Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? (19609 Views)

When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC / Why And How Do You Loose Your Last Job / 'I Left My Last Job Because My Boss Put His Hands On A Female Employee' - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 7:05pm On Nov 23, 2019
This is a very tactic questions for applicant especially when they are fired from their previous job.
To answer this tricky question, let's start with things you shouldn't say!.

*Do not say things that express negativity towards your old employer, the recruiter see this as a red flag, they will see you as someone who is bitter and negative and you would not he hired. Ensure your language is neutral and try to be calm.

*Do not over load the interviewer with details and in depth reasons, don't sound defensive and go into details of what happen from your own side of the story.

* You should not lie about the reason you left your old job but be very smart with how you tell the truth! Lying could hurt you if they do a reference check and trust me, most organisations do!. What I mean by being smart about telling the truth is.... not lying but not saying the intended truth...for examples. You don't want to tell the recruiter you left your previous job because you got a better pay in another company, they feel you are all about the money even though that's one the big reasons we work. You could say you left because you got a more challenging job that put your talents into resourceful use and in the previous job your talents was not fully utilised. Or better still you could say because the reward do not commensurate the effort and your cost of service compared to the pay do not leave anything to save. That is a smart truth!. ( but this is when you left the company on your own)

*Do not feel awkward when answering the question try to be calm, your body language could mean you are lying even when you are telling the truth and being nervous denotes a lack of confident in the eye of the employer.

What you should do

*Tell the truth and be Honest. It always pay
*Always give detail not a novel you dont have to tell the whole story in other to make sense that's not the best use of your interview time.
*whatever reasons given, ensure you go back to why you are the suitable candidate for the position they are hiring for. Your focus is not on your old job but this one so stop spending time why you left the old job and start convincing to why you are better at this new job.

If you are fire because your performance was bad.
Do not lie about it. Remember, say the truth smartly. You do not want to say you could not perform because you don't know how to do your task well ...... the recruiter will you as unteachable and someone who does not want to learn.

Answer like this: After some management changes it become clearer that the new director had new expectations for my role that was didnt line up with my strengths so he eventually brought in someone from the previous company who had more experience. This experience taught me that my real talents is (the position you are applying for) I would like to discuss my expertise if you like.

Employmenthub is a CV builder hub where we make professional CV for experienced and inexperienced applicant to get them interview for their dream job @ the lowest rate, our services speaks for us. We also send free job vacancies to all our client, do preliminary interviews, training applicant on how to answer all interview questions before the real interview sessions.

Follow us on instagram: @employment_hub, whatsapp 08080756701 or call....

Tell a friend to tell a friend

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by moscobabs(m): 6:40am On Nov 24, 2019
Hunnm, the best paying job I ever got in my life.

The job didn't give me time to take care of my wife who had an accident...my family first,then I tendered my resignation,they were surprised but I have to leave.

It took me another 9months before I got another one. But I never regret leaving the job.

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by tropaz(m): 6:40am On Nov 24, 2019
PEOPLE DON'T LEAVE BAD JOBS, THEY ONLY LEAVE A TOXIC WORK ENVIRONMENT!!!

#ELELE

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by 2extremes(m): 6:41am On Nov 24, 2019
I told the wife of the MD/CEO that she smells nice grin

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Niyeal(m): 6:41am On Nov 24, 2019
My salary was too small

27 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by alonzoiv(m): 6:41am On Nov 24, 2019
The acceptable reasons for leaving a job would be, better opportunities or a pay rise. Other reasons could be, to change locations or explore other places.

To those seeking for employment, I pray that you find favour today and that this incoming week will bear good news for you all.

122 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Henriksen(m): 6:41am On Nov 24, 2019
Need new one
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 24, 2019
Burnt out and needed a fresh place.

7 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by holina: 6:42am On Nov 24, 2019
I slapped my boss

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nvc078: 6:42am On Nov 24, 2019
I left it cos of salary.
.yes my salary was increased and my task reduced so I left. I needed more challenging jobs

9 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by abelswife(f): 6:43am On Nov 24, 2019
I was underpaid and overworked.

