Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko (5674 Views)

World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession / Civil War Would Have Been Shorter If Ojukwu Had Acted Like Jonathan - Danjuma / Reavealed: Ojukwu Had A Child With A Fulani Lady In 1965 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 8:17pm On Nov 20, 2010
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Mobolaji E. Aluko wrote in extending Orji's argument:

> (1) WAS OUR OJUKWU MADE INTO A "FALL GUY" HERE ? HOW COULD
> SUCH A FINAL SERIOUS DECISION BE PUT ON ONE SHOULDER ?
> I SUSPECT THAT IT WAS MORE LIKE: LEAD US OR GET OUT
> OF THE WAY ! PERSONAL ACCOUNT (AGAIN MY FATHER)
> INDICATES THAT THE TIDE WAS BY THEN TOO FAR FOR HIM TO STEM,
> AND HE IN FACT FEARED FOR HIS LIFE IF HE DID NOT GO ALONG WITH THE SECESSION.
>
> Bolaji Aluko

Let us see the merits of Col. E.O.'s analysis. To be sure, Ojukwu was ambitious. He admitted this fact in an interview held in Umuahia on 4 November 1968. This is no news. The lack of ambition is not a virtue. Suffice it to say that in 1967 the question of ambition is secondary to what had happened to easterners and what was happening to them. To date, there has been no conclusive evidence suggesting that Ojukwu was bent on creating Biafra in order to satisfy some inordinate ambition. Available evidence points otherwise. After the initial phase of the pogroms in the north in July-August 1966, Ojukwu urged eastern survivors to return to the north after conferring with his friend, Ado Bayero (the Emir of Kano). (Ojukwu had just appointed this man the Chancellor of the UNN, as a replacement to Zik.) The easterners who heeded Ojukwu's call met more massacres. There is no need to revisit the pogroms of 1966 here. It is sufficient to say, a vast majority of easterners were disenchanted with a Nigeria that did not guarantee them freedom of life and property.

An estimated thirty thousand had been murdered in other parts of Nigeria. Their relatives were not happy. Millions had returned empty-handed as refugees from other parts of Nigeria. Easterners' property had been "abandoned" for looting in other parts of Nigeria. Millions were looking up to Ojukwu to provide the kind of leadership that would lead to the fair resolution of this problem. On 19 October 1966, Gowon imposed a food blockade on Eastern Nigeria. On 31 October, Ojukwu wrote the other military governors inviting them to a meeting either in Port Harcourt or Calabar. The idea was to discuss the problems of course. Meanwhile, he also sent delegates for talks with representatives of other regions. These delegates were talking until the eastern participants felt unsafe to continue, or so they said. But tell me why I should not believe them. On 4 October, Gowon turned down the eastern proposal for confederation. UNN students began to protest chanting that "the push is complete." In effect, they were reminding Ojukwu of his earlier caveat that the east would not secede unless "pushed out".

These demonstrations continued all around the region. On new Years' eve 1967, Ojukwu warned that time was "running out while the ship of state is drifting." These were the circumstances that foreshadowed Aburi. At Aburi, Ojukwu pressed his case. He did so successfully because he had one, not necessarily, as Kirk-Greene put it, that Ojukwu was "the cleverest" or had "skillful histrionics and superior intellectual adroitness." Indeed, this characterization of Ojukwu vis a vis the other actors is true. (In fact, Brigadier Adekunle said that it was because Gowon was indolent.) But I cannot see what Ojukwu could have done if he had no case. Ojukwu went to Aburi as the sole representative of a people struggling for survival. He successfully negotiated self-determination for them. On the other hand, Gowon had ascended the highest throne in the land. He was beginning to feel comfortable in that post. The majrity of non-eastern elites were also comfortable. The fleeing easterners had abandoned property, civil and military positions which people from other parts of the country were quick to fill. While his colleagues of the SMC were wishing away the past, Ojukwu was serious consolidating his argument on that past. Ojukwu's success at Aburi owed more to the logic of immediate circumstances than to his political brinksmanship.

