Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,111 members, 7,807,354 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty (23730 Views)

Governors Reject Death Penalty For Hate Speech / El-Rufai Orders Arrest Of Segun Onibiyo Over 'Hate Speech' - Dogara Rabboni / Stop Hate Speech, Peter Obi Tells El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by chernest2002: 10:00am On Nov 22, 2019
Nigeria is in a crossroads, only God can save.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by jcross19: 10:01am On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:
Though I am not in supports of the death penalty for hate speech.

But this UN, UK should go and fix their home problems first before poke nosing into ours
APC supporters have sold their soul and reason through there anus. if you want to know check their comments you will know they are suffering from Buharilogangariasis.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by BigBashiru: 10:29am On Nov 22, 2019
Digitiminimi:
The United Nations and the United Kingdom have opposed the death penalty clause in the proposed National Commission for the Prohibition of Hate Speech Bill introduced by Senate Deputy Chief Whip, Sabi Abdullahi.

The UN described the death penalty as barbaric, noting that its inclusion in the bill was unacceptable.

According to the bill, any person who violates the law shall be liable to life imprisonment and where the act causes any loss of life, the person shall be punished with death by hanging.

But the spokesman, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, Mr Olusola Macaulay, in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Thursday, said the global body would not support the bill, noting that a UNESCO advocacy group, Media and Information Literacy Coalition, would soon meet with the National Assembly over the proposed legislation.

He said, “We are trying to pay an advocacy visit to the government and do some lobbying. There is a coalition working already, it was formed with the support of UNESCO.

“They are working to meet with the National Assembly to express their mind and possibly advise the government to have a different narrative to the issue of hate speech and fake news.”

Macaulay also said the UN would lobby the Federal Government on the legislation, adding that what was needed is public enlightenment and education about hate speech and not a law stipulating the death penalty for violators.

He said, “I’m not sure what the government needs now is a bill or an idea to shut down people or prevent people from being able to express themselves or express their freedom of thought or information. What I think the government should do more is to enlighten the people.”
The UN agency said most Nigerians were ignorant of issues relating to media and information literacy, noting that a harsh law was not the solution to the challenge.

The global body noted, “Every human being has the right to life and you cannot cut off people’s lives just because someone has expressed his opinion. Nobody is saying hate speech is good.

Hate speech and fake news have been there from time immemorial and it is barbaric to say now that we want to hang people because they expressed their feelings or what they had in mind. So, censoring people or limiting people from participating in politics might not be the correct thing. As I said, the best thing to do is to educate the people.”

Macaulay queried the government for not holding politicians engaging in hate speech to account, noting that many of them had said things that could destabilise the country without being held liable.

The British Government said it supports the right of individuals to express opinions and peacefully challenge authority as an essential part of a free and open society, noting that it was following discussions around the proposed legislation closely.

Commenting on the bill in an emailed response to inquiries by The PUNCH on Wednesday, Her Majesty’s Government said while it takes a strong stand against hate speech which could incite violence and damage relationships within the society, it supports “the right of individuals to express opinions and peacefully challenge authority as an essential part of a free and open society.”

The statement signed by the Senior Press and Public Affairs Officer, British High Commission, Abuja, Chris Ogunmodede, said, “The UK government is following discussions around the proposed Prohibition of Hate Speech bill closely.”

It added, “We take a strong stand against hate speech, which can incite violence and damage community relationships within society. We also strongly support the right of individuals to express opinions and peacefully challenge authority as an essential part of a free and open society.

“The UK strongly opposes the inclusion of the death penalty in any piece of legislation, as a matter of principle.”

https://punchng.com/un-uk-reject-death-penalty-for-hate-speech/

The UN describes as barbaric. Aren't blacks barbaric?? It's their culture!
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by BigBashiru: 10:31am On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:

But this UN, UK should go and fix their home problems first before poke nosing into ours

They should poke their nose and even colonize Nigerians. Their countries are miles ahead of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Chicastle: 10:33am On Nov 22, 2019
Just imagine the. Northerners with this their Islamic culture. Just ordinary fake news and you want to hang people you called your followed to death. no constant power supply the government are not saying anything. No good networking system no debate but just to implement nonsentical ideology in to the land. When will this nunu drinkers wake up.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Joedoyle(m): 10:41am On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:

See this one oh! Do you think the UN and UK are in bondage like Nigeria. Ete, you need to pray for insight.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by rexscholar: 10:41am On Nov 22, 2019
HOW ABOUT DEATH PENALTY FOR CORRUPT POLITICIANS.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by akin9ja78(m): 11:05am On Nov 22, 2019
That is what there religion teaches them, if anyone comes for me na ogun go kill am.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Blackicegold(m): 11:28am On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:

Have you eaten at all? Cos u sound like one who hasn’t.