Closing at 8pm. 30k salary for a graduate.

Transportation alone was like 25k for the month. But I needed to leave the house.
Worked there for only 3months and ran.

Got another one for 50k afterwards, I was going to work from Sunday to Sunday, the employer kept on owing. He will pay January salary on the 16th of February and pay February salary on the 30th of March, I worked for 2months and ran after I made enquiries and realized he's owing some staff for 6months.

I stayed at home for a long time before I got this one. I'm being paid just a little above the last one but salary comes every 26th. I observe all the public holidays, close at 5pm dot and I dont work weekends.
I'll keep searching for better offers until I get my miracle job. For me, a good offer is one that pays me well, doesn't owe, and still gives me time for myself. Come work no be come die.

194 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by millionboi2: 6:43am On Nov 24, 2019
Op why ask
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by itsene: 6:44am On Nov 24, 2019
Dismissed/Laid off/Just walked out.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by MicroBox: 6:44am On Nov 24, 2019
Because na so so work day and night. Though many would not consider leaving it cos of its six figure pay, but life is not do or die..

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by itsme01: 6:45am On Nov 24, 2019
i made more money on my own and had to move
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by stanliwiser: 6:46am On Nov 24, 2019
Lack of Money and bad work policy is the major reason why anyone would leave their job in Nigeria this days

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by hardbody: 6:46am On Nov 24, 2019
Better pay, better recognition, more challenges and enhanced career, plus I was headhunted

5 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by kesonas(m): 6:47am On Nov 24, 2019
Over worked and under paid

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by wunmi590(m): 6:49am On Nov 24, 2019
shocked

Hmmm, what can I say, honestly since I left FCMB, other jobs I have been getting are just crap.

I left my last retail company as the head of administration/facility maintenance manager, just because:

1. I have an abusive female bosses (Both the mother and the daughter, mother the MD while daughter the head of operations.
2. You can imagine a boss sending you home to your parent with all kind if abuse.
3. My heart always beep when I want to leave home for work just because of fear.
4. I was under pay with huge responsibility 100k
5. I work from Monday to Saturday, no time for myself.

Luckily for me, I got another job, a retail company again as the head and supervisor of a store branch, same treatment as above.

You can imagine a graduate being sent to buy Eba, moimoi and all kind of food from mama put grin

Generally female boss are just mean, sometimes money is not all, you just have to know your worth before you develope hypertension.

What is the essence of earning big and you are not enjoying what you are earning.

No time for yourself not to talk of family.

All company is a barrack, soldier go soldier come, no company is worth dieing for, no matter how much they pay you, if you are being treated badly just like the above except your own company or family company.

72 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by invigilator(m): 6:55am On Nov 24, 2019
The stress was much couple with the equipments and Machines being outdated for a standard 21st century factory. I was required to work overtime, been called at late hours outside my shifts to come to troubleshoot issues and when i do, they refuse to provide a means for me to go back home and rest so i have to stay still the next morning. The pay was not bad oh but I was more like a controlled robot that was programmed with all the remedies of restoring the factory yet having no time for myself. I left sha, got something I hope it'll be different, waiting to resume next month

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Hubsolar: 6:56am On Nov 24, 2019
Irregular payments, late working hours, wicked bosses

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by toprealman: 6:57am On Nov 24, 2019
2extremes:
I told the wife of the MD/CEO that she smells nice grin
She gat zero joy broda

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Ejadike(m): 7:01am On Nov 24, 2019
Most of the people commenting obviously didn't read the post. Nobody asked you to tell your story, the op was only teaching you guys how to answer "why did you leave your job" question during an interview. Smh

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Lynx001: 7:04am On Nov 24, 2019
It was my first job. I just left skul. My pay was 5k.(not per week oo). Per mönth. my boss used his house as his base.
job description. Package perfume oil in customized packs. Then deliver around PH. He told me that he did nt have tym to do his house chores which was only to wash plate only. I agreed since its only to wash plate and he added 2k öntop My Pay. His family pipul took advantage of it.
i started washìng plate. No p.
im mama go tell me to weed d compound. Wash toilet. Mop house. Cut ugwu. select beans. Clean snail. Anytym call enter 4 me to deliver perfume i go happy. As i left hìs hauz (our company) to deliver d product I will waste tym so that i will com back late. i will trek frm rumuola to garrisön. If d delivery take me to govt house area i go enter spar rest. lie say na traffic. God help me i lèft there.