Back in the east, this success shored up Ojukwu's popularity. Rather than offset this popularity, Gowon's unilateral repudiation of the agreements fueled it. The crisis deepened because the interests of the two sides were diametrically opposed, in part, arising from the meddling of external interests. As easterners clamoured "On Aburi We Stand," the rest of the country clamoured for its repudiation. Ojukwu warned in a broadcast that, if by 31 March 1967, the federal side had not implemented Aburi, he would take "whatever measures may be necessary to give effect to those agreements." Ojukwu started to issue the "Survival Edicts" aimed at countering the federal blockade.

The federal government declared a state of emergency in the Eastern Region and announced the creation of 12 states on 26 May 1967. In response, Ojukwu presented three options for the consideration of the Joint Secession of the Council of Chiefs and Elders. These were: (1) accepting the terms of the North and Gowon and, therefore, submitting to the domination of the North; (2) continuing the stalemate and to drift; and (3) to ensure the survival of the people of Eastern Nigeria by asserting their autonomy. It is now history that the assemblymen and chiefs chose the third option. On 30 May 1967, Ojukwu proclaimed the independent state of Biafra. If one accepts the ambition thesis, then the Joint Session had given legitimacy to Ojukwu's inordinate desires.

But one cannot successfully condemn Ojukwu's action in presenting these options without suggesting [viable] alternatives that Ojukwu may have left out in his submission to the Joint Session. Could Ojukwu have postponed secession? In view of the federal government measures, such a postponement would have been unwarranted. For instance, the creation of states was unilateral and designed to undermine the geographical basis of Eastern Nigeria. Apart, from secession, the only option left to Ojukwu was to step down. This would have been dishonorable at a time when Easterners' grievances had not been addressed. In these circumstances, the real option open to Ojukwu was resignation. But this was dishonourable. People who never wished the easterners to live may continue to vent their frustration on Ojukwu for fulfilling a responsibility. This is how Nigerians come across when they scapegoat Ojukwu for leading their war of survival. No one can in good faith single Ojukwu out as a "former rebel," except if we accept that such a person is a crass ignoramus. One does not have to be Igbo or easterner, or their friends to see this fact.

The unpreparedness of Biafra to withstand the rigours of independence at that time was widely known, even by Ojukwu himself. He took time to warn the Joint Session of the grave consequences of secession. (Don't mind that he would tell the world a few days later that no power in "Black Africa" could beat Biafra in war.) Most people in Eastern Nigeria realized that it was better to try and die fighting than just wait to be annihilated. The dangers were real. They were not merely "perceived", as i read often on Naijanet.

[b]Ojukwu realized that the people were not looking for a wimp. A good number of capable officers could have filled the void, had Ojukwu created one. Some of these were the surviving executioners of the January 1966 coup such as Emmanuel Ifeajuna, Chukwuma Nzeogwu, Tim Onwuatuegwu and Ben Gbulie. There were also their Yoruba counterparts who had taken refuge in the east. These were Major Ademoyega, Col. Banjo, Lt. Olafemihon and Lt. Oyewole. All these January officers had no jobs or commands in the army parlance. (To give them commands to Nzeogwu & co. would be to give them power. Their remaining idle was not good as well.) I am sure that the saying, which my elementary school teacher later thought me, "an idle man is a devil's workshop," was already in vogue at the time. The January officers played cards and chequers. Nobody, including Ojukwu, was at ease with these men's presence. They had done it before and could well do it again. Actually, Major General Alex Madiebo, who later became the Biafran Army Commander, grumbles in his book that Ojukwu gave these men a lot of amenities in order to placate them. Proper attention has not been given to the implications the presence of these men may have had on the declaration of Biafra.[/b]

http://groups.google.com/group/usaafricadialogue/browse_thread/thread/f5be1064339a1613
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 8:29pm On Nov 20, 2010
The most common lie about Biafra and Ojukwu has been that he could have avoided secession.
Historical facts show that he could not, because it was NOT HIS first choice of action. The Easterners wanted secession after series of pogroms.
He successfully negotiated self determination at Aburi, only for Gowon and his allies to trash it which agitated Eastern people who went about shouting "On Aburi we stand!".  How did Gowon respond? He imposed FOOD blockade on the East, and this was MONTHS BEFORE Biafra was declared.