Logout, find something to eat, then you come back and look at the above rubbish you wrote.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Bambambiglo: 11:34am On Nov 22, 2019
Kenturkey048:
I also wished this....

That guy foresaw the future
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by amazon14: 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is not GEJ's administration that was licking the ass of the Western world, the UN, US and UK should not interfere in our process at all.
Nigeria is an independent sovereign country for crying out loud.

Some of us are scared to commit suicide but the new hate speech bill will now passes that buck to the government.

You will not be banned for saying this of Gej, but try it with Buhari, i am sure not only super moderator, but Seun himself will ban you for life.

NwaikpeMara
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Amarisa(f): 12:17pm On Nov 22, 2019
I watched the 'hate speech' senator trying so hard to defend his proposed bill on NTA yesterday,he was the guest on 'PLATFORM'..

When he was asked by Femi Okeowo why he proposed death sentence as penalty in the bill,he said 'the bill is still subject to review, the death sentence will be removed because I've seen that Nigerians didn't care to know the content of the bill because of the penalty', prosecution is not the major focus,fostering unity among Nigerians is the focus of the bill...

I wonder what he was thinking before!
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:29pm On Nov 22, 2019
unohbethel:
What zone b's don't know is that they will be worse off with this anti-social bill
They are what you called them!!!

If they have sense, won't they borrow sense from Sowore
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by coolflame7: 1:06pm On Nov 22, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is not GEJ's administration that was licking the ass of the Western world, the UN, US and UK should not interfere in our process at all.

Some of us are scared to commit suicide but the new hate speech bill will now passes that buck to the government.
That bill is gonna be a big failure.. #Freedom of speech
#Freedom to peaceful protest..
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by mobi99(m): 1:45pm On Nov 22, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

you talk like a compound fool, better watch your words don't just talk because other are talking
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by mobi99(m): 1:46pm On Nov 22, 2019
ArmaniUhuru:
Not long ago, SARAKI was Nigeria's only problem, yesterday it was IMPORTED RICE today it's HATE SPEECH

If Death sentence is for 'Hate Speech, What sentence will be for FAKE CAMPAIGN PROMISES?
my brother ask them oo,
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by mobi99(m): 1:48pm On Nov 22, 2019
cjudy:

Stop lying. You're in support. You don't want people to query your Lord Bubu.

We are ahead of you, so we know what Zone B like your kind are saying.
we are on the same page bro,you caught him red handed
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by nasoeb: 2:36pm On Nov 22, 2019
studio14:
Buhari and his supporters reasons from their anus
Buhari is just a clown
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Suremikky(m): 2:40pm On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:

Your mumuness Na grade 1
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Mrexcell(m): 2:41pm On Nov 22, 2019
Digitiminimi:
The United Nations and the United Kingdom have opposed the death penalty clause in the proposed National Commission for the Prohibition of Hate Speech Bill introduced by Senate Deputy Chief Whip, Sabi Abdullahi.

The UN described the death penalty as barbaric, noting that its inclusion in the bill was unacceptable.

According to the bill, any person who violates the law shall be liable to life imprisonment and where the act causes any loss of life, the person shall be punished with death by hanging.

But the spokesman, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, Mr Olusola Macaulay, in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Thursday, said the global body would not support the bill, noting that a UNESCO advocacy group, Media and Information Literacy Coalition, would soon meet with the National Assembly over the proposed legislation.

He said, “We are trying to pay an advocacy visit to the government and do some lobbying. There is a coalition working already, it was formed with the support of UNESCO.

“They are working to meet with the National Assembly to express their mind and possibly advise the government to have a different narrative to the issue of hate speech and fake news.”

Macaulay also said the UN would lobby the Federal Government on the legislation, adding that what was needed is public enlightenment and education about hate speech and not a law stipulating the death penalty for violators.

He said, “I’m not sure what the government needs now is a bill or an idea to shut down people or prevent people from being able to express themselves or express their freedom of thought or information. What I think the government should do more is to enlighten the people.”
The UN agency said most Nigerians were ignorant of issues relating to media and information literacy, noting that a harsh law was not the solution to the challenge.

The global body noted, “Every human being has the right to life and you cannot cut off people’s lives just because someone has expressed his opinion. Nobody is saying hate speech is good.

Hate speech and fake news have been there from time immemorial and it is barbaric to say now that we want to hang people because they expressed their feelings or what they had in mind. So, censoring people or limiting people from participating in politics might not be the correct thing. As I said, the best thing to do is to educate the people.”

Macaulay queried the government for not holding politicians engaging in hate speech to account, noting that many of them had said things that could destabilise the country without being held liable.

