Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,916 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Texting Can't Kill Language - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Texting Can't Kill Language (487 Views)

Texting Can't Kill Language / My friend lied (texting Story) / Texting Story (he Hits Me But I Love Him) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Texting Can't Kill Language by Divepen1(m): 8:06am On Nov 22, 2019
Yesterday , I learnt from top linguists that chat language is the future of human language.
There's a whole Thesis on "Lol" and "slash" in America.
In case, you find yourself suddenly being transported to the future, the first wise thing to do is to ask for the chats of a 16-year old school girl. Her lexicons will be the communication language of that era.
Slash, should we be less concerned about grammar, structure.
John McWhorter, through his Tedtalk, "Txting is killing language" showed how different people talked about grammar etc. It's not new. Examples:
1. English Professor in 1956
2. Connecticut Teacher 1917
3. Charles Eliit, Havard President 1871.
4. Pedant Writing in Latin, 63AD. (This new type of Latin later became French)

In other words, someone is always worried about usage of language
Yet, language itself survives the evolution. Many of us don't evolve with it.
I'll like to write 'am fyn wif ow ur cookn' because it means I'm billingual but as a writer I must keep at my structure. So, if you're fine with your short hands, please type away.
Just watch who you use it with. Adaptability is the key here...
Re: Texting Can't Kill Language by meobizy(f): 3:50am On Nov 23, 2019
Anybody who textspeaks in this day and time deserves a thorough beating for a brain reset. In this age of full screen qwerty keyboards it takes nothing to compose properly grammared write-ups, messages included.

1 Like

Re: Texting Can't Kill Language by pabon(m): 5:36am On Nov 23, 2019
Divepen1:
Yesterday , I learnt from top linguists that chat language is the future of human language.
There's a whole Thesis on "Lol" and "slash" in America.
In case, you find yourself suddenly being transported to the future, the first wise thing to do is to ask for the chats of a 16-year old school girl. Her lexicons will be the communication language of that era.
Slash, should we be less concerned about grammar, structure.
John McWhorter, through his Tedtalk, "Txting is killing language" showed how different people talked about grammar etc. It's not new. Examples:
1. English Professor in 1956
2. Connecticut Teacher 1917
3. Charles Eliit, Havard President 1871.
4. Pedant Writing in Latin, 63AD. (This new type of Latin later became French)

In other words, someone is always worried about usage of language
Yet, language itself survives the evolution. Many of us don't evolve with it.
I'll like to write 'am fyn wif ow ur cookn' because it means I'm billingual but as a writer I must keep at my structure. So, if you're fine with your short hands, please type away.
Just watch who you use it with. Adaptability is the key here...

Well articulated, my sir!
Re: Texting Can't Kill Language by Divepen1(m): 8:25am On Nov 23, 2019
meobizy:
Anybody who textspeaks in this day and time deserves a thorough beating for a brain reset. In this age of full screen qwerty keyboards it takes nothing to compose properly grammared write-ups, messages included.
This is conservative view. It's like someone that knows that how to speak the standardized form a language and still knows the dialects of the language. He has the right to code switch or even pick one of the dialects without restriction.

Text speaking is the new language of the entertainment industry, to a limited extent. See it as your mother's tongue and the official language. You simply have to be situational while speaking because that's the only way to be human.
Haven't you spoken baby languages in one way or the other to babies? Have there not been time you reduced pace and vocabularies when speaking with children or people not fluent. Do you speak purely fluent English with your friends, family, neighbours?

So, learn text speaking, learn formal English, learn your mother's tongue. YOLO
Re: Texting Can't Kill Language by sochey(f): 11:19pm On Nov 23, 2019
Hey Divepen1

About the blockage thingy.... Please help!

(1) (Reply)

Serious Writer Needed?? / A Poem About Rape By A Nairalander / Professional Writing Services At Affordable Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.