Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) (8831 Views)

Tecno Spark 5 Unboxing And Review: To Buy Or Not To Buy?! / Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 – A Perfect Upgrade? / Tecno Phantom 8 - A Smarter Phone For A Smoother Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 1:25pm On Nov 22, 2019
REDMI NOTE 8 REVIEW...

So, I made the decision to switch from my battle-worn, tired, trusted Redmi Note 4x for the Redmi Note 8. I was one of the early adopters, so, I got the Chinese Version 4gb/64gb, hence, no MTN 4G for me… You all are familiar with the specs so I am not going to bore you with that nor the specifics of the design.

DISPLAY
The phone spots a 6.43 FHD+ display, personally, I have a thing against displays that are lower that FHD, it’s why the Mi A3 despite the promise of AMOLED, (which I love so much) and a theoretically better camera was never an option. This was my first phone with an 18:9 aspect ratio, so the longer and narrower display was a bit awkward at the beginning but I am now at home with it. The colours are vivid, true to life and I have no problem using my phone under direct sunlight. I am not a gamer but I downloaded a couple of games just to test the performance level of the phone (more on that later), and the colour reproduction was wonderful. Some users have complained about screen bleeding on their own units but I don’t have such problems
DISPALAY 9/10.

CONNECTIVITY
The phone comes with all the usual Redmi bells and whistles that are trademarks of the Redmi brand. Bluetooth, IR, WIFI, etc. And they all work as expected. Sadly, I got the Chinese version, so there is no MTN 4G for me. All other Major networks work really fine…
9/10

CAMERA AND VIDEO
One of the selling points of the Redmi Note 8 is its camera, the quad setup is novel, first of its kind among the Redmi line-up. The main camera is a 48MP (wide) an 8MP (ultra-wide) 2MP (depth sensor) and 2MP (macro). The 48MP shoots excellent photos in daylight, I am not really impressed with the night shots nor portrait mode probably because I expected more. Gen gen gen… enter GCAM and everything changes. The HDR enhanced portrait mode is maaaaaad… The night-mode is one of the best I have seen on a budget smartphone. The GCAM mod available for the Note 8 is incredible. The video is actually nice. The EIS prevents shaky videos. The slow-mo is a meh affair but it’s serviceable.
7/10

PERFORMANCE
The phone is equipped with a Snapdragon 665; the performance is similar to that of Snapdragon 660, but the GPU of the Note 7 is a tad superior to the 665's Adreno 612. It’s snappy. It has dealt admirably well with everything I have thrown at it. I am not a gamer, but I downloaded Call of Duty and PUBG on it, and it ran both flawlessly. My Redmi Note 4 was the 3gb and 32gb variant, and I observed that apps refreshed in the background when I was multitasking, but I have not experienced any of such problems with the Redmi Note 8
8/10

SOFTWARE
Like I said, I got the Chinese version, it was not that bad, but the intrusive Chinese language was annoying, especially in the browser and music apps. But the battery performance was better. I applied and successfully unlocked my bootloader after seven days. I flashed the global rom, and I had a better performance. During the first setup, I disabled show recommendation so, I don’t get the annoying ads that have characterized MIUI. The MIUI is highly customisable, within the space of three weeks, I have used a pixel, iPhone, and Samsung OneUI themes; the dark mode works very well. However, I observed that the battery performance was significantly better on the Chinese ROM. Don’t get me wrong, I am getting 10hrs+ on the Global rom, but I was getting more than 12 hours while the phone was running the Chinese ROM
7/10

SOUND
Sound is generally okay, nothing flamboyant and nothing to complain about.
7/10

BIOMETRICS
The fingerprint and face unlock work well
8/10

BATTERY
The Redmi Note 8 is equipped with a 4000 MAH battery. The performance is very similar to that of my old Redmi Note 4x. It lasts a full day on heavy usage. I don’t use the Battery Saver mode, yet I change my phone just once in the morning, and I am good for the rest of the day.
8.5/10