I can confidently conclude, that had Ojukwu not declared Biafra, other Eastern officers would have kicked him to the curb and declared it, which probably could have being a good idea because Ojukwu was not really for secession. He wanted confederation.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 8:34pm On Nov 20, 2010

On 19 October 1966, Gowon imposed a food blockade on Eastern Nigeria.

This was SEVEN MONTHS BEFORE Biafra was declared. Which means that starvation was the first weapon lunched at Biafra.

Quite interesting.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Obiagu1(m): 8:41pm On Nov 20, 2010
I've said it and will say it again, any man that equates the pogrom to the 1st cute is EVIL!

The secession was INEVITABLE after the pogrom.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 8:46pm On Nov 20, 2010

People who never wished the easterners to live may continue to vent their frustration on Ojukwu for fulfilling a responsibility. This is how Nigerians come across when they scapegoat Ojukwu for leading their war of survival. No one can in good faith single Ojukwu out as a "former rebel," except if we accept that such a person is a crass ignoramus. One does not have to be Igbo or easterner, or their friends to see this fact.

Which explains why we have unscrupulous and cowardly elements coming to nairaland to revise history and blame a man who fought reluctantly in defense of his people.

Left for Ojukwu, there would not have been a Biafra. Frankly, I wish someone more convinced took over from Ojukwu.

We could have succeeded. This was Eastern peoples mandate to him : deliver Biafra for us!

Anyway, he tried his best under the circumstance and I will always revere and salute his courage and efforts.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 20, 2010
Ojukwu remains a legendary leader in the hearts of the Igbos and that is what matters.

What is also true is that the sorry state of Nigeria 50years after independence has not vindicated the Gowons of this world.

But now is the time to move on in humility whether you from the North or the South.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by jason12345: 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2010
mikeansy:

Ojukwu remains a legendary leader in the hearts of the Igbos and that is what matters.

What is also true is that the sorry state of Nigeria 50years after independence has not vindicated the Gowons of this world.

But now is the time to move on in humility whether you from the North or the South.

thank you.

onlytruth,

if you follow my argument, you would see that what i am saying is,

1) igbos were not killed in the west or MW (except lagos because it was occupied by the military then and the mw WHEN they were liberated)
2) "biafra" was not just starved by awo, everyone was to blame

anyway, i want us to move on. . . . . . . .
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by rhymz(m): 9:13pm On Nov 20, 2010
An interesting piece I must say based on real facts and not manufactured facts. Pls, Umu nnem, I advocate that we conduct this discussion without any resort to tribal name calling or referencing any particular tribe with deregatory remarks. Let's keep it mature and civilized without anybody feeling insulted or verbally assualted, by so doing, we all will learn and educate ourselves with real unbias knowledge of our history. Thank you.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 9:24pm On Nov 20, 2010
I am only interested in facts, not lies from those who want to deny their ignoble roles in the deaths of innocent people.

Two things stand out for me:

First:
Gowon (and his advisers) imposed food blockade on Eastern Nigeria loooooooooooooooooog before Biafra was even conceived. They did so 7 months BEFORE Biafra was declared.

Second:
For Easterners to still insist on Biafra despite this blockade, tells me that they were convinced in their belief in secession. They basically decided to secede even if heavens fall.  shocked shocked
That to me is a rare demonstration of conviction and principle. cool
And when Gowon launched the war proper, the easterners (by then Biafrans) went to war on empty stomachs!  shocked shocked shocked

How many of us are as committed to anything these days?  sad sad sad cry cry
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by excanny: 9:26pm On Nov 20, 2010
jason12345:

thank you.

onlytruth,

if you follow my argument, you would see that what i am saying is,

1) igbos were not killed in the west or MW (except lagos because it was occupied by the military then and the mw WHEN they were liberated)
2) "biafra" was not just starved by awo, everyone was to blame

anyway, i want us to move on. . . . . . . .

