Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,353 members, 7,808,239 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

" L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. (1054 Views)

M.A.R.Y... A Supernatural Story / Why I Love The Color Black *a Short Story Of Sexual Abuse* / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

" L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by purples25(f): 10:31pm On Nov 21, 2019
So, you wake up in the morning. You think because you got up by 7:20 in the morning and rolled onto the couch in the parlour sleepily, somehow you'll become the Wolf of Wall Street or something. Yes, because waking up by 7:20 is a life changing phenomenon which triggers the butterfly effect. Really. It's also what Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates and all the other billionaires out there used to do, which made them rich and famous. I bet they gave TED talks on it too.

You try to slide off the couch and what next? Guess going to the bathroom and washing your face will help all that sleepiness get out. Also, you'll get that fresh feeling after brushing your teeth. In front of the bathroom mirror you squint at me . " Not bad " you say. Well, I wish I could sigh, shrug and tell you that you could have done better. But then you're done with your morning routine and once we leave the mirror , I'm your shadow again.

What's next, charming fellow? Oh, I guess the next thing is to take ............ a phone. I did think it was the bath next, even though I've known you for twenty seven years and I know that even if Thanos came crashing through your window, you would not take your bath in the morning. Nope , baths in the morning are for losers. You're a winner who feels good to always leave that part till midday.

Fumbling for breakfast while still on your phone. Today is Tuesday and it's cereal on the menu. Very, very lucky. You know. ' Instant Breakfast ' . Belinda calls. " I'm working on the book, you know what it is to be a writer, blah blah blah...."

What? You don't know what it is to be a 'writer'. You do know what it is to laze around the house in grand style though. Well, what do I know? Last month there were a couple of days when you got up and did a bit of writing. For two hours. For two days. Here we are at the end of this month. You ARE a great writer, you know ( you're not )

I'm really fed up with this routine. You're going to lay down on the couch to eat and then drop your bowl next to you and then browse a whole lot of useless things, then sleep till two in the afternoon. You'll get up and have a long argument with your mom, who will want to eat some ' rare delicacy ' which , you can't really refuse to cook cuz you don't pay the bills and you really don't do anything else. By four o clock you'll take a bath, and then the most active part of the day : a walk round the neighbourhood.

But I'm going to do something. I'm going to make you get up.

You glance at the corner when you see a shadowy figure creeping out from behind one of the chairs. I steadily, slowly emerge, a dark figure from your nightmares. Well, not really. Just your shadow and when you look in the mirror, your reflection. Even if scaring you is what it takes, I just want you to get out of this lax mode.

Seeing my dark and featureless form makes you jump up and scream, and your mom runs into the parlor.

" Tunde ! What is it ? " She exclaims . " Why did you shout like that ?! " On seeing her, that blasted enemy, your ego steps in and saves the situation. You relax back onto the couch and try to compose yourself. " Its nothing mom. Thought I saw something. "

As she hisses and heads back to her room, I shake my head sadly at you. I'm back behind you, a shadows place is always there anyway. You're no prisoner of Azkaban, just a prisoner of laziness.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by Lari03r(m): 8:34pm On Nov 27, 2019
shocked
Awesome. Can you write a collection of short stories? Do you have a collection on ground?

You might need to work on your punctuations.

Start publishing as an e-book and you will earn respect and more.

1 Like

Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by cooluzi: 9:07am On Apr 25, 2020
purples25:
So, you wake up in the morning. You think because you got up by 7:20 in the morning and rolled onto the couch in the parlour sleepily, somehow you'll become the Wolf of Wall Street or something. Yes, because waking up by 7:20 is a life changing phenomenon which triggers the butterfly effect. Really. It's also what Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates and all the other billionaires out there used to do, which made them rich and famous. I bet they gave TED talks on it too.

You try to slide off the couch and what next? Guess going to the bathroom and washing your face will help all that sleepiness get out. Also, you'll get that fresh feeling after brushing your teeth. In front of the bathroom mirror you squint at me . " Not bad " you say. Well, I wish I could sigh, shrug and tell you that you could have done better. But then you're done with your morning routine and once we leave the mirror , I'm your shadow again.

What's next, charming fellow? Oh, I guess the next thing is to take ............ a phone. I did think it was the bath next, even though I've known you for twenty seven years and I know that even if Thanos came crashing through your window, you would not take your bath in the morning. Nope , baths in the morning are for losers. You're a winner who feels good to always leave that part till midday.

Fumbling for breakfast while still on your phone. Today is Tuesday and it's cereal on the menu. Very, very lucky. You know. ' Instant Breakfast ' . Belinda calls. " I'm working on the book, you know what it is to be a writer, blah blah blah...."

What? You don't know what it is to be a 'writer'. You do know what it is to laze around the house in grand style though. Well, what do I know? Last month there were a couple of days when you got up and did a bit of writing. For two hours. For two days. Here we are at the end of this month. You ARE a great writer, you know ( you're not )

I'm really fed up with this routine. You're going to lay down on the couch to eat and then drop your bowl next to you and then browse a whole lot of useless things, then sleep till two in the afternoon. You'll get up and have a long argument with your mom, who will want to eat some ' rare delicacy ' which , you can't really refuse to cook cuz you don't pay the bills and you really don't do anything else. By four o clock you'll take a bath, and then the most active part of the day : a walk round the neighbourhood.

But I'm going to do something. I'm going to make you get up.

You glance at the corner when you see a shadowy figure creeping out from behind one of the chairs. I steadily, slowly emerge, a dark figure from your nightmares. Well, not really. Just your shadow and when you look in the mirror, your reflection. Even if scaring you is what it takes, I just want you to get out of this lax mode.

Seeing my dark and featureless form makes you jump up and scream, and your mom runs into the parlor.

" Tunde ! What is it ? " She exclaims . " Why did you shout like that ?! " On seeing her, that blasted enemy, your ego steps in and saves the situation. You relax back onto the couch and try to compose yourself. " Its nothing mom. Thought I saw something. "

As she hisses and heads back to her room, I shake my head sadly at you. I'm back behind you, a shadows place is always there anyway. You're no prisoner of Azkaban, just a prisoner of laziness.
nice,can you write privately for me during diz lockdown
Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by purples25(f): 9:24am On Apr 25, 2020
cooluzi:
nice,can you write privately for me during diz lockdown

Sure, i write for pay.
Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by cooluzi: 9:41am On Apr 25, 2020
purples25:

Sure, i write for pay.
lol you too like money chai
Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by purples25(f): 9:49am On Apr 25, 2020
cooluzi:
lol you too like money chai

Yes o, issa business.
Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by cooluzi: 9:50am On Apr 25, 2020
purples25:

Yes o, issa business.
alright,how are u
Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by purples25(f): 10:01am On Apr 25, 2020
cooluzi:
alright,how are u

Good, and you?
Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by cooluzi: 10:03am On Apr 25, 2020
purples25:

Good, and you?
Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by wackpoet(m): 12:13am On May 02, 2020
purples25:
So, you wake up in the morning.
I enjoyed reading this. It felt like you were talking about meeee. embarassed
Amazing work.

1 Like

Re: " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. by purples25(f): 12:26am On May 02, 2020
wackpoet:

I enjoyed reading this. It felt like you were talking about meeee. embarassed
Amazing work.

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Must Read: Naija Love Part 1 (one) / Famous Professor Quotes Orikinla In Her Bestselling Book "Words Onscreen" / Just A Moment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.