PROS
Excellent performance and battery life
Highly customisable and feature-laden
Class-leading Camera (With GCAM)
Fantastic Display
Incredible value for money

CONS
Limited 4G bands (On Chinese model)
Average performance by the stock camera (I suspect the ROM has not been finetuned to optimise the Quad-Bayer sensor) I hope an update will fix that.
Slow-mo is meh at best
The Chinese ROM has better battery performance than the Global ROM

Update: apparently, an EU ROM was released for Note 8 and 8 PRO yesterday…

N.B: Forgive all infelicities; I am an amateur. However, you can ask me any question about the phone, I have had it for about 4 weeks

7 Likes

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by ruggedtimi(m): 2:16pm On Nov 22, 2019
i am planning to buy the note 8 soon. How is the camera quality?
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 2:19pm On Nov 22, 2019
ruggedtimi:
i am planning to buy the note 8 soon. How is the camera quality?
It's nice... However, if you install Google Camera, you will be flabbergasted

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by ruggedtimi(m): 2:24pm On Nov 22, 2019
bolakale30:

It's nice... However, if you install Google Camera, you will be flabbergasted
Does it come with earpods inside box?
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by rowland545(m): 2:30pm On Nov 22, 2019
Wats d front camera quality
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 2:31pm On Nov 22, 2019
ruggedtimi:
Does it come with earpods inside box?
Nope it doesn't
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 2:32pm On Nov 22, 2019
rowland545:
Wats d front camera quality
13MP, the selfies are generally nice.
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 22, 2019
Good analysis!
But i did'nt quite get the point you raised in the 2nd paragraph...

Which has a better screen display between the a3 & note 8?
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by darmostic(m): 3:05pm On Nov 22, 2019
Please can airpod 5.0 chip be used with the 4.2 bluetooth chip of redmi note 8?
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by ZesusHVWritter(m): 3:47pm On Nov 22, 2019
darmostic:
The redmi note 8 is governed by the sd 665 chipset and the chipset comes embedded with Bluetooth 5.0 not 4.2.
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 22, 2019
I am using redmi note 8 and the camera is madddd.. pic taken with redmi note 8... Look the Nokia glass well you will see the Redmi grin. Also below is Redmi wireless Airdots... grin. I screenshot the pictures so that it can meet Nairaland photo quality requirements... If you see the main photos ehn.... And it has ultrawide lens... And Night mode.. lol.. just like iphone 11..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by ZesusHVWritter(m): 3:58pm On Nov 22, 2019
bolakale30:
REDMI NOTE 8 REVIEW...

DISPLAY
The phone spots a 6.43 FHD+ display,
The display is 6.3 not 6.43. Though it would have been great if it was 6.4. The only reason I am considering the realme 5s is due to the 6.5inch screen but at just hd display, the realme 5s might remain sub-per to the redmi note 8.
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 22, 2019
Moonlight colour still my favourite because of the aluminium edges on the device...gives you the feel like an iphone X... cheesy grin. And the earpiece jack is now under the device unlike Redmi Note 7 that the ear piece jack is up....... Well what do i knw...and again the Mi Airdots is fascinating me... It sounds so perfect.. i never expected this..
Photo taken by Nokia X6.. screenshot before posting this too..
Nokia camera isn't bad after all grin

3 Likes

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by Tiztonio(m): 4:09pm On Nov 22, 2019
My redmi note 8 moonlight white global version will be coming tomorrow. How is the battery like?
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by jboixxx: 5:09pm On Nov 22, 2019
Tiztonio:
My redmi note 8 moonlight white global version will be coming tomorrow. How is the battery like?
Wait till you have it! No review that's as good as self experience. User handling and pattern of usage matters and affects battery experience. You're almost there! wink

6 Likes

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by skywolf28(m): 5:41pm On Nov 22, 2019
My redmi note 8 is coming..........
Will update more then grin grin grin
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by vaca1: 6:12pm On Nov 22, 2019
Got mine last week. Loving it big time
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 7:08pm On Nov 22, 2019
ZesusHVWritter:

The display is 6.3 not 6.43. Though it would have been great if it was 6.4. The only reason I am considering the realme 5s is due to the 6.5inch screen but at just hd display, the realme 5s might remain sub-per to the redmi note 8.
Thanks for the correction.