It makes me want to puke when i hear statements like this. Were innocent Igbo civilians supposed to be killed? Are soldiers trained to slaughter defendless civilians or to confront armed aggression?

Only cowardly soldiers will practice their killing skills on defenceless civilians as the Nigerian military of the 60's.

Shame on those cowards who had never fought any decisive battle outside Nigeria and won.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by jason12345: 9:33pm On Nov 20, 2010
excanny:

It makes me want to puke when i hear statements like this. Were innocent Igbo civilians supposed to be killed? Are soldiers trained to slaughter defendless civilians or to confront armed aggression?

Only cowardly soldiers will practice their killing skills on defenceless civilians as the Nigerian military of the 60's.

Shame on those cowards who had never fought any decisive battle outside Nigeria and won.

You right. but in nigerian context back then when tribalism rules the land, a leader is seen as the representative of the people he leaders (that is, everyone from that ethnic group thinks the same way as the leader thinks. although, ignorant but that was the way they saw things then).
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 9:37pm On Nov 20, 2010
jason12345:

You right. but in nigerian context back then when tribalism rules the land, a leader is seen as the representative of the people he leaders (that is, everyone from that ethnic group thinks the same way as the leader thinks. although, ignorant but that was the way they saw things then).

I think he was talking about soldiers turning their weapons on civilians under any condition otherwise howsoever.

Tribalism or not, the soldiers of eastern Nigeria ensured that all non-easterners were not harmed in the east.
Even soldier of northern extraction in the East were allowed to return to their region ARMED.

Eastern soldiers were DISARMED before sending them to the East.

Clearly one region was honorable, others weren't.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by OkwyNnewi(m): 9:44pm On Nov 20, 2010
Ojukwu did what he had to do. Though we failed, we shall rise again. Nigeria will someday learn the hard way.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 9:45pm On Nov 20, 2010
Could it be that honor and maintenance of honorable conduct was the beginning of Biafra's failure?
I have seen several evidence that Biafra could have at least taken some position devoid of honor, from Aburi to the war proper. Why did Biafra only hope for others' honor, when they don't share values with Biafrans?

When Gowon blockaged Eastern Nigeria in October 1966, wasn't it enough signal of what to expect from his leadership in Nigeria?
Why send home northern soldiers with their weapons, when they disarmed Eastern soldiers? Sounds really naive.

I guess it is a pattern of Igbo thinking whereby we always assume that our enemy is like us.
Quite childish.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by jason12345: 9:48pm On Nov 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

I think he was talking about soldiers turning their weapons on civilians under any condition otherwise howsoever.

Tribalism or not, the soldiers of eastern Nigeria ensured that all non-easterners were not harmed in the east.
Even soldier of northern extraction in the East were allowed to return to their region ARMED.

Eastern soldiers were DISARMED before sending them to the East

Clearly one region was honorable, others weren't.

how are you so sure of that? anyway, if it was true then it is indeed honourable.

OkwyNnewi:

Ojukwu did what he had to do. Though we failed, we shall rise again. Nigeria will someday learn the hard way.

my brother pls, let go of the hate. it is this hate that is making nigeria suspicious of an igbo man to be president.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 9:50pm On Nov 20, 2010
jason12345:

how are you so sure of that? anyway, if it was true then it is indeed honourable.

Oh you mean you didn't know about that part of the war history?
Ol' boy I've told you to read up first before commenting here.