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by philip0906(m): 7:05am On Nov 24, 2019
I left for 3 reasons;

1. Toxic work environment. Staff doing eye service, azz licking all around and lots of senseless politicking.

2. Senile line manager. Mo'fvcka would literally throw his subordinates under the bus once he was in a fix.

3. Poor pay. Considering efforts put in, relative to other staff in same level, pay was poor.

Now once I got an offer and was asked why I was leaving my former job, I stuck to only number 1 and asked in return if my new work place was toxic too...else, j would turn down the offer.

12 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Onyi90(m): 7:05am On Nov 24, 2019
Low pay, harsh working environment, over time exploitation, troublesome boss, late payment of salary etc

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by technuel: 7:07am On Nov 24, 2019
Nigeria is just a dead Country
Had it been in a sane Country employers of Labour would have to obey some of the Labour Laws. Graduates are really suffering in this Country.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Onyi90(m): 7:07am On Nov 24, 2019
Ejadike:
Most of the people commenting obviously didn't read the post. Nobody asked you to tell your story, the op was only teaching you guys how to answer "why did you leave your job" question during an interview. Smh
Mr understanding, please pack well. Infact take am

68 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 24, 2019
Unai Emery: Good ebening, i left my job because of the he pay. I got a better paying job.

So Pocketino can come take over.
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by franchasng: 7:10am On Nov 24, 2019
Most Nigerians are lazy to be honest and that is why Nigeria is struggling economically. We all want a job that will pay us 1million naira a month and our job role will be to be pressing computer from 9am to 5pm, monday to friday, and on the 25th of the month, they will pay us 1million Naira.

Once you are made a manager or supervisor in Nigeria, it automatically means you are not supposed to do any work again, you become overnight boss bossing every employee around to do the job....

The maintenance manager in a Nigerian company will never touch the spanner, will never know how to loosen a bolt, will never know how to apply grease......that is the Nigerian failed, lazy work setting....but I tell you guys, it is not like that abroad. If you are the manager in a company in Europe, Asia, or even USA, you are the one that will lead the work...you work more than your subordinates not pressing computer and browsing fine girls on Facebook and booking hotels and flights and be forming boss like all Nigerian managers and head of departments do, and reason Nigerian firms don't last more than 50 years.

If you have a relation or close friend that live outside Africa, ask them the work ethics of Asians, Americans, Europeans, etc. You must work for your pay...you must justify the hour you are paid for.

Haven't you guys wondered why your friends and relatives living abroad hardly have time to answer your calls or engage in frivolities like those working in Nigeria It is because they work their pay!!

If you doubt me, try and travel out of Nigeria and work....then you will realize that Nigerians are not working, they just want to be paid huge without working for it.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by idu1(m): 7:15am On Nov 24, 2019
abelswife:
I was underpaid and overworked.

Closing at 8pm. 30k salary for a graduate.

Transportation alone was like 25k for the month. But I needed to leave the house.
Worked there for only 3months and ran.

Got another one for 50k afterwards, I was going to work from Sunday to Sunday, the employer kept on owing. He will pay January salary on the 16th of February and pay February salary on the 30th of March, I worked for 2months and ran after I made enquiries and realized he's owing some staff for 6months.

I stayed at home for a long time before I got this one. I'm being paid just a little above the last one but salary comes every 26th. I observe all the public holidays, close at 5pm dot and I dont work weekends.
I'll keep searching for better offers until I get my miracle job. For me, a good offer is one that pays me well, doesn't owe, and still gives me time for myself. Come work no be come die.

I'm putting you in prayer. You ll resume your dream job February 2020

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Problems With Learning A Handwork. / 5 Work-from-home Jobs In Nigeria / I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.