The British Government said it supports the right of individuals to express opinions and peacefully challenge authority as an essential part of a free and open society, noting that it was following discussions around the proposed legislation closely.

Commenting on the bill in an emailed response to inquiries by The PUNCH on Wednesday, Her Majesty’s Government said while it takes a strong stand against hate speech which could incite violence and damage relationships within the society, it supports “the right of individuals to express opinions and peacefully challenge authority as an essential part of a free and open society.”

The statement signed by the Senior Press and Public Affairs Officer, British High Commission, Abuja, Chris Ogunmodede, said, “The UK government is following discussions around the proposed Prohibition of Hate Speech bill closely.”

It added, “We take a strong stand against hate speech, which can incite violence and damage community relationships within society. We also strongly support the right of individuals to express opinions and peacefully challenge authority as an essential part of a free and open society.

“The UK strongly opposes the inclusion of the death penalty in any piece of legislation, as a matter of principle.”

https://punchng.com/un-uk-reject-death-penalty-for-hate-speech/

This hate speech bill is another form of sharia law in disguise. Buhari is obviously fufilling what he promised his muslim brothers during his campaigns befor the 2015 presidential elections to introduce sharia law all over nigeria.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by inyenejo(m): 4:17pm On Nov 22, 2019
No sane mind will supports apcshit/ buharigg government....
This by far the most corrupt regime ever in the history of this country, we sane minds apologise to Abacha and his family.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Enemyofpeace: 4:37pm On Nov 22, 2019
National Assembly ntoooooooooooooor!
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Ken4Christ: 5:07pm On Nov 22, 2019
The problem is not Buhari or the Senate. The followers are the problem. With all that we are going through, this party that has brought us hardship and wrong policies still won the just concluded elections in two states. I really don't know what to make of this.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 22, 2019
You are all here complaining and whining. "If there is a problem, fix it".
I LIKE TO BELIEVE THAT WE ARE STILL ALL COMFORTABLE AND THAT IS WHY WE ARE STILL HERE PRESSING THE KEYPADS ON OUR PHONES INSTEAD OF ADDRESSING THE PROBLEMS.
See Hong Kong, its a case of relentless campaign against bad governance. We haven't seen anything yet. I believe it will burn, like someone stated earlier and I want to see it burn.
And by it I mean the country
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Enemyofpeace: 6:40pm On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:

poke nosing into your business abi?not until you stop running to them for financial support
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Enemyofpeace: 7:08pm On Nov 22, 2019
mobi99:
you talk like a compound fool, better watch your words don't just talk because other are talking
he is a compound fool
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by NaMeAboki: 7:53pm On Nov 22, 2019
Digitiminimi:

Hate speech and fake news have been there from time immemorial and it is barbaric to say now that we want to hang people because they expressed their feelings or what they had in mind.

There's freedom of Speech

Hate speech is an aberration in any civilised society; just because its been there since time immemorial does not make it acceptable.

Those touting freedom of speech are only deceiving themselves and being hypocritical because there is no such thing as absolute freedom (including that of speech) where everyone is free to do as he/she likes - without infringing upon somebody's right.

For example; most countries under the said UN have laws against antisemitism; if in doubt go to Europe or America and make an anti semitic speech, then see what would happen to you - so much so for their freedom of speech.

Nigeria is at currently a crossroad where its unity and peaceful existence is being threatened by fake news and hate speeches - drastic steps need to be taken to stop the rot; the social media bill is therefore a very welcomed development; though I must admit that the death penalty may be a little too harsh.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:

black man and his myopic mentality. Shege u need help
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by GMbuharii: 8:56pm On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:

Kindly tell us the " Home country" of the UN,nepa bill degree holder lolsssssss

grin grin
lzaa immhotep bastardmod

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by LZAA: 9:19pm On Nov 22, 2019
GMbuharii:

Kindly tell us the " Home country" of the UN,nepa bill degree holder lolsssssss

grin grin
lzaa immhotep bastardmod
Chaigrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by GreyLaw(m): 10:44pm On Nov 22, 2019
BeLookingIDIOT:
According to this same UK,trying to probe the historicity of the holocaust Is classified as hate speech,and that act will land you years in jail.

In case nobody helped to explain this to you, let me do it!

The holocaust was a real event that had millions of Jews killed. If you in anyway try to disprove it or sweep it under the carpet then you are worse than those who killed those innocent humans. It is different from what we have here.

Issues surrounding the holocaust, according to you, attracts jail time. "Hate speech" in Nigeria attracts death. Does it make any sense to you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Buhari Not Alive To His Responsibilities - Afenifere / Agreement With ASSU Can't Be Implemented - FG / Jibrin, Dogara, Gbajabiamila, Others In Race For Speakership Position

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.