It happened.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by amingafar(m): 9:54pm On Nov 20, 2010
no one is debating wether ojukwu had the choice or not- ibos were going to die whether there was biafra or one nigeria. most of us in thenorth were mad and some still when reminded. . .

the argument is ojukwu faults  in not ending the war when advised and the fact that ibos continue to sweep the death of balewa and bello under the carpet.

calling the coupist "nationalist"
stating they wanted to make awo president
major kaduna was an hausaman and not ibo

all types of lies thats where d debate is. that point in time there was nothing anyone could do to stop ibos from dying at the hands of revengeful northerners, sorry to saybut its true.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by jason12345: 9:55pm On Nov 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

Oh you mean you didn't know about that part of the war history?
Ol' boy I've told you to read up first before commenting here.

It happened.

i have read about it but surprisingly i have never come across that part of the story. what book did you read or where did you get that part of the story from?
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by amingafar(m): 9:56pm On Nov 20, 2010
jason12345:

my brother pls, let go of the hate. it is this hate that is making nigeria suspicious of an igbo man to be president.

lies there was a video of a nigerian soldier captured by biafran being humiliated held bygun point and forced to walk unclothed- not sure but i think he was killed
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 9:59pm On Nov 20, 2010
jason12345:

i have read about it but surprisingly i have never come across that part of the story. what book did you read or where did you get that part of the story from?

Like I told you, it happened. You need to find the material yourself or wait until someone charitable gives you the source. I don't have time for that.
It is a common fact. Everybody knows it happened.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 10:01pm On Nov 20, 2010
amingafar:

lies there was a video of a nigerian soldier captured by biafran being humiliated held bygun point and forced to walk unclothed- not sure but i think he was killed

Compare that with an innocent man arrested, his hands and feet tied like a goat and shot in the head in full view of INTERNATIONAL Newsmen.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by excanny: 10:05pm On Nov 20, 2010
amingafar:

no one is debating wether ojukwu had the choice or not- ibos were going to die whether there was biafra or one nigeria. most of us in thenorth were mad and some still when reminded. . .

the argument is ojukwu faults  in not ending the war when advised and the fact that ibos continue to sweep the death of balewa and bello under the carpet.

calling the coupist "nationalist"
stating they wanted to make awo president
major kaduna was an hausaman and not ibo

all types of lies thats where d debate is. that point in time there was nothing anyone could do to stop ibos from dying at the hands of revengeful northerners, sorry to saybut its true.

My friend, let me ask you a question based on your bolded statement, and your response will determine if i'll ignore you or not.

Who foiled the January 16 coup that killed Balewa?
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by jason12345: 10:07pm On Nov 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

Like I told you, it happened. You need to find the material yourself or wait until someone charitable gives you the source. I don't have time for that.
It is a common fact. Everybody knows it happened.

i will try to do even more research but i believe this is where dishonesty comes in. the reason i am saying this is, if you cannot provide a source of your information it might as well be a folk tale (with due respect). we have to be open when discussing this issue.

how come no one has ever said that happened?
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by amingafar(m): 10:07pm On Nov 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

Compare that with an innocent man arrested, his hands and feet tied like a goat and shot in the head in full view of INTERNATIONAL Newsmen.

so because the newmen were international its suppose to make a difference.

was Bello not an innocent man?
was Balewa not an innocent man?
what of akintola who did he kill ?
Okotie eboh did he murder anyone?
[size=14pt]Brigadier Ademulegun and his eight-month pregnant wife ?[/size]
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by jason12345: 10:08pm On Nov 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

you cannot use that to judge. other WORSE atrocities might have been committed by biafran soldier without the world knowing.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by amingafar(m): 10:10pm On Nov 20, 2010
amingafar:

so because the newmen were international its suppose to make a difference.

was Bello not an innocent man?
was Balewa not an innocent man?
what of akintola who did he kill ?
Okotie eboh did he murder anyone?
[size=14pt]Brigadier Ademulegun and his eight-month pregnant wife ?[/size]
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by amingafar(m): 10:12pm On Nov 20, 2010
These are things that ibos have to understand theres nothing personal against ibos Im just letting you know how things work

You cannot kill my father and expect me not to kill your whole family
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by Onlytruth(m): 10:12pm On Nov 20, 2010
I really have a hunch that a fulltime career soldier like Maj Gen Alexander Madiebo could have made a better Biafran leader. I suspect he would not have made the same strategic mistakes by Ojukwu.