2 Likes

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by codedflowz(m): 7:14pm On Nov 22, 2019
I'm definitely getting mine soon smiley
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by ZhyonKross(m): 8:41pm On Nov 22, 2019
Please what do you mean by screen bleeding kindly explain more
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by Vicboi1(m): 10:44pm On Nov 22, 2019
Pascalville:
Moonlight colour still my favourite because of the aluminium edges on the device...gives you the feel like an iphone X... cheesy grin. And the earpiece jack is now under the device unlike Redmi Note 7 that the ear piece jack is up....... Well what do i knw...and again the Mi Airdots is fascinating me... It sounds so perfect.. i never expected this..
Photo taken by Nokia X6.. screenshot before posting this too..
Nokia camera isn't bad after all grin

I so much love this color mehn it's awesome

1 Like

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by kebliss(m): 10:54pm On Nov 22, 2019
I need the Redmi note 8 global version preferably the moonlight color.
I am I'm ph
Price
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by oneda(m): 12:24am On Nov 23, 2019
I ordered a CN version too. So even with the Global or EU rom I can't get mtn 4g?
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by skywolf28(m): 6:30am On Nov 23, 2019
kebliss:
I need the Redmi note 8 global version preferably the moonlight color.
I am I'm ph
Price

Contact macbeyland +2348062907289

1 Like

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 7:18am On Nov 23, 2019
oneda:
I ordered a CN version too. So even with the Global or EU rom I can't get mtn 4g?
No you can't. You should have bought the global version here in Nigeria. I got mine for 69,000 when it newly came out. When I saw the launch price in Nigeria, I almost wept.
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 7:19am On Nov 23, 2019
ZhyonKross:
Please what do you mean by screen bleeding kindly explain more
Some users online claim there was screen retention on their units. It's prolly defective units isss

1 Like

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 7:20am On Nov 23, 2019
codedflowz:
I'm definitely getting mine soon smiley
You should.

1 Like

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 7:20am On Nov 23, 2019
Tiztonio:
Battery life is great. But it's usage dependent o.

1 Like

Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 7:22am On Nov 23, 2019
darmostic:
Yes it can. 5.0 is compatible with older versions of Bluetooth technology
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by bolakale30(m): 7:24am On Nov 23, 2019
Seenyo:
Good analysis!
But i did'nt quite get the point you raised in the 2nd paragraph...

Which has a better screen display between the a3 & note 8?
Amoleds offer punchier colours than IPS LCD displays.
However, the beauty of that amoled is ruined by the resolution, as at 720p, pixel peeping si quite possible at least for a trained eye
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 23, 2019
bolakale30:

Amoleds offer punchier colours than IPS LCD displays.
However, the beauty of that amoled is ruined by the resolution, as at 720p, pixel peeping si quite possible at least for a trained eye
i get it now.
Re: Redmi Note 8: A Review... (to Buy Or Not To Buy Is The Question) by gpercuxionz(m): 8:10am On Nov 23, 2019
My redmi note 8 is up for quick sale.. Global version, black colour and 3gb/32gb rom. Phone is mad when I mean mad I mean mad. Price 55k. Slightly negotiable. Accessories, receipt and carton intact.. Reach me on 070.63884.158. Location Lagos

1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

New 3000 Mah Battery For Infinix Hot 2 / NCC Fines Airtel, 9mobile N136m For Violating Industry Regulations / Samsung Galaxy A30 OR Huawei Y9?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.