations and way forward.

It is an honour to Age THEY SAY.
Re: Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? by McDoe(m): 10:57am On May 25, 2007
Do all u could to make them comfortable. But dont let pity and emotions becloud your sense of reasoning. This is to say that bringing the two under the same roof with you and your wife is like calling for war in your home. Better avoid this!
Re: Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:35am On Jun 09, 2007
@McDoe

i quite agree with you.
Re: Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? by osereka(m): 11:22am On Jun 09, 2007
ME TOO
Re: Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? by mamaput(f): 8:31pm On Jun 09, 2007
They have lived their lif now its time for you to live yours.
I will not want to do that to my children.
Your poeople will be lonely in the city. Home is home and a home were they are visitors is not home.
If you feel that bad make up their house for them and send them more money
Re: Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? by titilayomi(f): 5:47pm On Jun 11, 2007
I assume you and your old folks are living in naija, so why not get 1 or 2 live in-domestic workers for them, renovate their apartment, visit them more often, or get thm a mobile phone, so you can call thm very often(evryday if u like), inform ur siblings of the issue and wot u intend to do and encourage thm to visit too. Draw a visiting timetable if its necessary for u and ur siblings, so u dont hv to do all the travelling. But please and please, don't make the mistake of bringing thm over to live with you, none of the parties involved would mean any harm, but it just doesn't work out. 2 is company, 3 is crowd. But at the same time, be thr 4 ur folks, thy made u wot u r today.

(1) (Reply)

Travelling To Nigeria And Not Going To Ur Husbands Village / Lagos Murder: 'I Hacked My Husband To Death' / Who Did She Offend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.