I really suspect that it was Ojukwu's idea to put the Biafran Expeditionary force under Col Victor Banjo because Ojukwu was too cosmopolitan. Ojukwu spoke fluent Yoruba and called Awolowo "Papa". undecided undecided

That must have undermined his sense of cold strategic planning needed to win the war.  Ojukwu was a graduate soldier and I don't think you needed to be that to win the type of war Biafra was supposed to fight.
Because of that, Ojukwu and Effiong keep using standard British fighting strategy (with little or no weapons undecided) instead of a Maoist strategy needed to neutralize organized enemy forces.

Just my hunch.  cool
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by chyz(m): 10:13pm On Nov 20, 2010
amingafar:

That video you are talking about has been posted many times on nairaland and also again discussed recently. It was a video of Biafrans being caught by nigerian soldiers and paraded unclothed. So yea you're wrong. And btw, He was referring to northern soldiers being let leave the Eastern region to return home with their guns as being an honorable act by the Easterners. That was before the war started. Get it right.
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by amingafar(m): 10:14pm On Nov 20, 2010
chyz:

That video you are talking about has been posted many times on nairaland and also again discussed recently. It was a video of Biafrans being caught by nigerian soldiers and paraded unclothed. So yea you're wrong. And btw, He was referring to northern soldiers being let leave the Eastern region to return home with their guns as being an honorable act by the Easterners. That was before the war started. Get it right.

If i was wrong in my quote fine.

but as I said.
amingafar:

You cannot kill my father and expect me not to kill your whole family
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by TewMuch: 10:16pm On Nov 20, 2010
Lmao.oh this is crap.Very selective articles OnlyTruth.Do you support articles that feed ur trollish appetite?
I have a few questions for you.Could the coup have been averted by Igbo military elders choosing a more sensible ground than exterminating their superior's and mates? Even after this coupists acted could the progrom have been averted by the Igbo military leader's taking a stand a punishing the coupist's to distance them and the Igbo from being held responsible?Even a blind man could see the progrom or a reprisal attack was inevitable.After the progrom, Ojukwu could still have negotiated something.I know you have chosen to ignore Al-harem's post written by an Ohaneze elder who clearly and intelligently states where ojukwu flawed and failed.He also stated how the casualties of that war could have been much less if Ojukwu had let go of his pride and negotiated.Don't bring selective articles here and hope people take you seriously.Ojukwu the young, inexperienced officer, who didn't have much field experience took it upon himself to be the leader of the Biafran war.What a herculean task.He also failed to listen to his elder's and voice of reason because his money was bigger than theirs.Until you accept the Ojukwu's pride was the cause of this, then you have not started the reconcilliation process.This article is an opinion, post articles of people in the thick of the war, and people that saw the horror's.Your Igbo elder's are talking, you don't want to listen.You want to keep up the Proud rubbish u have been spewing on NL, and so you look for opinionated articles.This war, progrom and everything that happened could have been averted.If Igbo leader's had the courage to stand up to Ojukwu and distance themselves from such a devilish act. You may be crying for the dead of the Biafran war, both sides had casualties as well.Be more objective and take on the other articles as well or else, this your article stands for nothing and you should also be IGNORED!
Re: Biafran Secession: Ojukwu Had No Choice - Bolaji Aluko by jason12345: 10:17pm On Nov 20, 2010
what amingafar is saying is reasonable. onlytruth, you have to admit that the day those leaders were killed that was the day the war started. you would have done the same thing if zik, ojukwu and okpara were killed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Rochas Okorocha,sues Uche Ogbuagu #10 Billion / False Statements PDP Wailers Attribute To PMB Debunked / Not Even INEC Can Save Wike – Princewill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.